Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787, 1788 ... 1849  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 am 

Frodder wrote:
Excuse the interjection but Sam Moore is ours - hands off.

Our options at 8 are not Toby, a 6 filling in at 8 and er.........that's it

We’ve got Carwyn too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:27 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
4071 wrote:
Would quite like to see Ryan Mills being considered at 12.

We have tried out Loz and Francis - who are similar in the sense of being physically strong, ball-playing second 5/8ths - but Mills seems classier than both and has only been held back by injury over the years. He put together a good run last season, with him and Hougaard being key to Worcester's revival when they came back from injuries, and he's playing really well this season. He's consistent, which is something he has over Francis at least.

He's like a version of 12T that you can actually rely on.

Either him or Sam James.

Or... how has Devoto been playing this season? He's starting regularly now, isn't he?

Basically, anyone but Barritt....

Big fan of Ryan Mills here, but will he likely suffer the same fate as Chris Pennell?

If he's played for the first team, where do they have Ollie Lawrence? There were some moments in the U20s match I saw where I wasn't impressed, but physically, he looks a freak.

100% agree on Ryan Mills. He’s been playing very well for Worcester for a while now.

Ollie Lawrence is a 13 so they can play together. Will Butler is their next 12 (who is also very good).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:39 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
f**king hell edf, maybe wind your neck in even slightly? You're coming over like Ika.

JM2K6 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Aye, with Clifford being a perma-crock our best option is Ross from Sale, who I think is a worthy player but not international quality.

again, I really don't care enough about the specifics of each player to be pushing for Player X > Player Y at Number 8. FWIW I'm sure Ross would do a perfectly workmanlike, Waldrom-esque job for England

my point was more that (in the medium/long-term) we may need to rethink what role we actually want from our Number 8 given the sort of 8 we tend to produce in abundance

I think you're both right, honestly. Eddie's banked on players we don't have good backup for.

There's been no obvious reason beyond face-doesn't-fit-itis why Eddie has consistently overlooked Morgan at 8, to the point of playing Robbo at 8 instead. Having 3 guys who can function at test level in a bulldozer role is plenty. 2 isn't quite enough

To be fair Morgan's not a consistent starter for Glaws these days, often rides the pine. IIRC that was partly due to injuries last season.

A real shame about Morgan, he was comparable with Billy V at one point, a bit less of a heavy carrier but a faster one, but injuries seem to have ruined him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:52 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
f**king hell edf, maybe wind your neck in even slightly? You're coming over like Ika.

JM2K6 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
again, I really don't care enough about the specifics of each player to be pushing for Player X > Player Y at Number 8. FWIW I'm sure Ross would do a perfectly workmanlike, Waldrom-esque job for England

my point was more that (in the medium/long-term) we may need to rethink what role we actually want from our Number 8 given the sort of 8 we tend to produce in abundance

I think you're both right, honestly. Eddie's banked on players we don't have good backup for.

There's been no obvious reason beyond face-doesn't-fit-itis why Eddie has consistently overlooked Morgan at 8, to the point of playing Robbo at 8 instead. Having 3 guys who can function at test level in a bulldozer role is plenty. 2 isn't quite enough

To be fair Morgan's not a consistent starter for Glaws these days, often rides the pine. IIRC that was partly due to injuries last season.

A real shame about Morgan, he was comparable with Billy V at one point, a bit less of a heavy carrier but a faster one, but injuries seem to have ruined him.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, would you be picking Morgan at 8 or 12?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:01 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:

Scrum half of course. Where he's obviously always played.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:04 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

Scrum half of course. Where he's obviously always played.

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:35 pm 

Re. Morgan it’s more a case of Eddie not really liking the look of him. Ironically, his best club form ever has been during the time he’s been out of the equation with England.

Ackermann senior rotates him with Ackermann junior but he still gets a good amount of game time and has been playing pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:58 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
That's odd, eldan using my real name despite never having met me.

Like I said, he barely played 13 at the world cup. Robinson played more a year later. Happy for 4071 to prove me wrong, because even he wouldn't claim that Greenwood was a 13, isn't a bizarre spoofing weirdo, and uses facts to back himself up...

I wandered away from this thread, but if you are interested then Greenwood played 13 throughout 2001, when Woodward's side played its best and most fluent attacking rugby. After we got sharfted by the combination of Honiss and Foot & Mouth, the philosophy of the side changed a little. Catt and Greenwood still paired up a couple of times in the 2001 AIs, but the preferred pair from then on was Greenwood-Tindall. Including the WC, where Catt and Greenwood only paired up for tactical reasons in the semi against France.

He also played 13 outside Hodgson for a couple of matches in 2003 in that short-lived experiment to cram our best FH in alongside our most naturally gifted FH.

In all, I think Greenwood might have started about a dozen tests at outside centre, and was exceptionally capable in the position. Certainly better than most of our 13s that came after him....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 pm 

4071 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Like I said, he barely played 13 at the world cup. Robinson played more a year later. Happy for 4071 to prove me wrong, because even he wouldn't claim that Greenwood was a 13, isn't a bizarre spoofing weirdo, and uses facts to back himself up...

I wandered away from this thread, but if you are interested then Greenwood played 13 throughout 2001, when Woodward's side played its best and most fluent attacking rugby. After we got sharfted by the combination of Honiss and Foot & Mouth, the philosophy of the side changed a little. Catt and Greenwood still paired up a couple of times in the 2001 AIs, but the preferred pair from then on was Greenwood-Tindall. Including the WC, where Catt and Greenwood only paired up for tactical reasons in the semi against France.

He also played 13 outside Hodgson for a couple of matches in 2003 in that short-lived experiment to cram our best FH in alongside our most naturally gifted FH.

In all, I think Greenwood might have started about a dozen tests at outside centre, and was exceptionally capable in the position. Certainly better than most of our 13s that came after him....

No arguement there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 pm 

I can't even bang the drum for Morgan anymore given it's been ages since I've actually seen him on the telly in a starting role for Glaws

Perhaps better to throw my lot in with Chisholm at 8 instead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
I can't even bang the drum for Morgan anymore given it's been ages since I've actually seen him on the telly in a starting role for Glaws

Could always tout Kvesic as an 8...

He's having a good game at 8 tonight, but the star back row on show is Tom Ellis.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:16 pm 

exeter turning the screw now, BP with an average performance

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:33 pm 

Hardly surprising with the ref giving them every 50/50 tbf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm 

polyallstar wrote:

He really did I thought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:41 pm 

polyallstar wrote:

Yes it felt like that
Bath infuriatingly inconsistent though

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:37 am 

4071 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

No doubt about the last line there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am 

Brazil wrote:
If he stays at Sale whilst he does so I won't be too upset, it's the likes of Addison and (particularly) Haley f**king off over the Irish sea to chase Ireland caps that gets on my tits. I really think that the RFU and clubs should be looking to stop it because we're losing talented players. It probably doesn't help that Eddie will select SH journeymen on the basis that Super Rugby experience counts more than premiership experience, mind.

Addison is apparently making a real impact over there and I think his versatility will see him make the world cup squad. Really disappointed we lost him, he said that Eddie was impressed and had been in contact but he just couldn't stay fit which meant he never made a squad.
Agree about Moore and the RFU doing more, but what, realistically, can they do? Unfortunately the nature of Irish rugby is such that they have both a better chance of international recognition - due to the smaller player pool - and superior player welfare. When you consider that it's not surprising that Irish qualified players would be tempted by leaving.
Anyway, interesting Sale team for the big Newcastle match - Solomona rested after last week's HIA, with Sam James at 15 and Rohan back at 12. I'd take the ugliest win on record right now to be honest, we are in bad form and always struggle against them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:02 am 

Brazil wrote:
45jumper wrote:
Speaking of EQP Number 8's, Sam Moore is worth keeping an eye on. He was training with the England squad last season and was all set for breaking into our matchday 23....before he got injured. However, some people on the Sale board believe he may be going to Wales next season as he's qualified for them, would be a shame if so. He's a big bloke with a great rugby brain. I've only seem him play a couple of times but he's got a similar playing style to Kieran Read.
In domestic news, huge game for us on Saturday. Lose against Newcastle and we're suddenly worryingly adrift :uhoh:

If he stays at Sale whilst he does so I won't be too upset, it's the likes of Addison and (particularly) Haley f**king off over the Irish sea to chase Ireland caps that gets on my tits. I really think that the RFU and clubs should be looking to stop it because we're losing talented players. It probably doesn't help that Eddie will select SH journeymen on the basis that Super Rugby experience counts more than premiership experience, mind.

I don’t want to see us lose EQ players (particularly if they have been born and raised here).

Moore is possibly a slight exception given his family’s rugby history.

I’m not sure how well justified the hype around him actually is though TBH? He was pretty anonymous when he played for the U20s in comparison to Mercer who was head and shoulders above pretty much any other 8 when he played at U20 level.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm 

Jonny May’s injury looked a bit worrying, though he did hang around Twickers after he withdrew from the fray / goings-on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:03 pm 

Anyone else watch the NZ/SA game? Ominous from an Egland perspective. Never thought we'd beat the ABs, but had hope we might take the Boks with home advantage, not much hope left anymore...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 pm 

Marler does know Eddies not there to watch him right?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 pm 

Robson also got crocked today. Suggestions it is ligament damage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 am 

May went off injured with a shoulder issue, he's since had a scan which revealed no fractures. Think he's being assessed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:55 am 

Watching highlights of the Bath/Exeter game, that cover tackle to deny Cokanasiga was impressive.

Really hope Eddie integrates him in the autumn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 am 

Six games in and the top two are already ten points clear. Might as well have the final now and give all the England players a good rest and run up to the world cup,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 pm 

Reports are flodding in hither and thither about Dean Ryan's antics are RFU and how disruptive he's being.

Not winning a lit of friends, would be apt.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:43 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Could do a lot worse, he's so consistently good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm 

Jake wrote:
Reports are flodding in hither and thither about Dean Ryan's antics are RFU and how disruptive he's being.

Has he just been given carte blanche to chop and change? It'd be mad for an organization that big to not make decisions by committee and with sound reasoning, research, etc. behind them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:04 pm 

Jake wrote:

He should join Sale, he'd fit right in.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:07 pm 

Bristol draw first blood against Worcs.

Jack Lam with a great break, offloads to the Loosehead who trundles over un-opposed from 10 metres or so. Weir puts the restart out on the full...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:21 pm 

Leiua's looking good for Bris, sad we never really got to see this side of him at Wasps with injuries blighting his time with us.

Worcs currently have a 3 point lead having woken up a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:27 pm 

Jake wrote:

What do you mean by antics? What's been going on?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm 

Woss Bris is actually a really good game.

Both teams have come to play.

Barry the 2nd row looking dynamic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:35 pm 

Ryan Mills deserves every bit of hype that's been directed his way over the last season or so. Two very classy plays there to help Worcs capitalise on minutes of pressure on the Bris goal line.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm 

38 mins for Worcester to get the BP try.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:47 pm 

Not sure anyone saw this coming.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 pm 

Enjoying this. Worcs certainly don't look like relegatees elect.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:51 pm 

Does anyone else want both Worcester and Bristol to stay up? Would like Newcastle to stay up too. Who do you all think is likely to get relegated?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:53 pm 

David990 wrote:
Does anyone else want both Worcester and Bristol to stay up? Would like Newcastle to stay up too. Who do you all think is likely to get relegated?

Both have a decent shot at it. A few of other clubs will definitely be getting a little edgy, This season could see a club go down with a points total that would see them easily safe most years.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:56 pm 

David990 wrote:

I'd like us to ring fence...

I don't think anyone else is too likely, though can see Sale getting dragged into the scrap at the bottom. Newcastle are 1 from 6 and Europe in the big boy cup is going to be a test of their playing resources they've not had to deal with for a while, but I'd be surprised if they're in a position to drop despite hpw much people over-estimated them following last season's surprise run to the top 4.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786, 1787, 1788 ... 1849  Next