Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 ... 1909  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:24 pm 

Jake wrote:
Re Ben Te'o, I was amused to find his squad nickname is Pat.

Made me chuckle.

Took me a minute :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Seemed to get the rub of the green this week, Nige was very nice indeed. Didn't matter too much because we had them under pressure most of the game. Farrell very mature performance again. Lawes brutal.

Sinks needs to calm down.

Need a replay- swear it looked like the french 7 swiped him first? no excuse of course- plenty of refs would give a yellow.

He'd just belted him in the face: https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... _head_tap/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 pm 

Wales vs England is on BBC :(( Eddie Butler ‘montage’, Jiffy squealing, Inverdale being smug.... ffs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm 

Tim. wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Seemed to get the rub of the green this week, Nige was very nice indeed. Didn't matter too much because we had them under pressure most of the game. Farrell very mature performance again. Lawes brutal.

Sinks needs to calm down.

Need a replay- swear it looked like the french 7 swiped him first? no excuse of course- plenty of refs would give a yellow.

He'd just belted him in the face: https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... _head_tap/

Thanks! thought i see it in realtime but not the replay :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm 

Yeah - I thought the same. I was also surprised Iturria’s swing at Farrell wasn’t picked up by the TMO. Just because he didn’t really connect doesn’t mean it wasn’t clear foul play.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
Wales vs England is on BBC :(( Eddie Butler ‘montage’, Jiffy squealing, Inverdale being smug.... ffs

It will be Moore alongside him probably.

It is going to be an absolute cauldron of an atmosphere. Gatland's last home game in charge v England, tournament & potential Slam on the line. Wales will be psyched to the eyeballs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:40 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
terryfinch wrote:

It will be Moore alongside him probably.

It is going to be an absolute cauldron of an atmosphere. Gatland's last home game in charge v England, tournament & potential Slam on the line. Wales will be psyched to the eyeballs.

Exactly the kind of match England need in a world cup year. Wales will be absolutely on it and will fight fire with fire. There's nothing England do that Wales cannot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:59 pm 

pandion wrote:
Teo or Joe Coke on the bench next week? I thought we lost to much power when Manu left.

They'll have a long wait to get on !!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 pm 

ovalball wrote:
pandion wrote:
Teo or Joe Coke on the bench next week? I thought we lost to much power when Manu left.

They'll have a long wait to get on !!

Aah bugger!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:02 pm 

Halfpenny is a step up from the 15s we have played against so far and I suspect Gatland will have his wingers sitting deeper do we won't get the easy scores and territory from kicking.

France got some change out of getting outside the rush defence when they went wide so I suspect this is what the Welsh will look to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm 

tc27 wrote:
Halfpenny is a step up from the 15s we have played against so far and I suspect Gatland will have his wingers sitting deeper do we won't get the easy scores and territory from kicking.

France got some change out of getting outside the rush defence when they went wide so I suspect this is what the Welsh will look to do.

But we’ll have more space to attack with the ball in hand out wide.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm 

pandion wrote:

We lost power when Mako went off, then more with Manu, and more again with Sink. Mako and Sink are huge, as they offer a massive carrying option, but also deceptively soft hands, so defence has to stay completely alert.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm 

tc27 wrote:

Is Halfpenny fit, or likely to be selected? Wales have been playing North/Williams/Adams so far

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm 

just FYI as an aside, Jonny May's hat-trick takes him to sixth on England's all-time try scorers list:

5. Jason Robinson - 28 tries in 51 tests
6. Jonny May - 25 tries in 43 tests
7. Dan Luger - 24 tries in 38 tests

and of the top 10, only Luger has a better try-per-test ratio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:12 pm 

Raggs wrote:
pandion wrote:

We lost power when Mako went off, then more with Manu, and more again with Sink. Mako and Sink are huge, as they offer a massive carrying option, but also deceptively soft hands, so defence has to stay completely alert.

All being rested though. What I think we lose with Mako in carrying we get with Moon's scrummaging and basics as a prop. Probably need mako's carrying more atmo.

Very decent win. Wasn't enamoured with the last 20/30 but that was resting for Wales at that point plus being a little off. Dupont did change they game for them though, albeit against tired bodies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:14 pm 

tc27 wrote:

Quite, so what is the correct counter to the counter? That's what Eddie has two weeks to train them for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 pm 

Raison D'etre wrote:
tc27 wrote:

Quite, so what is the correct counter to the counter? That's what Eddie has two weeks to train them for.

If they’re sitting deep the wings will come up on the second pass, that’s where having a footballer like Slade comes in handy and he can nudge the ball through. Or they come up late and you catch them on the edge.

Less men in the line will also spread them out giving more opportunities to go through them and get 1v1 tackles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:33 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
just FYI as an aside, Jonny May's hat-trick takes him to sixth on England's all-time try scorers list:

5. Jason Robinson - 28 tries in 51 tests
6. Jonny May - 25 tries in 43 tests
7. Dan Luger - 24 tries in 38 tests

and of the top 10, only Luger has a better try-per-test ratio

Are you sure? I thought he was on 19 before today’s match

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm 

Ball retention was great again at ruck time today. Any French player going for the jackal was dealt with without too much fuss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 pm 

Raggs wrote:
pandion wrote:

Yep, I was focusing on the backs though as going back to no lumps we looked a bit toothless. Eddie needs to stick with a Manu/Te'o 12 or Joe Coke to ring if Ford Faz is our finishing 10/12. Makes the bench a conundrum....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:38 pm 

Raggs wrote:
pandion wrote:

Speaking of Sinck’s hands; what a pass for Slade’s try!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 pm 

Big ups to George Kruis and Tom Curry today.

Didn't get noticed much but Kruis's return to form is a big deal for England and Tom Curry again was outstanding. He carries as hard as anyone and in the tackle/breakdown he's ferocious.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
pandion wrote:

All being rested though. What I think we lose with Mako in carrying we get with Moon's scrummaging and basics as a prop. Probably need mako's carrying more atmo.

Very decent win. Wasn't enamoured with the last 20/30 but that was resting for Wales at that point plus being a little off. Dupont did change they game for them though, albeit against tired bodies.

Mako's ankle might disagree with the idea that he was being rested

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Jake wrote:
Re Ben Te'o, I was amused to find his squad nickname is Pat.

Made me chuckle.

Took me a minute :blush:

I’ve laid worse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:01 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Big ups to George Kruis and Tom Curry today.

Didn't get noticed much but Kruis's return to form is a big deal for England and Tom Curry again was outstanding. He carries as hard as anyone and in the tackle/breakdown he's ferocious.

Yep, I thought kruis was great last week- loads of clearing work. And curry has completely suprised me, he’s got a lot more dog than given credit for :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:01 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
pandion wrote:

Give me a break, Moon is a better scrummager, but that's it, and it's not that he turns our scrum into a weapon every scrum either, most the time he locks out, just like Mako. Mako tackles more, hits harder, carries better, passes infinitely better. The guy is a machine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:15 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9cuMPRroPw - Eddie thinks it's probably a tiny knock for Mako and he'll probably be ok.

Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities. I will concede, Mako gets through fudge loads more work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:18 pm 

How is Mako?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9cuMPRroPw - Eddie thinks it's probably a tiny knock for Mako and he'll probably be ok.

Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities. I will concede, Mako gets through fudge loads more work.

The skill sets are massively different. Mako, on form can have hands like an inside back. Moon and Cole, on form, can maybe manage hands like a second row.

I’d back Mako and Sinkler to throw a 20-30m pass reasonably accurately which isn’t the case for many props.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 pm 

Genge is probably the like for like with mako.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities.

Jesus fucking Christ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Haskell did a Q&A at the Oxford Union recently and they've just published it on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoyYKniGHU

Cheers for that. A bit worrying that his view on concussion is that a scrum cap might help (does not) and that he seemed to think that concussion requires a knock-out (does not, and that story about him going the wrong way from a ruck WAS likely a concussion). Would be interested to know how many times players like him have those moments!

Really great comments on keeping a balanced life as a pro, the evolution of the game, social media...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities.

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm 

Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

He hypes like a Wasps fan though

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Really great comments on keeping a balanced life as a pro, the evolution of the game, social media...

Far too much DJ bollocks for my liking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

He hypes like a Wasps fan though

Absolute tosh. We Wasps fans are measured, stoic and self-deprecating.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm 

What? Sorry that's not even hyping. If you think I'm hyping I'll gladly disagree with you.

I think he's a top class prop. I'm not saying he offers what Mako does in the loose, but I disagree with the majority if so in here about his other skills. He's not a passable international, he's a good international with solid basics. Looking at the amount of utter bollocks we showed in the front row in 2018 (for various reasons), his solidity and Mako hitting form has been a nice filet for the pack.

When you look at a prop, you want him primarily NOT a carrier, he's to be good at the lineouts, scrums and at the breakdown and a useful tackler. That's why Marler was so good and frequently started ahead of Mako. Mako's physicality and ball handling, carries etc are a serious plus but they are the icing on top, it's not what I would look for first. It's all well and good being a good ball player but for years we derided Mako for being a shite prop around the scrum and lineouts. He's been brilliant this year sure, but the basic skill set of a prop Moon has been excellent at and I don't think that's any hyping, it's what he's picked for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
What? Sorry that's not even hyping. If you think I'm hyping I'll gladly disagree with you.

I think he's a top class prop. I'm not saying he offers what Mako does in the loose, but I disagree with the majority if so in here about his other skills. He's not a passable international, he's a good international with solid basics. Looking at the amount of utter bollocks we showed in the front row in 2018 (for various reasons), his solidity and Mako hitting form has been a nice filet for the pack.

When you look at a prop, you want him primarily NOT a carrier, he's to be good at the lineouts, scrums and at the breakdown and a useful tackler. That's why Marler was so good and frequently started ahead of Mako. Mako's physicality and ball handling, carries etc are a serious plus but they are the icing on top, it's not what I would look for first. It's all well and good being a good ball player but for years we derided Mako for being a shite prop around the scrum and lineouts. He's been brilliant this year sure, but the basic skill set of a prop Moon has been excellent at and I don't think that's any hyping, it's what he's picked for.

Would need more than one filet to feed that pack.

Billy alone looks like he'd ruin an all you can eat buffet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

His skillset is he's a doughty scrum-first prop who can push and hit rucks. He's bad with ball in hand and doesn't carry much, nor will he make a huge number of tackles (usually).

Apart from running, passing, tackling, jackling, and probably kicking, he has a very similar skillset... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

His skillset is he's a doughty scrum-first prop who can push and hit rucks. He's bad with ball in hand and doesn't carry much, nor will he make a huge number of tackles (usually).

Apart from running, passing, tackling, jackling, and probably kicking, he has a very similar skillset... :roll:

To be fair, I read they are both pretty tasty with their crocheting. Moon especially only just missed out on the BBC Sewing Bee thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 ... 1909  Next