Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 ... 1966  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 pm 

Genge is probably the like for like with mako.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities.

Jesus fucking Christ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

Haskell did a Q&A at the Oxford Union recently and they've just published it on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoyYKniGHU

Cheers for that. A bit worrying that his view on concussion is that a scrum cap might help (does not) and that he seemed to think that concussion requires a knock-out (does not, and that story about him going the wrong way from a ruck WAS likely a concussion). Would be interested to know how many times players like him have those moments!

Really great comments on keeping a balanced life as a pro, the evolution of the game, social media...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
Raggs - Probably, but I don't think the skillsets are too different bar their attacking abilities.

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 pm 

Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

He hypes like a Wasps fan though

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Really great comments on keeping a balanced life as a pro, the evolution of the game, social media...

Far too much DJ bollocks for my liking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:15 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

Absolute tosh. We Wasps fans are measured, stoic and self-deprecating.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm 

What? Sorry that's not even hyping. If you think I'm hyping I'll gladly disagree with you.

I think he's a top class prop. I'm not saying he offers what Mako does in the loose, but I disagree with the majority if so in here about his other skills. He's not a passable international, he's a good international with solid basics. Looking at the amount of utter bollocks we showed in the front row in 2018 (for various reasons), his solidity and Mako hitting form has been a nice filet for the pack.

When you look at a prop, you want him primarily NOT a carrier, he's to be good at the lineouts, scrums and at the breakdown and a useful tackler. That's why Marler was so good and frequently started ahead of Mako. Mako's physicality and ball handling, carries etc are a serious plus but they are the icing on top, it's not what I would look for first. It's all well and good being a good ball player but for years we derided Mako for being a shite prop around the scrum and lineouts. He's been brilliant this year sure, but the basic skill set of a prop Moon has been excellent at and I don't think that's any hyping, it's what he's picked for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
What? Sorry that's not even hyping. If you think I'm hyping I'll gladly disagree with you.

I think he's a top class prop. I'm not saying he offers what Mako does in the loose, but I disagree with the majority if so in here about his other skills. He's not a passable international, he's a good international with solid basics. Looking at the amount of utter bollocks we showed in the front row in 2018 (for various reasons), his solidity and Mako hitting form has been a nice filet for the pack.

When you look at a prop, you want him primarily NOT a carrier, he's to be good at the lineouts, scrums and at the breakdown and a useful tackler. That's why Marler was so good and frequently started ahead of Mako. Mako's physicality and ball handling, carries etc are a serious plus but they are the icing on top, it's not what I would look for first. It's all well and good being a good ball player but for years we derided Mako for being a shite prop around the scrum and lineouts. He's been brilliant this year sure, but the basic skill set of a prop Moon has been excellent at and I don't think that's any hyping, it's what he's picked for.

Would need more than one filet to feed that pack.

Billy alone looks like he'd ruin an all you can eat buffet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

His skillset is he's a doughty scrum-first prop who can push and hit rucks. He's bad with ball in hand and doesn't carry much, nor will he make a huge number of tackles (usually).

Apart from running, passing, tackling, jackling, and probably kicking, he has a very similar skillset... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:15 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

His skillset is he's a doughty scrum-first prop who can push and hit rucks. He's bad with ball in hand and doesn't carry much, nor will he make a huge number of tackles (usually).

Apart from running, passing, tackling, jackling, and probably kicking, he has a very similar skillset... :roll:

To be fair, I read they are both pretty tasty with their crocheting. Moon especially only just missed out on the BBC Sewing Bee thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Wonder what Moon's tackling stats were like in the AIs - thought he played very well in them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Been mentioned, but House of Rugby podcast was pretty decent this week with Hask and Tindall. Not so much for the review of the game, but for the reminiscing about various players that were liabilities in training. Hask's story about playing Clermont as a teenager with Dallaglio when it all kicked off was also pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gfj-lyDW-4

Halfway through that and it’s quality :lol: :thumbup:

This format really is great for Haskell. He really does a great job with his rugby stories. I love the way he describes Dallaglio's reaction to him "backing him up".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 am 

jabberwocky wrote:
Can they get rid of Tindall? Andy Farrell's left nut is more charismatic.

I think Tindall is good at partnering up Haskell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:45 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Some of it comes from the captain, and Laidlaw's approach is pretty chippy.

Haskell did a Q&A at the Oxford Union recently and they've just published it on YouTube, it's worth a watch but there's a specific part at the end which I thought was interesting. Hask points out that the World Cup is an extremely singular scenario - you're off in a foreign country for weeks at a time, hothoused with your team, under enormous pressure to perform. To be able to succeed in that environment takes a certain mindset and temperament which some people and players have and others don't. According to Hask, Eddie has explicitly stated that in selection terms sometimes he might prioritise a player who he believes will be able to perform consistently in that environment over one who doesn't even if the latter might ostensibly be the more obvious pick from a rugby point of view. Very interesting. Anyway the video in full is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoyYKniGHU

Cheers! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 am 

Tom Curry has been a revelation. I expected him to be excellent at the breakdown, to be a solid, but non-destructive tackler and to offer little as a carrier. Right, wrong and wrong. He is so much more physical in the tackle than he looked last year and has really stood out as a carrier who makes yards in traffic.

He and Wilson have changed everything for this side- more than the infusion of better carriers I'd argue. Of course having Billy and Manu hit it up is a huge edge on Hughes and Farrell, but I think it's the breakdown that has made the difference.

Early in Eddie's tenure we solved the problem of not having a traditional 7 or a 6 who was good on the ground by just hammering people off our ball and piling into opposition rucks wildly to mess with theirs. We kicked through the ruck more than anyone and were sliding off tackles to compete for the ball. The law changes put a stop to the last two of those gambits. Last year we were back to being awful again, getting turned over repeatedly, securing slow ball and putting no pressure on opposition ball.

I'd agree that our increased power - and fitness - means that the rucks are in the right place more often, but what's really changed is how we handle them. The front row have been terrific in hitting them, the locks have been too, but there's a ruthless precision and effectiveness about Wilson and Curry that I haven't seem from England in a long time. Any attempt to poach our ball is just blasted away. Isolated runners don't stay isolated. No-one is getting held up. Opponents ball is targetted when vulnerable and slowed when not. The combination of pace, energy, power and above all tactical intelligence has been a revelation.

Wales will be the biggest test, but if we can fight the welsh back-row to a draw, it'll be the first time in many years. The achilles heel of this England team has for so long been the poor breakdown work- particularly because we want to be a bully and it's just not possible to do that if you keep getting turned over. That moment where Wilson ran over to Curry after his turnover and was so excited for him he couldn't contain himself was telling I thought. England are starting to hunt opponents ball, rather than rely on opportunistic jackling by one man in the right place. It has felt for both games like our ball was safer than the opponents ball and it's a long time since I have had that sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 am 

Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Jesus fucking Christ

He's one of yours.

Absolute tosh. We Wasps fans are measured, stoic and self-deprecating.

You have spelled defecating incorrectly :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am 

On a different note, was it me or did Jamie George have a quietly really good game? Seemed to pop up a few times to get on loose ball, line out went well....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:47 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
On a different note, was it me or did Jamie George have a quietly really good game? Seemed to pop up a few times to get on loose ball, line out went well....

I will hold my hands up and say in the AIs I wanted George replaced as he wasn't doing it in an England shirt. So far in the 6N he has done pretty much everything right if unspectacularly compared to Mako, etc. and is well on the way to proving me wrong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am 

So, the Eddie Jones is beasting players, building up fitness levels for the RWC, doesn't look quite so silly on the back of two of the most physical and intense/pacy games from England we've seen in a very long time. Now England need to learn how to play at this pace and cut out the errors that seem to be coming from it, good job we've got a tournament to do so in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am 

blindcider wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I will hold my hands up and say in the AIs I wanted George replaced as he wasn't doing it in an England shirt. So far in the 6N he has done pretty much everything right if unspectacularly compared to Mako, etc. and is well on the way to proving me wrong

Also helps that LCD is now playing like a drunk in oven gloves.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am 

On the whole 'we were shit last year because Eddie beasted them - I dont see it...

Im no S+C expert but surely any extra gains made by physical conditioning this time last year would be lost by now due to the following months of club rugby/summer break/SA tour etc?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am 

tc27 wrote:
On the whole 'we were shit last year because Eddie beasted them - I dont see it...

Im no S+C expert but surely any extra gains made by physical conditioning this time last year would be lost by now due to the following months of club rugby/summer break/SA tour etc?

The S+C expert reckons you can. The intensity we're now seeing suggests he may have been right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am 

Raggs wrote:
tc27 wrote:

The S+C expert reckons you can. The intensity we're now seeing suggests he may have been right.

Also there's the mental aspect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Carried well, supported other carriers well, good soft hands on at least two occasions. Only one line out where he threw to the French side, which is better than (my perception of) his average.

Best game for England?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 pm 

So, the question of the hour is, will Eddie stick or twist for Cardiff? I think he'll revert to Nowell starting - Ashton was okay if not scintillating yesterday, but he was pretty obviously picked for his extra gas compared to the Rotherham Flyer given that the gameplan was to find grass with the ball all day long, and I think we're all agreed that Wales aren't going to be nearly as inept at fielding kicks as France were. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the brave noises about Itoje being available are Eddie exaggeration but that Mako will be fit (if he's not it seems like the call will be to bring in Genge, probably going to the bench). So I reckon it's basically a case of reverting to the team that beat Ireland bar keeping the locks the same as this week. Anyone feel differently? Where do we think Wales have looked vulnerable so far?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm 

If Itoje is fit, which lock combination do we go for? Lawes was excellent yesterday and Kruis, though not as prominent, is our primary lineout caller. Then there is Launch who can be relied upon to perform every game.

I'd be tempted to go with Launch and Itoje (the latter calling the lineout) with Laweson the bench. Lawes provides more from the bench, and Launch/Itoje strengthens the scrum/has a high work rate in the loose. Kruis misses out, for me, only because the other locks offer more overall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm 

Welsh lineout looked poor vs Italy but I think that was more a function of Dee being a crap thrower and a lack of cohesion in their lineout drill with a scratch side

There's lots of individual components we could try and target (Welsh halfbacks, possible weakness at set piece, slightly wonky back row with Moriarty at 8) but it'll come down as always to the collisions and who dominates the gainline, Welsh will have had the extra week to recover but maybe lack the bulk that we have across the side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
So, the question of the hour is, will Eddie stick or twist for Cardiff? I think he'll revert to Nowell starting - Ashton was okay if not scintillating yesterday, but he was pretty obviously picked for his extra gas compared to the Rotherham Flyer given that the gameplan was to find grass with the ball all day long, and I think we're all agreed that Wales aren't going to be nearly as inept at fielding kicks as France were. I'm going to go ahead and assume that the brave noises about Itoje being available are Eddie exaggeration but that Mako will be fit (if he's not it seems like the call will be to bring in Genge, probably going to the bench). So I reckon it's basically a case of reverting to the team that beat Ireland bar keeping the locks the same as this week. Anyone feel differently? Where do we think Wales have looked vulnerable so far?

I reckon they might stick with Ashton - while Wales won't be as positionally naive as the French back 3 to our kicking game (and won't be surprised by it and have a centre at 15, like Ireland), I reckon they will look to drop a couple of players back and bank on defending outside breaks from our backs (and look to Navidi and Tipuric to win the breakdown battle from any breaks we make into their 22); if there's one player you want running support lines in that situation, it's Ashton.

I'd always go for Launchbury and Itoje at lock, but I wouldn't worry too much about any combination of those 4.

Difficult to know what to expect from Wales - they've only really played for 40 minutes this championship and haven't shown their cards at all. I think they'll target our back 3 a lot more effectively than Ireland/France have so far and they'll pay attention to the gaps Dupont found in the second half yesterday. You can also be sure that a team coaching by Gatland and Edwards will defend the tight channels well and will play for 80 minutes. Having said that, pretty much all of our players will have recent experience of playing and winning in Cardiff.

Just annoying that I have to wait 2 weeks for this!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm 

Assuming all fit, I'd go Kruis and Lawes with Itoje on the bench following his lay-off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm 

There are definitely weaknesses (or relative ones) to our game which Wales can target:

1. Set piece is not perfect by any stretch, but appears to be functioning better than I feared it may... but we're far from unbeatable at either
2. Scrumhalf - Youngs is always open to having one of those games. His passing can go to pot if he's having a mare
3. Missed tackles - whilst our defence tends to mop up these, we make a lot of them and as France's try shows - if we get more than one in any single break it's try time
4. Midfield - far from impenetrable and Tuilagi didn't have his best game against France in defence. Slade had a good game (again, for me) but he's also not infallible
5. Daly - Much, much better against France and does appear to be improving game-on-game, but can let the pressure get to him and his aerial game then falls apart

If Wales pressure these points smartly (and we have to assume they will) we could end up coming unstuck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm 

pjm1 wrote:
There are definitely weaknesses (or relative ones) to our game which Wales can target:

1. Set piece is not perfect by any stretch, but appears to be functioning better than I feared it may... but we're far from unbeatable at either
2. Scrumhalf - Youngs is always open to having one of those games. His passing can go to pot if he's having a mare
3. Missed tackles - whilst our defence tends to mop up these, we make a lot of them and as France's try shows - if we get more than one in any single break it's try time
4. Midfield - far from impenetrable and Tuilagi didn't have his best game against France in defence. Slade had a good game (again, for me) but he's also not infallible
5. Daly - Much, much better against France and does appear to be improving game-on-game, but can let the pressure get to him and his aerial game then falls apart

If Wales pressure these points smartly (and we have to assume they will) we could end up coming unstuck.

Or - as he showed for periods against France - even when he's playing well. Some of the passing from SH in the build up to one of our tries was abysmal. Ankle-height balls, or passes that hit the ground before the receiver. And he was actually having a good game under virtually no pressure!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm 

4071 wrote:
pjm1 wrote:

Or - as he showed for periods against France - even when he's playing well. Some of the passing from SH in the build up to one of our tries was abysmal. Ankle-height balls, or passes that hit the ground before the receiver. And he was actually having a good game under virtually no pressure!

There was a lot of passing that wasn't quite to hand from both sides. I think that ball was proper greasy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:30 pm 

I think a lot will depend on who Wales pick at 10. Anscombe doesn't scare me in any one particular facet of play, but whilst Biggar was poor against Italy his aerial game would worry me with Daly at 15. Saying that, I was worried about that with Ireland's kicking game, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm 

pjm1 wrote:

1. Agreed, but I'm not sure Wales have the players to do it.
2. True. Gulp.
3. True of any team really - miss a couple of tackles in quick succession and you are in trouble
4. Agreed.
5. Biggar (if they pick him) fielding his own kicks around the England 22 makes me very nervous.

To me, the biggest question is how England will react if Plan A doesn't work or if the opposition start causing us problems at the breakdown (which Wales absolutely can do). So far, Ireland and France have let England impose their game plan almost unchallenged.

I'd expect a fired up Wales, at home and with immortality beckoning (12 wins in a row and another grand slam on the horizon) to throw a lot more at us than either of Ireland or France managed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm 

blindcider wrote:
4071 wrote:
pjm1 wrote:

There was a lot of passing that wasn't quite to hand from both sides. I think that ball was proper greasy

You almost wonder if they've changed the grip or something with the amount of balls spilled over the first two rounds. There were a lot of knock-ons too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
pjm1 wrote:

2. True. Gulp.
3. True of any team really - miss a couple of tackles in quick succession and you are in trouble
4. Agreed.
5. Biggar (if they pick him) fielding his own kicks around the England 22 makes me very nervous.

To me, the biggest question is how England will react if Plan A doesn't work or if the opposition start causing us problems at the breakdown (which Wales absolutely can do). So far, Ireland and France have let England impose their game plan almost unchallenged.

I'd expect a fired up Wales, at home and with immortality beckoning (12 wins in a row and another grand slam on the horizon) to throw a lot more at us than either of Ireland or France managed.

Agreed... the massive positive for me is that our back row / breakdown is not in the above list of 5 "risks" for the first time pretty much ever! That doesn't mean we're going to own it (especially against Wales) but I think at worst we're able to trade blows in that area, if not excel. The one caveat to that is getting on the right side of the ref, as interpretation it what's it's all about...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:47 pm 

Much like in Dublin ,we need to silence the crowd early doors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm 

pjm1 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
pjm1 wrote:

2. True. Gulp.
4. Agreed.

Agreed... the massive positive for me is that our back row / breakdown is not in the above list of 5 "risks" for the first time pretty much ever! That doesn't mean we're going to own it (especially against Wales) but I think at worst we're able to trade blows in that area, if not excel. The one caveat to that is getting on the right side of the ref, as interpretation it what's it's all about...

I know. It is a strange feeling. I'm not sure I trust it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 pm 

Tuilagi needs to be used further out the line, he was easily bottled up by Bastareaud & general traffic. He was devastating at 13 at one time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 ... 1966  Next