Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 ... 1991  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:38 pm 

Teams announced for tomorrow:

Gloucester Rugby:

Jason Woodward; 14. Charlie Sharples, 13. Billy Twelvetrees, 12. Mark Atkinson, 11. Tom Marshall; 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Willi Heinz (capt); 1. Josh Hohneck, 2. Franco Marais, 3. Fraser Balmain; 4. Ed Slater, 5. Franco Mostert; 6. Ruan Ackermann, 7. Jaco Kriel, 8. Ben Morgan

Replacements:

Mike Sherry, 17. Val Rapava Ruskin, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. Tom Savage, 20. Lewis Ludlow, 21. Jake Polledri, 22. Ben Vellacott, 23. Henry Purdy

6-2 split on the bench but given all our other backs are injured about the best we could do. Sarries unchanged from the Euro final apart from Mako and Lamositele.

Not expecting anything other than a comfortable Sarries win but you never know.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:45 pm 

Saints:

15 Ahsee Tuala
14 Tom Collins
13 Rory Hutchinson
12 Piers Francis

11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
10 Dan Biggar
9 Cobus Reinach
1 Francois van Wyk
2 James Fish
3 Ehren Painter
4 Alex Moon

5 Api Ratuniyarawa
6 Courtney Lawes
7 Lewis Ludlam
8 Teimana Harrison (c)

Replacements:
16 Darren Dawidiuk
17 Alex Waller
18 Paul Hill
19 David Ribbans
20 Jamie Gibson
21 Tom Wood
22 Alex Mitchell
23 Luther Burrell

Not available for selection:
Andy Symons (knee), Harry Mallinder (knee), Mikey Haywood (knee), Paddy Ryan (knee), Heinrich Brüssow (concussion), James Haskell (toe), George Furbank (concussion), and Reece Marshall (hamstring).

Boyd obviously trying to address some of the major shortcomings of last week, adding some ballast to the pack, removing the penalty magnet that is Alex Waller. Hartley still not considered fully fit despit nominally being available for selection. Good to see the injury list falling just in time for the holidays

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:10 pm 

Ballsy penalty try call in the Exe - Saints game and I'm all for it.

Cynical offences need to be punished harshly for us to have the best version of the game we can. I won't hol d my breath to see this consistently applied, though.

Followed quickly by an amazing passage of play for Saints to get a second close the gap to two! Hutchinson's juggling offload for the score was great.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:17 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:

Cynical offences need to be punished harshly for us to have the best version of the game we can. I won't hol d my breath to see this consistently applied, though.

Followed quickly by an amazing passage of play for Saints to get a second close the gap to two! Hutchinson's juggling offload for the score was great.

Hutchinson would have been embarrassed if he had dropped it. Collins contribution to that try was the highlight

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:19 pm 

What a balls up

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:21 pm 

Saints giving them a good game :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm 

That's a killer. Should be 5 up at half time, having been 14-0 down. Presume Chiefs will get their act together after the break.

Why don't they kick 3 points? Seems ridiculous to not build scoreboard pressure in knockout matches.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Hutchinson would have been embarrassed if he had dropped it. Collins contribution to that try was the highlight

True, that take was amazing. I thought that once he started to juggle, which maybe he shouldn't have ended up doing, to keep it and then offload it usefully rather than knock on was quite impressive.

All the hardwork done and Reinach of all people not taking the scoring pass. Still, Saints came back into that half well. They're fun to watch in full flight.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:26 pm 

Such a shame Reinach dropped that!

Really am wondering why the fark we let the Jocks pinch Hutchison :?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
That's a killer. Should be 5 up at half time, having been 14-0 down. Presume Chiefs will get their act together after the break.

Why don't they kick 3 points? Seems ridiculous to not build scoreboard pressure in knockout matches.

Exeter haven't really bothered with kicking the points for the last couple of season and given that more often that not they seem to get the try you can understand their faith in it.

Saints, I dunno, maybe Boyd as a Kiwi prefers his charges to score tries wherever possible?

If a supporter of either I'd probably want them to take the 3 more often, but a s neutral it's nice to see them throw caution to the wind a bit and rely on getting 5.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:30 pm 

Joost wrote:

Never played super rugby, mate. Not a street fighter either. [/Eddie]

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:39 pm 

Kvesic is off his feet every time he goes for the ball, it's getting very silly.

Joost wrote:

Hutchinson was never going to play for England. Regardless of his accent, he bleeds tartan

Saint wrote:
Joost wrote:

Hutchinson was never going to play for England. Regardless of his accent, he bleeds tartan

Tbh he looks like he has quite a few problems in defence. Wonderful attacking talent though.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm 

That was impressive from O'Flaherty and all of a sudden Exeter are more than 2 scores clear.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:48 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Exeter haven't really bothered with kicking the points for the last couple of season and given that more often that not they seem to get the try you can understand their faith in it.

Saints, I dunno, maybe Boyd as a Kiwi prefers his charges to score tries wherever possible?

If a supporter of either I'd probably want them to take the 3 more often, but a s neutral it's nice to see them throw caution to the wind a bit and rely on getting 5.

I meant Exeter, specifically. I know that they generally back themselves to go for the try, but it seems silly in KO games. I feel like the fact that they've done nothing in Europe shows that they still haven't diversified their approach enough to be able to change it when needed.
It seems arrogant or naive or something.

Saints going for the corner I can understand more. They were already 14 down and needed to make a dent in the scoreline. Maybe they felt that they wouldn't have enough visits to the 22 given Exeter's keep-ball, so they needed to make hay while they had the chance.

Last edited by Nolanator on Sat May 25, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:49 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Kvesic is off his feet every time he goes for the ball, it's getting very silly.

Was just going to post that, gets away with murder laying all over everything.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:50 pm 

Naiyaravoro is such a liability; no hands, no kicking skills and no brain. His mess-ups have led to 2 tries now!

Last edited by Joost on Sat May 25, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:50 pm 

Saint wrote:
Joost wrote:

He’s a top lad and yeah- proper jock. Dingwall not so much.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:51 pm 

Joost wrote:
Naiyaravoro is such a liability; no hands, no kicking skills and no brain.

Waste of a shirt.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:51 pm 

The fudge were Saints doing there? It's not like they knew they had the advantage.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:53 pm 

Joost wrote:
Naiyaravoro is such a liability; no hands, no kicking skills and no brain. His mess-ups have led to 2 tries now!

Yep. Every now and then he'll go on the sort of run or score a try a bloke of size should, but that's too infrequent given the paucity of his all round game. It's probably a bit late to teach him the breakdown now, but I'd have been training him up as a 6 or an 8 years back.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I meant Exeter, specifically. I know that they generally back themselves to go for the try, but it seems silly in KO games. I feel like the fact that they've done nothing in Europe shows that they still haven't diversified their approach enough to be able to change it when needed.

Saints going for the corner I can understand more. They were already 14 down and needed to make a dent in the scoreline. Maybe they felt that they wouldn't have enough visits to the 22 given Exeter's keep-ball, so they needed to make hay while they had the chance.

For Exeter I suppose it could be an extreme realisation of clubs' often stated desire to have an identity and to play their way. Possibly also a strong element, of "it hasn't worked because we haven't executed properly at key times" rather than believing there's any deep flaw with the approach which would probably fall under naivety more than arrogance.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:08 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Was just going to post that, gets away with murder laying all over everything.

Play the ref, mate

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

For Exeter I suppose it could be an extreme realisation of clubs' often stated desire to have an identity and to play their way. Possibly also a strong element, of "it hasn't worked because we haven't executed properly at key times" rather than believing there's any deep flaw with the approach which would probably fall under naivety more than arrogance.

Should be pointed out that most of the time, their approach works very well. 5 tries today in a SF by going for the corner.

That's great against >90% of the teams they'll play. Then they come up against Leinster or Sarries (maybe Racing etc on a good day) in a must win game, and their brute power game doesn't pay off.
You can't afford to use 3 penalties to work a 7 pointer. You don't get that many opportunities at that level.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm 

And Matt Kvesic gets Man of the Match

So you can all go f*ck yourselves

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm 

Kvesic MOTM for flopping on the ball all day, being a link man according to Ben Kay (4 passes), carrying well according to Ben Kay (13 carries for 3 metres), and making loads of tackles according to Ben Kay (11/1). Threw a horrible forward pass to ruin a big attacking moment. Hmmmm... Bit of a Stuart Barnes moment.

He slagged off Ludlum's carrying earlier - 12 carries for 17 metres...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:28 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
And Matt Kvesic gets Man of the Match

So you can all go f*ck yourselves

There's no doubting Ben Kay and the rest of the BT boys are huge fans. No doubt whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:29 pm 

Sad, sad JM

MOTM is MOTM, enjoy your evening

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 pm 

I will, off to dinner shortly. Sad is the cheerleading from the media again :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:33 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
I will, off to dinner shortly. Sad is the cheerleading from the media again :thumbup:

I know, but the media won't stop until Cips gets the starting 10 shirt

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:36 pm 

True enough - you basically have one chance to say fivetacklesattemptedonesucceeded before they stick their fingers in their ears and yell GEORGE FORD IS A WEAK DEFENDER

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:38 pm 

Irish lad scored a decent try for chiefs- saints must be happy with the season though :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm 

Personally, over the moon with 4th. But I wonder if things might have played out differently if Reinach had held that ball

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:47 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Joost wrote:

Yep. Every now and then he'll go on the sort of run or score a try a bloke of size should, but that's too infrequent given the paucity of his all round game. It's probably a bit late to teach him the breakdown now, but I'd have been training him up as a 6 or an 8 years back.

100%. Effective running in a straight line, but not much more. To add to sockwithaticket’s list of his limitations, he also has no real footwork and cannot defend for $hit.

It’s like watching the big kid who has no skill whatsoever but just runs over everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:49 pm 

Could Tompkins be a late bolter for the England squad? He’s flown under the radar, but has been very good for Sarries all season, not just today.

I think he’s a good all rounder - powerful, but with good fit and a decent pass. What’s not to like?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:36 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Irish lad scored a decent try for chiefs- saints must be happy with the season though :thumbup:

What's the deal with him? He IQ, or just has heritage?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm 

Jeez, two pretty much one sided semis.
Not really great for the game.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

What's the deal with him? He IQ, or just has heritage?

Dunno- most Irish name ever, gotta be eligible?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:08 pm 

Glaston wrote:
Jeez, two pretty much one sided semis.
Not really great for the game.

But that's the league this season - two teams miles ahead at the to, and then daylight

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79603 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962 ... 1991  Next