Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2059, 2060, 2061, 2062, 2063, 2064, 2065 ... 2077  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:56 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Launchbury has been mediocre for a while

You keep pedalling that line but it's absolute rubbish.

I think mediocre is a bit harsh - but he hasn't been playing quite at the level he was 12-18 months ago.

Yeah, sadly. He's still better than most, but we're not really at a point where him being a squad player rather than a definite match day player is controversial.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:14 pm 

1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader
15. The best 15 that plays 15 every week for his club.

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

Nice mix of new blood and experience to start the next RWC cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:17 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Launchbury has been mediocre for a while

You keep pedalling that line but it's absolute rubbish.

I think mediocre is a bit harsh - but he hasn't been playing quite at the level he was 12-18 months ago.

Yeah, sadly. He's still better than most, but we're not really at a point where him being a squad player rather than a definite match day player is controversial.

Yes. At international level he's been nothing special for a while. Deservedly behind the big three, and lucky we don't really have anyone pushing for his 4th lock spot right now. Makes too many mistakes and we've not seen the stuff that made him an outstanding player.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:49 am 

Telegraph is free today so get your fill of Charlie Morgan :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:26 pm 

Daly at 13... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:41 pm 

SirBurger wrote:

For sarries?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:43 pm 

SirBurger wrote:

That’s where he plays his best rugby and where he wants to play.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
SirBurger wrote:

I don't know about where he wants to play, but he's played the overwhelming majority of his pro rugby there and Wasps certainly saw more use from him there than on the wing (admittedly he only got serious game time there last season and it was clear he'd mentally moved club already). He didn't play fullback when our other options were available even when Eddie stuck him there for internationals :|

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
SirBurger wrote:

I don't know about where he wants to play, but he's played the overwhelming majority of his pro rugby there and Wasps certainly saw more use from him there than on the wing (admittedly he only got serious game time there last season and it was clear he'd mentally moved club already). He didn't play fullback when our other options were available even when Eddie stuck him there for internationals :|

TBF he was excellent on the wing for the Lions and England (Argentina game aside). If he goes back to being exclusively a 13 for Sarries does he push Slade out of the England squad as bench cover, or will Eddie persist in making him play wildly different positions for club and country?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:12 pm 

He shouldn't be playing for England until his form improves in any position, tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:20 pm 

It'll be interesting to see if Sarries play him at 15 or 13. Probably won't find out for a couple of weeks though.

edit: just seen Willemse has been added to the Sarries HEC list, so wonder if he'll be sticking around a little longer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:25 pm 

For a long time I was a huge fan of Daly at 13. Then I watched Chris Noakes (for those that don't know him, look him up) hand him off for Irish and score in the corner and I began to have doubts about his defence. I thought it may have been a one-off so since that match paid particular attention to his defensive performances. The harsh reality is he isn't equipped to defend anywhere at international level except on the wing. He gives attackers the outside and then slips off them (when he really shouldn't given his unquestioned pace) and gets physically dominated in any head-on head collision. This idea that it is his best position and he should play there for England is an outdated myth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm 

Re: changing up the team for the final... I agree that it is unlikely to have resulted in a L becoming a W.

So, my concern, retrospectively, with changing that team is that the changed players would have been hung out to dry (as might Eddie) because they didn't play as well as the team against the ABs.

Not knowing how that same team would have gone would mean they would be compared against them, and obviously anything other than an England win (which I don't think could have happened with hindsight, no matter the team) would have led to castigation...

So, I'm glad - in hindsight - the team wasn't changed for those players' sakes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:41 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

Wait - you're dropping May and Watson?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:18 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

I'm hoping to see Ollie Lawrence come good; was touted at like age 18 as being the 'next Manu' and was called into camp by Eddie, but then dropped off the radar because of injury I think. Quick google search shows he is starting to play again this season. Still only 20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:25 pm 

Hopefully the Auckland's Joe Marchant will catch Eddie's eye when he starts playing in the right hemisphere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

May permanently and Watson so we can have a look at someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:48 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
Hopefully the Auckland's Joe Marchant will catch Eddie's eye when he starts playing in the right hemisphere.

It's certainly a genius move, go to NZ, pretend to be a kiwi and Eddie will get a boner for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

Why on earth would you do this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if Sarries play him at 15 or 13. Probably won't find out for a couple of weeks though.

edit: just seen Willemse has been added to the Sarries HEC list, so wonder if he'll be sticking around a little longer

Wasn't Willemse signed as injury dispensation, so over and above the cap, and able to stay for the season?

Separately, I wonder if Liam Williams will play at all for Saracens this season? Exeter had a situation a few years ago, when Campagnaro was back fit for the last few months of the season, but was never played, allowing the club to sign Cordero using his cap space.
With Williams out for a decent chunk of the season, and plenty of cover in his position, it would be a handy way of reducing any cap overspend with minimal impact -he could even feature for Wales in the 6N if back by then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
1. Genge
2. Fatty
3. Sinkler
4. Kruis
5. Maro
6. Dombrandt
7. Curry
8. Billy
9. Spencer
10. Ford
11. Thorely
12. Manu
13. Daly
14. Loader

16. LCD
17. Mako
18. Joe Heyes
19. Launchbury
20. Underhill
21. Robson
22. Slade
23. Nowell

Why on earth would you do this?

It’s very odd indeed. Dropping our most consistent winger who has improved immensely over the past few years would be a bizarre decision.

Cokanasiga and Thorley are definitely worth a look, but not at May’s expense.

Loader looks very promising, but he’d need to put in a lot more good performances in the Premiership before he’s a serious option IMO.

As JM2K6 said earlier in the thread, Daly ought to be the most vulnerable of our back three. Watson should be moved to full back with Nowell, Cokanasiga or Thorley coming in to the available spot on wing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 pm 

There's not really many vacancies on the wing until the Summer Tour to Japan. May, Nowell and Watson are more than satisfactory. Plenty of decent options below that as well

I've seen a lot of Loader and Cokanasiga. If I had to pick a team tomorrow involving only one of the it would be Loader and that's not just because the other one fucked off the Bath. He just doesn't have the glaring weaknesses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
There's not really many vacancies on the wing until the Summer Tour to Japan. May, Nowell and Watson are more than satisfactory. Plenty of decent options below that as well

I've seen a lot of Loader and Cokanasiga. If I had to pick a team tomorrow involving only one of the it would be Loader and that's not just because the other one fucked off the Bath. He just doesn't have the glaring weaknesses.

Whilst May doesn't lose too much of his pace, I see no reason to drop him whatsoever. Good workrate, good defence, great in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:55 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Whilst May doesn't lose too much of his pace, I see no reason to drop him whatsoever. Good workrate, good defence, great in the air.

Nor do I. One of the first names on the teamsheet when fit. Assume Eddie will go with a Fringe + Saxons squad to Japan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:53 am 

May is a superb player, but he’ll be too old at the next rwc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:51 am 

mr flaps wrote:

Dropping a good player now because he is unlikely to make the next RWC isn't a great idea imo.

Plenty of rugby before then that I'd like us to have the best possible chance if winning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:27 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Dropping a good player now because he is unlikely to make the next RWC isn't a great idea imo.

Plenty of rugby before then that I'd like us to have the best possible chance if winning.

Its utterly moronic. 4 years out, who knows who will be in what form and health.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:31 am 

blindcider wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Its utterly moronic. 4 years out, who knows who will be in what form and health.

Yep. Sure I'd have other wingers in the squadbut until one is ahead on merit I'd not drop him. Once there is someone ahead, then yes, look to the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:40 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

It's certainly a genius move, go to NZ, pretend to be a kiwi and Eddie will get a boner for you. :thumbup:

This would be the same Joe Marchant that Eddie has already capped and has been picking in his training squads since 2017 - think he might already be on the radar!

If Watson can work on his quick pass to release his winger in the outside channel then I really can’t see what Daly has over him at fullback - he’s really enhanced his reputation on the Lions tour and RWC and is still, somehow, only 25 (seems like he’s been around forever).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 am 

fatheralice wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Wasn't Willemse signed as injury dispensation, so over and above the cap, and able to stay for the season?

Separately, I wonder if Liam Williams will play at all for Saracens this season? Exeter had a situation a few years ago, when Campagnaro was back fit for the last few months of the season, but was never played, allowing the club to sign Cordero using his cap space.
With Williams out for a decent chunk of the season, and plenty of cover in his position, it would be a handy way of reducing any cap overspend with minimal impact -he could even feature for Wales in the 6N if back by then.

I'm sure Willemse's Soop club might have something to say about that :lol:

Re: Williams - I think general consensus is that he's outside the cap anyway.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Sarries are fine on the cap this season - the actual salaries they pay are fine and so long as no one else sets up a company with Big Nige then there isn't a problem.

edit: Williams has been a weird signing. On a load of money, loads of injuries, but f**king hell, what a player when he's fit. :o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:55 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
fatheralice wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've read that Sarries are fine on the cap this season - the actual salaries they pay are fine and so long as no one else sets up a company with Big Nige then there isn't a problem.

edit: Williams has been a weird signing. On a load of money, loads of injuries, but f**king hell, what a player when he's fit. :o

Hasn’t Williams been linked with a move to Toulon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 am 

The rumours in the observer were that the salary fine didn't have anything to do with the joint investments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 am 

Most frustrating thing about it is the lack of any kind of published judgement describing the actual offences. Allows Sarries the leeway to portray themselves as hard done by.

Tindall added to the list of commentators going massively easy on them in the House of Rugby Podcast this week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:32 am 

I see Lozowski thinks it's all to do with jealousy of Sarries' numerous titles. If he's naive enough to believe that then he's probably naive enough to think his club did nothing wrong.

The scummy cheating cunts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 am 

Dobbin wrote:
I see Lozowski thinks it's all to do with jealousy of Sarries' numerous titles. If he's naive enough to believe that then he's probably naive enough to think his club did nothing wrong.

The scummy cheating cunts.

Not that we needed reminding, but it's really obvious how stupid a lot of players are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
fatheralice wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Even if that were the case, they are only 'within the cap this year' because various players have taken lower contracts because of disallowed inducements.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:15 am 

mr flaps wrote:

You know it's nice to win 6 nations and things too?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 am 

Woddy wrote:
Re final: I think it will be close either way. If the SA scrum is so strong, perhaps not a bad time to revert to the more traditional strategy of starting with at least one scrimmaging props and bringing on quick 'finishers' when the game is breaking up. That way we may not get whittled away with 3-point scrum penalties. So, Marler to start?

Re Sarries / cap: post-final, especially if we win, cue a succession of well-placed opinion pieces on how Saracens have been central to the development of a successful England team, how international glories trickle down to the club game and then a reflection on cutting noses off to spite faces etc. Think I've seen one or two here on PR already.

From some weeks ago, am depressed to see how accurate this was - except that the final was not close at all, in the end. It could have been had we started with a strong set-piece against the Boks' style of play.

Far worse though is the support already being given to Sarries but more concerningly to the whole slushy world of paying players. It's generally implicit support at the moment, but may soon harden into explicit support as the only "practicable" way of effective, professional rugby continuing in England.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:26 am 

Raggs wrote:
The rumours in the observer were that the salary fine didn't have anything to do with the joint investments.

I'd not even say rumours. It's been pretty clear that the joint investments weren't the issue, but Sarries overspending was. All that's happened is the Sarries PR machine has gone into overdrive stressing that the joint investments were fine as a smokescreen for what they actually got done for, which from the reports appears to be three years of significant overspending subsequent to the last time they got caught on the fiddle.

One good thing to come out of this is the definitive proof of how lousy and, indeed, pliable, the majority of the rugby press in this country is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:32 pm 

Fundamentally, Prem rugby should release the report.

I think there's a pretty solid argument for some form of transparency around the cap. They manage it in the states, for the NHL at least, so why not here?

Even if you don't publish what individual players earn, we should be able to see what each team's overall bill is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83076 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2059, 2060, 2061, 2062, 2063, 2064, 2065 ... 2077  Next