Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Pre-Match Rituals
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:53 am 

McDonalds Breakfast.
2 or 3 shits.
Leave packing my kit until the last minute then forgetting either my towel/shorts/boots.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:00 pm 

Standard operational procedure was to drink heavily on a Friday night.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:03 pm 

Shit
Look outside for weather forecast
If it's baltic, give the ankles a wee roll before putting kit on
Pack mouth guard and keys
Kit on
Pack ones
Check I've packed mouth guard
Leave
Double check I've got mouth guard and keys before closing door
Lucozade (and sour sweets if away game, + tins) from corner shop

Warm-up neck for propping duty
At some point say "fu.cking backs"
Moan about not starting in the same position I train in

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:14 pm 

I must have a shave and shower around lunchtime day of the match.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:15 pm 

I always tried to have a ritual or be superstitious about something but kept forgetting from one week to another so never quite picked one up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:18 pm 

one of the joys of coaching a small town team is seeing your props arrive at the field and then sitting in the car as they polish off double-cheese burgers, chips and a litre of coke.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm 

Lace right boot first.
Visualise winning.
Mouth guard doesn’t go in until kick off.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm 

Just do a poo. Nothing else weird.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:56 pm 

Troll wrote:
Shit
Look outside for weather forecast
If it's baltic, give the ankles a wee roll before putting kit on
Pack mouth guard and keys
Kit on
Pack ones
Check I've packed mouth guard
Leave
Double check I've got mouth guard and keys before closing door
Lucozade (and sour sweets if away game, + tins) from corner shop

Warm-up neck for propping duty
At some point say "fu.cking backs"
Moan about not starting in the same position I train in

Kit on before leaving?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:27 pm 

Missing the motivational wind up rituals in the changing room and going to read the paper.

I fúcking hate that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:17 pm 

going to the loo. Been caught out twice in the middle of games where I've had to quickly exit the field to do the deed. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 pm 

Mine involves a lot of tape ...

Tape my wrists, thumbs and buddy strap my wonky fingers (after breaks and dislocations), tape my ankle and tape my ears down.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:30 pm 

Pasta, tuna, and cheese a few hours before the game.
Lucozade sport on the way there/just before getting changed.
Shit at some point, preferably just before the warmup.
Laterally, tape various problematic joints.
Team hoodie for the warmup, jersey only on immediately prior to kickoff.
Last minute piss.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:04 pm 

When I played good standard, it was:
Not booze on Friday
Lie in sat
Porridge for brekky
Chicken salad and bananas for lunch
Loads of Lucazade or sugary sweets

Match

Booze

When I played lower standard I probably woke up hung over most of the time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:10 pm 

I'd always strap up my wrists pretty heavily and used electrical tape to hold my socks up. Always used to ensure my shirt was tucked in to my shorts too until they started making them too small to tuck in. Want to look respectable out there. Guys running out with their shirts untucked and socks down always irritated me. Unless their name was Latham.

So nothing very unusual.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:19 pm 

Open up a bottle of wine and kick the kids off Fortnite.
Deflect any conversations about spending money.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm 

No boots until official warm-up started.

My own tunes on headphones (because the crap the rest of the guys pumped on the stereo in the change room distracted me).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:21 pm 

Take about four shits. Got to the point where I took my own big paper to games.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:19 pm 

Telegraph or Times? ..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 pm 

Diego wrote:
Kit on before leaving?

Bar shirt and boots, yes.

I'm already getting changed, why change again? :?

Ones are for after, fu.ck plum who say otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:48 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
I must have a shave and shower around lunchtime day of the match.

It's actually a shit, shower and shave. You just don't notice because of your uncontrolled bowel movement in a hot shower

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:40 am 

Nothing except a poor sleep the night before a big game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 am 

when at reffing at the top level and if the game kicked off at 18OO, I would start my hydration at about 14OO, drink about 2 or 3 litres of water by about 163O, then get to the ground at least 1 hour before KO. Do team briefs, then AR brief, then my own time which would involve a warm up listening to music

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:09 am 

Empty memorycards and charge batteries on the eve
Get oranges on away games
Check meteo

Pack camera bag twice
Pack gear bag with rain gear boots...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am 

Had to be the last player out of the changing room, not sure why had zero affect of the games.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:34 am 

Line up the drinks, have a piss, turn on telly,....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:49 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I'd always strap up my wrists pretty heavily and used electrical tape to hold my socks up. Always used to ensure my shirt was tucked in to my shorts too until they started making them too small to tuck in. Want to look respectable out there. Guys running out with their shirts untucked and socks down always irritated me. Unless their name was Latham.

So nothing very unusual.

You sound like a back.

When playing I didn't have much of a ritual, when I got into team management (bagman) the time before the game was always heavily structured and varied depending on home/away and the time of year. A typical home game in the season we won the league would look like this:

3 hours before KO arrive at the club, check the team hasn't changed, make sure the flags and post protectors are out - if not then get that done.

2.5 hours before KO put the players match shirts out in the changing room, this meant hanging each shirt on a hanger, number facing out, in each player's favoured spot in the changing room. I also had cards printed up with the club crest and the player's name which would get stuck on the wall above the shirt. Fill the water bottles, always while listening to Bobby Womack singing Sweet Caroline. Make sure the visiting changing room is clean and tidy.

2 hours before KO, players start to arrive. Check in on physio, make sure they've got everything they need. Break into physio cupboard because we've lost the key again and get more tape out. Collect subs from players, swear at the back row who always turn up missing bits of kit (usually socks). Break into kit store to get more kit because we've lost the key again. Check in on ref, discuss if we're going to need the floodlights on and if so at what point do I turn them on. Make sure the coaches are happy (they never are). Lie about players forgetting kit as this will just wind the coaches up.

1.5 hours before kick off, shout at the players who've arrived late, collect final subs, swear at the backs who've just swanned in. Check in on visitors to make sure they've arrived. Quick chat with their team manager about what they want in their jugs after the game (usually one lager and one heavy except when we're playing Edinburgh teams who all prefer prosecco). Put the jug money plus order behind the bar. One last check on the ref and players, swear at the props who haven't got changed yet despite having been there for an hour. Last check in with the coaches to confirm all present and correct.

1 hour before KO warm up starts, check in with the committee then up to the bar. Make small talk with some of the supporters, have a beer with the parents of our full back cos they're good people. Confirm with some of the older supporters that yes indeed we are going to "smash them today". Get my own kit organised.

30 min before KO, set up the video camera at the back of the stand. Discuss filming angles with the opposition's video man, handle the inevitable jokes from our support about his camera being bigger than mine. Down to the pitch, check in with the physio and coaches in case there's any last minute problems, swear at the stand off who's only now announced he doesn't have his shorts. Back to the kit room, get shorts and put them on the bench at his spot. Back out, thumbs up to the player.
VERY IMPORTANT - hand the head coach a bag of sports mix. This and Bobby Womack are my only superstitions, we once had to make the bus make an unscheduled stop on the way to an away game because I'd forgotten the sports mix.
Shake hands with the coaches, back up to the video camera and wait for kick off.

Happy times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 am 

Proper rugby man :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm 

Mine included quite a lot of the observations already made.

My changing room ritual was to go into the corner, close my eyes and pop fingers into ears and let the others "go to ten".

Well I was the ten. And it fell to me to keep a cool head and concentrate on game strategy.

I was blooming good at that plus the fact that, in my playing days could run rings around the oppos. I was extremely fast off the mark.

The other players in the sides I played for were a bit quizzical about my behaviour but got used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm 

globus wrote:

My changing room ritual was to go into the corner, close my eyes and pop fingers into ears and let the others "go to ten".

Well I was the ten. And it fell to me to keep a cool head and concentrate on game strategy.

I was blooming good at that plus the fact that, in my playing days could run rings around the oppos. I was extremely fast off the mark.

The other players in the sides I played for were a bit quizzical about my behaviour but got used to it.

How long did it take them?

Asking for a friend

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:58 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

Asking for a friend

Try and find one! Not long. My half time team talks were rather fun. I used to point the finger at those who needed to pull it out.

But I'd chuck in a few jokes while sucking on the segment of orange.

We didn't leave the field in my day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:15 pm 

globus wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
globus wrote:

Asking for a friend

Try and find one! Not long. My half time team talks were rather fun. I used to point the finger at those who needed to pull it out.

But I'd chuck in a few jokes while sucking on the segment of orange.

We didn't leave the field in my day.

This is new isn’t it? So you were captain?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:29 pm 

Beer, snacks and moving all the fragile stuff out of the room.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:49 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

So nothing very unusual.

Did exactly the same.

When not wearing my No.1s (ie dropped) I’d always wear the same Levi’s jacket to the game as it was sturdy and good for falling asleep in the phone box outside the club later on, and would empty out the pockets to find what I’d drunkenly stolen from various pubs or curry houses the previous week and completely forgotten about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 pm 

slick wrote:
I always tried to have a ritual or be superstitious about something but kept forgetting from one week to another so never quite picked one up

:D :D :D This :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:01 pm 

Traveller wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

So nothing very unusual.

You sound like a back.

When playing I didn't have much of a ritual, when I got into team management (bagman) the time before the game was always heavily structured and varied depending on home/away and the time of year. A typical home game in the season we won the league would look like this:

3 hours before KO arrive at the club, check the team hasn't changed, make sure the flags and post protectors are out - if not then get that done.

2.5 hours before KO put the players match shirts out in the changing room, this meant hanging each shirt on a hanger, number facing out, in each player's favoured spot in the changing room. I also had cards printed up with the club crest and the player's name which would get stuck on the wall above the shirt. Fill the water bottles, always while listening to Bobby Womack singing Sweet Caroline. Make sure the visiting changing room is clean and tidy.

2 hours before KO, players start to arrive. Check in on physio, make sure they've got everything they need. Break into physio cupboard because we've lost the key again and get more tape out. Collect subs from players, swear at the back row who always turn up missing bits of kit (usually socks). Break into kit store to get more kit because we've lost the key again. Check in on ref, discuss if we're going to need the floodlights on and if so at what point do I turn them on. Make sure the coaches are happy (they never are). Lie about players forgetting kit as this will just wind the coaches up.

1.5 hours before kick off, shout at the players who've arrived late, collect final subs, swear at the backs who've just swanned in. Check in on visitors to make sure they've arrived. Quick chat with their team manager about what they want in their jugs after the game (usually one lager and one heavy except when we're playing Edinburgh teams who all prefer prosecco). Put the jug money plus order behind the bar. One last check on the ref and players, swear at the props who haven't got changed yet despite having been there for an hour. Last check in with the coaches to confirm all present and correct.

1 hour before KO warm up starts, check in with the committee then up to the bar. Make small talk with some of the supporters, have a beer with the parents of our full back cos they're good people. Confirm with some of the older supporters that yes indeed we are going to "smash them today". Get my own kit organised.

30 min before KO, set up the video camera at the back of the stand. Discuss filming angles with the opposition's video man, handle the inevitable jokes from our support about his camera being bigger than mine. Down to the pitch, check in with the physio and coaches in case there's any last minute problems, swear at the stand off who's only now announced he doesn't have his shorts. Back to the kit room, get shorts and put them on the bench at his spot. Back out, thumbs up to the player.
VERY IMPORTANT - hand the head coach a bag of sports mix. This and Bobby Womack are my only superstitions, we once had to make the bus make an unscheduled stop on the way to an away game because I'd forgotten the sports mix.
Shake hands with the coaches, back up to the video camera and wait for kick off.

Happy times.

Sounds like you played/coached at a high standard? What level did you play/coach?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:14 pm 

Nothing significant. Don't eat that much before a game, but might start having a chocolate bar or something closer to kick off.

Don't get involved in too much of the pre match psych up but get in the circle with the lads.

Tape up my ring finger to my little finger since the little finger doesn't bend, so it can get caught in shorts sometimes. Now the ring finger is a bit damaged too so they keep each other together. Don't need tape to hold my socks up, my calves do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
Sounds like you played/coached at a high standard? What level did you play/coach?

Not really, we set very high standards for ourselves as a collective (players, coaches, management, physios etc) but we were very much an amateur club. We had a goal of winning promotion by winning the league, something that had never been done by our club before - we'd always gone up the leagues by coming second. The season I had in mind when I wrote that was the year we won the league title in what was the third top amateur league in Scotland. So in the grand scheme of things not that high a level, but we took a lot of satisfaction from seeing our professional mind set and approach pay off. Edit:: little details like putting the match jerseys on hangers under an official looking name card were ideas we got from professional set ups, but they made the players feel like they were part of something big. The players took on a lot of responsibility that season and the one before it too - some of their extra fitness sessions were brutal.

We had the mother and father of all parties the weekend we brought the title home though :-)

Last edited by Traveller on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Get a beer (or a whisky)

Turn on the telly

watch and criticise the ref

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 pm 

An Irish protein shake - aka pint of Guinness to fill the fuel tank. Can’t bate it.