Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 am 

Quote:
Jake to lure South Africans
2012-02-01 09:07Email | Print

Canberra - Brumbies coach Jake White wants to use a new alliance with the University of Canberra as the extra bait to lure South Africa's most talented juniors to the capital.
The Brumbies have boosted their immediate finances on the eve of the Super Rugby competition by announcing a one-year naming rights sponsorship with the University of Canberra, worth an estimated $1million.

But White, who guided South Africa to the 2007 World Cup, is determined to convert the relationship into a long-term gain for his playing roster.

White plans to capitalise on the strong connection between rugby and education in South Africa. As a former Springboks coach, he still holds a lot of influence on where South Africa's rising stars choose to play.

"I would love to attract some boys to come and play rugby in Australia," White said.

"Every day I get calls from dads [in South Africa] asking where I suggest their kid can play.

"It shouldn't be underestimated a lot of South Africans will see this link and see it as an opportunity [to come and try to play for the Brumbies].

"Our challenge is to make sure we at the Brumbies do our homework ... it can't just be a sponsorship arrangement, it has to be a genuine boost and partnership."

When White signed a four-year deal to coach the Brumbies last May, he expressed his desire to recruit South African schoolboy stars and get them to train in the club's development programs.

Now he wants university delegates to travel with the Brumbies to South Africa in April and organise meetings with top young players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 am 

Eish...disapointing from White.
He must leave our kids alone.
What a schmuck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 am 

Monk Zombie wrote:
Quote:

Canberra - Brumbies coach Jake White wants to use a new alliance with the University of Canberra as the extra bait to lure South Africa's most talented juniors to the capital.
The Brumbies have boosted their immediate finances on the eve of the Super Rugby competition by announcing a one-year naming rights sponsorship with the University of Canberra, worth an estimated $1million.

But White, who guided South Africa to the 2007 World Cup, is determined to convert the relationship into a long-term gain for his playing roster.

White plans to capitalise on the strong connection between rugby and education in South Africa. As a former Springboks coach, he still holds a lot of influence on where South Africa's rising stars choose to play.

"I would love to attract some boys to come and play rugby in Australia," White said.

"Every day I get calls from dads [in South Africa] asking where I suggest their kid can play.

"It shouldn't be underestimated a lot of South Africans will see this link and see it as an opportunity [to come and try to play for the Brumbies].

"Our challenge is to make sure we at the Brumbies do our homework ... it can't just be a sponsorship arrangement, it has to be a genuine boost and partnership."

When White signed a four-year deal to coach the Brumbies last May, he expressed his desire to recruit South African schoolboy stars and get them to train in the club's development programs.

Now he wants university delegates to travel with the Brumbies to South Africa in April and organise meetings with top young players.

Rugby is now a global sport, and teams are competing in a global player market. If players can be lured to Canberra from South Africa with promises of better pay, running water and a vastly lower crime rate, good on the Brumbies for doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:
Quote:

Rugby is now a global sport, and teams are competing in a global player market. If players can be lured to Canberra from South Africa with promises of better pay, running water and a vastly lower crime rate, good on the Brumbies for doing so.

Probably the reason why you left NZ for Aus? Sound like a expert.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 am 

OomPB wrote:

No need to get defensive Boet. People leave NZ to earn more money offshore. And they generally return later in life. Whereas most South African chicken runners tend to flee their homeland for "lifestyle reasons". Just saying.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 am 

Quote:

Better pay...no sure of that
Running water...SA is one of the few countries in the world where tap water is safe to drink
As for the crime rate :lol:

The more things change, the more things remain the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 am 

Nickdemus wrote:
Quote:

Running water...SA is one of the few countries in the world where tap water is safe to drink

Just a bit of freindly banter Nick :proud:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

No need to get defensive Boet. People leave NZ to earn more money offshore. And they generally return later in life. Whereas most South African chicken runners tend to flee their homeland for "lifestyle reasons". Just saying.

Show me one Saffer chicken runner who never return to SA and I'll say he is a klingonner.

SA waiste a lot of young rugby talent going to Varsity. They'll to go play rugby like in school and end up having no time having to priortise between rugby/studies/social. Rugby ende up last in the modern game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 am 

I hope he can secure Australia some future Wallaby forwards who know how to scrummage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 am 

Only 9 posts in and you're already acting like a complete tool, Ali. Business as usual, in otherwise.

As for Jake White, he can piss off with his poaching ways.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 am 

You can't blame White. He is a professional in a professional era and has to serve his paymasters. I'd be very surprised if he gave bad advice to up and coming players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:54 am 

Eddie Jones helped SA to the RWC in 2007 and you didn't hear any aussie posters on here hanging shit on him for it. What's the problem?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 am 

freewheelan wrote:
Eddie Jones helped SA to the RWC in 2007 and you didn't hear any aussie posters on here hanging shit on him for it. What's the problem?

the problem is telling the difference between apples and oranges.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:59 am 

freewheelan wrote:

Poaching is one thing, poaching kids is another.
Not too wrong I suppose, just dislike White more and more...almost as though he has a vendetta with SA rugby now.
Spoilt little school teacher is what he is comming across as.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 am 

I welcome all good young saffer forwards who are coming to Canberra in the hope of making it to our super rugby teams :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am 

Nickdemus wrote:
What a schmuck.

He's providing a social service, helping young South Africans into a safe environment, you should be pleased how he is helping out your fellow countrymen boet... :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am 

theaxe wrote:
Nickdemus wrote:
What a schmuck.

He's providing a social service, helping young South Africans into a safe environment, you should be pleased how he is helping out your fellow countrymen boet... :P

Bollocks, he is fishing in the wrong pool. :x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:06 am 

G'day PB

wouldn't the South African teams in Europe be a bigger threat to poach your talented young blokes than Jake in Canberra?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:06 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Do you generally enjoy raising the subject of crime, social conditions, and lifestyle of SA? You seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am 

freewheelan wrote:
I hope he can secure Australia some future Wallaby forwards who know how to scrummage.

Eh?

Have you watched any Australia v South Africa games in recent years?

Oh sure, playing Smit at prop didn't help, but...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:15 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:
Quote:

Rugby is now a global sport, and teams are competing in a global player market.

:roll:
Spoken like a true Canterbury supporter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 am 

biffer wrote:
G'day PB

wouldn't the South African teams in Europe be a bigger threat to poach your talented young blokes than Jake in Canberra?

they aren't doing it.

for a while now the australians have been about our craven week competition seeking to lure saffers to australia. would love to hear JoN if it was the other way round.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 am 

Jake has form in this area I'm afraid.

Last time he was working as an "agent" for Wales. They recruited Hal Luscombe. Australia can have a dozen of those, yes please.

I'm not upset about it, he's the head coach of the Brumbies now and working for their benefit. What next, Alex Ferguson signing Scottish schoolbys?! If he'd become the head coach of the WP I'd expect him to encourage young players from elsewhere to sign up to the local universities. We had Sam Lane at WP for a while - it didn't work out in the end, but hey ho. JP du Plessis tried league and the Melbourne Rebels, now he's back in Cape Town. It's what aspiring professionals do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am 

Broken ACT. Wish they could find 22 blokes who actually grew up playing rugby in their own province. :((

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:25 am 

Monk Zombie wrote:
freewheelan wrote:

the problem is telling the difference between apples and oranges.

They have been coming before Jake White arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 am 

Shirly all teams are on the lookout for good young players no matter where they come from, I don't really see the problem. Can't these kids go to Canberra, get an education play a bit of rugby and then still represent the Boks if the desire?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 am 

Nickdemus wrote:
Quote:

Running water...SA is one of the few 3rd world countries in the world where tap water is safe to drink

fixed for you Nick ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 am 

I agree with Ali and Dewet on this one. It's professional. It's a job. Talented players should take opportunities when they get presented. They won't always get many.

Personally I prefer them going to Aus instead of England and France. At least we get to see what they are made of in Super rugby and they seasons are aligned, should we need to call on their services (before the Aussies do).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:04 pm 

Dewet Pisser wrote:
You can't blame White. He is a professional in a professional era and has to serve his paymasters. I'd be very surprised if he gave bad advice to up and coming players.

A mercenary?

I see this as being not too dissimilar to the rationale that corporates use to push and break ethical boundaries and even laws, all in the name of shareholders. Naive I know, but I had hoped that rugby might be a little different from the shenanigans that go on in, say, soccer and the obvious plum that type of sport breeds or attracts. I guess rugby must be a slave to the same nefarious ways, simply because it is supposedly professional (how that word has been sullied). Of course Jake White will have a perfectly good explanation, that doesn't mean that it should be universally accepted or liked.

A new bored and now this. Sigh!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Do you generally enjoy raising the subject of crime, social conditions, and lifestyle of SA? You seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about it.

Get real. I commented on a rugby thread, stating the obvious fact that South Africans migrate to Australia (and NZ for that matter) for both economic and lifestyle reasons. Like it or not that is fact. They flee to Australia and NZ in the tens of thousands. Feel free to post some links to me spending an "awful lot of time" talking about SA's social problems, because the reality is I rarely do. You're not usually the precious type Beaver Shark, what's up?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 pm 

Blake wrote:
I agree with Ali and Dewet on this one. It's professional. It's a job. Talented players should take opportunities when they get presented. They won't always get many.

Personally I prefer them going to Aus instead of England and France. At least we get to see what they are made of in Super rugby and they seasons are aligned, should we need to call on their services (before the Aussies do).

Won't be long until SANZAR is an open player market, with junior players from across SA, NZ, Aus and Argentina routinely moving between these countries to further their careers. And that won't be a bad thing. If anything the big losers in such a scenario will be NZ, we cannot compete with the money offered to top SA and Australian players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 pm 

Finsbury Girl wrote:
Broken ACT. Wish they could find 22 blokes who actually grew up playing rugby in their own province. :((

Some of them are playing for the Reds...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm 

NRL clubs are more of a threat like the Roosters and Storm sending scouts to Craven Week on a regular basis and getting quite a few youngsters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Get real. I commented on a rugby thread, stating the obvious fact that South Africans migrate to Australia (and NZ for that matter) for both economic and lifestyle reasons. Like it or not that is fact. They flee to Australia and NZ in the tens of thousands. Feel free to post some links to me spending an "awful lot of time" talking about SA's social problems, because the reality is I rarely do. You're not usually the precious type Beaver Shark, what's up?

Are you saying on the old bored you rarely spoke about our AIDSs, crime, social conditions, prisons, shantytowns, etc? Heck a number of posters even accused you of trolling about such things, but hey I'm probably imagining that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:21 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

Are you saying on the old bored you rarely spoke about our AIDSs, crime, social conditions, prisons, shantytowns, etc? Heck a number of posters even accused you of trolling about such things, but hey I'm probably imagining that as well.

I made 42,000 posts, and probably commented on SA's horrific HIV epidemic about twenty times. Perhaps in your world that is me spending an "an awful lot of time" obsessing with your country's social ills.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:22 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
OomPB wrote:

No mention of Mumbai yet? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm 

Nickdemus wrote:
No mention of Mumbai yet? :roll:

C'mon, that was a bit of fun. One picture innocently placed in what was an otherwise perfectly normal match thread OP. The aftermath was entertaining, no?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I made 42,000 posts, and probably commented on SA's horrific HIV epidemic about twenty times. Perhaps in your world that is me spending an "an awful lot of time" obsessing with your country's social ills.

:lol: 20 times in one thread sometimes, you gigantic arse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm 

I guess we should troll Ali about christchurch, maybe something along the lines of: "White should go check out the talent in the Christchurch area, loads of kids who don't wanna grow up in a city that resembles a set used on the filming of 2012."

I can't be bothered...

Kids are welcome to chickenrun all they want, but if they wanna end up a depressed and wasted talent like clyde rathbone, so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:46 pm 

RiaanYsterIII wrote:
I guess we should troll Ali about christchurch, maybe something along the lines of: "White should go check out the talent in the Christchurch area, loads of kids who don't wanna grow up in a city that resembles a set used on the filming of 2012."

I can't be bothered...

Kids are welcome to chickenrun all they want, but if they wanna end up a depressed and wasted talent like clyde rathbone, so be it.

Why don't you look back at what I actually said. My goodness you guys get defensive about poverty. It's like mentioning the word "unemployment" around Irish posters.