Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
So going for my first training session on wednesday, haven't played in over a decade.

I need boots, what do I need? I'll just be going down the smal;l local sports shop (there's a sports direct too, if they have anything alright).

Need stuff for the boy too, 6 year old, since he'll be starting in just over a week too!

Any suggestions, advice, etc etc welcome!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21005
You need a pair of Spanx. They give greater support and encourage recovery. Try and get the black ones as the nude ones are hard to clean.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1942
EverReady wrote:
You need a pair of Spanx. They give greater support and encourage recovery. Try and get the black ones as the nude ones are hard to clean.


Top tip ! ... :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17218
Location: Centre of the Universe
What position(s) do you think you'll be playing?

Does your club supply shorts? If not, I like the newer Canterbury ones (probably others are copying this now) that has a winding strip of silicone/rubber on the inside of the waistband. Helps keep one's shirt/undershirt tucked in.

You won't need cold gear yet, but keep an eye out for sales on a good shirt for those fridgid, wet days and I always wear the compression shorts under my rugby shorts all season long. They keep the lads in place and one's 'funder 'fighs snug.

As for boots, comfort is rule one, imo. You may want longer aluminium studs if pushing in the scrum, but moulded studs can vary in length as well.

... and prepare yourself mentally for beastings at training! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20422
Location: Middle East
K-tape. (duct tape works in a pinch)

Industrial strength anti-inflammatories stocked up and ready to go by your bedside and in your kitbag. Water, rehydration/ electrolyte tabs/drops in kit and bedside.

Inform work that you may not be able to move/ function on Monday


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1027
This time of year the ground's still pretty decent and firm, so a decent pair of moulded boots will be more comfortable (though you'll need studs soon enough). Mizuno Morelia Neo are so bloody comfortable and ultralight (way better than Copas imho).

Mouthguard, horse linament and Vaseline also prerequisites. And, as the new boy, you'll need to provide team smellies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 6008
multiple pairs of clean underwear........ you'll thank me later..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5408
Raggs wrote:
So going for my first training session on wednesday, haven't played in over a decade.

I need boots, what do I need? I'll just be going down the smal;l local sports shop (there's a sports direct too, if they have anything alright).

Need stuff for the boy too, 6 year old, since he'll be starting in just over a week too!

Any suggestions, advice, etc etc welcome!


How old are you?

You need some stories of your past glories to regale, just steal from here;

You gave the Thurrock 7 a damn good thrashing.
You used to be stronger than Richie McCaw (and you took Pacquiao in a street brawl)
You played for England and the British and Irish Lions, what the fudge have they done?


Should do the trick.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
I'm 34. Played scrum half as a boy but I'm not doing that. I'm 174cm and 93kg (big thighs and arse). I don't want to go in the front row so maybe try and get in the backrow? Happy with physical stuff and did a lot of judo and jiu jitsu in the past.

Only training at the moment but i guess we'll see!

Suggestions on gumshields? Old boil and burn your mouth ones still the norm?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 18921
Yes those gunshields are still the norm. get 8 stud boots and learn to thow as you'll definitely be shifted in to hooker with those stats and that age (and assumed lack of speed/skills...).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Diego wrote:
Yes those gunshields are still the norm. get 8 stud boots and learn to thow as you'll definitely be shifted in to hooker with those stats and that age (and assumed lack of speed/skills...).


That's my fear...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 am
Posts: 18921
Raggs wrote:
Diego wrote:
Yes those gunshields are still the norm. get 8 stud boots and learn to thow as you'll definitely be shifted in to hooker with those stats and that age (and assumed lack of speed/skills...).


That's my fear...

It's supposedly great craic once you have the hang of it. My neck would snap in the first scrum but I'm sure you'll do grand


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17218
Location: Centre of the Universe
frillage wrote:
You played for England and the British and Irish Lions, what the fudge have they done?


Should do the trick.


I thought, by the tales told by every single British/Irish import I've ever met in Canada, that you all turn out for your national age grade or, at worst, your county rep side.


re: gumshields... I've never done it, but hear dentists can do better grade / fitted ones these days for not much more than the 'higher quality' ones bought in a store. (Last I played, I was still using the one that only cost a fiver ... and think it found its way into my pocket for most of the match. :blush: )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Well I ache. My shoulder, neck and back are all very sore and no doubt in the morning will be very stiff. I was thrown in with the forwards, when deciding, I was asked "Do you like running?" for which there is only one sensible answer, and my forward career was born.

I don't think I'll end up at hooker btw, since one of the first questions was "How much do you weigh? Do you mind jumping?" Gave it go, and didn't completely fudge it up. Put in a couple of decent hits (hence the shoulder, neck and back). Overall had a good time, and assuming I can get up by next week, I'll go again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:50 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
Raggs wrote:
Well I ache. My shoulder, neck and back are all very sore and no doubt in the morning will be very stiff. I was thrown in with the forwards, when deciding, I was asked "Do you like running?" for which there is only one sensible answer, and my forward career was born.

I don't think I'll end up at hooker btw, since one of the first questions was "How much do you weigh? Do you mind jumping?" Gave it go, and didn't completely fudge it up. Put in a couple of decent hits (hence the shoulder, neck and back). Overall had a good time, and assuming I can get up by next week, I'll go again!


Hey Bud, I for one am impressed. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
nuffsaid wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Well I ache. My shoulder, neck and back are all very sore and no doubt in the morning will be very stiff. I was thrown in with the forwards, when deciding, I was asked "Do you like running?" for which there is only one sensible answer, and my forward career was born.

I don't think I'll end up at hooker btw, since one of the first questions was "How much do you weigh? Do you mind jumping?" Gave it go, and didn't completely fudge it up. Put in a couple of decent hits (hence the shoulder, neck and back). Overall had a good time, and assuming I can get up by next week, I'll go again!


Hey Bud, I for one am impressed. :nod:


I was quite surprised with myself too. At first I thought it was a huge mistake, played a game of touch to start and I was fecking blowing, whilst fat lads were skinning me. Hung out on the wing so long I actually scored a try! Did a bit better with the physical stuff, managed to get under those same fat lads and drive them back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 pm
Posts: 2188
Are you going to do ruck marks for yourself after your first game?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Scrumhead wrote:
Are you going to do ruck marks for yourself after your first game?


:lol: :lol:

I drove two guys off a ruck (I was defending against the first team, in a team run), decided to make it a bit harder on them. So that'd be a 3 or a 4 I reckon. Other than that, I'd expect a lot of present (1 point) unnecessary/insufficients :D.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17218
Location: Centre of the Universe
Raggs wrote:
Well I ache. My shoulder, neck and back are all very sore and no doubt in the morning will be very stiff. I was thrown in with the forwards, when deciding, I was asked "Do you like running?" for which there is only one sensible answer, and my forward career was born...


... don't forwards cover more ground than backs, though? (Especially in more social sides where the backs are more likely to drop and not make long runs, whereas forwards are held to the old standard of getting one's ass to every other ruck?)

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Nieghorn wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Well I ache. My shoulder, neck and back are all very sore and no doubt in the morning will be very stiff. I was thrown in with the forwards, when deciding, I was asked "Do you like running?" for which there is only one sensible answer, and my forward career was born...


... don't forwards cover more ground than backs, though? (Especially in more social sides where the backs are more likely to drop and not make long runs, whereas forwards are held to the old standard of getting one's ass to every other ruck?)

:D


I suspect forwards cover more ground, but at a slower pace, which looks OK to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 pm
Posts: 2188
I stopped playing at the end of the 16/17 season. I was unlucky to get a nasty break that hadn’t healed by the time pre-season training started for last season and I haven’t been back since.

I’d like to play again but I’d be 3rd team standard at best now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17934
Just enjoy it you lucky bastard

There's not a Saturday in season gone by for the last 6 years when I haven't missed it. You're a long time retired


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
So, any tips on recovery? A couple of ibuprofen took the edge off this morning, and I no longer seem to be twinging/spasming when I look around, it's just all achy and sore. Had a hot bath when I got home after, but think I might have another tonight.

Need to get some deep heat I guess?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17218
Location: Centre of the Universe
Full stretches for me. I got physio done years ago for my achilles issues and therapist asked what stretching I was doing. She said it wasn't enough, and I hadn't realised what else was 'connected', and that I wasn't holding long enough. Doing several, doing it twice, and holding for 30 seconds each means I haven't had those issues since.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Nieghorn wrote:
Full stretches for me. I got physio done years ago for my achilles issues and therapist asked what stretching I was doing. She said it wasn't enough, and I hadn't realised what else was 'connected', and that I wasn't holding long enough. Doing several, doing it twice, and holding for 30 seconds each means I haven't had those issues since.


Right, so working out a proper stretching routine is on the books then.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6029
happyhooker wrote:
Just enjoy it you lucky bastard

There's not a Saturday in season gone by for the last 6 years when I haven't missed it. You're a long time retired


Have to say I don't miss it at all.

I was always a bit of a 1st XV or nothing type, just didn't enjoy playing without training with the team. Had most of the great experiences of my life playing but after I stopped I haven't looked back. In saying that almost all my friends and social life still revolves around rugby and rugby clubs.

Maybe part of it is that rugby has changed so much in the last few years that it almost seems like a different game, different social side.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17934
slick wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Just enjoy it you lucky bastard

There's not a Saturday in season gone by for the last 6 years when I haven't missed it. You're a long time retired


Have to say I don't miss it at all.

I was always a bit of a 1st XV or nothing type, just didn't enjoy playing without training with the team. Had most of the great experiences of my life playing but after I stopped I haven't looked back. In saying that almost all my friends and social life still revolves around rugby and rugby clubs.

Maybe part of it is that rugby has changed so much in the last few years that it almost seems like a different game, different social side.

You're dead inside.

I was the same, always played in a 1st XV until I retired at 41 (admittedly having dropped down many leagues)
After a year I missed it so badly that I was thinking of going and playing 2nd3rd team but my arthritic knee diagnosis put the kibosh on that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24942
Don’t do it. Seems like a good idea. It isn’t. Rugby is a game for young people. Forget it. Turn into a grumpy old man like me. You’ll probably have to learn the hard way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 624
This Saturday will be my first retired, at the age of 31.

Way too many knocks last season, especially to the head - including being ko'ed 10 minutes into the first game and out until Christmas. Thought I'd be ok with it, but found watching rugby on TV pretty depressing so far. Might need to switch off from rugby for a little while :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17218
Location: Centre of the Universe
Raggs wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Full stretches for me. I got physio done years ago for my achilles issues and therapist asked what stretching I was doing. She said it wasn't enough, and I hadn't realised what else was 'connected', and that I wasn't holding long enough. Doing several, doing it twice, and holding for 30 seconds each means I haven't had those issues since.


Right, so working out a proper stretching routine is on the books then.


Post-exercise stretches, I should have added. There's meant to be not much - even harmful - in pre-game stretches. 'Dynamic' movements are all the rage to get the blood flowing and the parts loose before activity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Nieghorn wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Full stretches for me. I got physio done years ago for my achilles issues and therapist asked what stretching I was doing. She said it wasn't enough, and I hadn't realised what else was 'connected', and that I wasn't holding long enough. Doing several, doing it twice, and holding for 30 seconds each means I haven't had those issues since.


Right, so working out a proper stretching routine is on the books then.


Post-exercise stretches, I should have added. There's meant to be not much - even harmful - in pre-game stretches. 'Dynamic' movements are all the rage to get the blood flowing and the parts loose before activity.


Yeah, I know that pre-exercises are pointless and potentially harmful.

Think another ibuprofen and a hot shower.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11968
Stamp your authority at your new club and get a t-shirt that says YOU C*NTS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RUGBY.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
fatcat wrote:
Stamp your authority at your new club and get a t-shirt that says YOU C*NTS KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RUGBY.


:lol: :lol:

I'm planning on going through my small collection of shirts for training, starting with the better fitting ones first!

Think I made a good first impression with the large beard and getting stuck straight in, so that's nice.

Most the soreness has gone now, it's just regular old muscle ache after exercise, my back is still tight though (got a regular spot that get's badly knotted, hopefully it'll loosen rather than tighten in the next couple of days).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11968
I'd lose the beard or you'll definitely end up propping!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
fatcat wrote:
I'd lose the beard or you'll definitely end up propping!


It's a fantastic beard though, and I'm not in the mood to shave it off yet. Hooker is my fear, I'm not as scared of being a prop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22631
Location: Chickenrunning...
Well done Raggs, good for you :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
Turns out it's much easier watching you 6 year old train, than training yourself.

He had a good time and wants to go back, so I can breath a sigh of relief that I'm at least getting one thing right :D.

The other thing I'm getting right is his boots.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regulate-Kakar ... B0137QU3GE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 843
Location: Raglan , Monmouthshire
Duff Paddy wrote:
Don’t do it. Seems like a good idea. It isn’t. Rugby is a game for young people. Forget it. Turn into a grumpy old man like me. You’ll probably have to learn the hard way.


Duff Paddy is quite right. I was drawn back in my mid 30s only to find I hated the fitness and got knocked around pretty badly. The game seemed different, the youngsters seemed much bigger and faster. I decided pretty quickly that it wasn't for me anymore. Im in my 50's now and like Duff Paddy am excelling in the grumpy old man role.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14309
Get some compression tights, both top and bottom. And wear some fingerless gloves too. Plus a scrumcap, especially if you're a back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16728
So another training, another bad back and this time pulled groin. Sat out some of the more running around bits, but got into the forwards training again, got put at tighthead just to fill in on the scrum machine... I think if my back wasn't already bad and my groin not pulled, it would have been quite good fun, as opposed to just quite fun.

Seconds are playing on saturday, and it looks like I'm going to be on the bench if I want to be. I think I'll probably want to stay on the bench, but we'll see! Could be a laugh :D.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bert, Deadtigers, Ghost-Of-Nepia, Google Adsense [Bot], J Man, Lacrobat, mr flaps, Peteray, sunnybanana, Zico and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group