Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11920
As if by magic :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27471
Location: Hut 8
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Ignorant question, what is a walking axe as opposed to a climbing axe? I can see the use of walking poles but I am struggling to see what you'd use an axe for when walking.

It's not at all. It's a very technical point (ahem) and the boundaries are blurred.

Generally a "walking" axe is designed to help you stop slipping or sliding on snow or loose surfaces. A mountaineering or ice axe is designed more to cut into things to provide grip.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20619
Or, as my instructor when I was taking my winter mountain leader's course put it; a walking axe is there to try and save you plummeting to your death whereas a climbing axe will put you in the position where that's the only option


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8622
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
sorCrer wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Bought 1 of these in May

Image


Didn't realise you were a hairdresser.

Your stalking is getting a tad weird, not quite as weird as a 50yr old going to Belgium for a Guetta gig, but close


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1965
Leffe wrote:
clydecloggie, if you have a bike repair stand, put the bike on and watch the rear shifter do it's thing. It's pure bike pron, especially after riding an older bike.


I'm in looovvvee...
First proper ride this weekend - what a belter of a bike.
despite it being the first miles on it, braking in corners where I never brake and nearly losing the front wheel about five times, and far form ideal trail conditions, I still ended up setting PRs on most of the Strava segments. This thing is fast and I'm not worthy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 4527
clydecloggie wrote:
Leffe wrote:
clydecloggie, if you have a bike repair stand, put the bike on and watch the rear shifter do it's thing. It's pure bike pron, especially after riding an older bike.


I'm in looovvvee...
First proper ride this weekend - what a belter of a bike.
despite it being the first miles on it, braking in corners where I never brake and nearly losing the front wheel about five times, and far form ideal trail conditions, I still ended up setting PRs on most of the Strava segments. This thing is fast and I'm not worthy.

I hear you! Seems to go exactly where is should around corners; improvements in every aspect of riding.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27471
Location: Hut 8
happyhooker wrote:
Or, as my instructor when I was taking my winter mountain leader's course put it; a walking axe is there to try and save you plummeting to your death whereas a climbing axe will put you in the position where that's the only option

:lol:
I'll remember that one. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
happyhooker wrote:
Dodgy tattoos, making your own knives.

Nope, definitely no red flags for the security services there.......


This is the rough grind of the blade I am working on for my son. High carbon so he will have to look after it. Dragon blade...I just love the feel of it in the hands but still very heavy with lots of steel still to come off and my even do a full length groove on either side to reduce weight...

Image

Now I pull out the grinder I bought and make this bad boy shine ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5957
Sards wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Dodgy tattoos, making your own knives.

Nope, definitely no red flags for the security services there.......


This is the rough grind of the blade I am working on for my son. High carbon so he will have to look after it. Dragon blade...I just love the feel of it in the hands but still very heavy with lots of steel still to come off and my even do a full length groove on either side to reduce weight...

Image

Now I pull out the grinder I bought and make this bad boy shine ...


“Which left a mans decapitated body. A body which at this time has no name!”
“Sards knows his name”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2376
Bose Frames - duty free, gadget curiosity got the better of me.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5996
Delivered today 8x8

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4899
Location: Te Ika a Maui
Sards wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Dodgy tattoos, making your own knives.

Nope, definitely no red flags for the security services there.......


This is the rough grind of the blade I am working on for my son. High carbon so he will have to look after it. Dragon blade...I just love the feel of it in the hands but still very heavy with lots of steel still to come off and my even do a full length groove on either side to reduce weight...

Image

Now I pull out the grinder I bought and make this bad boy shine ...

I admire your technical abilities but that is one of the ugliest most useless knives I believe I've ever seen. What's its supposed purpose?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25772
Location: Chickenrunning...
usermame wrote:
Sards wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Dodgy tattoos, making your own knives.

Nope, definitely no red flags for the security services there.......


This is the rough grind of the blade I am working on for my son. High carbon so he will have to look after it. Dragon blade...I just love the feel of it in the hands but still very heavy with lots of steel still to come off and my even do a full length groove on either side to reduce weight...

Image

Now I pull out the grinder I bought and make this bad boy shine ...

I admire your technical abilities but that is one of the ugliest most useless knives I believe I've ever seen. What's its supposed purpose?


His son will use it to mug fellow students outside the tuckshop at school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
Image

Just received this one ... bit nervous about buying Damascus steel blades as you are never quite sure about what actually goes into the mix but I am not equipped to do Damascus...the handle is a bit heavy which makes balance an issue... for the rest...we will see after some testing.


Last edited by Sards on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
usermame wrote:

Image


I admire your technical abilities but that is one of the ugliest most useless knives I believe I've ever seen. What's its supposed purpose?


I also thought it was not a practical design and more a showpiece type blade ..... but it was what my son wanted so I got stuck in.

In actual fact the curves on the blade actually almost double the cutting length. So if you slash you get a lot more edge on the slash than a straight blade...what you would use it for.......?.....
show. That's all polished up now and ready for heat treatment and final polish and handle...need to find time...one of my favorites in blades I have made...still pondering what type of handle will suite it
And cant wait to slash away with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4899
Location: Te Ika a Maui
Sards wrote:
Image

Just received this one ... bit nervous about buying Damascus steel blades as you are never quite sure about what actually goes into the mix but I am not equipped to do Damascus...the handle is a bit heavy which makes balance an issue... for the rest...we will see after some testing.

actually gave this one to the Missus to use in the kitchen...happy as pie...the balance is very off putting .

Are the notches for anything? That one looks better, though I'd like more finger guard if it was mine, seeing there's nothing on the top. Don't imagine it being very practical as a kitchen knife, can't think of a job it would do well. Maybe tunnel boning a leg of animal, maybe. Won't work well on a chopping board and might have difficulty using it for paring.


Last edited by usermame on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
double post


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
usermame wrote:
Sards wrote:
Image

Just received this one ... bit nervous about buying Damascus steel blades as you are never quite sure about what actually goes into the mix but I am not equipped to do Damascus...the handle is a bit heavy which makes balance an issue... for the rest...we will see after some testing.

actually gave this one to the Missus to use in the kitchen...happy as pie...the balance is very off putting .

Are the notches for anything? That one looks better, though I'd like more finger guard if it was mine. Don't imagine it being very practical as a kitchen knife, can't think of a job it would do well. Maybe tunnel boning a leg of animal, maybe. Won't work well on a chopping board and might have difficulty using it for paring.


The notches are a signature that most knife makers use these days....

That balance issue was driving me crazy....the tip tends to lift with a thrust and you feel you don't have enough weight on the blade when chopping.......oh well.....missus loves it. Chopped some onion for my lunch and she is as pleased as punch.

agree re the finger guard....its a very sharp blade and the top section is slippery with the bronze so your hand can easily slide up the blade....but for chopping in the kitchen its fine....just wouldn't take it on a hunting trip


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4899
Location: Te Ika a Maui
I suppose it's very sharp and that's why she liked it. I've never had much joy with that shape as a kitchen knife, there's no clearance for knuckles so the handle of the knife must be kept back from the edge of the board or one can't use the straight edge of the blade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
usermame wrote:
I suppose it's very sharp and that's why she liked it. I've never had much joy with that shape as a kitchen knife, there's no clearance for knuckles so the handle of the knife must be kept back from the edge of the board or one can't use the straight edge of the blade.


the curve to the tip helps with cutting right through....Like I said in the comment re the Dragon blade a curved blade gives you more cutting edge.....but nah....wont be buying a knife off the internet again....you need to hold it in your hand and feel it.

Its pretty tho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1531
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4899
Location: Te Ika a Maui
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.

What, you mean like onion murder?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11920
How about a repressed gay overcompensatory macho knife making thread?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17655
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Delivered today 8x8

Image


Nice shed - Ketter? Or Palmyra ?
Can’t be a good non-wooden shed imho (I find the wooden ones just don’t last and are little different in price)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14103
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28218
Location: Innie Kaap
redderneck wrote:
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


That's the thing really...you never get to give them a proper test.

Oh I have taken different blades along camping but you tend to hide them away in case the kids find it. Also it looks a bit wierd if you are walking through a campsite with a kukri dangling on your hip or a Bowie sheathed. And until I am lost in some jungle with nought but my blade it's just a hobby. Mind...its fun playing with throwing knives...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 10430
Sards wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


That's the thing really...you never get to give them a proper test.

Oh I have taken different blades along camping but you tend to hide them away in case the kids find it. Also it looks a bit wierd if you are walking through a campsite with a kukri dangling on your hip or a Bowie sheathed. And until I am lost in some jungle with nought but my blade it's just a hobby. Mind...its fun playing with throwing knives...


Saffers and Yanks really are depressingly similar. Religious nutters and weapon fetishists. I wonder if there is some link?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25772
Location: Chickenrunning...
A5D5E5 wrote:
Sards wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


That's the thing really...you never get to give them a proper test.

Oh I have taken different blades along camping but you tend to hide them away in case the kids find it. Also it looks a bit wierd if you are walking through a campsite with a kukri dangling on your hip or a Bowie sheathed. And until I am lost in some jungle with nought but my blade it's just a hobby. Mind...its fun playing with throwing knives...


Saffers and Yanks really are depressingly similar. Religious nutters and weapon fetishists. I wonder if there is some link?


East Coast and interior of both for sure. West Coasts far more evolved. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20619
Sandstorm wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Sards wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


That's the thing really...you never get to give them a proper test.

Oh I have taken different blades along camping but you tend to hide them away in case the kids find it. Also it looks a bit wierd if you are walking through a campsite with a kukri dangling on your hip or a Bowie sheathed. And until I am lost in some jungle with nought but my blade it's just a hobby. Mind...its fun playing with throwing knives...


Saffers and Yanks really are depressingly similar. Religious nutters and weapon fetishists. I wonder if there is some link?


East Coast and interior of both for sure. West Coasts far more evolved. :thumbup:


When will they evolve sufficiently to use apostrophes where appropriate. 😉


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 916
Location: In the Diff
Image

Cannondale CAADX 105 SE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17655
A5D5E5 wrote:
Sards wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ukjim wrote:
this thread has got a bit serial killery all of a sudden.


I like to look on the bright side.

If they're posting on here they're not out there slashing away maniacally.


That's the thing really...you never get to give them a proper test.

Oh I have taken different blades along camping but you tend to hide them away in case the kids find it. Also it looks a bit wierd if you are walking through a campsite with a kukri dangling on your hip or a Bowie sheathed. And until I am lost in some jungle with nought but my blade it's just a hobby. Mind...its fun playing with throwing knives...


Saffers and Yanks really are depressingly similar. Religious nutters and weapon fetishists. I wonder if there is some link?


Well they both have cops that shoot blacks not blanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25772
Location: Chickenrunning...
A5D5E5 wrote:

Saffers and Yanks really are depressingly similar. Religious nutters and weapon fetishists. I wonder if there is some link?


Both former British colonies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5174
pjm1 wrote:
Edin, yes you’re right - I’ve spent a bit of time working through the tyre reviews and got them around my neck a bit. It was Duratec (aka Wrangler) which I was struggling to find in 255/55 R20. But I found the General Grabber in AT, AT2 and AT3 for a decent price. Was leaning towards the 3...

If you went with the Grabbers, have a chat to your local LR specialist.

My Disco was in for a service. It now has two new rear wheels and Goodyears. Both back rims had split, which they said they had only ever seen with Grabbers. I mentioned this to LR loving pal of mine (the type of person who thinks nothing of replacing the chassis at home). Apparently it is a known issue that certain Grabbers wreck certain rims.

Mine were AT 3s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 470
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4899
Location: Te Ika a Maui
xbgo1 wrote:
Image

A visit to the mall planned? And is that an FN Five Seven?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16583
Image

Image

I hadn't actually planned for my boots & bindings to be the same colour. Probably wouldn't have picked neon green I'd had the choice, but hey ho.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5996
backrow wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Delivered today 8x8



Nice shed - Ketter? Or Palmyra ?
Can’t be a good non-wooden shed imho (I find the wooden ones just don’t last and are little different in price)


Keter, I looked at Palram but because I didn't have much room for manoeuvre it had to be Keter. Plus Palram's 8x8 was about 20cm each way smaller. Pretty straight forward to build though time consuming. I do think they're expensive for what they are. Cost me £650. Metal are a lot cheaper but have condensation issues and because this is in a corner and I'm up North and lazy wood didn't work for me either. Biggest ache was building the base on the hottest days this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 4527
Poshprop wrote:
Image

Cannondale CAADX 105 SE

:thumbup:

Nice!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 470
usermame wrote:
xbgo1 wrote:
Image

A visit to the mall planned? And is that an FN Five Seven?


Yes the 5.7, if i was going to the mall would have to take the P90 as well :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 4527
Image

Gradually turning my sleek carbon race bike into a winter commuter :(

Need a powerful front light and pair of MTB winter boots to complete.

These guys were fitted and adjusted in 10 mins though, and easily clip off with no bits left on the bike :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 45jumper, bimboman, CarrotGawks, diarm, feckwanker, flaggETERNAL, Flockwitt, Google Adsense [Bot], HighKingLeinster, holbob, iRich, Ivor, JB1981, johnstrac, kingswood, Mad-Scientist, Mog The Almighty, mr flaps, New guy, Nolanator, Plato'sCave, Property, Raggs, Raison D'etre, RandomNavigat0r, Rinkals, RodneyRegis, rugga., Saint, SaintK, Seez, tabascoboy and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group