Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:08 pm 

Not strictly a purchase, but the wife has bought me a set of these for my birthday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm 

Keith wrote:
Not strictly a purchase, but the wife has bought me a set of these for my birthday

One rather hopes she puts it to good use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:11 pm 

Sexist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
Keith wrote:

One rather hopes she puts it to good use.

Good post Rinkals.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:19 pm 

And these

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 pm 

Keith wrote:
And these

Hmmm.

Do they taste of almonds?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 pm 

One of these:

With one of these plugged into it (a special edition Rega Planar 1 Plus, which was cheaper than the non-special issue presumably due to the dodgy graphics):

The Denon is very handy indeed, makes a decent fist of being a two-channel amp and lets you plug in line-in (the turntable has its own pre-amp so don't need phono-in), TV box and Bluray (it's got 2 optical ins) and play CDs as well as streaming music. Excellent all-purpose box as long as you're not fussed about surround sound for the TV. Debating whether to switch spotify out for deezer or tidal, quite interested in lossless streaming but not sure the amp warrants it. Might give it a try. My car also struggles with the spotify app, so might be worth a change.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:24 pm 

I can hear a big difference between Spotify 320KB vs Lossless tracks on my humble Bose radio. I say you should go for Lossless on your Denon! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:28 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
I can hear a big difference between Spotify 320KB vs Lossless tracks on my humble Bose radio. I say you should go for Lossless on your Denon! :thumbup:

Tidal occasionally kick out silly offers (5 months for £5) so will keep an eye out - only concern is that the full subscription is £20 per month, which is double my spotify. Assume it's tidal you're using, or are these CDs/rips of your own? Not sure if deezer do lossless, to be honest I've not really explored options but I definitely think spotify sounds 'flat' even compared to internet radio.

eta: just checked, Deezer Hi-fi (their lossless option) also £20 per month. If the missus can also use it, and it works in the car as a download - I paid extra for a Meridian sound system as I'm an idiot - I may give it a go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:07 pm 

inactionman wrote:
One of these:

With one of these plugged into it (a special edition Rega Planar 1 Plus, which was cheaper than the non-special issue presumably due to the dodgy graphics):

The Denon is very handy indeed, makes a decent fist of being a two-channel amp and lets you plug in line-in (the turntable has its own pre-amp so don't need phono-in), TV box and Bluray (it's got 2 optical ins) and play CDs as well as streaming music. Excellent all-purpose box as long as you're not fussed about surround sound for the TV. Debating whether to switch spotify out for deezer or tidal, quite interested in lossless streaming but not sure the amp warrants it. Might give it a try. My car also struggles with the spotify app, so might be worth a change.

I got the Denon last year too .... but went for a Rega Planner 2 (my 35 year old 3 was really dead). Very small room (home office) so was not going to splash out too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:50 pm 

inactionman wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Tidal occasionally kick out silly offers (5 months for £5) so will keep an eye out - only concern is that the full subscription is £20 per month, which is double my spotify. Assume it's tidal you're using, or are these CDs/rips of your own? Not sure if deezer do lossless, to be honest I've not really explored options but I definitely think spotify sounds 'flat' even compared to internet radio.

eta: just checked, Deezer Hi-fi (their lossless option) also £20 per month. If the missus can also use it, and it works in the car as a download - I paid extra for a Meridian sound system as I'm an idiot - I may give it a go.

Is that in a Land/Range Rover. We did the same - I justify it on the basis that I probably listen to music more in the car, than anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 pm 

Salted liquorice and chocolate. I never knew I needed this in my life until today.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 am 

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:23 am 

Shindaiwa. Genuine Japanese made in Japan.

Very light. 2 year commercial, 5 year domestic warranty. Intake on the right so it can be used right handed without sucking in one's clothing. Leaves Makita for dead...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:

MM - is this worth reading or is it just restating what's already been reported in the daily news cycle?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:30 am 

Spyglass wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

MM - is this worth reading or is it just restating what's already been reported in the daily news cycle?

Well the daily news cycle has reported snippets from the book that had not been previously reported in the daily news cycle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm 

VBall wrote:
I got the Denon last year too .... but went for a Rega Planner 2 (my 35 year old 3 was really dead). Very small room (home office) so was not going to splash out too much.

You can easily rebuild Regas (upgrade too) with a modest budget.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/rega- ... ories.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:23 am 

I was just about to order some of these for our new extension and the Kitchen.

I need 6 coloured ones and 10 ambient white ones - But I've got cold feet when I got to the checkout and the bill was about £400 including the bridge. No doubt Mrs Oval will persuade me tomorrow - But, Jeez £400 quid for lightbulbs in two rooms :shock:

Has anyone else gone down the 'SMART' route for lighting etc. We've made a start with couple of lamps and a TV hub - I do like my gadgets but it really doesn't feel like good value.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:49 am 

Hate GA10 bulbs, refused to have them installed. An alternative to buying smart bulbs are smart wall switches that will speak to whatever bulbs you install. Works like a hardwired smart plug and they cost less than £20

kitchen
I have a led strip plugged into usb port (I upgraded sockets so they included USB ports),it has a motion sensor so everytime I go in the kitchen it turns on. Not smart but handy.
Meross bulbs for lighting, can contol via alexa and google
Smart strip light for under wall cabinets
I also have an echo button, so if I'm too lazy to speak to the GA10 google assistant speaker in the kitchen I can press the button and it turns on the main and strip light.

Hallway has hue bulb with motion sensor.

Bedroom - Hue bulb in floor lamp in bedroom, say "bedroom" to alexa and she turns it on for 25mins. Really lazy, saves me walking across the room to turn on my bedside lamp and then all the way back to turn off main light. :blush:

Living room - 3 lamps in the living room are turned on via smart plugs, hell of a lot cheaper than bulbs. Ceiling light has 2 hue bulbs and I have a hue smart switch for them.

2 GA10 speakers - google
2 echo speakers, amazon and Harman Kardon.

Smart plugs and strips all over the place. Say Alexa goodnight and everything turns off. Say alexa turn on Sony and she turns on everything needed to watch tv. etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:14 am 

ovalball wrote:

I need 6 coloured ones and 10 ambient white ones - But I've got cold feet when I got to the checkout and the bill was about £400 including the bridge. No doubt Mrs Oval will persuade me tomorrow - But, Jeez £400 quid for lightbulbs in two rooms :shock:

Has anyone else gone down the 'SMART' route for lighting etc. We've made a start with couple of lamps and a TV hub - I do like my gadgets but it really doesn't feel like good value.

I got one of these for a round lamp in our new lounge. Aussie company and preferable to Philips, IMHO, as no hub is needed. The bulb is wifi capable.

https://www.lifx.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 am 

mr bungle wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I got one of these for a round lamp in our new lounge. Aussie company and preferable to Philips, IMHO, as no hub is needed. The bulb is wifi capable.

https://www.lifx.com/

These are as well - but wifi bulbs have limitations - and I'd have too many to work without a hub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:11 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:14 pm 

won't lie, not the first time I've seen Prizm on my laptop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:23 pm 

ovalball wrote:

I went with LIFX bulbs for the new Extension and kitchen, just over 14 months ago now.

Bought 13x LIFX 100MM Downlights and 2m LED strips - £ 710.87. (I already had a few of their other bulbs).

They're all still going strong, very happy with them (no base station required).

I added Logitech Pop to manage the off/on for another ~£120

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:45 pm 

Keith wrote:

Congratulations, that's a nice knife.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:46 pm 

backrow wrote:
won't lie, not the first time I've seen Prizm on my laptop

You need to start looking at the Globus crossword thread more often to learn how to spell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:38 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I went with LIFX bulbs for the new Extension and kitchen, just over 14 months ago now.

Bought 13x LIFX 100MM Downlights and 2m LED strips - £ 710.87. (I already had a few of their other bulbs).

They're all still going strong, very happy with them (no base station required).

I added Logitech Pop to manage the off/on for another ~£120

I decided to cut back on the coloured ones and the white ambience - so 12 white, 2 white ambiance, 2 colour and the bridege - got the bill down to about £300.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:47 pm 

julian wrote:
Keith wrote:

Congratulations, that's a nice knife.

:thumbup: They've definitely been a massive upgrade over my old cheapo ones

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158