Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 am 

Might as well start this now, with the NH season kicking off.

Caught the first half of London Irish vs Sale Sharks on the weekend.

Sale Sharks had all 3 du Preez brothers playing, as well as Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Akker van der Merwe and Coenie Oosthuizen.

Irish had Ruan Botha playing for them.

The du Preez brothers, Rohan and Akker played great games. Also a try from Ruan Botha.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:00 am 

assfly wrote:

Sale Sharks had all 3 du Preez brothers playing, as well as Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Akker van der Merwe and Coenie Oosthuizen.

The du Preez brothers, Rohan and Akker played great games. Also a try from Ruan Botha.

Even the one playing at 10? :shock:

What has changed since earlier this year?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:08 am 

Chilli wrote:

Indeed. Scored a great try and landed his kicks.

Look what Sale did to Faf. Wouldn't be surprised if all three brothers are back in the Bok picture in the next couple of years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:26 am 

assfly wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Look what Sale did to Faf. Wouldn't be surprised if all three brothers are back in the Bok picture in the next couple of years.

they all left ( Akker included ) because they had no chance with the current bok set up...Nothing will change in the near future with Rassie holding the puppet master strings over the next coach.....

Let them enjoy , play well and make lots of money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:47 am 

This is just another example of our head in the sand mentality. We steadfastly belief we have the best players (junior and senior), set up and coaches. Then average players leave and get significantly better in a few months.

Let's hope that after the RWC Rassie has time to address this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm 

Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:
Chilli wrote:

they all left ( Akker included ) because they had no chance with the current bok set up...Nothing will change in the near future with Rassie holding the puppet master strings over the next coach.....

Let them enjoy , play well and make lots of money.

They had no chance because they aren't at a good enough level. The only one that is even debatable is JLdP. Like Handy says, if they improve significantly in England, the door still stands open.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:10 pm 

assfly wrote:

Also Papier on the bench? Jono Ross, captain of course...though he's English qualified I think. And Faf and Lood when they return.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:30 am 

handyman wrote:
This is just another example of our head in the sand mentality. We steadfastly belief we have the best players (junior and senior), set up and coaches. Then average players leave and get significantly better in a few months.

Let's hope that after the RWC Rassie has time to address this.

You know 8Eye, I really believe that SA produces so much rugby talent. We are almost born to play this game. The problem is our admin structures and the belief in ultra conservative coaches.
Have a look on youtube for Rising Son, the Poms journey to the RWC.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:54 am 

Lemoentjie wrote:
They had no chance because they aren't at a good enough level. The only one that is even debatable is JLdP. Like Handy says, if they improve significantly in England, the door still stands open.

I don't think it's that simple. Of the dozens of Saffas we'll see playing abroad this season, many are good enough for the Springboks. Are they right for the current Springbok gameplan and coach? Perhaps not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:01 am 

assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. Of the dozens of Saffas we'll see playing abroad this season, many are good enough for the Springboks. Are they right for the current Springbok gameplan and coach? Perhaps not.

its actually a blessing that they are not exposed to this aimless boxkicking and stampkar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:05 am 

Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

its actually a blessing that they are not exposed to this aimless boxkicking and stampkar

Yes and the chance to win a RWC trophy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:09 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

Yes and the chance to win a RWC trophy

Dont you ever think that these boys are going to take awhile to adjust back to playing their normal brand of rugby after being so conditioned. I thought about it awhile ago..
How is Faf going to change his habit of kicking everything. Nkosi, Mapimpi etc....are they going to be chasing every time the scrumhalf gets the ball instead of preparing for a pass / backline move....

oh those boys are young enough still

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 am 

Watched the highlights of Gloucester vs Wasps last night.

Ruan Ackermann set up a fantastic try for Gloucester, with Franco Marais playing 2.

Wasps had Carr and JdJ playing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 am 

assfly wrote:
Watched the highlights of Gloucester vs Wasps last night.

Ruan Ackermann set up a fantastic try for Gloucester, with Franco Marais playing 2.

Wasps had Carr and JdJ playing.

Some excellent tries by Glaws in crappy conditions

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am 

Jensrsa wrote:

Yes. The try for the charge down made me chuckle. Dives from 8 meters out and just skids in :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 am 

assfly wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Yes. The try for the charge down made me chuckle. Dives from 8 meters out and just skids in :lol:

Using the conditions well :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:28 am 

Shithole's gonna shithole?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

That's no way to speak about Gloucester.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am 

assfly wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

:thumbup: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am 

assfly wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

AC got a bit of extra time on his hands these days.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:50 am 

There’s about 23 playing in Tokyo this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am 

assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

Who are better than the current incumbent Springbok? Serfontein is the only really immediate one that jumps out to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:14 am 

Lemoentjie wrote:
Who are better than the current incumbent Springbok? Serfontein is the only really immediate one that jumps out to me.

I'm not saying they're better, per se, just different.

For example, JLdP would walk into any international side. But is his style of play what the Boks need right now, probably not. The way PSdT plays 7 is more in line with what Rassie wants to play. i.e. a lot faster even we lose a bit of grunt with ball in hand.

That's where I've got to give Rassie his due. In my personal opinion there are better players he could have picked, but he's molded a side around a style of play that has got us to a world cup final.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:16 am 

Look at it this way. Sarfu isn't paying their wages or their development. If they come good it's a win win.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:51 am 

assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

For example, JLdP would walk into any international side. But is his style of play what the Boks need right now, probably not. The way PSdT plays 7 is more in line with what Rassie wants to play. i.e. a lot faster even we lose a bit of grunt with ball in hand.

That's where I've got to give Rassie his due. In my personal opinion there are better players he could have picked, but he's molded a side around a style of play that has got us to a world cup final.

Would he though? He'd walk in to the ABs? England? Not that I disagree that he should have been given more of a chance. He's young, the door is open. I hope that Rassie stays in contact with the lads over in Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am 

Lemoentjie wrote:
assfly wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:

Would he though? He'd walk in to the ABs? England? Not that I disagree that he should have been given more of a chance. He's young, the door is open. I hope that Rassie stays in contact with the lads over in Europe.

Would he walk into the England side right now?

What a pathetic whinge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:02 am 

Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Ummm, they left because of you cockroach supporters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:09 am 

Pierre Schoeman, Jaco van der Walt and Duhan van der Merwe all played for Edinburgh last weekend. All three may appear for Scotland in the next few years (all moved here at a time when the 3 year eligibility rule was in place).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:42 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
Pierre Schoeman, Jaco van der Walt and Duhan van der Merwe all played for Edinburgh last weekend. All three may appear for Scotland in the next few years (all moved here at a time when the 3 year eligibility rule was in place).

How is Pierre and Duhan playing? Both were hell of a lot talented as schoolboys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:45 am 

OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:
assfly wrote:
Chilli wrote:

Ummm, they left because of you cockroach supporters.

Uhmmmm....they left for money dude....lots and lots of it...us Sharks supporters are disappointed but understand. Theres no point flogging a dead horse...especially when some teams are being forced to sell their stadiums to finance their operations because the team is so underwhelming that they never get the opportunity to make playoffs for the extra cash....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:58 am 

Sards wrote:
Uhmmmm....they left for money dude....lots and lots of it...us Sharks supporters are disappointed but understand. Theres no point flogging a dead horse...especially when some teams are being forced to sell their stadiums to finance their operations because the team is so underwhelming that they never get the opportunity to make playoffs for the extra cash....

Its you Sharks supporters and media that chased the du Preez Clan away.
Quote:
“Cockroach selects Cockroach Junior – again!”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:

Its you Sharks supporters and media that chased the du Preez Clan away.
Quote:
“Cockroach selects Cockroach Junior – again!”

I am quite surprised you have so much time to follow the Sharks....but we are fine thank you. I am pleased for the twins that they got away from the toxic environment that is South Africa. And I am very happy with our new coach and all the new guys we made with the money we made from the sale. At least we don't have to sell Kings park to pay our staff wages...

That's the big difference between us and you. You really have idiots running your shit show. You cant make money and keep or buy decent players like that....I still don't know where you thought you would find the money to buy Bosch

You know ouboet...before going around pointing a finger at other unions remember there are 4 fingers pointing back at you and you are arguing from a very weak position.

Right now you sound like the bitter old man who gives his undying loyalty to a union that voks him over year in and year out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:37 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

How is Pierre and Duhan playing? Both were hell of a lot talented as schoolboys.

Biffo forgot Mike Willemse who started as well.

Like the pride of Loeriesfontein before him, Schoeman had a bit of a problem adjusting the the Pro14 refs. Now he has done that he is busily destroying front rows. He is a massive fan favourite for his general attitude and his charges ball in hand. Edinburgh have the reputation for having the quietest fans in rugby (hence the ground being nick named 'The Library'), but when he gets the ball the cry of 'Schoooooooooe' goes up. Stone cold Scotland interational as soon as he is eligible. Just needs to cut out the silly 'I'll show how macho I am' penalties.

Duhan is another big fan favourite. He has been called the most destructive runner in the Pro14, which I think is pushing it. But if he is not brought down early he is hard to stop and seems to relish bumping off tacklers. He'll be capped asap to tie him, but he needs to learn that occasionally passing the ball is a better option than taking contact, and can also drift out of games if the ball does not come to him.

I have only seen Willemse once but am very impressed so far.

Edinburgh's first choice front row will be Schoeman, McInally, Nel. Backed up by Bhatti, Willemse, Berghan.

Van der Walt had a sticky start but has come on. He is no world beater but is a good solid club pro.

Edit
Recent SRU article about Nel.
https://www.scottishrugby.org/fanzone/w ... ot-forward

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:09 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Like the pride of Loeriesfontein before him, Schoeman had a bit of a problem adjusting the the Pro14 refs. Now he has done that he is busily destroying front rows. He is a massive fan favourite for his general attitude and his charges ball in hand. Edinburgh have the reputation for having the quietest fans in rugby (hence the ground being nick named 'The Library'), but when he gets the ball the cry of 'Schoooooooooe' goes up. Stone cold Scotland interational as soon as he is eligible. Just needs to cut out the silly 'I'll show how macho I am' penalties.

Duhan is another big fan favourite. He has been called the most destructive runner in the Pro14, which I think is pushing it. But if he is not brought down early he is hard to stop and seems to relish bumping off tacklers. He'll be capped asap to tie him, but he needs to learn that occasionally passing the ball is a better option than taking contact, and can also drift out of games if the ball does not come to him.

Edinburgh's first choice front row will be Schoeman, McInally, Nel. Backed up by Bhatti, Willemse, Berghan.

Van der Walt had a sticky start but has come on. He is no world beater but is a good solid club pro.

Edit

yeah, forgot about Willemse. looked good so far.

i reckon van der Walt will get capped, because Scotland is so short of options at 10.

Schoeman is very, very good and seems to be prepared to work to get better. Genuinely funny guy as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 pm 

Shite now I remember Jaco van der Walt. :blush: He played with Faf for the Lions. Very good kicker.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:18 pm 

Hope WP Nel make the Lions squad. Is Huw Jones still playing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:26 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Edit

yeah, forgot about Willemse. looked good so far.

i reckon van der Walt will get capped, because Scotland is so short of options at 10.

Schoeman is very, very good and seems to be prepared to work to get better. Genuinely funny guy as well.

Van der Walt at 10 for Scotland is really scraping the barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Hope WP Nel make the Lions squad. Is Huw Jones still playing?

Jones is at Glasgow and appears to have fallen out with Rennie. His form has been variable so it is a bit of chicken and egg as to whether is form is suffering from not playing or he is not playing because of his form.

Last weekend he was on the bench and looked a class above everyone else on the field when he came on.