Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:44 am 

Quote:
Roosters star ​Latrell Mitchell is considering a shock switch to rugby after his advisers sounded out Rugby Australia about the prospect of joining the 15-man game.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inter ... 5Xp37eVN4Y

Would be a great start to rebuilding the Wallabies. Might even secure the Foxtel deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:15 am 

Genuinely, who? Didn't he get dropped during SOO?

Must have improved since then, why can't he lock down a NRL club though - asking too much?

The savior of Australian rugby SHOULD be Jordan Petaia. That kid is Fee-nom-arrrr-nal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:20 am 

naki wrote:
why can't he lock down a NRL club though - asking too much?

He's trying to play them off against each other to boost his price and they are all getting the shits with him.

The Bulldogs offered 11 millions for 10 seasons which they have since taken off the table. There is absolutely nothing between his ears.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:36 am 

J Man wrote:
naki wrote:

He's trying to play them off against each other to boost his price and they are all getting the shits with him.

The Bulldogs offered 11 millions for 10 seasons which they have since taken off the table. There is absolutely nothing between his ears.

Yeah, which means he's probably not a great buy for rugby union. We've had our quota of prima donnas and money-grabbing mungo converts.

Having said that, the guy is a very good football player.

... despite Naki never having heard of him. No, nay, never! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:48 am 

Yeah his manager is playing the game....yet he would be a potentially good fit for the Wallabies if schooled correctly land lost his mungoness.
Could be a good ambassador for indigenous players as Beale fades off the first XV lists.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:49 am 

he recently had some major onfield issue which made news, can't remember what but is LOIG, its never good..usually i assume he put a finger in someone's bum.. as is the loig way..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:02 am 

comets wrote:
he recently had some major onfield issue which made news, can't remember what but is LOIG, its never good..usually i assume he put a finger in someone's bum.. as is the loig way..

Yeah they all do, I dont think RA have the money anyway every cent is going to the anti zealot fund right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:56 am 

naki wrote:
Genuinely, who? Didn't he get dropped during SOO?

Must have improved since then, why can't he lock down a NRL club though - asking too much?

The savior of Australian rugby SHOULD be Jordan Petaia. That kid is Fee-nom-arrrr-nal.

I'm not keen on putting that much pressure on young shoulders but any money saved on not signing him should be used to secured our young talent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:56 am 

kiap wrote:
J Man wrote:
naki wrote:

Yeah, which means he's probably not a great buy for rugby union. We've had our quota of prima donnas and money-grabbing mungo converts.

Having said that, the guy is a very good football player.

... despite Naki never having heard of him. No, nay, never! ;)

I hadn’t. Had to google him, though I had vaguely remembered a story about him during SOO. Who are the household names now that would really shake up the NRL if they were to defect? Tedesco? Cronk, even at 40 or however old he is?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:06 am 

should have tried to get Valentine Holmes once his NFL club dropped him, now thats a talent i can get behind.. wing/fullback, ridiculously fast, good udner high ball, score tries for fun and can kick goals....shame he singed for an NRL club..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:38 am 

naki wrote:
Who are the household names now that would really shake up the NRL if they were to defect? Tedesco? Cronk, even at 40 or however old he is?

David Fafita and Kalyn Ponga are two guys I'd through a blank chequebook at. Ponga is like a ball playing Christian Cullen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:49 am 

You gotta think about publicity and attracting crowds. You put Mitchell at the Reds ir Tahs it's a blockbuster guaranteed sell out first game atleast. Also many stars are gone so we need it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:16 am 

Yeah, nah. The best league concert we’ve had is suing us for $14m. Bogans are shitc*nts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:18 am 

J Man wrote:
naki wrote:
Who are the household names now that would really shake up the NRL if they were to defect? Tedesco? Cronk, even at 40 or however old he is?

David Fafita and Kalyn Ponga are two guys I'd through a blank chequebook at. Ponga is like a ball playing Christian Cullen.

fifita punched a security guard in Indonesia from the bike he was sitting on, union doesn't need more arseholes, one is already giving RA a headache

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:03 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Quote:
Roosters star ​Latrell Mitchell is considering a shock switch to rugby after his advisers sounded out Rugby Australia about the prospect of joining the 15-man game.

Would be a great start to rebuilding the Wallabies. Might even secure the Foxtel deal.

:lol: lol at all these leaguies thinking they can walk into the Wallabies. I can't imagine he would be any better than Timana Tahu at making the switch.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:31 am 

mitchell would walk into the wallabies. no doubt whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:36 am 

Never heard of this mungo...if he's any good, he can join a super rugby and let's see if he actually has a rugby brain and then we can look at having him in Wallabies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:16 pm 

WTF kind of name is Latrell?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:17 pm 

Santa wrote:

:nod:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:21 pm 

Santa wrote:

Ebonic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:24 pm 

kiap wrote:
Santa wrote:

Ebonic

It's a plague.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:27 pm 

Santa wrote:

It sounds a bit adjacent.

Anyways, it's just his manager trying to generate more $ in the bogan code.

If he wanted to play real rugby, he already would be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 pm 

Over the past thirty or so years, with vast migration across the Tasman flowing first in one direction from NZ to Aus, and often over to WA, but coming back again now to NZ, settling also in big numbers in the Sydney to Gold Coast / Brisbane corridor you have now a deep second generation of this NZ often part-Maori talent. Combined with the movement of Pacific Islanders and the mixing that is going on there to a degree too, both codes are going to completely overwhelmed with a wave of backline talent richer than anything seen anywhere. The ARU and NZRU should have a joint plan on how to get and keep this talent, share it out (most of these guys will be duel eligibility) because the real threat is of course 1/ League but 2/ the NH with France and a future British and Irish league. The talent of these guys will be the key feature in any Super Rugby future configuration and Bledisloe contests and the ability of both international teams to retain a competitive edge. The talent conveyer belt is orders of magnitude higher in producing these types of guys than anywhere else. Good natural advantage. Both countries should work together not to cannibalise each other. There are bigger enemies elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:32 pm 

Queensland is probably the hot spot for the emergence of these talents though. That's where the breeding has been going on to create these super athletes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:33 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Quote:
Roosters star ​Latrell Mitchell is considering a shock switch to rugby after his advisers sounded out Rugby Australia about the prospect of joining the 15-man game.

:lol: lol at all these leaguies thinking they can walk into the Wallabies. I can't imagine he would be any better than Timana Tahu at making the switch.

Actually he would walk into the side easy. Would be a great signing tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:34 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Quote:
Roosters star ​Latrell Mitchell is considering a shock switch to rugby after his advisers sounded out Rugby Australia about the prospect of joining the 15-man game.

No he won't. Leaguies with far bigger names have struggle to impress in rugby.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:36 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Quote:

Like who? This guy is star player.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:37 pm 

This guy would be as good as SBW. Could be better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 pm 

Santa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:42 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
This guy would be as good as SBW. Could be better.

Not out of the question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:45 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Most of the mungo converts in the past (the ones who didn't grow up playing rugby)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:47 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Most of the mungo converts in the past (the ones who didn't grow up playing rugby)

I wouldn't say Tuqiri, Rogers and Sailor struggled to impress. Folau obviously didn't. Ryan Cross was decent too (not amazing, but of a similar level to his play in league) though I understand he played junior rugby. TBH, I think the ARU has done ok with league converts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:57 pm 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

I wouldn't say Tuqiri, Rogers and Sailor struggled to impress. Folau obviously didn't. Ryan Cross was decent too (not amazing, but of a similar level to his play in league) though I understand he played junior rugby. TBH, I think the ARU has done ok with league converts.

None of them were great in rugby. Folau I think is probably the best one out of the lot but I wouldn't say he was a great fullback either. His defence and kicking wasn't world class.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:02 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
None of them were great in rugby. Folau I think is probably the best one out of the lot but I wouldn't say he was a great fullback either. His defence and kicking wasn't world class.

There's a lot of middle ground between a great and someone who struggled to impress.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:06 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Quote:

No he wouldn't. And even if he would, the last thing rugby needs right now is mungos behaving like mungos.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:13 pm 

I think a pretty good case could be made that diverting dollars to sign league stars erodes the talent pool of the rugby playing kids coming through and doesn’t convert to wins on the field. If we use the signing of Big Dell as the kick-off point, what silverware have we won since then? How much did Dell, Lote and Rogers cost and how much would it have taken to keep Cooper Cronk in rugby, not to mention the dozens of others who were snapped by by the NRL?

League converts are a busted flush in the grand scheme of things, at least for Oz rugby.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:16 pm 

towny wrote:
I think a pretty good case could be made that diverting dollars to sign league stars erodes the talent pool of the rugby playing kids coming through and doesn’t convert to wins on the field. If we use the signing of Big Dell as the kick-off point, what silverware have we won since then? How much did Dell, Lote and Rogers cost and how much would it have taken to keep Cooper Cronk in rugby, not to mention the dozens of others who were snapped by by the NRL?

League converts are a busted flush in the grand scheme of things, at least for Oz rugby.

Yes they do SFA to help Australian rugby. Throwing money at them is the wrong move, we've learnt this time and again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:17 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Over the past thirty or so years, with vast migration across the Tasman flowing first in one direction from NZ to Aus, and often over to WA, but coming back again now to NZ, settling also in big numbers in the Sydney to Gold Coast / Brisbane corridor you have now a deep second generation of this NZ often part-Maori talent. Combined with the movement of Pacific Islanders and the mixing that is going on there to a degree too, both codes are going to completely overwhelmed with a wave of backline talent richer than anything seen anywhere. The ARU and NZRU should have a joint plan on how to get and keep this talent, share it out (most of these guys will be duel eligibility) because the real threat is of course 1/ League but 2/ the NH with France and a future British and Irish league. The talent of these guys will be the key feature in any Super Rugby future configuration and Bledisloe contests and the ability of both international teams to retain a competitive edge. The talent conveyer belt is orders of magnitude higher in producing these types of guys than anywhere else. Good natural advantage. Both countries should work together not to cannibalise each other. There are bigger enemies elsewhere.

Paragraphs dude

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:20 pm 

towny wrote:

His name is Cooper Cronk ffs, he was always going to league.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:22 pm 

massive_field_goal wrote:
mitchell would walk into the wallabies. no doubt whatsoever.

He cant even walk into the NSW side in the code he has grown up playing. He's very impressive and might be worth a gamble but he definitely would not just walk straight into the Wallabies.