Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Training question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm 

I'm trying to lose a couple of kgs atm and am doing cardio work and weights 4x week.

Does anyone know how the body replenishes the fast energy source it keeps for high intensity work?

I think there's about 1500 cals available which the body uses above about 85% MHR. When this is depleted and assuming I don't consume carbs after my workout (only protein), will the body metabolise fat to build up the 1500 cals?

And if so, is this a viable way to reduce my body fat?

My current strategy which I've used successfully before is to only eat carbs during the day, no in the evenings.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Training question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 pm 

More Cardo work less weight should do the trick, don't forget all fat is stored energy, you are turning your fat unto muscle wheras you need to burn it off running or cercuit training will do it.

Eat when you like but not just before bedtime, try to avoid bread to lose some pounds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm 

Leffe,

I don't pretend to know much about energy pathways, how the body metabolises fat and the like, but I think you're in slight danger of over-analysing things here. All things being equal, if you avoid carbs in the evening and train 4x a week, you should burn fat as long as you're not doing anything silly the rest of the time.

One thing I would say though is that immediately post-workout the general wisdom seems to be that you want to be consuming some form of quick-release carbs and protein - most post workout shakes consist of glucose and whey, along with other stuff like BCAA and creatine etc. It's something to do with replenishing glycogen in the muscles to enable them to recover. Maintaining lean body mass is seen as important for fat loss so it might be an idea to try and have something sugary after your workouts, along with some protein, to avoid any muscle loss.

Apologies for what is probably a rather error-strewn post, nb there is a training thread here called 'The Training Thread' which it may be worth posting your query in, as that is where the bored experts like odave are most likely to see and respond to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 pm 

Womack wrote:
Leffe,

I don't pretend to know much about energy pathways, how the body metabolises fat and the like, but I think you're in slight danger of over-analysing things here. All things being equal, if you avoid carbs in the evening and train 4x a week, you should burn fat as long as you're not doing anything silly the rest of the time.

One thing I would say though is that immediately post-workout the general wisdom seems to be that you want to be consuming some form of quick-release carbs and protein - most post workout shakes consist of glucose and whey, along with other stuff like BCAA and creatine etc. It's something to do with replenishing glycogen in the muscles to enable them to recover. Maintaining lean body mass is seen as important for fat loss so it might be an idea to try and have something sugary after your workouts, along with some protein, to avoid any muscle loss.

Apologies for what is probably a rather error-strewn post, nb there is a training thread here called 'The Training Thread' which it may be worth posting your query in, as that is where the bored experts like odave are most likely to see and respond to it.

Indeed I might be, it was a pub conversation with a buddy I train with ;)

Immediately post workout, I have a whey protein drink with equal quantity of oats, the oats or some form of carb are apparently needed for protein uptake. Another mate put it like this:

"You need an insulin spike for ample protein synthesis, this may come in the form of something simple as a fist full of oats in the protein shake or a potato with his meat source. No insulin spike = waste of protein.".