Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515 ... 531  Next

When will the Beetroot end up in the compost?
A week. If he is lucky 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
A few months at best 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
At least a year 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
He will see out his term 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
He will see his new unborn childs 21st birthday from the duchy of New England 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
What, that filthy sheep shagger? 29%  29%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 31
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm 

kiap wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Another one bites the dust and she is the best looking one out there

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... zqevo.html

NXT's next in line on the ticket has left the party.

This one surprises me as I was under the impression that Citizenship was only conferred via the Father, not the mother.

The lady of the house only qualifies for Right of Abode, not a British Passport as her mother is English.

The article did mention her father was told, ... what would've been two decades ago ... that she wasn't eligible for a British passport.

That is why I am confused. Is it because she was born in Sinkers?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:53 pm 

Quote:
This one surprises me as I was under the impression that Citizenship was only conferred via the Father, not the mother.

The lady of the house only qualifies for Right of Abode, not a British Passport as her mother is English.

Due to the change in the UK Nationality Law which occurred in 1981 and came in to effect in Jan 1 1983 you can obtain citizenship from your mother other than descent. Her mother was born in Singapore when it was a UK colony which means that her mum is a citizen by birth. The Senator was born in 1985 and she was registered as a UK Citizen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 pm 

Is that retrospective?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm 

Her mum obtained her citizenship than as it wasn't through descent and was able to pass it on to her children. When was your missus born?

As a side the whole thing takes a while to get your head around as Australian law has a different ruling in to regards to British subjects in comparison to the UK. Maybe both Governments need to raise more awareness in regards to who is a British Subject. I only found out this year that I am one and a possible citizen after residing in the UK on a temporary visa (working holiday) that also restricted the duration I could obtain employment for.

Quote:
Australia retained the status of British subject until the Australian Citizenship Amendment Act 1984 removed Part II of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948 effective on 1 May 1987. Between 1 January 1983 and 1 May 1987 a British citizen and an Australian citizen were both British subjects under Australian law, but not under United Kingdom law.[6] The term encompassed all citizens of countries listed in the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948. The list was based on, but was not identical with, those countries (and their colonies) that were members of the Commonwealth from time to time. The list was amended from time to time as various former colonies became independent countries, but the list in the Act was not necessarily up-to-date as far as to constitute exactly a list of countries in the Commonwealth at any given time. This definition of British subject meant that, for the purposes of Australian nationality law, citizens of countries that had become republics, such as India, were grouped as British subjects. "British subjects" ceased to be eligible to be issued with Australian passports under Australian nationality law in 1984. The voting rights of persons who were British subjects and were enrolled to vote on 25 January 1984 have been preserved.[7][8] As at June 2009, almost 163,000 voters have a "British subject" notation on the electoral roll.[9]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:48 am 

1969 - she has her full birth certificate. The obstacle is possibly lack of parental contact...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:07 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

At this stage Australia may as well burn it all down and start again as soon there's going to be no one left.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 am 

How long are we giving Turnbull and who will it be?

Bishop?
The Duttron?
Morrison?
Kevin Andrews.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 am 

guy smiley wrote:

Bishop?
The Duttron?
Morrison?
Kevin Andrews.

They have tin-ears enough to go for it despite the electoral suicide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 am 

guy smiley wrote:

Bishop?
The Duttron?
Morrison?
Kevin Andrews.

The way they are going Abbott is the only guy who would take it, I expect they will wait until after the election and pick someone from who is left standing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:18 am 

Quote:
1969 - she has her full birth certificate. The obstacle is possibly lack of parental contact...

I will have to supply my parent's birth and marriage certificate to support my application (they asked if my parents were married when I was born).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 am 

guy smiley wrote:

Bishop?
The Duttron?
Morrison?
Kevin Andrews.

Is none of them an option?

Potentially Bishop as she could be considered more marketable. I guess. Though I don't think she'd get it. Which leave three probably less likeable or competent mongs than Turnbull. But I don't think we'll see a change. I suspect considering the ego of the man that if Turnbull saw the knife coming he'd take us to the polls and ride the landslide out. Retire a fallen leader and leave the Coalition in even more of a clusterfuck than they are now.

Well, that's the dream. He'll likely not see it and we'll get Herr Dutton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:02 am 

Media suggestions are that MPs are doing the numbers on a Bishop / Morrison tilt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:21 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:55 am 

Quote:
Australia risks "incinerating" its relationship with China in a bid to impress an unpredictable United States, former foreign minister Bob Carr says.

He warned the federal government to discuss concerns with China behind closed doors.

"I don't know why we feel we have to impress Washington by almost incinerating our relationship with China," Mr Carr said in Melbourne on Wednesday.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop recently released a white paper that was described as "positive" on Australia's relations with China.

But the Chinese government, through its foreign ministry spokesman, criticised the white paper's remarks about China's actions in the South China Sea as "irresponsible".

Mr Carr said discussions about China's activities in the South China Sea should be discussed behind closed doors, along with the challenges presented by US President Donald Trump's unorthodox approach to international politics.

"The next President could be Bernie Sanders, a left-wing isolationist. America is not going back to normal," Mr Carr said.

Ms Bishop last week said Chinese officials were "upbeat and positive" about the two countries' relationship.

"The feedback that I have had from senior Chinese officials is that they respect the stand we've taken in the white paper," she said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Media suggestions are that MPs are doing the numbers on a Bishop / Morrison tilt.

If they change to Bishop their best hope is to call an election while her popularity is as high as it will get. She is hopeless at anything other than Foreign Affairs as she has no judgement or personality. Remember her time as anything and it smells of mediocrity and failure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 am 

Sam Dastyari..... what a pillock.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Yep.

Turnbull also announces a Banking Royal Commission, now there is a surprise. Will depend on the terms of reference but could ge interesting. The libs sicking a RC onto the unions looks a lot like the last time they tried it in the 70s. They actually end up getting the wrong people ie their own supporters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:55 am 

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Yep.

Turnbull also announces a Banking Royal Commission, now there is a surprise. Will depend on the terms of reference but could ge interesting. The libs sicking a RC onto the unions looks a lot like the last time they tried it in the 70s. They actually end up getting the wrong people ie their own supporters.

Dastyari could destroy all the good work the coalition have done for the ALP. A decent RC into banks could eventually destroy the coalition.

Interesting times.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Should be booted from the Labor party ASAP. Plum is a traitor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am 

I found a decent article about media narratives...

https://independentaustralia.net/politi ... tive,10980

Worth a read :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:59 am 

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Yep.

And now we have the arguments over the terms of reference

I expect whatever is put up, it will positioned by the opposition as not broad reaching enough etc etc

Dastyari? meh, if he was a Lib, Labor would be hunting for his head right about now - and he has resigned, good call from Shorten

Last edited by _fatprop on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 am 

Man, Turnbull has lost all semblance of control over the narrative of this parliament.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am 

Shrekles wrote:
Man, Turnbull has lost all semblance of control over the narrative of this parliament.

Yup. All those cartoons of the tin can top hat hapless bemused duffer weren't supposed to be a template, did no one tell him?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 am 

Dastyari's a moron. It's the sort of dumb, naked, corruption that isn't massively damaging in the present but ruins workplaces and institutions over time. He's been caught once, and back at it again. Shorten did the right thing by telling him to resign, and I hope he has the decency to vacate his seat sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 am 

Excellent. The banks and the government were backed into it since it became inevitable anyway. :thumbup:

guy smiley wrote:
Dastyari could destroy all the good work the coalition have done for the ALP. A decent RC into banks could eventually destroy the coalition.

Doubt it, on both counts.

Dastyari will be a relatively short-term bad news blip. Many Nationals needed/wanted an inquiry and have got one (terms yet unknown). There's not a big future for them in becoming a cross-bench, non-metropolitan version of the Greens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:42 am 

The challenge for Labor is that another of their policies has been taken off their list, their offer at the next election isn't as compelling if all their policies are already in place

But they should should steam roll the next election, the Libs are a rabble, we don't vote for rabbles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 am 

Dastardly is an idiot, how could he not know he would be under scrutiny...(I'm a little unclear on the timeline...was the recording made before his last demotion?)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 am 

I see the UnAustralian has given award-winning NYT journalist Milos Yeahnopeolous top spot on their op-ed page today...Leyjonholm must be wetting himself anticipating the leftist protests outside parliament...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:43 am 

_fatprop wrote:
The challenge for Labor is that another of their policies has been taken off their list, their offer at the next election isn't as compelling if all their policies are already in place

But they should should steam roll the next election, the Libs are a rabble, we don't vote for rabbles

Whilst your first sentence is correct, your second sentence is also correct and IMO that overrides the first. I cannot see the Coalition winning the next Federal election under Malcolm unless there is a massive game changing event, like a Shorten sex scandal or a major terror attack or war.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:47 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
I see the UnAustralian has given award-winning NYT journalist Milos Yeahnopeolous top spot on their op-ed page today...Leyjonholm must be wetting himself anticipating the leftist protests outside parliament...

He has been trolling all the usual suspect for publicity for weeks (Gillard,Waleed Aly, Sarah Hanson-Young etc etc), he just ain't the same without his Breitbart script writers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:57 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Whilst your first sentence is correct, your second sentence is also correct and IMO that overrides the first. I cannot see the Coalition winning the next Federal election under Malcolm unless there is a massive game changing event, like a Shorten sex scandal or a major terror attack or war.

Agreed

The biggest concern for Labor is why they aren't many more points ahead in the polls, the Libs don't deserve to be as close as they are but Labor needs a bigger buffer

Shorten keeping his head down while the Libs commit suicide in one thing is one thing, but he still isn't the preferred PM. FFS

He needs to demonstrate he is a viable option to the centre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:38 am 

_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:

Agreed

The biggest concern for Labor is why they aren't many more points ahead in the polls, the Libs don't deserve to be as close as they are but Labor needs a bigger buffer

Shorten keeping his head down while the Libs commit suicide in one thing is one thing, but he still isn't the preferred PM. FFS

He needs to demonstrate he is a viable option to the centre

Last night Paul Murray was showing a Reachtell poll that had the Coalition's primary support at just 33% (down from 41% at the last election). It won'tr get any less than that, that's the die-hards who will never shift their vote no matter how bad the govt is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Last night Paul Murray was showing a Reachtell poll that had the Coalition's primary support at just 33% (down from 41% at the last election). It won'tr get any less than that, that's the die-hards who will never shift their vote no matter how bad the govt is.

He must be livid and lashing out at anything in reach to hate on :lol:

The ALP won't get all those votes drifting from the coalition, a lot of those swing voters will look for a protest vote option.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 am 

Uh oh...

Labor's Feeney now caught up in the citizenship debacle.

A potential by-election could give his seat of Batman over to the Greens, who just took Northcote in the recent local Victorian by-election.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... zyqhh.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 am 

Sam Dastyari gooooooooooooooooone...

Resigns from the Senate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:52 am 

He had to. He has not been the cleverest of pollies of late.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 am 

I'm a fan of Sam Dastyari and I think he will be a huge loss to the Australian parliament. He's a very smart, articulate man who has was never afraid to take on big opponents such as the banks, miners etc. He has been the victim of a terrible witch-hunt by a government and right-wing sections of the media that have been utterly desperate to score points against the ALP. Sam hasn't been accused of breaking any law, and now he's lost his job.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I'm a fan of Sam Dastyari and I think he will be a huge loss to the Australian parliament. He's a very smart, articulate man who has was never afraid to take on big opponents such as the banks, miners etc. He has been the victim of a terrible witch-hunt by a government and right-wing sections of the media that have been utterly desperate to score points against the ALP. Sam hasn't been accused of breaking any law, and now he's lost his job.

So if the stuff was done by a Lib, you would think it was all OK?
Quote:
HIS CHINESE LINKS
* August 2013: Sam Dastyari elected to the Senate to replace Matt Thistlethwaite who quit to run for a lower house seat.
* 2015: ASIO cautions Labor and the Liberals against taking donations from two businessmen — Huang Xiangmo and Dr Chau Chak Wing — suspected of being conduits to the Chinese Communist Party.
* June 2016: Dastyari defends China’s actions in the South China Sea during a press conference to Chinese journalists, attended by Huang. “The Chinese integrity of its borders is a matter for China,” he said, contradicting Labor policy outlined by its then defence spokesman just days earlier. Details of the press conference were revealed in September 2016, at which time Dastyari said he had only “incorrectly” mumbled an answer to a question he should not have taken.
* August 31, 2016: Government documents reveal the Top Education Institute — a Chinese higher education provider — paid Dastyari’s $1670.82 excess travel bill. Dastyari admits in parliament he should have paid the bill himself.
* September 5, 2016: New details emerge that Dastyari failed to declare two bottles of wine worth $700 given by big Chinese donors.
* September 6, 2016: Shorten tells off his “junior senator” but will not sack him. Dastyari bumbles through a 26-minute press conference where he admits he was wrong to have a Chinese donor pay outstanding bills. He remains defiant that he did not provide political favours in return for the payments.
* September 7, 2016: Quits Labor shadow ministry and role as manager of opposition business in the Senate.
* October 2016: Met with Huang at the businessman’s Sydney mansion and reportedly told him they should leave their phones inside while they spoke outside, as a counter-surveillance measure, and warned him his phone may be tapped.
* February 2017: Appointed deputy opposition whip in the Senate. * June 2017: ABC’s Four Corners reports Dastyari lobbied for Huang to secure Australian citizenship. He says such efforts were part of his job and his office had dealt with hundreds of citizenship matters since he was elected.
* November 28, 2017: Fairfax reports on the October 2016 meeting with Huang. Full audio of the June 2016 press conference emerges, contradicting the senator’s September 2016 explanation.
* November 29, 2017: Bill Shorten tells Dastyari he must resign senior parliamentary positions, including as deputy opposition whip in the Senate. Dastyari says he is “shocked” the audio does not match his recollection of what he said at the press conference.
* December 11, 2017: New reports Dastyari attempted to persuade deputy party leader Tanya Plibersek in early 2015 not to meet an activist who had upset the Chinese Government.
* December 12, 2017: Dastyari announces he will quit the Senate, “guided by my Labor values” and to prevent further damage to the party.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 am 

_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

So if the stuff was done by a Lib, you would think it was all OK?
Quote:
HIS CHINESE LINKS
* August 2013: Sam Dastyari elected to the Senate to replace Matt Thistlethwaite who quit to run for a lower house seat.
* 2015: ASIO cautions Labor and the Liberals against taking donations from two businessmen — Huang Xiangmo and Dr Chau Chak Wing — suspected of being conduits to the Chinese Communist Party.
* June 2016: Dastyari defends China’s actions in the South China Sea during a press conference to Chinese journalists, attended by Huang. “The Chinese integrity of its borders is a matter for China,” he said, contradicting Labor policy outlined by its then defence spokesman just days earlier. Details of the press conference were revealed in September 2016, at which time Dastyari said he had only “incorrectly” mumbled an answer to a question he should not have taken.
* August 31, 2016: Government documents reveal the Top Education Institute — a Chinese higher education provider — paid Dastyari’s $1670.82 excess travel bill. Dastyari admits in parliament he should have paid the bill himself.
* September 5, 2016: New details emerge that Dastyari failed to declare two bottles of wine worth $700 given by big Chinese donors.
* September 6, 2016: Shorten tells off his “junior senator” but will not sack him. Dastyari bumbles through a 26-minute press conference where he admits he was wrong to have a Chinese donor pay outstanding bills. He remains defiant that he did not provide political favours in return for the payments.
* September 7, 2016: Quits Labor shadow ministry and role as manager of opposition business in the Senate.
* October 2016: Met with Huang at the businessman’s Sydney mansion and reportedly told him they should leave their phones inside while they spoke outside, as a counter-surveillance measure, and warned him his phone may be tapped.
* February 2017: Appointed deputy opposition whip in the Senate. * June 2017: ABC’s Four Corners reports Dastyari lobbied for Huang to secure Australian citizenship. He says such efforts were part of his job and his office had dealt with hundreds of citizenship matters since he was elected.
* November 28, 2017: Fairfax reports on the October 2016 meeting with Huang. Full audio of the June 2016 press conference emerges, contradicting the senator’s September 2016 explanation.
* November 29, 2017: Bill Shorten tells Dastyari he must resign senior parliamentary positions, including as deputy opposition whip in the Senate. Dastyari says he is “shocked” the audio does not match his recollection of what he said at the press conference.
* December 11, 2017: New reports Dastyari attempted to persuade deputy party leader Tanya Plibersek in early 2015 not to meet an activist who had upset the Chinese Government.
* December 12, 2017: Dastyari announces he will quit the Senate, “guided by my Labor values” and to prevent further damage to the party.

I'm still not sure what Sam Dastyari has done wrong fatprop?

Since when has meeting with foreigners or accepting political donations been wrong? All the major parties receive political donations, that how the system works.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 am 

Quote:
ASIO director-general Duncan Lewis secretly briefed the top administrative officials from the three major parties in 2015 and referred to two men – billionaire property developers Huang Xiangmo and Chau Chak Wing – who, along with their associates, have made about $6.7 million in political donations.

But the Coalition and Labor continued to accept money: the Coalition has since received $897,960 and Labor has taken $200,000.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/investig ... wjc8t.html

Last edited by Taranaki Snapper on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 509, 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515 ... 531  Next