Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516 ... 556  Next

When will the Beetroot end up in the compost?
A week. If he is lucky 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
A few months at best 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
At least a year 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
He will see out his term 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
He will see his new unborn childs 21st birthday from the duchy of New England 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
What, that filthy sheep shagger? 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 37
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39460
Location: in transit
I like Sam Dastaryi. I want to... he's articulate, witty and funny.

He's also a f**king idiot and the ALP need to ditch him. He's a dead weight and he'll sink them otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
I'm a fan of Sam Dastyari and I think he will be a huge loss to the Australian parliament. He's a very smart, articulate man who has was never afraid to take on big opponents such as the banks, miners etc. He has been the victim of a terrible witch-hunt by a government and right-wing sections of the media that have been utterly desperate to score points against the ALP. Sam hasn't been accused of breaking any law, and now he's lost his job.


So if the stuff was done by a Lib, you would think it was all OK?
Quote:
HIS CHINESE LINKS
* August 2013: Sam Dastyari elected to the Senate to replace Matt Thistlethwaite who quit to run for a lower house seat.
* 2015: ASIO cautions Labor and the Liberals against taking donations from two businessmen — Huang Xiangmo and Dr Chau Chak Wing — suspected of being conduits to the Chinese Communist Party.
* June 2016: Dastyari defends China’s actions in the South China Sea during a press conference to Chinese journalists, attended by Huang. “The Chinese integrity of its borders is a matter for China,” he said, contradicting Labor policy outlined by its then defence spokesman just days earlier. Details of the press conference were revealed in September 2016, at which time Dastyari said he had only “incorrectly” mumbled an answer to a question he should not have taken.
* August 31, 2016: Government documents reveal the Top Education Institute — a Chinese higher education provider — paid Dastyari’s $1670.82 excess travel bill. Dastyari admits in parliament he should have paid the bill himself.
* September 5, 2016: New details emerge that Dastyari failed to declare two bottles of wine worth $700 given by big Chinese donors.
* September 6, 2016: Shorten tells off his “junior senator” but will not sack him. Dastyari bumbles through a 26-minute press conference where he admits he was wrong to have a Chinese donor pay outstanding bills. He remains defiant that he did not provide political favours in return for the payments.
* September 7, 2016: Quits Labor shadow ministry and role as manager of opposition business in the Senate.
* October 2016: Met with Huang at the businessman’s Sydney mansion and reportedly told him they should leave their phones inside while they spoke outside, as a counter-surveillance measure, and warned him his phone may be tapped.
* February 2017: Appointed deputy opposition whip in the Senate. * June 2017: ABC’s Four Corners reports Dastyari lobbied for Huang to secure Australian citizenship. He says such efforts were part of his job and his office had dealt with hundreds of citizenship matters since he was elected.
* November 28, 2017: Fairfax reports on the October 2016 meeting with Huang. Full audio of the June 2016 press conference emerges, contradicting the senator’s September 2016 explanation.
* November 29, 2017: Bill Shorten tells Dastyari he must resign senior parliamentary positions, including as deputy opposition whip in the Senate. Dastyari says he is “shocked” the audio does not match his recollection of what he said at the press conference.
* December 11, 2017: New reports Dastyari attempted to persuade deputy party leader Tanya Plibersek in early 2015 not to meet an activist who had upset the Chinese Government.
* December 12, 2017: Dastyari announces he will quit the Senate, “guided by my Labor values” and to prevent further damage to the party.


I'm still not sure what Sam Dastyari has done wrong fatprop?

Since when has meeting with foreigners or accepting political donations been wrong? All the major parties receive political donations, that how the system works.


I think any time a sitting senator warns foreign nationals to leave their phones inside because they maybe under surveillance by the Aus government and then has the meeting outside there are some issues. You don't do that to have a chat about the best yum cha in chinatown


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22589
Location: STRAYA PLUM
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
I'm a fan of Sam Dastyari and I think he will be a huge loss to the Australian parliament. He's a very smart, articulate man who has was never afraid to take on big opponents such as the banks, miners etc. He has been the victim of a terrible witch-hunt by a government and right-wing sections of the media that have been utterly desperate to score points against the ALP. Sam hasn't been accused of breaking any law, and now he's lost his job.


So if the stuff was done by a Lib, you would think it was all OK?
Quote:
HIS CHINESE LINKS
* August 2013: Sam Dastyari elected to the Senate to replace Matt Thistlethwaite who quit to run for a lower house seat.
* 2015: ASIO cautions Labor and the Liberals against taking donations from two businessmen — Huang Xiangmo and Dr Chau Chak Wing — suspected of being conduits to the Chinese Communist Party.
* June 2016: Dastyari defends China’s actions in the South China Sea during a press conference to Chinese journalists, attended by Huang. “The Chinese integrity of its borders is a matter for China,” he said, contradicting Labor policy outlined by its then defence spokesman just days earlier. Details of the press conference were revealed in September 2016, at which time Dastyari said he had only “incorrectly” mumbled an answer to a question he should not have taken.
* August 31, 2016: Government documents reveal the Top Education Institute — a Chinese higher education provider — paid Dastyari’s $1670.82 excess travel bill. Dastyari admits in parliament he should have paid the bill himself.
* September 5, 2016: New details emerge that Dastyari failed to declare two bottles of wine worth $700 given by big Chinese donors.
* September 6, 2016: Shorten tells off his “junior senator” but will not sack him. Dastyari bumbles through a 26-minute press conference where he admits he was wrong to have a Chinese donor pay outstanding bills. He remains defiant that he did not provide political favours in return for the payments.
* September 7, 2016: Quits Labor shadow ministry and role as manager of opposition business in the Senate.
* October 2016: Met with Huang at the businessman’s Sydney mansion and reportedly told him they should leave their phones inside while they spoke outside, as a counter-surveillance measure, and warned him his phone may be tapped.
* February 2017: Appointed deputy opposition whip in the Senate. * June 2017: ABC’s Four Corners reports Dastyari lobbied for Huang to secure Australian citizenship. He says such efforts were part of his job and his office had dealt with hundreds of citizenship matters since he was elected.
* November 28, 2017: Fairfax reports on the October 2016 meeting with Huang. Full audio of the June 2016 press conference emerges, contradicting the senator’s September 2016 explanation.
* November 29, 2017: Bill Shorten tells Dastyari he must resign senior parliamentary positions, including as deputy opposition whip in the Senate. Dastyari says he is “shocked” the audio does not match his recollection of what he said at the press conference.
* December 11, 2017: New reports Dastyari attempted to persuade deputy party leader Tanya Plibersek in early 2015 not to meet an activist who had upset the Chinese Government.
* December 12, 2017: Dastyari announces he will quit the Senate, “guided by my Labor values” and to prevent further damage to the party.


I'm still not sure what Sam Dastyari has done wrong fatprop?

Since when has meeting with foreigners or accepting political donations been wrong? All the major parties receive political donations, that how the system works.


I think any time a sitting senator warns foreign nationals to leave their phones inside because they maybe under surveillance by the Aus government and then has the meeting outside there are some issues. You don't do that to have a chat about the best yum cha in chinatown


He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35138
Location: Queensland
Farva wrote:
He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Yeah I agree that he had to go, as he was damaging the ALP. But it is sad that he has gone. I think he could have been a seriously good minister down the track, or even PM? He is a wonderful success story and a great example to all immigrants in terms of what you can achieve in Australia if you work hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
He is a factional power broker - the only reason he got a Senate Ticket.

Likeable but not a person to get on the wrong side of.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4572
Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:
He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Yeah I agree that he had to go, as he was damaging the ALP. But it is sad that he has gone. I think he could have been a seriously good minister down the track, or even PM? He is a wonderful success story and a great example to all immigrants in terms of what you can achieve in Australia if you work hard.



Unfortunately for him, he's a would-be social climber who let his intoxication with power cloud his judgement. I think that the response of the coalition is moronic, and verging on hysterical, but Dastyari has only himself to blame.

But seriously, who is advising the coalition? They over-egg the pudding every f**king time. This whole thing reminds me of the absurdly over-the-top reaction to the NZ issue earlier this year. And to go on a yellow-peril, red-baiting song and dance in the two weeks before a byelection in an election with significant numbers of Asian immigrants? Absolutely absurd messaging.

Edit: Not to mention the hypocrisy. Do they really think that journos aren't going to start digging into Lib/Nat connections with Chinese donors?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20601
Location: STRAYA CUNT
Redsfan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:
He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Yeah I agree that he had to go, as he was damaging the ALP. But it is sad that he has gone. I think he could have been a seriously good minister down the track, or even PM? He is a wonderful success story and a great example to all immigrants in terms of what you can achieve in Australia if you work hard.

Unfortunately for him, he's a would-be social climber who let his intoxication with power cloud his judgement. I think that the response of the coalition is moronic, and verging on hysterical, but Dastyari has only himself to blame.


But seriously, who is advising the coalition? They over-egg the pudding every f**king time. This whole thing reminds me of the absurdly over-the-top reaction to the NZ issue earlier this year. And to go on a yellow-peril, red-baiting song and dance in the two weeks before a byelection in an election with significant numbers of Asian immigrants? Absolutely absurd messaging.

Edit: Not to mention the hypocrisy. Do they really think that journos aren't going to start digging into Lib/Nat connections with Chinese donors?

Completely this. You get caught once, then go straight back to it? How could you trust him? Was interesting to see they had the nice Labor wimmen and old heavies calling for him to step down while Glorious Hero of the Workers Albo, and other factional chiefs muttered something about him needing to learn his lesson but still being a valuable member of the party etc etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39460
Location: in transit
Dumbledore wrote:
Redsfan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:
He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Yeah I agree that he had to go, as he was damaging the ALP. But it is sad that he has gone. I think he could have been a seriously good minister down the track, or even PM? He is a wonderful success story and a great example to all immigrants in terms of what you can achieve in Australia if you work hard.

Unfortunately for him, he's a would-be social climber who let his intoxication with power cloud his judgement. I think that the response of the coalition is moronic, and verging on hysterical, but Dastyari has only himself to blame.


But seriously, who is advising the coalition? They over-egg the pudding every f**king time. This whole thing reminds me of the absurdly over-the-top reaction to the NZ issue earlier this year. And to go on a yellow-peril, red-baiting song and dance in the two weeks before a byelection in an election with significant numbers of Asian immigrants? Absolutely absurd messaging.

Edit: Not to mention the hypocrisy. Do they really think that journos aren't going to start digging into Lib/Nat connections with Chinese donors?

Completely this. You get caught once, then go straight back to it? How could you trust him? Was interesting to see they had the nice Labor wimmen and old heavies calling for him to step down while Glorious Hero of the Workers Albo, and other factional chiefs muttered something about him needing to learn his lesson but still being a valuable member of the party etc etc.



All of this. The coalition are idiots, desperate to land a blow after a year long pummelling. Personally I hope it's Michalia Cash, Bishop and The Austrian to be exposed but someone will be.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20601
Location: STRAYA CUNT
guy smiley wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
Redsfan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Farva wrote:
He hasnt done anything illegal. What he has done is put himself in a situation where he could be accused of not acting in the national interest. It may only be an accusation but it is enough to put doubt over him. And in politics that is enough. People in these positions need to be very careful with how they act to avoid these sorts of perceptions. Sam didnt follow these measures.
Its disappointing that he is leaving politics, as I share your sentiment of him. But he has acted in a way that could be perceived as immoral and so has to go.


Yeah I agree that he had to go, as he was damaging the ALP. But it is sad that he has gone. I think he could have been a seriously good minister down the track, or even PM? He is a wonderful success story and a great example to all immigrants in terms of what you can achieve in Australia if you work hard.

Unfortunately for him, he's a would-be social climber who let his intoxication with power cloud his judgement. I think that the response of the coalition is moronic, and verging on hysterical, but Dastyari has only himself to blame.


But seriously, who is advising the coalition? They over-egg the pudding every f**king time. This whole thing reminds me of the absurdly over-the-top reaction to the NZ issue earlier this year. And to go on a yellow-peril, red-baiting song and dance in the two weeks before a byelection in an election with significant numbers of Asian immigrants? Absolutely absurd messaging.

Edit: Not to mention the hypocrisy. Do they really think that journos aren't going to start digging into Lib/Nat connections with Chinese donors?

Completely this. You get caught once, then go straight back to it? How could you trust him? Was interesting to see they had the nice Labor wimmen and old heavies calling for him to step down while Glorious Hero of the Workers Albo, and other factional chiefs muttered something about him needing to learn his lesson but still being a valuable member of the party etc etc.



All of this. The coalition are idiots, desperate to land a blow after a year long pummelling. Personally I hope it's Michalia Cash, Bishop and The Austrian to be exposed but someone will be.

They're pathetic. Just such a dud party, imagine actually voting for them at this point. Flailing around trying to finally land a blow on Labor before the holidays. Labor need to get their house in order though. Way too many idiots hanging around.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39460
Location: in transit
Both major parties are riddled with morons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
There is always turnover of politicians for numerous reasons, this week it is Labor, next time it will be the Libs. And whoever "wins" the week gets to crow for a day or two over their "scalp" In the end it doesn't matter, we just get another politician. In this case just another off Labor's list of senators


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39460
Location: in transit
:lol: :lol:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-1 ... fmredir=sm

Federal Liberals insist it is not as politically damaging for them to have received donations from Chinese businessman Huang Xiangmo as it is for Labor's Sam Dastyari.

:lol:

Quote:
Disclosure documents uncovered by the ABC reveal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann received a $20,000 donation from Mr Huang last year.

The money was used for Senator Cormann's election campaign.

Senator Cormann argued all appropriate disclosures were made.

Federal Liberals insist it is not as politically damaging for them to have received donations from Chinese businessman Huang Xiangmo as it is for Labor's Sam Dastyari.

Key points:

Senator Dastyari resigned on Tuesday because of continued pressure over his links to China, including to businessman Huang Xiangmo.

Federal Labor stopped taking foreign donations last year but the Liberal Party has not adopted the same approach.

Disclosure documents uncovered by the ABC reveal Finance Minister Mathias Cormann received a $20,000 donation from Mr Huang last year.

The money was used for Senator Cormann's election campaign.

Senator Cormann argued all appropriate disclosures were made.

"All of those donations are lawful and declared," he said.

"As far as the Liberal Party donations are concerned they are lawfully received and declared consistent with our disclosure rules."

The Finance Minister also confirmed he had met Mr Huang.

"I have met many Australians, including many people around Australia, including that particular gentleman," Senator Cormann told reporters this afternoon.

But he insisted there was no evidence of the Coalition being influenced.

"Let me be very clear that the Turnbull Government and every single member of the Turnbull Government stands up for our national interest, unlike former Senator Sam Dastyari," Senator Cormann said.

Difference is how the money was used, minister says
Social Services Minister Christian Porter said it was obvious Mr Huang had donated to both sides of politics but argued there was a clear difference because Senator Dastyari used the money he received to pay bills and expenses, not as a campaign donation.

"Money was forwarded from the businessman to Senator Dastyari to pay personal expenses … these were monies to pay legal bills and travel expenses," he said.

"There will be both sides of politics who have received donations from the individual in question, but the essential issue with Senator Dastyari is that it wasn't a donation, it was a personal gift."

Mr Huang's company, Yuhu Group, has disclosed donations to Christopher Pyne's electorate of Sturt and Michael Sukkar's electoral of Deakin in 2016.

Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said she only recalled meeting Mr Huang once, at the opening of the Australia-China Research Centre at the University of Technology Sydney.

"I was informed that Mr Huang had donated money to that centre," she said.

Ms Bishop said the event was also attended by Labor figures including Tanya Plibersek, Chris Bowen and Sam Dastyari.

"The whole New South Wales Labor Party seemed to be there, but I was invited in my capacity as Foreign Minister by the vice-chancellor of UTS.

"I believe that is when I met Mr Huang. I have no recollection of any other meeting with him, although it is possible he could have been at events I have been present at as well," Ms Bishop said.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3966
Location: Queensland!
guy smiley wrote:
Both major parties are riddled with morons.


And some of the minor ones if we were being honest :(

Note the Coalition government in NSW is currently burning the house down with freaking dumb moves, the transport minister for example is a loose cannon on his own without the rest of the circus being involved.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26618
Salient wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Both major parties are riddled with morons.


And some of the minor ones if we were being honest :(

Note the Coalition government in NSW is currently burning the house down with freaking dumb moves, the transport minister for example is a loose cannon on his own without the rest of the circus being involved.

And the Olympic stadium could consign them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
So is the problem taking the donation in itself, not disclosing the donation or learning the donor is under ASIO surveillance and advising them of same.

To me there are issues with each level, but they clearly aren't at the same level


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19310
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
_fatprop wrote:
So is the problem taking the donation in itself, not disclosing the donation or learning the donor is under ASIO surveillance and advising them of same.

To me there are issues with each level, but they clearly aren't at the same level


and how much does approving a development in Eastwood advance CPC influence in Australia?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
kiap wrote:
Salient wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Both major parties are riddled with morons.


And some of the minor ones if we were being honest :(

Note the Coalition government in NSW is currently burning the house down with freaking dumb moves, the transport minister for example is a loose cannon on his own without the rest of the circus being involved.

And the Olympic stadium could consign them.


The Olympic stadium is a dud, it has been since it was built and the SFS is falling down

Quote:
This is the case for a new stadium at Moore Park.

When Premier Gladys Berejiklian said her government would replace stadiums at Moore Park and Olympic Park for $2 billion, the announcement was fortified by the news Allianz Stadium at Moore Park would not be able to operate in its current state within two years.

Such a fate had been alluded to in prior media reports.

........................................................

But the acceptance of the safety and accessibility problems at Allianz last month became part of the justification for what has proved a controversial decision to reverse Mike Baird's refusal to fund a replacement stadium at Moore Park.

The audit included an assessment by iAccess of the stadium's Disability Discrimination Act compliance; analysis of its structural engineering, fire engineering and egress issues by ARUP; an assessment of its Building Code of Australia compliance by Blackett Maguire Goldsmith (BMG); an audit of physical security issues by Intelligent Risks; and quantity surveying and cost planning by Rider Levitt Bucknall.

There are only 28 wheelchair accessible seats in the stadium – well below the 404 required to be consistent with the Disability Discrimination Act. (As a comparator, less than 40 per cent of Sydney Trains stations were fully accessible at 2013.)

"The subject matter experts have concluded that the venue is below minimum standards in almost all areas," a section of the summary of the audit, provided to the Herald, says. "The only way that the trust continues to operate the venue is through significant operational overlay. This provides band-aid solutions to fundamental flaws in the venue and its dated infrastructure."

Following the audit, the trust obtained a certificate of occupancy from BMG in December 2016. But that certificate, which would have to be renewed annually, was contingent on the trust spending millions on event management and interim safety upgrades.

The stadium is safe to attend, the trust says, due to such measures. But by the end of 2019, according to the safety consultant, either significant refurbishment or a new stadium would be required.

"It is important to note that once the three-year program expires, and the upgrade and refurbishment works remain incomplete, the SCG Trust will have an increased level of exposure in the event of a fire or life-safety incident or accessibility complaint," the director of BMG wrote to the trust in May.

Trust chairman Tony Shepherd said the trust had not obtained an occupancy certificate for the stadium prior to the April 2016 decision.

"We asked the CEO, 'is it safe to continue to operate?' So that's when the concept of the occupation certificate came up," Mr Shepherd said.

"We had never done that before because until we obtained the the detailed reports I suppose we thought we were OK," he said.

The $2 billion stadium plan, which has been derided by the state opposition and the subject of significant community scepticism, is also controversial because of the decision to build new stadiums, rather than refurbish existing ones. The government has not released the analysis on which this decision was based.

In a mayoral minute this week, the City of Sydney's Clover Moore said claims that Allianz could not be refurbished were "questionable".

"Limited public funds for sports facilities should not be focused on showcase stadia," Cr Moore said.


Do we need all of them, probably not, Parramatta is being built as we speak


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
I'd wager they have been purposely not maintaining Allianz Stadium to force the issue...

We don't need 3. Knock down Allianz, use the SFS for Waratah's games and renovate, not rebuild ANZ.

If the Codes whinge, let them pony up cash from their Gambling licenses.

Use the rest of the money to fix up Public schools and Health.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I'd wager they have been purposely not maintaining Allianz Stadium to force the issue...

We don't need 3. Knock down Allianz, use the SFS for Waratah's games and renovate, not rebuild ANZ.

If the Codes whinge, let them pony up cash from their Gambling licenses.

Use the rest of the money to fix up Public schools and Health.


Renovation is about the same price as the knock down unfortunately for the SFS, that is the issue


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I'd wager they have been purposely not maintaining Allianz Stadium to force the issue...

We don't need 3. Knock down Allianz, use the SFS for Waratah's games and renovate, not rebuild ANZ.

If the Codes whinge, let them pony up cash from their Gambling licenses.

Use the rest of the money to fix up Public schools and Health.


Renovation is about the same price as the knock down unfortunately for the SFS, that is the issue


Rubbish - it's been reported that it isn't.

Besides, fuck the codes - they have had millions of the Public's money, they are trying to grab more of the parklands for themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4572
So, the SCG Trust, after having been knocked back on a full rebuild decided to commission a report that just so happened to provide a veneer of impartiality to proceedings? Well I never.

They had to prompt the consultants to tell them that it was unfit by 2019, ffs. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14507
Location: Coalfalls
Redsfan wrote:
So, the SCG Trust, after having been knocked back on a full rebuild decided to commission a report that just so happened to provide a veneer of impartiality to proceedings? Well I never.

They had to prompt the consultants to tell them that it was unfit by 2019, ffs. :lol:

I have no notion what, if anything, the Cockroach Guvmint was thinking when it announced its Two Stadiums For The Price of One!!!! megadeal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
I'd wager they have been purposely not maintaining Allianz Stadium to force the issue...

We don't need 3. Knock down Allianz, use the SFS for Waratah's games and renovate, not rebuild ANZ.

If the Codes whinge, let them pony up cash from their Gambling licenses.

Use the rest of the money to fix up Public schools and Health.


Renovation is about the same price as the knock down unfortunately for the SFS, that is the issue


Rubbish - it's been reported that it isn't.

Besides, fuck the codes - they have had millions of the Public's money, they are trying to grab more of the parklands for themselves.


There is an interesting argument that a government shouldn't put money towards any elitist sports/sportsmen or the arts; and that money should be plowed into grass roots sport and local arts support instead.

The thought is that subsidising gym memberships, adding more outdoor gyms in parks & arts classes would do more for the health of the population as a whole lowering health costs etc than sitting on the couch watching some swimmer every 4 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
Fats, do you ever actually respond to a point or are you sailing down the Globus route............? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Fats, do you ever actually respond to a point or are you sailing down the Globus route............? :lol:


Mate it is he said/she said, I was actually responding to this part of your response

Quote:
Besides, fudge the codes - they have had millions of the Public's money, they are trying to grab more of the parklands for themselves.


and the broader question as to whether a government should fund the elites


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19310
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Elites? Panem et Circenses, innit?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Elites? Panem et Circenses, innit?


Pretty much.

Fats - you were defending the SCG Story about it being not fit for purpose, but now say it's not good to spend money on it.

Which is it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Elites? Panem et Circenses, innit?


Pretty much.

Fats - you were defending the SCG Story about it being not fit for purpose, but now say it's not good to spend money on it.

Which is it?


Both, if we are going to spend money on elite sporting venues, I am all up for improving the grounds I go to (absolutely selfish) but in the big picture, not so sure

Defending the SCG? I posted their position and I work in an industry that sees how new building codes are being inflicted on old buildings "to bring them up to spec". It is plausible that it is impossible for them to ever comply, fire codes are not easy to comply with in many buildings eg Sydney Council stated that the fire exits in my building are too close together, they are at north and south edges of the building, they can't physically be further apart :uhoh:

I would suggest, as usual, the reality is somewhere in the middle, there are major issues, some structural, that can't be easily fixed and some that ongoing maintenance should have kept down, but they are also probably making their position as good as possible as well. We like shiny new things.

But I do wonder if the state government was spending the money on a new theater\opera complex whether there would be the same level of hysteria from the SMH, I think not


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5760
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14507
Location: Coalfalls
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance

Clearly they are crying out for something like the Rooty Hill RSL but writ large.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39460
Location: in transit
MungoMan wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance

Clearly they are crying out for something like the Rooty Hill RSL but writ large.


Maybe if the State govt of the time hadn't screwed with Utzon's design they'd have a better home.

I thought Fats was on the money before regarding State funding of sport and grass roots needs. Totally agree the codes should be driving a funding push for their own facilities and learning to get on and compromise while doing so. While govt should be investing in infrastructure, this stadium rebuild is a gross waste of public money. They're taking the piss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 am
Posts: 1472
Location: LHI
guy smiley wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance

Clearly they are crying out for something like the Rooty Hill RSL but writ large.


Maybe if the State govt of the time hadn't screwed with Utzon's design they'd have a better home.

I thought Fats was on the money before regarding State funding of sport and grass roots needs. Totally agree the codes should be driving a funding push for their own facilities and learning to get on and compromise while doing so. While govt should be investing in infrastructure, this stadium rebuild is a gross waste of public money. They're taking the piss.



As much as I love sport, this simply cannot be justified whist education (to name just one example), is chronically underfunded.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3077
rett wrote:

As much as I love sport, this simply cannot be justified whist education (to name just one example), is chronically underfunded.


Ah but Private schools aren't under-funded and that's all they care about


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4572
MungoMan wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance

Clearly they are crying out for something like the Rooty Hill RSL but writ large.


Are you talking about the new expansion of the Rooty Hill RSL, or is this just dumb luck?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7109
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
rett wrote:

As much as I love sport, this simply cannot be justified whist education (to name just one example), is chronically underfunded.


Ah but Private schools aren't under-funded and that's all they care about


Agreed, has anyone checked to see how many pollies send their kids actually to public schools, bugger all I would think


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26618
Redsfan wrote:
Are you talking about the new expansion of the Rooty Hill RSL, or is this just dumb luck?

It's rarely dumb luck with Mungoman. You might think he's fair dinkum fossilised skull from inland Australia, but he knows his stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14507
Location: Coalfalls
Redsfan wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
_fatprop wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
There would probably be far more hysteria if the state government announced that they were going to knock down the opera house and build a new one...


And build a bigger one as well.


There has been consistent lobbying from Aus Opera and Aus Ballet to be "provided" with better digs, the Opera House (like SFS) is style over substance

Clearly they are crying out for something like the Rooty Hill RSL but writ large.


Are you talking about the new expansion of the Rooty Hill RSL, or is this just dumb luck?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If it wasn’t for dumb luck I’d have no luck at all


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 2990
_fatprop wrote:

Agreed, has anyone checked to see how many pollies send their kids actually to public schools, bugger all I would think



The only ones who might would be the ones who are lucky enough to live in the catchment of one of the academically selective high schools. Who in their right minds would pay for a private school if they could go to Fort Street instead? 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 510, 511, 512, 513, 514, 515, 516 ... 556  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Achahoish, bessantj, bimboman, brero, Cartman, danny_fitz, diarm, DOB, feckwanker, fishooks15, Floppykid, Joost, Leinsterman, Luckycharmer, Margin_Walker, Masterji, Mr. Very Popular, Podge, redderneck, Red Revolution, Rumham, SamShark, Still Playing, Theflier, TokenSarriesFan, Ulsters Red Hand, Uthikoloshe, Willie Falloon, Yourmother, ZuLu and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group