Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 564, 565, 566, 567, 568  Next

When will the Beetroot end up in the compost?
A week. If he is lucky 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
A few months at best 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
At least a year 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
He will see out his term 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
He will see his new unborn childs 21st birthday from the duchy of New England 16%  16%  [ 6 ]
What, that filthy sheep shagger? 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 37
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
kiap wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
Abbott trailing on TPP in Warringah. 54% to 46%

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... poll-shows

:lol: Heheheh ...

    In an interview published on Sunday, Abbott criticised his opponents in Warringah as “all negative”.

Well jeez, Tones. What d'ya know!

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2965
guy smiley wrote:
kiap wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
Abbott trailing on TPP in Warringah. 54% to 46%

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... poll-shows

:lol: Heheheh ...

    In an interview published on Sunday, Abbott criticised his opponents in Warringah as “all negative”.

Well jeez, Tones. What d'ya know!

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Nearly choked on my wheaties when I read the article this morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
Annabel Crabb invites you to the 45th Parliament's Leaving Do

Give it a click, it's the ABC and the traffic will be welcome. She's rather witty and you'll find some gems in there like

Quote:
This week brings what will almost certainly be the last full sitting fortnight of the 45th Parliament.

Consider it, in fact, the 45th Parliament's leaving do.


Quote:
The 30th Prime Minister, since taking office, has embraced the national madness for Marie Kondo and decluttered his parliamentary ranks, thanking and bidding farewell to a number of ministers and backbenchers who no longer spark joy and who at any rate are keen to spend more time with their families/spear guns/panickedly overthumbed Rolodexes before everything officially goes to custard in May.

The Senate, meanwhile, is so arrestingly changed from what it was in 2016 that it would qualify for a before-and-after photo spread in a supermarket checkout magazine. ("I shed SEVENTEEN senators in three years! Including TEN from my crossbench! Stunning Pix!")


Quote:
Why do royal commissions carry the moral heft that governments can no longer muster?

When considered in the cold light of day, the answer's chillingly obvious: the judiciary is one of the few Australian institutions yet to be disgraced. Probably because so few of them have worked out how to get on social media.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2965
The Cash staffer that alerted the media to the AFP raid refuses to answer questions on who told him about the raids, apparently on self incrimination grounds. It will be interesting to see if the judge compels him to respond, they usually don't take too kindly to this sort of thing. TBH I didn't realise that we had the ability to plead the fifth in Australia. This could get interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9865
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15243
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?


the "Slightly Less Objectionable"-gambit...meanwhile...

Quote:
Former ministerial adviser facing squeeze on AWU raid questions
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 8:20am

The Federal Court will rule this morning on whether a former senior media adviser to ex-Employment Minister Michaelia Cash will be required to answer questions in the AWU raids case, despite claiming privilege on the grounds of self-incrimination.

Counsel for the AWU, Herman Borenstein QC, yesterday asked David De Garis when he learned Federal police were about to execute search warrants on AWU offices in Sydney and Melbourne (see Related Article).

De Garis said he became aware the warrants would be executed at some time between midday and 4pm on October 24, 2017.

When asked who informed him, De Garis turned to Justice Mordy Bromberg and said he respectfully declined to answer on the grounds it might incriminate him.

De Garis's barrister, Jason MacLaurin, told the court that his client objected to giving evidence under s128 of the Evidence Act, which deals with self-incrimination.

MacLaurin said there were reasonable grounds for De Garis not to respond to the question, and he argued unsuccessfully for those to be heard in a closed court.

The barrister said the relevant provision at the time of the raids on the AWU was s70 of the Crimes Act, which deals with unauthorised disclosure of information by a Commonwealth officer, and the code of conduct for ministerial staff.

Justice Bromberg said he was satisfied that De Garis had reasonable grounds under s128(1) of the Evidence Act to not answer the question.

The judge told De Garis that he could willingly answer the questions and the court would issue a certificate so that his evidence could not be used against him in any proceedings in an Australian court.

If De Garis declined to willingly give evidence, however, Justice Bromberg said that the court could require him to give evidence if it was in the interest of justice.

After a short break in yesterday afternoon's proceedings, De Garis said he understood the options and he respectfully declined to answer the question at this time.

"He's not low-hanging fruit, he's significant"
MacLaurin argued that the question about the warrants was far removed from the central part of the AWU's case claiming that the ROC's decision to investigate their past donations was invalid on legal grounds and made at the urging of Minister Cash (see Related Article).

He said De Garis was "just the media officer" and was not central to the decision making process on the investigation.

Borenstein argued that court record showed that there had been a 12 month inquiry into the leaking of the information and that the Commonwealth DPP had recently decided not to lay charges.

"He's not low-hanging fruit, he's a significant person in the office," Borenstein said.

Justice Bromberg said he would reflect on the arguments and deliver his ruling this morning.

In late 2017, Minister Cash told Senate Estimates hearings that a staffer, later identified as De Garis, had resigned after admitting he tipped off the media about the raids (see Related Article).

The union has subpoenaed five witnesses to give evidence in the trial, including De Garis, Minister Cash, her former chief of staff Ben Davies, former FWO media officer Mark Lee and ROC executive director Chris Enright.

The trial is set to run until Friday.

(can't post link to subscription newsletter...)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?



We are now getting into the complexities of likes and dislikes.

At the end of the day, the simple fact is that the ALP should be polling better at this stage. Why are they not?

What is your explanation?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9865
wamberal99 wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?



We are now getting into the complexities of likes and dislikes.

At the end of the day, the simple fact is that the ALP should be polling better at this stage. Why are they not?

What is your explanation?

How the fudge would I know? Aussies be crazy? ;)

Is it the fact that despite all the Aussie larrikin business deep down Australians are naturally conservative people?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15243
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Quote:
Minister's former advisor connects dots in AWU raids case
Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 11:50am

A former media advisor to Senator Michaelia Cash learned of ROC-initiated police raids on offices of the AWU from the then Employment Minister's chief of staff, Ben Davies, the Federal Court has heard today.

David De Garis told the court that Davies called him into his office and told him of the raids on the afternoon of October 24, 2017 – the day they took place – in a conversation which took minutes.

De Garis resigned later that month during the course of Senate Estimates, Minister Cash informing the hearings that he had admitted to tipping off media about the raids (see Related Article).

Davies has also been subpoenaed to give evidence at this week's trial in which the union is challenging the validity of the the Registered Organisations Commission's decision to investigate past donations by the AWU when Labor leader Bill Shorten was its national secretary (see Related Article).

The union has argued that the decision was made for an improper purpose, after taking account of political considerations and at the urging of Minister Cash.

Earlier this morning, Justice Mordy Bromberg ruled that it was in the interests of justice for De Garis to answer the question of who informed him about the execution of the search warrants.

The judge said he would issue a certificate giving him "very significant" but not total protection from prosecution.

He said De Garis had not been charged with any offence in circumstances where an investigation into the leak had been completed and the Commonwealth DPP has decided not to launch any prosecutions.


Senator Cash, did you order the Code Red?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?



We are now getting into the complexities of likes and dislikes.

At the end of the day, the simple fact is that the ALP should be polling better at this stage. Why are they not?

What is your explanation?

How the fudge would I know? Aussies be crazy? ;)

Is it the fact that despite all the Aussie larrikin business deep down Australians are naturally conservative people?


Yes. Deeply. Religious too. God fearing patriots proudly wearing the flag of their forefathers defending the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
guy smiley wrote:
Yes. Deeply. Religious too. God fearing patriots proudly wearing the flag of their forefathers defending the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.



Fascinating insight, Guy. Mind you, I would be remiss if I did not point out the huge contributions that your "god fearing, religious" countrymen have made to our horrible country.


Brian Houston and his despicable father, Frank. You can have them back, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17327
wamberal99 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Yes. Deeply. Religious too. God fearing patriots proudly wearing the flag of their forefathers defending the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.



Fascinating insight, Guy. Mind you, I would be remiss if I did not point out the huge contributions that your "god fearing, religious" countrymen have made to our horrible country.


Brian Houston and his despicable father, Frank. You can have them back, if you like.


Joh. Dig 'im up and send 'im back.

Wasn't The Beetroot an Unzidder too?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
The Sky after Dark crew are in rapture, claiming that the govt's loss in the House today was actually a gift. A God-send. Claiming that it is Morrison's very own Tampa. They're claiming that Phelps' bill has handed the Coalition the May election because the ALP is now utterly exposed on border protection.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. The Medi-vac bill looks like common sense to me, but I have no doubt that the hysterical Right will try and spin this to support their political lies and propaganda.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
wamberal99 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Yes. Deeply. Religious too. God fearing patriots proudly wearing the flag of their forefathers defending the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.



Fascinating insight, Guy. Mind you, I would be remiss if I did not point out the huge contributions that your "god fearing, religious" countrymen have made to our horrible country.


Brian Houston and his despicable father, Frank. You can have them back, if you like.


That's a chomp of magnificent proportions...

as someone who's been around in here a long time, I'm more than happy to call it Precious. Gloriously so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
wamberal99 wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ALP lead the Coalition 53-47 on 2PP in today's Newspoll.

The only thing staggering about this is that 47% of Australians still support the Coalition enough to vote for them. Seriously, wtf?!



It's Shorten, innit? People just do not like him. Or trust him.

But surely they can't like him less or trust him less than the various dipshits on the other side?



We are now getting into the complexities of likes and dislikes.

At the end of the day, the simple fact is that the ALP should be polling better at this stage. Why are they not?

What is your explanation?


ALP is leading 53-47 in Monday's Newspoll. 55-44 in today's Essential Poll. How much better could they realistically be expected to do?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 pm
Posts: 1375
Location: Sydney
Abbott :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://amp.news.com.au/finance/work/le ... 7d5692aa08

With his job on the line and many voters in his own electorate desperate to see him ousted, Tony Abbott is seeking credit wherever he can take it.
His latest claim? That he helped to bring about same-sex marriage in Australia last year.

“When all is said and done, I helped to make the thing happen,” the former prime minister told The Sydney Morning Herald . “I set up the process which opened up the possibility and even the likelihood of change. Now that it has happened, I absolutely accept the outcome. It’s the law of the land and that’s the way it is.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 pm
Posts: 1375
Location: Sydney
You couldn’t make this shit up :?

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... lped-write

Tim Wilson to assess at least 97 franking credit inquiry submissions he helped write
Liberal MP, as committee chair, will have to consider pro forma submissions sent in via his website

Liberal MP Tim Wilson will be obliged to assess at least 97 parliamentary inquiry submissions containing text that he wrote himself.

Of the submissions that have been published, at least 97 contain some part of the text written by Wilson, while 92 contain almost all of the text. (Many of these contain extra information in addition to the pro forma text).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
Location: Straya cunt
Ali's Choice wrote:
The Sky after Dark crew are in rapture, claiming that the govt's loss in the House today was actually a gift. A God-send. Claiming that it is Morrison's very own Tampa. They're claiming that Phelps' bill has handed the Coalition the May election because the ALP is now utterly exposed on border protection.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. The Medi-vac bill looks like common sense to me, but I have no doubt that the hysterical Right will try and spin this to support their political lies and propaganda.



Morrison is wallowing in this, and the Murdoch press are loving it this morning...

There's already Howard comparisons, and apparently Shorten is going to be responsible for all the boats flooding in... despite this bill being completely inconsequential to any future boat arrivals, and also being largely supported by the electorate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29777
Location: in transit
Slim 293 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The Sky after Dark crew are in rapture, claiming that the govt's loss in the House today was actually a gift. A God-send. Claiming that it is Morrison's very own Tampa. They're claiming that Phelps' bill has handed the Coalition the May election because the ALP is now utterly exposed on border protection.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. The Medi-vac bill looks like common sense to me, but I have no doubt that the hysterical Right will try and spin this to support their political lies and propaganda.



Morrison is wallowing in this, and the Murdoch press are loving it this morning...

There's already Howard comparisons, and apparently Shorten is going to be responsible for all the boats flooding in... despite this bill being completely inconsequential to any future boat arrivals, and also being largely supported by the electorate.


An amazing day yesterday, the face on Morrison pictured in the House was priceless.

Yes, expect a barrage of propaganda now. Some discussion on Reddit has suggested we'll see a boat or two slip through just to hammer home the fear and rage aspect... oh, because the boats haven't stopped, of course. Operational matters, on water.

I'd love to see a Royal Commission into the whole thing, secrecy, intercepts and the jaw dropping costs economically and misery wise of off shore detention and those who have and are profiting by it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15243
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
The Malignant Tuber was on fire this morning, Tanya Plibersek calmly snuffed out each steaming nugget of hysterical hyperbole...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5360
guy smiley wrote:

I'd love to see a Royal Commission into the whole thing, secrecy, intercepts and the jaw dropping costs economically and misery wise of off shore detention and those who have and are profiting by it.


Lets just start with the shelf company providing security on Manus and received $453m for it. It doesnt pass the pub test and Dutton refuses to say who owns it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3906
Location: Straya cunt
And the Medivac bill has just passed in the Senate 36 - 34... :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15303
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-02- ... fmredir=sm

Trouble in paradise. Pauline accused of sexual harassment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
Good publicity for One Notion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15243
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Whoop-Whoop! That's the sound of the Police...

Quote:
ROC connection named as AWU raids leaker
Thursday, February 14, 2019, 4:55pm

Minister Michaelia Cash's former chief-of-staff told police the source of information about pending AFP raids was the then FWO media advisor Mark Lee, the Federal Court has heard.

The court has previously heard that Lee was assisting the ROC with media work at the time of the raids in October 2017.

Counsel for the AWU, Herman Borenstein QC, today told the court that Ben Davies named Lee as the source of the information in a statement to the Federal police.

Borenstein said that Lee was silent on that subject in his statement to police.

The court has also heard that Lee had a job offer to work in Minister Cash's office around the time of the raids, which he did not take up.

Lee has yet to give evidence and, with former Employment Minister Cash due to appear tomorrow, is now likely to face questioning on one of the two extra hearing dates that have been added to proceedings, February 28 or March 8.

Counsel for Lee, Gideon Boas, today sought that reporting of Lee's name should be suppressed, arguing that it was not presently part of the proceedings before the court.

However, Justice Mordy Bromberg said that Lee was mentioned in the AWU's grounds for review in the proceedings, which were an "informal form of pleading".

Boas made a second application for a suppression order, arguing the AWU's informal pleading was an allegation by the union.

He argued that reference to Lee being named as the source of information in a statement made to police was an "entirely different proposition".

Boas argued the police statement was not presently in the evidence and might never be admitted, but Lee faced a "serious reputational impact" if named in that context.

However, Justice Bromberg said he was not satisfied that a suppression order should be granted covering Borenstein's comments mentioning Lee.

Possible jail term
Earlier, Davies said he found out about the ROC's investigation into the AWU on October 24 "through information relating to the search warrants"

When asked who told him about the warrants, Davies declined to answer on the grounds of possible self-incrimination.

Borenstein mentioned Lee's name during debate over whether Davies should be compelled to answer the question.

Davies' counsel, Richard Dalton SC, said that one ground of the claim was under s70 of the Crimes Act, which deals with unauthorised disclosure by a Commonwealth officer, and the other ground dealt with possible contempt of parliament.

Dalton argued that Davies should not be compelled to answer questions about his knowledge of the warrants before they were executed; about any notifications to the media on that topic; or any communications with Minister Cash on October 25 and 26.

He said that a certificate of immunity from prosecution issued by the court in the current proceedings would not extend to possible action by the Senate for contempt of parliament, which carried a possible jail term of six months.

Borenstein said the evidence sought from Davies was relevant and was an "important part" of the AWU's case.

Deal with media "very rarely": Davies
Yesterday, Minister Cash's former senior media adviser, David De Garis, told the court that Davies told him about the impending raids on October 24, 2017.

The court heard that De Garis said he did not ask Davies about the source of the information and that De Garis worked with a media advisor to Justice Minister Michael Keenan to disseminate news of the pending raids to the media.

The AWU is challenging the validity of the decision by the ROC to investigate past donations by the AWU when Labor leader Bill Shorten was its national secretary.

The union argues the ROC's executive director Chris Enright made the decision for an improper purpose, at the urging of Minister Cash.

In earlier evidence today, the court heard that Davies was chief of staff to Minister between 2015 to 2017 and had the same role with previous Employment Minister Eric Abetz.

Before that, Davies was chief of staff to Victoria's Liberal Attorney-General between 2011 and 2013.

Under questioning from counsel for the AWU, Davies said he oversaw up to 18 staff in Minister Cash's offices in Canberra and Perth and "very rarely" dealt with the media.

Davies said he had met the ROC's executive director Chris Enright once during a brief "meet and greet" at the Commission's Melbourne offices with another Cash staffer in July 2017.

Davies said Enright contacted him after Minster Cash sent two letters to the ROC in August 2017 referring the Commission reports in The Australian newspaper dealing with donations made by the AWU.

He said the Jobs Department advised when drawing up the letters that the Minister had no power to direct the ROC on particular matters.

Labor demands answers from Minister Keenan
In the House of Representatives yesterday, the Opposition shadow IR Minister Brendan O'Connor asked Minister Keenan if he stood by comments made to parliament in March 2018 that neither he nor anyone in his office tipped off media outlets about the pending raids on the AWU.

In reply yesterday, Minister Keenan said he stood by the statement.

"I was justice minister for 4½ years.

"Every single day, I and my office dealt with sensitive information, we had protocols associated with dealing with that information, and we continued to make sure that those protocols were adhered to in all circumstances."

Keenan is now Minister for Human Services, but has announced he will not stand at the coming Federal election.

(can't provide link to subscription site...)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15303
wamberal99 wrote:
Good publicity for One Notion.


Must be the first that a politician has literally drawn blood in the halls of Parliament.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
The polls are tightening, tonight's IPSOS poll has the Coalition trailing by just 49-51 in the wake of the week dominated by govt scare campaigns about boat people. It seems that Australian are not ready just yet for the humane medical treatment of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 50ycu.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4009
It would be amazing if ScoMo and team ended up winning vs. Bill and team.
ALP should walk the election (and obtain majority).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 572
Ali's Choice wrote:
The polls are tightening, tonight's IPSOS poll has the Coalition trailing by just 49-51 in the wake of the week dominated by govt scare campaigns about boat people. It seems that Australian are not ready just yet for the humane medical treatment of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 50ycu.html


It's not the most reliable of polls, and with Channel 9 bashing the ALP recently, its' veracity is becoming shakier.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
freewheelan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The polls are tightening, tonight's IPSOS poll has the Coalition trailing by just 49-51 in the wake of the week dominated by govt scare campaigns about boat people. It seems that Australian are not ready just yet for the humane medical treatment of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 50ycu.html


It's not the most reliable of polls, and with Channel 9 bashing the ALP recently, its' veracity is becoming shakier.


Yeah, the polls go up and down. Overall though, the ALP has enjoyed an election winning lead in all polls for a while now. If the Medivac Bill changes votes then I'd argue those people were going to vote Coalition anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:53 am
Posts: 1242
Location: LHI
Ali's Choice wrote:
freewheelan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The polls are tightening, tonight's IPSOS poll has the Coalition trailing by just 49-51 in the wake of the week dominated by govt scare campaigns about boat people. It seems that Australian are not ready just yet for the humane medical treatment of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 50ycu.html


It's not the most reliable of polls, and with Channel 9 bashing the ALP recently, its' veracity is becoming shakier.


Yeah, the polls go up and down. Overall though, the ALP has enjoyed an election winning lead in all polls for a while now. If the Medivac Bill changes votes then I'd argue those people were going to vote Coalition anyway.


I hope you’re right.
The sad fact is that since the Howard era, the lunatics have gained a foothold. Hopefully, decency will prevail this time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 572
Ali's Choice wrote:
freewheelan wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The polls are tightening, tonight's IPSOS poll has the Coalition trailing by just 49-51 in the wake of the week dominated by govt scare campaigns about boat people. It seems that Australian are not ready just yet for the humane medical treatment of refugees on Nauru and Manus Island.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 50ycu.html


It's not the most reliable of polls, and with Channel 9 bashing the ALP recently, its' veracity is becoming shakier.


Yeah, the polls go up and down. Overall though, the ALP has enjoyed an election winning lead in all polls for a while now. If the Medivac Bill changes votes then I'd argue those people were going to vote Coalition anyway.


That 2% of swinging voters would change their vote based solely on the ridiculous threat posed by boat refugees seems a bit high to me. If the poll is accurate though, I'd have to agree with your argument.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4009
Poll is last week vs. DEC 18 I think.

So other stuff has occurred.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
The issues that are really hurting the ALP are the so-called "franking credits" changes and Shorten.


It might just be that Bowen should have kept his powder dry on the tax changes; there is a lot of misinformation being peddled about this.


If Scummo ditched the baseball cap and the high pitched "anger" about all those people smugglers I reckon he could still win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22796
Location: Queensland
wamberal99 wrote:
The issues that are really hurting the ALP are the so-called "franking credits" changes and Shorten.


It might just be that Bowen should have kept his powder dry on the tax changes; there is a lot of misinformation being peddled about this.


If Scummo ditched the baseball cap and the high pitched "anger" about all those people smugglers I reckon he could still win.


In an affluent country such as Australia, centre right parties always have an inherent advantage.

Tim Wilson's mess up of his Senate Committee process has taken the enge off the Coalition's franking credits argument, but I agree that this is an issue for the ALP. Australians overwhelmingly vote with their back pockets.

In saying that, if the ALP do manage to win the election then they will have a huge moral mandate to pursue this change and scrap this unsustainable tax rort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3154
There is a long way to go, obviously, maybe the tide will turn a bit around the tax changes when those who will benefit from the additional revenue start to make up their minds. Pain now, maybe will bring benefits as the campaign unfolds.


The two big issues to me are firstly, it is time for a change, and secondly, the ALP does look more stable as a potential government, less riven by internal enmities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17327
Ali's Choice wrote:
In saying that, if the ALP do manage to win the election then they will have a huge moral mandate to pursue this change and scrap this unsustainable tax rort.

Ahem. It's only a "rort" if you ... personally .. aren't getting it.

Negative gearing, f'rinstance, is a "much needed stimulus in this uncertain housing market".

And Bill Shorten totally gets this (he reads the poll numbers for the aspirational voter segment). The ALP will ensure strong "moral leadership" in this regard by ensuring their former reform plan for this is filed under B1N.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 564, 565, 566, 567, 568  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bathrugby35, Bobless, Carwyn, clydecloggie, danny_fitz, DraadkarD, earl the beaver, EverReady, FairWeather_Aussie, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], hermie, Hong Kong, Jake, julian, Kiwias, koroke hangareka, Luckycharmer, Man In Black, ManInTheBar, Masterji, Mick Mannock, ovalball, penguin, Petros, Seez, shereblue, sturginho, Taranaki Snapper, tazman77, tc27, The Sun God, Turbogoat, unseenwork, Wylie Coyote, ZappaMan, zzzz and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group