Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 598  Next

Whos Going to Lead the Labor Rabble
Albo 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Plibbers 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bowen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chalmers 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Uncle Tony 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Clive Palmer 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
George Smith 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:19 am 

Saw a story about what the NBN had done for a small Tassie town virtually stopping many young people leaving for the mainland, this could be repeated x 1000 in the bush but as no party has discussed rural issues so far Im sure its nothing for the Libs to kybosh this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:27 am 

grievous wrote:
Saw a story about what the NBN had done for a small Tassie town virtually stopping many young people leaving for the mainland, this could be repeated x 1000 in the bush but as no party has discussed rural issues so far Im sure its nothing for the Libs to kybosh this.

It proves that the Liberals and Nationals are not a real coalition. If the Nationals thought this through, they would not back it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 am 

:|

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:46 am 

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... 2sw8l.html

Quote:
The Gillard government oversaw the smallest increase in cost of living of any Australian government for at least 25 years despite the introduction of the carbon tax, a new study has found.

Moreover, Australian households have seen real incomes - disposable income minus cost of living increases - rise 15 per cent since just after Labor took office, giving the average household a $5324 a year boost, or $102 a week.

The results of the survey by the University of Canberra's national centre for social and economic modelling go much of the way to answering the question Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has asked repeatedly throughout the election campaign: ''Are we better off than we were six years ago?''
Advertisement

The answer, at least in terms of family incomes, is an emphatic ''yes'' according to the centre's research. Since Labor took power, the ''standard of living'' - the centre's term for rises in disposable income subtracted by cost of living increases - has risen 2.6 per cent a year, the exact same average annual increase as during the 11 years of the Howard government.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... 2sye9.html

Quote:
Melbourne and Sydney's Sunday newspapers are united in their calls for voters to throw Kevin Rudd's Labor government out of office for the Coalition.

Melbourne's Fairfax-owned The Sunday Age did so reluctantly.

''Ultimately, in the absence of policies and detailed economic information, voter decisiveness will depend on one issue: trust,'' its editorial said.

It lauded former prime minister Julia Gillard's policy reforms, including DisabilityCare and pricing carbon.
Advertisement

However: ''Labor's legislative record has been strong, but it is Ms Gillard's legacy, not

Mr Rudd's. There is still a question hanging over his ability to govern.

''Mr Abbott, it must be said, has led a united, disciplined team for three years. It has been a formidable opposition. The disappointment has been its failure to provide detailed costings or step beyond slogans. Mr Abbott must offer more to an electorate seeking to make an informed choice. His decision to further delay the release of costings smacks of cynicism and arrogance and blunts his pitch for office. Therefore, it is with little enthusiasm that we say the Coalition deserves to win.''

The country's f**ked... 6 years of static coming up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:28 am 

Redsfan wrote:

Thanks I'm on the GC now and wouldn't have seen that. To slightly twist the title of another thread here by changing the country, fudge Off out of Australia Murduch You plum!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 am 

Trio of pollies to program Rage.

Albo: Pixies, Nirvana, Bragg
Bandt: Go Betweens, Talking Heads, REM

Bishop: Forgoes songs and just repeats "I am a tone-deaf f**king pleb" while tapping on an empty beer carton for two hours.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/politicians-release-their-rage-tapes-20130830-2sunv.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:39 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
Stu Wilsons gloves wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
6roucho wrote:
The worst thing Abbott will do will be to dismantle the NBN: a crime against progress that could take a generation to recover from. And he has no choice: he stood at the crossroads in his budgie smugglers and signed up with Uncle Rupe.

Yup, will be a sad day when he fina;;y passes his legislation and him and Turnbull stand before adoring News Ltd TV cameras toasting their success in effectively condemning Australia to the internet Dark Ages. Posters like shanky, Towny, fatprop et al will no doubt be proud as well.

Yeah I agree and all the unthinking sheeple whom don't watch Q&A won't even realise what they are missing.

They won't dismantle it. It's too late for that.

The full rollout will be stymied though.

I was being hyperbolic there. Although Tony Abbott did threaten at one point to rip it up, that was obviously said in a moment of incoherence and as you say, won't be done. What will happen, it seems, is that the remainder of the network will be implemented as FTTN and a squillion new nodes produced.

For those of you who aren't as sadly obsessed with networks as Mat and I, that means no way back. It isn't simply a matter of running the final distance to home with fiber in the future, as the coalition airily says, because FTTH and FTTN are quite different topologies. In a future FTTN network the new nodes would become redundant, and new fiber would be run from homes to the exchange. So, we're locked into a second-rate FTTN topology coupled with an ancient copper network while other countries zoom ahead with future-proof FTTH.

It's a disaster. If we really do want to be a quarry in the future, then this is one way to help lock that result in, like building two-lane freeways and bridges.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:47 am 

It surely is.

Whilst my new gaff will get it, my idea of working remotely on the coast are farked........

Unbelievably short-sighted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:55 am 

A fun weekend in the heart of Hockeyville, had to dodge squads of Blueshirts who were patrolling the local cafe strip yesterday and this morning had the local shopkeep put a "Real Solutions" pamphlet on top of my sunday paper, I put it back on the pile but he tried to do it again with my change...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:57 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
A fun weekend in the heart of Hockeyville, had to dodge squads of Blueshirts who were patrolling the local cafe strip yesterday and this morning had the local shopkeep put a "Real Solutions" pamphlet on top of my sunday paper, I put it back on the pile but he tried to do it again with my change...

You should have f**ked his face with the pamphlet.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:10 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

You should have f**ked his face with the pamphlet.....

I think it was an attempt at humour from the inscrutable eccentric but his shop, like every other on the strip is festooned with Hockey posters...Naremburn has a sizeable Armenian community and the original Hockey Real Estate office was on the corner here until very recently...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:18 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

Whilst my new gaff will get it, my idea of working remotely on the coast are farked........

For me it's a real hinge issue Mat. I know I bang on about the carbon price and mining tax, but it's not a disaster if those are scrapped. They can always be re-introduced in a better form when Turnbull comes to power. This is a disaster.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 am 

6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

For me it's a real hinge issue Mat. I know I bang on about the carbon price and mining tax, but it's not a disaster if those are scrapped. They can always be re-introduced in a better form when Turnbull comes to power. This is a disaster.

But it's all Malcolm's own work...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:27 am 

6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

I'd wager it won't happen :frown:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:32 am 

kiap wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

Malcolm's willingly wearing it does worry me. Maybe Mat is right and common sense will prevail. Threatening to vandalise something to look different is one thing, but doing it is another.

There's a conspiracy theory that the Coalition's broadband policy is the result of a deal between them and the Murdoch press. I hope that's just hot air.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:41 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

I'd wager it won't happen :frown:

I think they will, eventually.

We could still finish up with an ETS because the Coalition don't have the numbers to remove it, and can then give up having saved face. If Abbott really does go to a double dissolution over it then he's taking a huge risk. The bottom line for economic rationalists is that a carbon price is the cheapest way to met our emissions targets. That will eventually sink in, after it ceases to be a Labor policy to be scrapped. Maybe the best course of action is to allow the Coalition to make the change, so it becomes their policy to defend.

Similarly, for economic rationalists, a rent tax on resources is a very good thing. It provides money to the nation during resources booms, without the risk of discouraging the investment that creates those booms. Again, what we need is for some white knight to ride in and throw away the current, bastardized tax and implement a proper one under the cover of fixing Labor's mistakes.

I have this fantasy of a Utopian political system in which the leaders get together in a closed room and discuss these things, with their party faces off, like off-duty professional wrestlers, and the best interest of the country in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:49 am 

6roucho wrote:
I have this fantasy of a Utopian political system in which the leaders get together in a closed room and discuss these things, with their party faces off, like off-duty professional wrestlers, and the best interest of the country in mind.

Queen had a song about that...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 am 

6roucho wrote:
kiap wrote:
6roucho wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
It surely is.

Malcolm's willingly wearing it does worry me. Maybe Mat is right and common sense will prevail. Threatening to vandalise something to look different is one thing, but doing it is another.

There's a conspiracy theory that the Coalition's broadband policy is the result of a deal between them and the Murdoch press. I hope that's just hot air.

That's some deal.

I thought Mat was referring more to the other points but, whatever the outcome of the election, I think the public is going to turn the hate very quickly onto the next government. Less than a year.

The FTTH NBN is still the popular option as I see it. Not sure too many punters actually want Malcolm's 2nd rate plan. Best scenario is the Libs do a backflip: "Too far into the process to cancel". But who knows...

Last edited by kiap on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:59 am 

kiap wrote:
The FTTH NBN is still the popular option as I see it. Not sure too many punters actually want Malcom's 2nd rate plan. Best scenario is the Libs do a backflip: "Too far into the process to cancel". But who knows...

Hopefully but that would mean Tony would have to stomach a "lie".

Don't see it happening.

He's already promised to lift the oversight committee on charity funding to help his mates in the church.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:09 am 

Ironically, if they get a big enough majority they can backflip all they want.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:14 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:

Don't see it happening.

I also think it is unlikely. But not for that reason.

The Libs will probably do a couple of backflips. Tony's parental leave scheme is likely to be one of the first things cut down to size.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:15 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
kiap wrote:
The FTTH NBN is still the popular option as I see it. Not sure too many punters actually want Malcom's 2nd rate plan. Best scenario is the Libs do a backflip: "Too far into the process to cancel". But who knows...

Don't see it happening.

He's already promised to lift the oversight committee on charity funding to help his mates in the church.

When tony was a student politician it was under the DLP banner. Make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:35 am 

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
kiap wrote:

Don't see it happening.

When tony was a student politician it was under the DLP banner. Make of that what you will.

He has Bob Santamaria's mortuary stare.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:36 am 

kiap wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:

Don't see it happening.

The Libs will probably do a couple of backflips. Tony's parental leave scheme is likely to be one of the first things cut down to size.

Then the squealing will begin from the duped...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:50 am 

Mat the Expat wrote:
kiap wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:

Don't see it happening.

Then the squealing will begin from the duped...

The pollies that propose and support it "fight to the end" and the rest of them chip away at reducing it. One or the other wins, but there's always squealing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:53 am 

One of the interesting points on the SMH website is that it's almost impossible to write a comment on a "pro-coalition" article, yet the Labor bashing ones are up to 400 comments long

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:55 am 

People talk like Turnbull will eventually takeover but the Libs historically have never been like Labor in ditching their leaders, the Vic Premier aside.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:00 am 

Turnbull knows this. The fact that he's never challenged Abbott in opposition suggests that a deal has already been done, and there'll be an amicable handover at some point, which is how the Liberals do it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:04 am 

If the proles get antsy due to the welfare teat being removed, Malcolm is waiting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:16 am 

6roucho wrote:
Turnbull knows this. The fact that he's never challenged Abbott in opposition suggests that a deal has already been done, and there'll be an amicable handover at some point, which is how the Liberals do it.

He might get addicted to power like Howard did. Then again i suspect Turnbull has more gonads than Costello.

Last edited by Burke's Boot on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:49 am 

Not sure if anyone mentioned Col Allan in the previous thread, and his influence on News Limited and creating more aggressive commentary in the tabloid press:
Col Pot’s war on Rudd: how the tabloids turned under Allan

Murdoch's vicious attacks on Rudd: it's business

Today's Telegraph frontpage is the latest example of electioneering by News.

Christopher Pyne on ABC News 24 made me wonder whether I've been living in a parallel universe for the last 3 years: he accused Labor of relentless negativity, and inability to develop policy. The Coalition have been running critical messages endlessly, and only began promoting their own policies, and attempting to promote constructive messages, within the last month or two.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am 

I think the problem for Abbott is that the electorate may turn on him quickly. His abrasive public persona is quite effective for attacking others but won't win hearts and minds in government.

Of course Keating never did either, but Abbott doesn't have Keating's abilities.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am 

The Observer wrote:

Christopher Pyne on ABC News 24 made me wonder whether I've been living in a parallel universe for the last 3 years: he accused Labor of relentless negativity, and inability to develop policy. The Coalition have been running critical messages endlessly, and only began promoting their own policies, and attempting to promote constructive messages, within the last month or two.

Col pot's been covered already by those of us who are simple left leaning hippies intent only on seeing conspiracies in the media at every turn... thankfully, we've had sensible centrists in the middle way keeping some balance and assuring us such fantasies are indeed, just that. Such posters include the likes of Shanky, Towny and Fats which, if you're prepared to employ a shade of lateral thinking, would make a great nickname for the coalition frontbench.

Pyne's latest echoes that of Abbott since they election date was finalised... paint Labor as negative. It's awesome to see and no-one, not one miserable scum sucking bottom dwelling parasite calling themselves a journalist, has questioned them on that inherent hypocrisy. It's hysterical.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:17 am 

Anyone know what Media Watch has been saying about News Ltds coverage? Recall the original and best host by a country mile, Stuart Littlemore QC, interviewing Col Allen a good 15 years back and don't recall seeing someone so nervous. Then again he had balls just to show up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:28 am 

Redsfan wrote:

what a f**king disgrace Newscorp are

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 am 

What I want to know is after a month or so of media and on air furious wanking over a momentous win and how they all helped the Libs get there what they will actually fill columns and air time with? Jones, Bolt et all focus 100% on negative Labor broadcasting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:22 am 

grievous wrote:
What I want to know is after a month or so of media and on air furious wanking over a momentous win and how they all helped the Libs get there what they will actually fill columns and air time with? Jones, Bolt et all focus 100% on negative Labor broadcasting.

Maybe they'll discuss the emerging stories about the ALP's last few years? Gillard has a book which will discuss her party being sabotaged by Rudd. Others might come out and discuss the inane policy directions which they were forced to follow.

Plenty of airtime can be filled.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14 am 

grievous wrote:
Redsfan wrote:

what a f**king disgrace Newscorp are

Disgraceful front page. News Ltd are taking the piss now.

In saying that fatprop has assured me that the shameless News Ltd bias is balanced out because Michelle Grattan wrote a pro-Rudd story in the leadup to the 2007 election.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:32 am 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:

You buy sunday papers? :x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:37 pm 

grievous wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

You buy sunday papers? :x

seriously, what the fudge is wrong with you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 598  Next