Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
Back to building the traditional braai. I've seen railway ties being used for a lintel...has anyone done this and does the heat not damage the wood in the long run?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3120
saffer13 wrote:
Very nice portable braai. I found a local guy here that visited SA and fell in love with the braai and has started building them as well. A little pricey though...

https://kudugrills.com/

Very similar to the ones on that web page. Those smoke king are made locally by a couple of guys from Dallas (thus also the smokers they make) that particular one is US$ 200 aprox.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4740
saffer13 wrote:
Very nice portable braai. I found a local guy here that visited SA and fell in love with the braai and has started building them as well. A little pricey though...

https://kudugrills.com/

$500 only a little pricey?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
Fangle wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Very nice portable braai. I found a local guy here that visited SA and fell in love with the braai and has started building them as well. A little pricey though...

https://kudugrills.com/

$500 only a little pricey?

$799 for the premium :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
julian wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Very nice portable braai. I found a local guy here that visited SA and fell in love with the braai and has started building them as well. A little pricey though...

https://kudugrills.com/

Very similar to the ones on that web page. Those smoke king are made locally by a couple of guys from Dallas (thus also the smokers they make) that particular one is US$ 200 aprox.

Much better price. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31462
Location: Chickenrunning...
saffer13 wrote:
Back to building the traditional braai. I've seen railway ties being used for a lintel...has anyone done this and does the heat not damage the wood in the long run?

Get a concrete lintel


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
Sandstorm wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Back to building the traditional braai. I've seen railway ties being used for a lintel...has anyone done this and does the heat not damage the wood in the long run?

Get a concrete lintel

Yes but I've seen the railway tie lintel's and they look pretty sharp.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5234
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Calculus wrote:
The steel used in those drums is too thin to make a proper braai, won't last long.



Line it out with sand and fire bricks - it will lat for two life times, then. And the coal height will be better.


:roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
saffer13 wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
That looks wicked 8)

You can build a circular fire-pit about 3 feet high without even using mortar. Some tan coloured concrete blocks would be easy to stack.

Exactly like the one I have now. I use it for a regular fire pit or when I use the spit. :thumbup:

Sards wrote:
Walking on pebble stones and maintaining it......no thanks

I believe you said the same thing last time when I posted a pic of my current setup in front of my braai now and fangle had to set you straight then as well. The rocks we're talking about here are very smooth and don't hurt at all, in fact...feels bloody good under foot. :thumbup:


I have pebbles I put between pavers and they constantly have to be tidied up and when you stand on them......eisch. I am growing super grass between instead. Which will take some time.
It also looks very untidy over time. But that's your choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31462
Location: Chickenrunning...
Agreed. I had a pebble path between my patio and garag....I mean man-cave. Replaced it with sandstone paving pronto!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Sandstorm wrote:
Agreed. I had a pebble path between my patio and garag....I mean man-cave. Replaced it with sandstone paving pronto!


When are you showing us your Braai Sandy.......you keep promising


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Mushroom sauce was brilliant. Very impressive. Haven't found the cut of meat yet. We went with Ribeye which was outstanding


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Mushroom sauce was brilliant. Very impressive. Haven't found the cut of meat yet. We went with Ribeye which was outstanding

8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25183
Location: Stellenbosch
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Mushroom sauce was brilliant. Very impressive. Haven't found the cut of meat yet. We went with Ribeye which was outstanding

Ribeye is the fancy name for a club steak. Rump is the best steak


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Mushroom sauce was brilliant. Very impressive. Haven't found the cut of meat yet. We went with Ribeye which was outstanding

Ribeye is the fancy name for a club steak. Rump is the best steak

I am sorry but rump just does not have the flavour or texture of rib eye


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 4117
Club and ribeye is not the same cut. They are neighbours but not the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 953
Fangle wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Very nice portable braai. I found a local guy here that visited SA and fell in love with the braai and has started building them as well. A little pricey though...

https://kudugrills.com/

$500 only a little pricey?


Am i missing something? this is basically the built in braai set up at every 70s built NWR camp in Namibia's national parks. I can only assume that they are much the same in SA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Average Joe wrote:
Club and ribeye is not the same cut. They are neighbours but not the same.

Club steak is nothing like a rib eye. It is also called a Junior T Bone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
http://www.fashionbeans.com/article/how ... 0531#tbone


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4692
Sards wrote:
http://www.fashionbeans.com/article/how-to-cook-types-of-steak/?rtg=3166-Xeqpxt&param4=fsb-fni-fbss-3166-za-mo-ocpm-ic-wps&param5=10155231403581186&param6=23842900082460531#tbone


Goodness me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
I was quite surprised about the T bone. Never thought about processing it like that. Always thought that was how you did Rib eye.....But I am definitely going to give it a go. Perfect for my Diablo. Have 2 grids so would leave one right at the bottom with a cast iron skillet for the braising and have the second grid mid way for the bake off. Just wondering if you would rest it for 10 minutes.......surely it will get cold hey Chilli.....

I love a big T bone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards wrote:
I was quite surprised about the T bone. Never thought about processing it like that. Always thought that was how you did Rib eye.....But I am definitely going to give it a go. Perfect for my Diablo. Have 2 grids so would leave one right at the bottom with a cast iron skillet for the braising and have the second grid mid way for the bake off. Just wondering if you would rest it for 10 minutes.......surely it will get cold hey Chilli.....

I love a big T bone.

Rest in a warm place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards, have you tried the Cote de Beouf yet?
And the mushroom sauce?


Mushroom sauce was brilliant. Very impressive. Haven't found the cut of meat yet. We went with Ribeye which was outstanding

Ribeye is the fancy name for a club steak. Rump is the best steak

I am sorry but rump just does not have the flavour or texture of rib eye

This. Ribeye is probably my favorite cut. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
I was quite surprised about the T bone. Never thought about processing it like that. Always thought that was how you did Rib eye.....But I am definitely going to give it a go. Perfect for my Diablo. Have 2 grids so would leave one right at the bottom with a cast iron skillet for the braising and have the second grid mid way for the bake off. Just wondering if you would rest it for 10 minutes.......surely it will get cold hey Chilli.....

I love a big T bone.

Rest in a warm place.


What sort of temperature Chilli


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
I was quite surprised about the T bone. Never thought about processing it like that. Always thought that was how you did Rib eye.....But I am definitely going to give it a go. Perfect for my Diablo. Have 2 grids so would leave one right at the bottom with a cast iron skillet for the braising and have the second grid mid way for the bake off. Just wondering if you would rest it for 10 minutes.......surely it will get cold hey Chilli.....

I love a big T bone.

Rest in a warm place.


What sort of temperature Chilli

A commercial kitchen is always at about 40 degree's, if that helps :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3033
Chilli wrote:
A commercial kitchen is always at about 40 degree's, if that helps :roll:


You laugh but it is the most irritatingly hard thing to find out - all recipes tell you do it but none will actually nominate a temperature.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Chilli wrote:
A commercial kitchen is always at about 40 degree's, if that helps :roll:


You laugh but it is the most irritatingly hard thing to find out - all recipes tell you do it but none will actually nominate a temperature.

This is a problem, I agree. If you cook a steak to rare, which has a core temperature of about 55°C, and the room temperature is 20°C the steak will be cold within 2 or 3 minutes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
I was quite surprised about the T bone. Never thought about processing it like that. Always thought that was how you did Rib eye.....But I am definitely going to give it a go. Perfect for my Diablo. Have 2 grids so would leave one right at the bottom with a cast iron skillet for the braising and have the second grid mid way for the bake off. Just wondering if you would rest it for 10 minutes.......surely it will get cold hey Chilli.....

I love a big T bone.

Rest in a warm place.


What sort of temperature Chilli

A commercial kitchen is always at about 40 degree's, if that helps :roll:

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4740
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Foil will work.

70 degrees is too hot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.

Yeah, that will work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Foil will work.

70 degrees is too hot.


Doing that mushroom sauce again. But missus is going to use Shimeji mushrooms because it's got a great earthy taste...and she has fallen for them lately


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
julian wrote:
I know these guys have been sending parrillas abroad, and I can't stop recommending this one enough:

https://ahumadoras.com/product/parrilla-portatil/

Image



Nice kit....but if you know Cape town....firepits and similar braais to that are decorations .

I think these were designed by an Argentine company...they are becoming popular

http://www.grillworksusa.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30030
Sards wrote:

I think these were designed by an Argentine company...they are becoming popular

http://www.grillworksusa.com

Ridiculous pricing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10005
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Foil will work.

70 degrees is too hot.


Doing that mushroom sauce again. But missus is going to use Shimeji mushrooms because it's got a great earthy taste...and she has fallen for them lately


Try it with Psilocybe mushrooms if you can get. Makes a huge difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Foil will work.

70 degrees is too hot.


Doing that mushroom sauce again. But missus is going to use Shimeji mushrooms because it's got a great earthy taste...and she has fallen for them lately

Now you have to be careful with the honey. They go quite sweet when you cook them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35653
Location: Innie Kaap
saffer13 wrote:
Sards wrote:

I think these were designed by an Argentine company...they are becoming popular

http://www.grillworksusa.com

Ridiculous pricing.


They really are overpriced. But it is an exclusive product...

I have made a few when I first saw it . Was curious. I actually made one for the Steakhouse of the year 2017 and if you follow the restaurant on fb you often see them posting picks of the chef working on it.....

When we did the costings we were shocked at how cheap they are to make.

It's the same with my Diablo...we sell for 40 k to the end user...the comparative unit imported from Italy comes in at about 250k


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15857
sorCrer wrote:
Sards wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Sards wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I wrap the meat in tinfoil while it is standing.


yeah that was in the link I posted. I have everything set up to give T bone and Rib eye a bash tonight using that process. I was just concerned about the resting for the same time you cook. 10 minutes is a long time to rest...I have a warming area on my Diablo....but I haven't checked but suspect its hotter than 40.....probably around 70....but that's almost cooking again.


Foil will work.

70 degrees is too hot.


Doing that mushroom sauce again. But missus is going to use Shimeji mushrooms because it's got a great earthy taste...and she has fallen for them lately


Try it with Psilocybe mushrooms if you can get. Makes a huge difference.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, Bing [Bot], Birdy, Bokkom, camroc1, Dairymilk, ElementFreak, feckwanker, flaggETERNAL, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, obelixtim, Shrekles, Silvio Berlusconi, Snooze, zt1903 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group