Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:26 pm 

Chilli wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Chilli wrote:
The old I had a friend but now he is dead defence? :roll: :uhoh:

Do you really need to see his papers ? Care to contact his family and the Belgian embassy ? Want to see a photo of his grave ? See the obituary in the newspapers ?

Goeie fok, deesdae se jongmense het geen respek nie, nie eens vir hulself nie.

Have you lost your sense of humour along with your eyesight?

Dunno. Maybe. He was a dear old man. Harmless and good.

Apologies if overly .. sensitive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:51 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Chilli wrote:
The old I had a friend but now he is dead defence? :roll: :uhoh:

Do you really need to see his papers ? Care to contact his family and the Belgian embassy ? Want to see a photo of his grave ? See the obituary in the newspapers ?

Goeie fok, deesdae se jongmense het geen respek nie, nie eens vir hulself nie.

Have you lost your sense of humour along with your eyesight?

Dunno. Maybe. He was a dear old man. Harmless and good.

Apologies if overly .. sensitive.

In my haste to post I read that AJ posted about the Belgian Chef, not you.

It is I who has to apologise.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 am 

I never posted about any fokkon Belgian. My brother was a chef, well he still is but he has his own place now. He hardly ever cooked at any of the establishments he worked at and he never cleaned the fokkon kitchen. That's what kitchen staff is for I was told. He just checks the quality of the food leaving the kitchen and makes sure the fokkers follow his recipe’s. He cooked at home though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:44 am 

Average Joe wrote:
I never posted about any fokkon Belgian. My brother was a chef, well he still is but he has his own place now. He hardly ever cooked at any of the establishments he worked at and he never cleaned the fokkon kitchen. That's what kitchen staff is for I was told. He just checks the quality of the food leaving the kitchen and makes sure the fokkers follow his recipe’s. He cooked at home though.

Lazy oke hey.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:58 am 

No he's not, he has a job and its hard but telling us chefs are sweating in the kitchen making fokkon Cesar’s salads and washing plates is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Most modern kitchens have a dishwasher anyways. Fok I have one at home and I'm not ashamed of it. Man can go to the moon in a day and you expect us to still wash dishes by hand?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:05 am 

Average Joe wrote:
No he's not, he has a job and its hard but telling us chefs are sweating in the kitchen making fokkon Cesar’s salads and washing plates is the funniest thing I've ever heard. Most modern kitchens have a dishwasher anyways. Fok I have one at home and I'm not ashamed of it. Man can go to the moon in a day and you expect us to still wash dishes by hand?

Why not ? Nothing as aesthetically pleasing as the sound of a clean glass whistling under your finger ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

Why not ? Nothing as aesthetically pleasing as the sound of a clean glass whistling under your finger ...

You old timers have a lot of time on your hands. I have a young family with two girls, a 7 year old and a 3 year old (little monster). I love my wife and don’t want her to work herself to death, she’s an artsy type any whose. They don’t do well with order.

My glasses come out clean as a whistle and I have borehole water. It’s about your water quality, what to add and how much to rectify the problem, how you set it up and pack it. Never over pack it and never put dishes in with little bits of food still on/in them. Give your dishes a quick rinse off under a tap before packing them. Decent restaurants have a pressure nozzle next to their washers. A clean machine with the right water washes clean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 am 

Average Joe wrote:
Man can go to the moon in a day and you expect us to still wash dishes by hand?

3 days..... same time as Van Zyl clears from the base of a ruck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:00 am 

Geez. Certain people have the same sense of humour as DDA's ball retention skill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 am 

Cooking outside and washing dishes is serious business mate, not something to be taken lightly and certainly no laughing matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
Man can go to the moon in a day and you expect us to still wash dishes by hand?

3 days..... same time as Van Zyl clears from the base of a ruck.

It depends.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am 

Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

You old timers have a lot of time on your hands. I have a young family with two girls, a 7 year old and a 3 year old (little monster). I love my wife and don’t want her to work herself to death, she’s an artsy type any whose. They don’t do well with order.

My glasses come out clean as a whistle and I have borehole water. It’s about your water quality, what to add and how much to rectify the problem, how you set it up and pack it. Never over pack it and never put dishes in with little bits of food still on/in them. Give your dishes a quick rinse off under a tap before packing them. Decent restaurants have a pressure nozzle next to their washers. A clean machine with the right water washes clean.

Stop beating around the bush. She's just lazy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 am 

handyman wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

Stop beating around the bush. She's just lazy.

:lol: Nah she's always busy. Photography, art workshops and all that. She's also a brilliant mother.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:40 am 

Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

I work from 06:00 till 19:00. And have a (foster) grandchild of 5 yo intimately involved in my household. As well as other people I care for. I wash, cook, clean and make bed, in the house, my wife is indisposed atm. And make time for my own stuff, as well.
Old does not mean sit on your arse all day long ..and one can live decently, even when old.

I have to use Magalies Water Board water, dirty as fudge, full of effluent of several squatter camps and informal settlements. Have to boil everything. Or bring in borehole water from the farm (which I do mostly, these days) I hate unnecessary dirt and germs ...

Having old style values is no disgrace - see all the people cooking over ope fires and in cast iron skillets, before you judge. They could be modern shitheads that prefer to order their sushi ready made (in bulk, probably) Probably reckon a Roman's pizza or Mac burger is a work of art , culinary delight ... x(

Old school is best. A few thousand years of humanity has proven that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 am 

Chilli wrote:
Geez. Certain people have the same sense of humour as DDA's ball retention skill.

C'mon. We cannot all be silly Sarels.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:01 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

I work from 06:00 till 19:00. And have a (foster) grandchild of 5 yo intimately involved in my household. As well as other people I care for. I wash, cook, clean and make bed, in the house, my wife is indisposed atm. And make time for my own stuff, as well.
Old does not mean sit on your arse all day long ..and one can live decently, even when old.

I have to use Magalies Water Board water, dirty as fudge, full of effluent of several squatter camps and informal settlements. Have to boil everything. Or bring in borehole water from the farm (which I do mostly, these days) I hate unnecessary dirt and germs ...

Having old style values is no disgrace - see all the people cooking over ope fires and in cast iron skillets, before you judge. They could be modern shitheads that prefer to order their sushi ready made (in bulk, probably) Probably reckon a Roman's pizza or Mac burger is a work of art , culinary delight ... x(

Old school is best. A few thousand years of humanity has proven that.

Next time you consider buying a new car go old school cause it's mos the best.

There are many old ways I like but you cant argue that technology has made a lot of things better, faster and easer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:39 am 

Ja. Modern technology.

I am sitting here with a Honda ignition lock on my desk. Three years old, the lock is worn out. A friend has a year old Nissan Qashqai with the same problem. And another friend a five year old Mercedes Benz dittto. And you cannot (or scarcely) even work on those cars. Greedy pirates. Modern shit - they design to break.

In 1977 I bought a Mercedes Benz 280SE. Part of the owner's manual was instructions on how to do lube services, pick up handbrake cables, etc. etc. Basic DIY stuff. Nowadays yo have to go to the dealer to fokken sneeze. The other day I saw a similar 1977 model MB still chugging along gracefully. Incomparable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Ja. Modern technology.

I am sitting here with a Honda ignition lock on my desk. Three years old, the lock is worn out. A friend has a year old Nissan Qashqai with the same problem. And another friend a five year old Mercedes Benz dittto. And you cannot (or scarcely) even work on those cars. Greedy pirates. Modern shit - they design to break.

In 1977 I bought a Mercedes Benz 280SE. Part of the owner's manual was instructions on how to do lube services, pick up handbrake cables, etc. etc. Basic DIY stuff. Nowadays yo have to go to the dealer to fokken sneeze. The other day I saw a similar 1977 model MB still chugging along gracefully. Incomparable.

That's why I buy Toyota and/or Isuzu. You cannot break them if you try.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 am 

Interestingly, my grandmother (a survivor of the British concentration camps) referred to braaivleis as "poor whites' food" Or even another, more perjorative term that will have Nipper spinning in his grave, but that was the way they talked, those days ...

These days it is luxury food.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Ja. Modern technology.

We're in the market for buying a car. Seriously considering getting a 25 year old Land Rover Defender. They are the only cars that seem to survive the harsh environment here. Will also be fun patching it up on weekends.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am 

handyman wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Ja. Modern technology.

Driven Isuzu my whole life. Many many many of them.
They break, too .... I started several with a screwdriver :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:59 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
handyman wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Ja. Modern technology.

Driven Isuzu my whole life. Many many many of them.
They break, too .... I started several with a screwdriver :lol:

There's your problem, always use the key.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:14 am 

Average Joe wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Average Joe wrote:

AJ if you have a busy household like I had , me and my Mrs best quality time was and still is in the kitchen. Sy was die skottelgoed , ek droog af. She make food (I love making food but she always complain about the load of skottelgoed I leave scattered around the kitchen), I'll make a salad. When my kids were small , we had a Tupperware cupboard, that keep tudler very busy. Kombuis is n bymekaarkom plek.

My daughter is also an artsy type of person. Making food is an art Boet, the artsy type hate book keeping or admin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:12 pm 

OomPB wrote:
AJ if you have a busy household like I had , me and my Mrs best quality time was and still is in the kitchen. Sy was die skottelgoed , ek droog af. She make food (I love making food but she always complain about the load of skottelgoed I leave scattered around the kitchen), I'll make a salad. When my kids were small , we had a Tupperware cupboard, that keep tudler very busy. Kombuis is n bymekaarkom plek.

My daughter is also an artsy type of person. Making food is an art Boet, the artsy type hate book keeping or admin.

My wife is a bookeeper (sort of like me) But I am also an arty type. Who love to cook.

Wife and I have splendid times in the kitchen, together, cooking. And I do most of ten cooking, then and now. Or even in the veld, walked out with a braai grid, a few chops and a bottle Cabernet in the rucksak. Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:15 pm 

OomPB wrote:

:lol: We have a lot of time for each other and we do the dishes together but there’s no need to wash by hand. I have the same problem as you in the kitchen. I love working there but the wife always complains about my mess. When we just started out we did the dishes by hand. I would end up having to mop the kitchen floor as well afterwards because I can’t wash without the water going everywhere. My wife does not let me cook in the house anymore because after I’m done there will be oil splatters and sous all over the place. A man’s cooking is done outside.

Like I said artsy types don’t do well with order. It takes a lot to keep her focused on neatness but not on cleanliness though. She strives in chaos and she’s a bit of a hoarder but she’s strict when it comes to being and living clean.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 pm 

Sounds like neither of you have any time to take her into the bedroom. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

We have our poerring in the kitchen. :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

It's not very classy to discus bedroom maters with anyone but I'll give you a tip for free. Foreplay starts in the kitchen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

AJ can take his own wife to the bedroom. I am quite busy, as it is, my wife takes most of my time .. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 pm 

In line with only the poor cooking outdoors some time ago, in New York the poor ate crabs and lobsters along with other bottom feeders which are considered luxury food today. The rich ate beef.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:30 pm 

Fangle wrote:
In line with only the poor cooking outdoors some time ago, in New York the poor ate crabs and lobsters along with other bottom feeders which are considered luxury food today. The rich ate beef.

It's considered the height of working class shame for middle class Chinese people to get a suntan on holiday. So they wear full-face swimsuits on the beach. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm 

Fangle wrote:

In South Africa lobster tails were used as fish bait. Or ground up for fishmeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:15 pm 

assfly wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Ja. Modern technology.

We're in the market for buying a car. Seriously considering getting a 25 year old Land Rover Defender. They are the only cars that seem to survive the harsh environment here. Will also be fun patching it up on weekends.

Land rover parts are very very expensive. Was glad to get rid of mine .... was smiling when the bloke handed over the cash . Although it got me through a great trip to Namibia. Mind my Mitsubishi handled the beaches there just as well....with a lot more space and comfort

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:20 pm 

Sards wrote:
Land rover parts are very very expensive. Was glad to get rid of mine .... was smiling when the bloke handed over the cash . Although it got me through a great trip to Namibia. Mind my Mitsubishi handled the beaches there just as well....with a lot more space and comfort

Parts are cheap here. Probably because the police are continually phasing them out and they're being stripped for parts. Still a better option than the crappy Jap imports that are totally ill-suited for this place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:22 pm 

assfly wrote:
Sards wrote:

Parts are cheap here. Probably because the police are continually phasing them out and they're being stripped for parts. Still a better option than the crappy Jap imports that are totally ill-suited for this place.

Cant fault their ability on rough roads and sand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm 

Landies are good, if you can keep them on the road. Assfly might have something, there, will keep him interested and busy. Land Rovers are made to tinker with (the older ones).

Pajeros are fine, underrated vehicles. Parts are a bit scarce here, though, the older ones can be fun to rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:44 pm 

Now that we've finally settled in the new place and have a good amount of yard space to work with the plans for the next braai are underway. I've decided to go with three.
1 - A regular traditional brick braai close to the back porch
2 - A nice basic stone fire pit up on in the yard under the trees for camp fire and the spit
3 - A "portable" half-drum braai to move onto the front driveway while the kids are running wild in the neighborhood. Perfect for the upcoming Halloween night. I'll braai and sip whiskey while the little bastards go collect sweets from the neighbors.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 am 

Fire pits and brick braais are common, you should get good plans on the 'net. Or buy one of Sard's.

For a half drum braai you can always substitute by using the stainless steel drum of a washing machine or the interior of a hot water geyser or an old compressor cylinder. Many permutations, a bit of work and a little imagination can deliver some quite good results.

Add-ons like rotisseries and adjustable height grills and levers and pulleys and wheels all make things more interesting, and complicated.
These days I use Sards' portable stainless steel braai with few frills - a sturdy, solid machine that looks quite presentable, cleans easy and deliver a very good service. Little more one can ask.

Thanks again, Sardyntjie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm 

Meat. Real meat. Prepared deliciously (Sards, Chilli - take note ! A beef "porchetta")

Food for the gods....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfuKF4uENc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Meat. Real meat. Prepared deliciously (Sards, Chilli - take note ! A beef "porchetta")

Food for the gods....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfuKF4uENc

I could smash that.

Pity that they don't season the meat, or rub herbs into it as they go along.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9