Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25551
Location: Stellenbosch
Boobejaansberg has been flooded. Their biggest Springbok rugby factory, gone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiBuxGffUac


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
Grandchildren are still at Klein Monnas, so they can still practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15978
Geez it is hot here today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19773
There is also a drought here in south west London, hasn't rained now for 7 or maybe even 8 minutes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2903
Leker ding


http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3AWindhoek-draught-can.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
Aye. Lekker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25551
Location: Stellenbosch
Chilli wrote:
Geez it is hot here today.

38 today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
Bugger all rain. Gauteng and the Free State get it all.

Our farmers face major problems, this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15978
Bloody hot here again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16277
Been raining solidly since early last night.

Swimming pool is overflowing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
It is overcast and warm (early thirties) here, with humidity of 90% plus. It has been this way for a while. Sticky, clammy weather, like Durbs. One can almost smell the rotten bananas and half-eaten mangos.

NO rain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25551
Location: Stellenbosch
Oom Toffee, is jy nog droog?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11979
Location: Hamilton. NZ
About 10 mms rain here all summer. Temps quite mild but the bloody wind has blown all summer. It's drier than a witches tit here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
OomPB wrote:
Oom Toffee, is jy nog droog?



Nee. Dit rëen lekker hier, gister 'n vinnige 75mm. Ons kry so 'n bietjie spoelskade, maar die damme kry darem ook so 'n bietjie water ons benodig baie. Ons is dankbaar.

Die droogte is nog hier, maar sekere manne sal darem vanjaar 'n oes afhaal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
enzedder01 wrote:
About 10 mms rain here all summer. Temps quite mild but the bloody wind has blown all summer. It's drier than a witches tit here.



We've had our first decent rains, signs that the drought might perhaps be broken this summer. Some flood damage occurs, but we are still thankful for any rain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11979
Location: Hamilton. NZ
Yep - our farmers would happily take an 80+ mm storm right now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
enzedder01 wrote:
Yep - our farmers would happily take an 80+ mm storm right now.



We had close to that, last night ! :lol: One heck of a noise , an electric storm, etc, etc.

It is late in summer, we have to prepare for winter. Rain is welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6634
Location: Bloemfontein
Nice and green in the Free State for a change. The mielies (maze) are looking good, even the crops that was planted late.

It's starting to get nippy in the evenings, so I suspect a cold winter. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
DraadkarD wrote:
Nice and green in the Free State for a change. The mielies (maze) are looking good, even the crops that was planted late.

It's starting to get nippy in the evenings, so I suspect a cold winter. :(



It is normally a cold winter when the rain is so late. We had frost last year, something we are not used to.

Hell, Pretoria even had a few snowflakes !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25551
Location: Stellenbosch
DraadkarD wrote:
It's starting to get nippy in the evenings, so I suspect a cold winter. :(

Being on honeymoon I suppose you wont mind a few nice nipples. :D "binneboudweer"

today we have a bit of cool. Not enough to keep me from braaiing.

One thing I notice between Paarl and Stellenbosch, much colder altho only 30kms apart.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3913
OomPB wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
It's starting to get nippy in the evenings, so I suspect a cold winter. :(

Being on honeymoon I suppose you wont mind a few nice nipples. :D "binneboudweer"

today we have a bit of cool. Not enough to keep me from braaiing.

One thing I notice between Paarl and Stellenbosch, much colder altho only 30kms apart.


Love braaing in the winter. Think the coldest I did was -2 Celsius.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
Heavy rains and storms predicted for the weekend.

We will eat stew, I suppose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6634
Location: Bloemfontein
Heavy rain here in Bloem.

Oom WT, are you still okay? I see it's pouring down in Limpopo.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15978
We need some of that rain in Slaapstad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3913
Chilli wrote:
We need some of that rain in Slaapstad.



Well you guys have winter rainfall. Always trying to be different.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15978
hedogbrother wrote:
Chilli wrote:
We need some of that rain in Slaapstad.



Well you guys have winter rainfall. Always trying to be different.

It has to do with the Mountain dude.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
DraadkarD wrote:
Heavy rain here in Bloem.

Oom WT, are you still okay? I see it's pouring down in Limpopo.



Hi Draad. Ja I am OK, just wet, wish I could say the same for everybody here.

A dam broke at Thaba Monate, and flooded the lower lying Klein Kariba resort - lots of damage, two people drowned. One still missing, last I knew. Lots of damage lower down as well, for many kilometers. Workshops and houses flooded, cars swept away, etc.

Still raining, intermittently, water pouring from the hillsides, dams are filling. We are still glad for the water.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 4224
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Heavy rain here in Bloem.

Oom WT, are you still okay? I see it's pouring down in Limpopo.



Hi Draad. Ja I am OK, just wet, wish I could say the same for everybody here.

A dam broke at Thaba Monate, and flooded the lower lying Klein Kariba resort - lots of damage, two people drowned. One still missing, last I knew. Lots of damage lower down as well, for many kilometers. Workshops and houses flooded, cars swept away, etc.

Still raining, intermittently, water pouring from the hillsides, dams are filling. We are still glad for the water.


Ek dag jy't gese jy bly nou in n flat te Menlyn of so iets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6634
Location: Bloemfontein
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Heavy rain here in Bloem.

Oom WT, are you still okay? I see it's pouring down in Limpopo.



Hi Draad. Ja I am OK, just wet, wish I could say the same for everybody here.

A dam broke at Thaba Monate, and flooded the lower lying Klein Kariba resort - lots of damage, two people drowned. One still missing, last I knew. Lots of damage lower down as well, for many kilometers. Workshops and houses flooded, cars swept away, etc.

Still raining, intermittently, water pouring from the hillsides, dams are filling. We are still glad for the water.


Yes, It was on the news this morning.Tragic :(

Did not know it was Klein Kariba.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6634
Location: Bloemfontein
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
DraadkarD wrote:
Heavy rain here in Bloem.

Oom WT, are you still okay? I see it's pouring down in Limpopo.



Hi Draad. Ja I am OK, just wet, wish I could say the same for everybody here.

A dam broke at Thaba Monate, and flooded the lower lying Klein Kariba resort - lots of damage, two people drowned. One still missing, last I knew. Lots of damage lower down as well, for many kilometers. Workshops and houses flooded, cars swept away, etc.

Still raining, intermittently, water pouring from the hillsides, dams are filling. We are still glad for the water.


Yes, It was on the news this morning.Tragic :(

Did not know it was Klein Kariba.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11979
Location: Hamilton. NZ
Still warm and dry here - but we have hopes for a tropical storm heading south for the weekend. Hope we can get lots of rain with not too much damage

Quote:
MICHAEL FIELD
Last updated 14:28 11/03/2014
Share
0
The big dry afflicting the upper half of the North Island could be about to end, thanks to Cyclone Lusi.

"It's got a good lump of rain with it," MetService meteorologist Daniel Corbett said today.

Lusi reached a category-one storm level near Vanuatu this morning as it sucked in power from the Pacific Ocean, that is at a bath-like 30 degrees Celsius in the region.

Various weather forecasting models have Lusi developing into a powerful category-three cyclone and swinging south, straight toward New Zealand.

Corbett said it would start to lose strength in the cooler waters near New Zealand, but would still pack a punch.

"It will be a windy old beast," he said.

Heavy tropical rains are expected late Friday and Saturday over dry Northland and Auckland, and depending on its course, Waikato is in for a dumping too.

"There is always the danger of so much rain so quickly causing flooding," Corbett said.

Late-season cyclones have been deadly in New Zealand in the past.

On April 10, 1968, Cyclone Giselle slammed into Wellington, sinking the inter-island ferry Wahine with the loss of 52 lives.

On March 8, 1988, Cyclone Bola produced some of the heaviest rainfalls ever recorded in New Zealand and caused extensive destruction on the North Island's East Coast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15978
They are opening the 8th sluice gate at the Vaal dam, expect flooding down river.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
Average Joe wrote:

Ek dag jy't gese jy bly nou in n flat te Menlyn of so iets.



Bela Bela (Warmbad).
'n Meenthuis (eintlike seker maar 'n flat, net baie duurder ?)
Vakansiedorpie, met al die sondes en probleme van 'n dorp. Platteland ....

Ek sal wragtag nooit in 'n stad kan bly nie. Ek moet steeds elke kort-kort uit plaas toe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
enzedder01 wrote:
Still warm and dry here - but we have hopes for a tropical storm heading south for the weekend. Hope we can get lots of rain with not too much damage

Quote:
MICHAEL FIELD
Last updated 14:28 11/03/2014
Share
0
The big dry afflicting the upper half of the North Island could be about to end, thanks to Cyclone Lusi.

"It's got a good lump of rain with it," MetService meteorologist Daniel Corbett said today.

Lusi reached a category-one storm level near Vanuatu this morning as it sucked in power from the Pacific Ocean, that is at a bath-like 30 degrees Celsius in the region.

Various weather forecasting models have Lusi developing into a powerful category-three cyclone and swinging south, straight toward New Zealand.

Corbett said it would start to lose strength in the cooler waters near New Zealand, but would still pack a punch.

"It will be a windy old beast," he said.

Heavy tropical rains are expected late Friday and Saturday over dry Northland and Auckland, and depending on its course, Waikato is in for a dumping too.

"There is always the danger of so much rain so quickly causing flooding," Corbett said.

Late-season cyclones have been deadly in New Zealand in the past.

On April 10, 1968, Cyclone Giselle slammed into Wellington, sinking the inter-island ferry Wahine with the loss of 52 lives.

On March 8, 1988, Cyclone Bola produced some of the heaviest rainfalls ever recorded in New Zealand and caused extensive destruction on the North Island's East Coast.



Well, we are over 50% of our annual rainfall, since January . The developments in your area seems ominous.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3913
Mail floating around with pics from Klein Kariba. Pretty bad.

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3913
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30450
A quick "drought" search pulled this thread up...not sure if there is a more recent one but great news is that people from my home town (Graaff-Reinet) in the Eastern Cape have been posting videos for the past few days of the rivers around town flowing furiously after some heavy rains....dams getting all that water. Hopefully that's a good sign and the WC gets some love soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:16 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 14704
Drought broken?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31914
No. That was 2014. We still have a spell o go, for most of the country.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30450
CrazyIslander wrote:
Drought broken?


My post above just revived an old thread. Everything before my post was 2014.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4071, BBC 2, Bing [Bot], CrazyIslander, earl the beaver, EverReady, fatcat, happyhooker, iarmhiman, jdogscoop, lorcanoworms, Lorthern Nights, Masterji, Mr Fedora, MungoMan, Sards, sockwithaticket, tabascoboy, theaxe, TheBouncer, Womack, ZappaMan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group