Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

I love seeing old war pics and the modern locations side-by-side ... also, I would NOT want to be crew in one of these 'armoured' scout cars, especially where the driver sits. Imagine even a light cannon round would open it up like a tin can!

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm 

kiap wrote:
Colour key might be the year.

---

Surprised I've never seen this before. I'm not sure if I'd rather see the full bodies of the couple or keep the focus on the little one. Reminiscent of the boy chasing the marching column of Canucks ...

... looking for that, found this, which I'll wager is contemporary colour, not colourised.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:42 pm 

Quote:
Major Dick Winters, Captain Lewis Nixon & Lieutenant Harry Welsh. Austria, 1945

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:13 pm 

I've seen this photo before and, usually contrary to the way Hollywood casting works, thought the real-life men were better looking than the actors portraying them. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:34 pm 

A sad farewell this week to Mr Bill Speakman VC, who has passed away peacefully aged 91

Mr Speakman won his Victoria Cross, as a 24 year old Private soldier in the Black Watch; fighting off attacks from 600 Chinese and North Korean soldiers, in an action lasting over four hours.

In November 1951, in a position near over run by the enemy, Pte Speakman filled his pockets with grenades, and led six men in a series of charges. His actions broke up several enemy attacks, inflicting heavy casualties, he continued to lead charges despite a shrapnel wound in his leg. His bravery and leadership kept the enemy at bay long enough to enable his company to safely withdraw.

“It was hand-to-hand; there was no time to pull back the bolt of the rifle. It was November, the ground was hard, so grenades bounced and did damage.”

Mr Speakman received his Victoria Cross from Queen Elizabeth II, the first she was to award. It was reported that having run out of grenades Private Speakman began throwing beer bottles at the enemy, causing some to refer to him as ‘the Beer Bottle VC’.

Mr Speakman went on to serve with the SAS, and eventually retired to the Royal Hospital Chelsea. In 2015 he donated his Victoria Cross to the people of South Korea. He said at the time, "I'm not looking for glory. It's just a sensible thing to do. They can have my medals so future generations can look and see what it was all about."

Of his Victoria Cross he said; “It represents everyone who couldn't be here”

RIP. Forward the 42.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:00 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:02 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
A sad farewell this week to Mr Bill Speakman VC, who has passed away peacefully aged 91

Mr Speakman won his Victoria Cross, as a 24 year old Private soldier in the Black Watch; fighting off attacks from 600 Chinese and North Korean soldiers, in an action lasting over four hours.

In November 1951, in a position near over run by the enemy, Pte Speakman filled his pockets with grenades, and led six men in a series of charges. His actions broke up several enemy attacks, inflicting heavy casualties, he continued to lead charges despite a shrapnel wound in his leg. His bravery and leadership kept the enemy at bay long enough to enable his company to safely withdraw.

“It was hand-to-hand; there was no time to pull back the bolt of the rifle. It was November, the ground was hard, so grenades bounced and did damage.”

Mr Speakman received his Victoria Cross from Queen Elizabeth II, the first she was to award. It was reported that having run out of grenades Private Speakman began throwing beer bottles at the enemy, causing some to refer to him as ‘the Beer Bottle VC’.

Mr Speakman went on to serve with the SAS, and eventually retired to the Royal Hospital Chelsea. In 2015 he donated his Victoria Cross to the people of South Korea. He said at the time, "I'm not looking for glory. It's just a sensible thing to do. They can have my medals so future generations can look and see what it was all about."

Of his Victoria Cross he said; “It represents everyone who couldn't be here”

RIP. Forward the 42.

Av it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:32 pm 

Watching people eat rotten fish on the culinary delights thread led me to this Youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et ... eHA/videos

Some guy opening and examining vintage military ration kits. Actually very interesting.

Another interesting one I end up watching a fair bit is this

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons/featured

A guy talking about rare (and some not so rare) firearms through the ages. Often goes into a fair bit of detail on both their development and how they work. Again, pretty interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 pm 

There is a brazilian artist who colors old pictures by digital means and have done some remarkable work, right now she is colouring the faces of Auschwitz, you can follow her on twitter @marinamaral2.

But also, lifeguards at Coney Island 1900:
Spoiler: show

I have some books of her. :blush:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Watching people eat rotten fish on the culinary delights thread led me to this Youtube channel

Some guy opening and examining vintage military ration kits. Actually very interesting.

A guy talking about rare (and some not so rare) firearms through the ages. Often goes into a fair bit of detail on both their development and how they work. Again, pretty interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

C&Rsenal are worth a look too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 pm 

julian wrote:
There is a brazilian artist who colors old pictures by digital means and have done some remarkable work, right now she is colouring the faces of Auschwitz, you can follow her on twitter @marinamaral2.

There's something disturbingly "normal" about those pictures.
As opposed to the traditional black 'n' white images which are so clearly set in the past.

A subtle reminder that mass de-humanisation isn't just history.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
julian wrote:

There's something disturbingly "normal" about those pictures.
As opposed to the traditional black 'n' white images which are so clearly set in the past.

A subtle reminder that mass de-humanisation isn't just history.

Disturbing images. The work Amaral is doing is remarkable not only in artistic terms but also to put in "actual" terms those old pics.

More of those pics here: https://facesofauschwitz.com/

If you like this kind of work I recommend you "The Colour of Time".

https://www.amazon.com/Colour-Time-History-World-1850-1960/dp/1786692686/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529679331&sr=8-1&keywords=the+color+of+time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:41 am 

Laurent wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

C&Rsenal are worth a look too

Cheers, will give it a look.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 pm 

From a facebook page dedicated to colourised WW1 photos:

https://www.facebook.com/ww1incolour/ph ... =3&theater

Papier mache heads to bait snipers. Never head of this!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 pm 

new on gutenberg - Diary Kept by Rifleman B.C. Stubbs of the Second Draft Sent to the Queen Victoria Rifles in France

grim stuff but with some gentle humour

Quote:
On Sunday the 28th I wrote the Germans are not much good with their shells. I now beg their pardon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:49 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

I can see why they went back to the drawing board and come up with the Focke Wulf :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 pm 

Last week, my father was invited and transported to Wolverhampton for a reunion of surviving bomber crew from WWII. He was supposed to have been flown up by a volunteer but due to weather he was transported by car. It was all run by volunteers who raise funds and transport the veterans, free of charge from all over the country. They call themselves the Propeller Club and use their own private planes weather allowing. The organiser came on to my father as he was leaving and surprised my father by knowing all his record with the RAF. He also told him he was the oldest veteran attending. He`ll be 99 in September.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:36 pm 

GWO2 wrote:
Last week, my father was invited and transported to Wolverhampton for a reunion of surviving bomber crew from WWII. He was supposed to have been flown up by a volunteer but due to weather he was transported by car. It was all run by volunteers who raise funds and transport the veterans, free of charge from all over the country. They call themselves the Propeller Club and use their own private planes weather allowing. The organiser came on to my father as he was leaving and surprised my father by knowing all his record with the RAF. He also told him he was the oldest veteran attending. He`ll be 99 in September.

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:41 pm 

frillage wrote:
GWO2 wrote:

:shock:

He may be coming up to 99, but, if anyone tried that he`d deck them. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:20 am 

julian wrote:

I have some books of her. :blush:

Red Triangle for Communists, etc...these photos have haunted me for a while now, she's the spitting image of a girl I know... :((

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm 

Quote:
B-17 Bomber Pilot in WW2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 am 

Quote:
John Singer Sargent - Heads, Hands, and Figure (also known as Studies for 'Gassed'), charcoal, probably 1918

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:00 am 

Ypres Salient

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25