Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18987
Shrekles wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


That appears to be a fairly rare Lanc - twin .50s in the tail instead of a quad .303 turret.

My grandfather was a tail gunner in a Lancaster. My dad's got a few similar pics knocking around. One of his crew members was quite a talented artist and there's a few charcoal sketches of raids hanging on my dad's walls.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5211
Shrekles wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


That appears to be a fairly rare Lanc - twin .50s in the tail instead of a quad .303 turret.


its an avro lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16041
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
Ah-hah. Was looking at it again and thinking the nose looks wrong. Was that a forerunner to the Lancaster?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23768
Location: Middle East
Calculus wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


That appears to be a fairly rare Lanc - twin .50s in the tail instead of a quad .303 turret.


its an avro lincoln


Good spot. It was developed from the Lancaster wasn't it? Late model Lancs had twin .50s in the rear, not sure if they retrofitted earlier ones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16041
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
Just Googled. Yeah derived from the Lancaster not the other way as I had surmised. Didn't see active WW2 service apparently. The Googling also turned up something I never realised: the RAF flew B29s in the post war pre-Canberra era. Loaners from USA which they designated Boeing Washingtons. Never heard of that aircraft name before...


Last edited by redderneck on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm
Posts: 2991
backrow wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


where is that ? anyone know ?



Just checked with my father, it was over Scarborough in 1950


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Twitter feed of historical Generals pointing to the porcelain:
https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/sta ... 8992570369


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
1919 - Harlem Hellfighters wearing Croix de Guerre

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18687
GWO2 wrote:
backrow wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


where is that ? anyone know ?



Just checked with my father, it was over Scarborough in 1950


Ta - always fascinated by ‘then and now’ type pics, sadly when I googled Scarborough from the air I couldn’t recognise anything. It amuses me how some places look virtually the same 50 or 100 years later, but other places unrecognisable even from say 30 years back .

Perhaps someone who knows Scarborough can pick out some buildings there ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 287
backrow wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
backrow wrote:
GWO2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
That stunning Lanc pic is crying out for a cheeky photos hop of an "F" immediately between the roundel and the "A"...!!!

Great, great shot.



Another, he has a set of four.

Image


where is that ? anyone know ?



Just checked with my father, it was over Scarborough in 1950


Ta - always fascinated by ‘then and now’ type pics, sadly when I googled Scarborough from the air I couldn’t recognise anything. It amuses me how some places look virtually the same 50 or 100 years later, but other places unrecognisable even from say 30 years back .

Cleethorpes Pier just south of Grimsby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Quote:
Men of 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853-1856


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 2934
The Original Thin Red Line


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23768
Location: Middle East
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Quote:
Men of 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853-1856


Image


Damn. Those eyes have seen some shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5686
Turbogoat wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Quote:
Men of 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853-1856


Image


Damn. Those eyes have seen some shit.

And are not going to take any more...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23768
Location: Middle East
Image

Crewman with balls of steel climbing up on the fuel tank to rescue the stricken pilot. (Apparently successfully)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
That one's been colourized ...

Image


... as has this:

Spoiler: show
Image


One of the great moments I had working at a naval museum was the day I spent cataloguing items in the Naval Air room and having a carrier vet (we had a few post-war and into the 50s in Canada, HMCS Bonaventure, Warrior and Magnificent) explain to me the major terms, how landing works, how dangerous it was, and how things improved. Fascinating stuff!


Last edited by Nieghorn on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
The Original Thin Red Line

That was the Argylls. They're Seaforths.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6340
Shrekles wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Quote:
Men of 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853-1856


Image


Damn. Those eyes have seen some shit.

And are not going to take any more...


They are Scottish, they hadn’t even been to war yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
I'm now interested in the medals. Those of the man on the right are easier to see without the glare, and even if the colours aren't correct, I'm not spotting the pattern of the ribbon of the left one. The Crimean War medal has the same bar pattern, but is darker in the middle than outside and that'd surely show in the photo. The Conspicious Gallantry medal, I think, was awarded to naval personnel and only after 1874.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26293
Nieghorn wrote:
I'm now interested in the medals. Those of the man on the right are easier to see without the glare, and even if the colours aren't correct, I'm not spotting the pattern of the ribbon of the left one. The Crimean War medal has the same bar pattern, but is darker in the middle than outside and that'd surely show in the photo. The Conspicious Gallantry medal, I think, was awarded to naval personnel and only after 1874.

Going more on the shapes of the ribbon and medal attachments than the colours, perhaps: Victoria Medal with "SEBASTOPOL" bar; and Turkish Crimea medal ...

Image

Dunno


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
I think you've nailed it! I just thought that even with a colourisation the middle of that ribbon would appear darker than the outside?

I've seen a couple of those Crimean War medals (and several more 'colonial wars' ones through to the Boer War) in person when I worked at a museum. Beautiful things! I especially like the clasps that indicate campaigns, which I am pretty sure was discontinued in WW1 (though the Yanks continued ...the museum has one with 13 clasps on it!).

Some of the 'British' ones ... (and, yes, that's my gloved hand)

South African War
Image

Ashantee
Image

Khedive's Sudan Medal, 1897
Image

Indian General Service (guess I was technically wrong about them not using clasps after WWI)
Image

China War Medal (Boxer Rebellion)
Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23768
Location: Middle East
Nieghorn wrote:
That one's been colourized ...

Image


... as has this:

Spoiler: show
Image


One of the great moments I had working at a naval museum was the day I spent cataloguing items in the Naval Air room and having a carrier vet (we had a few post-war and into the 50s in Canada, HMCS Bonaventure, Warrior and Magnificent) explain to me the major terms, how landing works, how dangerous it was, and how things improved. Fascinating stuff!


Not always a fan of the colorized versions, some efforts are pretty good though.
That second pic is incredible though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26293
Nieghorn wrote:
Some of the 'British' ones ... (and, yes, that's my gloved hand)

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1318
Never previously aware of "Fenian raid" but apparently it was into Canada from the US & there were 5 incidents apparently between 1866 & 1871.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 4046
Location: Not America.....Fuck Yeah?
Portcullis Irish wrote:
Never previously aware of "Fenian raid" but apparently it was into Canada from the US & there were 5 incidents apparently between 1866 & 1871.




pffft too easy of a battle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
hornets wrote:
Portcullis Irish wrote:
Never previously aware of "Fenian raid" but apparently it was into Canada from the US & there were 5 incidents apparently between 1866 & 1871.




pffft too easy of a battle



Yep, and sadly, the way our school curriculum is laid out, we get it - if you have a half-decent teacher - in upper elementary / middle school when you typically don't have as great an appreciation for interesting military events.

From memory, it was an Irish-American attempt to hold Britain to ransom over Ireland. Yeah, that was always going to work ... :roll:

Funny coverage in The Dollop: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/106-the-fenian-raids

Paintings:

Spoiler: show
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3882
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Twitter feed of historical Generals pointing to the porcelain:
https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/sta ... 8992570369

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19880
Location: balbriggan
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Twitter feed of historical Generals pointing to the porcelain:
https://twitter.com/SocialHistoryOx/sta ... 8992570369

:lol:

https://twitter.com/WesternTechLax/stat ... 6527967234

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2985
Location: Switzerland
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Quote:
Men of 72 Highlanders who served in the Crimea: William Noble, Alexander Davison and John Harper, 1853-1856


Image

The Seaforth Hipsters?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
Unsurprisingly, the Finns recruited Donner, Blitzen, et al into the war effort ...

Image

Quite a few more from Finland in this: http://www.vintag.es/2018/01/finland-in ... ar-ii.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18687
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
Image

Snipers if the 9th Battalion, Black Watch at Arras 1917.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Quote:
Some never before seen WW1 pictures found in an attic...

https://www.reddit.com/r/history/commen ... und_in_an/

Image

https://imgur.com/a/gp8Mh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26293
This may only be slightly relevant to the military ... but what's the story with these hat straps?

Image

They look fucking stupid.

I mean they look stupid anyway, but the nose gear tops it off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23768
Location: Middle East
kiap wrote:
This may only be slightly relevant to the military ... but what's the story with these hat straps?

Image

They look fucking stupid.

I mean they look stupid anyway, but the nose gear tops it off.


They ran out of fake moustaches.

(Used to be bigger and heavier, and intended to provide some facial protection)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26293
^ Sounds like an urban legend ...

---
Moustache vs beard. Who wins outta these roosters?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21314
Location: Centre of the Universe
Image

Quote:
"Lt John ‘Jack’ Haberfield RNZNVR

Jack Haberfield of 1839 Squadron was shot-down during the Fleet Air Arm attacks on the Japanese held oil refineries at Palembang on Sumatra (Operation Meridian 1) on 24.1.45. 1839 Squadron was one of two fighter squadrons on Indomitable (the other being 1844 Squadron). Both were equipped with Hellcats. For the first attack on Palembang Indomitable supplied 16 Hellcats as part of the fighter escort for the Avenger bomber strike force (comprising 40 Avengers from Indefatigable, Victorious, Illustrious and Indomitable). The rest of the fighter escort was provided by 29 Corsairs from Illustrious and Victorious and 9 Fireflies from Indefatigable. A small ramrod sweep were also carried out on the Japanese airfield at Mana by a mixed force of 4 Avengers and 4 Hellcats, while Indefatigable’s Seafires flew CAP over the fleet.

The main attacking force and its fighter escort encountered enemy fighter opposition about fifteen miles away from Palembang. The British believed about 20 Japanese fighters attacked the force before it reached its target. Further Japanese attacks were carried out as the strike force of Avengers reformed and headed to the rendezvous point after the attack. Six Corsairs, one Hellcat and two Avengers failed to return from Meridian I, though not all of these were shot-down by fighters. An additional strike was made five days later on 29.1.45. A further two Corsairs, one Firefly and four Avengers failed to return from Meridian II.

Of these 16 British aircraft losses, 30 FAA personnel were either KiA or PoW (11 others had been picked up by destroyers from the fleet). Post-war it was learnt that of these 30 airmen, 9 were captured alive by the Japanese. One of these was ‘Jack’ Haberfield who was the pilot of the one Hellcat lost in the entire operation. The Admiralty reports do not record the serial or code of the Haberfield’s Hellcat. The 1839 Squadron Diary may record this information, and while it is definitely extant, it appears to be held privately, as it is not at TNA or the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

From the Admiralty reports it is known that Indomitable’s Hellcats were flying middle cover, 8 at the front and 8 at the back of the main strike force. Haberfield was leading one of these sections, but it is not known which one. From the Report of Lt Cdr T.W Harrington, who was Escort Leader, it is clear that the fighter escort was not well-disciplined after the strike force was attacked by Japanese fighters about 3 minutes from the target, “About half way through the attack I could see no top cover, three aircraft of middle cover, and the remaining aircraft engaged in dog-fights in and around the target area.” In the two Meridian Operations, Fleet Air Arm pilots claimed 30 Japanese aircraft destroyed in the air, plus another 7 probably destroyed, so the air fighting was clearly intense at times. The details of the loss of Haberfield’s Hellcat are scant. Indomitable’s Report tersely concluding that “the fate of the Hellcat is unknown”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18921
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1001 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4071, Armchair_Superstar, Bing [Bot], BokJock, camroc1, crash 669, Demilich, duke, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, Insane_Homer, irishrugbyua, Jensrsa, koroke hangareka, Laurent, Lenny, lorcanoworms, Margin_Walker, Mullet 2, Nolanator, obelixtim, Oxbow, Plato'sCave, Sandstorm, SASP, Snooze, Toro, UncleFB, Wilson's Toffee, WoodlandsRFC, Wylie Coyote and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group