Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 77  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 am 

He’s got barely any racing in his legs this season (something like 14 days coming into the Giro, if anything he needs the racing. Unless the injuries from the crash are genuinely a concern, I think he should stay to the Stage 9 TT, and have a proper crack at that.

I genuinely think he’s still a very good shot to finish on the podium. But fine, if he’s aiming for the top spot and nothing less, then yes, he could consider dropping out and focus on France. I still think even that would be a mistake.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/may/15/giro-ditalia-tom-dumoulin-abandons-on-stage-five-following-crash-cycling

The crashes yesterday were pretty spectacular. Dumoulin has quit. Interesting comments about Yates. Not so pretty the fact four riders are being investigated for abnormal test results

''Earlier, Mikel Landa apologised for calling Simon Yates “a retard” after a crash at the end of stage four. The Movistar rider was asked about one of the incidents and responded: “That f**king Yates, who is a retard and rides like crazy. He threw me into a roundabout.”

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 pm 

Some breakaway today. Looks like Valerio Conti will take the maglia rosa.

Pity about TD, would have been great to see him duke it out with Roglic.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:57 pm 

I think we’ll get more gc battles between Dumoulin and Roglic in the next couple of years. They’re basically the same age (Roglic is a year older, but took up cycling later).

In terms of this race, though, I can’t see Nibali or Yates being able to drop him uphill, certainly not to put enough time into him that he won’t recoup in the TTs. Also, Roglic has IMO the strongest squad around him.

I checked, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Jumbo-Visma squad in all its previous guises (Buckler, Superconfex, Rabobank, WordPerfect, Belkin etc) never actually won a Grant Tour. Great classics team, weak on gc.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:20 pm 

Denis Menchov won the Giro and the Vuelta with Rabo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm 

So he did. Forget I spoke.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 pm 

nardol wrote:
Denis Menchov won the Giro and the Vuelta with Rabo

were those not taken from him after admitting the juice?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm 

Been a mad week for UAE - two riders implicated in a doping scandal who are forced to withdraw from Giro and ToC, they lose Gaviria from the Giro, and they get two riders into the leaders jerseys in ToC and Giro.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:51 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Been a mad week for UAE - two riders implicated in a doping scandal who are forced to withdraw from Giro and ToC, they lose Gaviria from the Giro, and they get two riders into the leaders jerseys in ToC and Giro.

So much for, cheaters never prosper !

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Well tbf, the cheaters themselves have been sent home.

And the team have been left defending those jerseys while short-handed. I know the squad in California won’t have as much to do, but the Italy lot have been having a tough time of it (except when sprint trains have been revved up).

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:39 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Not sure what the craic is with the cheating thing - whether it was previously before they joined UAE or what. Pity about Gaviria though, looks like Ackerman has a clear run for the Maglia Ciclamino.

Also, haven't followed the ToC too closely, what happened to Sagan?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm 

Sagan won stage 1 and then there’s just been too many hills even for him in this year’s route.

And just as I said California would be easier for UAE, EF have obliterated the field on the day’s climbs and look to have isolated Pogacar. This was supposed to be a sprint stage, but Cav’s just climbed off.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:34 pm 

Roglic has put over a minute on all his main rivals in this ITT.

Yates in particular has had an absolute shocker.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:08 pm 

Roglic is nervously watching the top 10 coming in, as he overtakes each of them on gc, thinking "one of these muppets bettr hang onto pink..."

Looks like Conti will oblige, but Roglic might be up to 2nd.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:45 am 

After a boring first 10 days on the Giro, finally the mountains are coming. Will Yates have recovered some legs and can he light a few fireworks?

And can Nibali claw back 2 minutes over the course of the next stages?

On a side note, I really dislike all these sprinters pulling out of the competition just before the mountains. The principle should be that you take part in a Grand Tour or you don't.
I would suggest that any rider abandoning for other reasons that illness or injury should be stripped of its victories and UCI points.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 am 

TheFrog wrote:
After a boring first 10 days on the Giro, finally the mountains are coming. Will Yates have recovered some legs and can he light a few fireworks?

And can Nibali claw back 2 minutes over the course of the next stages?

On a side note, I really dislike all these sprinters pulling out of the competition just before the mountains. The principle should be that you take part in a Grand Tour or you don't.
I would suggest that any rider abandoning for other reasons that illness or injury should be stripped of its victories and UCI points.

Then they will just feign injury or illness.

Nibali will wait until the last week IMO

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 am 

Today's stage looks nice. It even has a short "Mur" type of climb 2KM from the end. The category 1 climb earlier on should be the decisive point though and I expect good attacks there. They have to try and claw time back from Roglic.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 pm 

Irish name on the podium today, well done Eddie Dunbar.

Maglia Rosa moves to Jan Polanc who has 4 minutes on Roglic. Great ride from him today.

Edit: been a very good Giro for UAE whatever else happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:45 pm 

Cracking stage today, great ride by Zakarin and put himself onto the podium. Polanc still in pink.

Interesting to see who made some moves today, Landa put himself into contention but I reckon it's too much. Nice by Molema too. Still think Roglic will take it.

Dunbar again up the road today, great to see from an Irish pov. I see the Russian guy on Ineos is into the top 10 now too.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:26 pm 

Today's looking good so far too.

Mollema and Yates struggling to hold onto the Roglic/Nibali group, but Carapaz and Landa look willing and able to attack. Ciccone looking like he wants the stage win in the KOM jersey.

And Superman Lopez has a dig, making more splits.

Polanc is struggling. We might see a change in pink this evening.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:28 pm 

Carapaz takes the stage and pink by 7 seconds over Roglic. Suddenly the cat is amongst the pigeons.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:40 pm 

Great stuff from Carapaz, what a couple of days this has been. Race wide open.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:44 pm 

Cracking stage.

And I thought Landa did very well to disrupt that final chase. Movistar usually bring very strong squads to Grand Tours but then tend to employ dismal tactics. They've been superb so far here.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:51 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Cracking stage.

And I thought Landa did very well to disrupt that final chase. Movistar usually bring very strong squads to Grand Tours but then tend to employ dismal tactics. They've been superb so far here.

Tactics are easy when you have the 2 best climbers in the race. Although Landa did struggle with that in the past when he was with Astana.

Tomorrow should be interesting; basically a mini-Lombardia, which Nibali has won twice. The first 160kms are pretty much flat, and Movistar will be in charge of controlling it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:02 pm 

DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Cracking stage.

Tactics are easy when you have the 2 best climbers in the race. Although Landa did struggle with that in the past when he was with Astana.

Tomorrow should be interesting; basically a mini-Lombardia, which Nibali has won twice. The first 160kms are pretty much flat, and Movistar will be in charge of controlling it.

I'd actually like to see TLV's tactics from now on. They've been defensive so far, and rightfully so. Will be interesting to see if they will now be prepared to put a few guys up the road with the aim of using them as a launchpad for Roglic.
Having said that, their domestiques aren't really on the same level as the Bahrain/Astana/Movistar guys.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:37 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
DOB wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Cracking stage.

I'd actually like to see TLV's tactics from now on. They've been defensive so far, and rightfully so. Will be interesting to see if they will now be prepared to put a few guys up the road with the aim of using them as a launchpad for Roglic.
Having said that, their domestiques aren't really on the same level as the Bahrain/Astana/Movistar guys.

The other teams have given them an easy ride so far tbf. They have been given far too much respect with Roglic as effective race leader yet not forced TLV to protect the status.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:15 pm 

Disaster on that final descent for Roglic.

Thank God for those rails :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 pm 

It’s pretty clear now that Roglic not only doesn’t have as strong a team, he also doesn’t quite have the strongest climbing legs. Whatever advantage he has in the TT over Carapaz, he just lost today.

Good win for Cataldo.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:44 pm 

DOB wrote:
It’s pretty clear now that Roglic not only doesn’t have as strong a team, he also doesn’t quite have the strongest climbing legs. Whatever advantage he has in the TT over Carapaz, he just lost today.

Good win for Cataldo.

I agree with all of this. He's gonna be toast in the mountains in this final week. He's gonna have to try and limit his losses and also pray that some of the other guys have a bad day or two before that final stage ITT.

Nibali will animate this final week.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:46 pm 

DOB wrote:
Carapaz takes the stage and pink by 7 seconds over Roglic. Suddenly the cat is amongst the pigeons.

Nibali may well live to regret leaving to Roglic the responsibility for chasing Carapaz. Unless, of course, he didn't have the legs to follow.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:05 pm 

DOB wrote:

Good win for Cataldo.

Not quite sure. Movistar upped the pace when he was struggling with a mechanical issue (he couldn't change gears) and then he was attacked when he wasn't ridding on his own bike. Despite that he was coming back and without the crash on the descent, he would not have conceded so much time.

The third week will be exciting though, with Movistar no doubt using Landa to tease Nibali and Roglic before applying the final blow with Carapaz.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:18 pm 

Haven't watched one minute of the Giro, any UK options for cheap streaming?

I saw this morning Mathieu Van Der Poel has won a World Cup XC race, he could be a future all-time great.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 am 

They take on the Mortirolo today. The stage has been shortened a bit, after the Gavia was deemed too dangerous (avalanche danger) and will be bypassed.

Should still be a cracking stage.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:01 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:

I saw this morning Mathieu Van Der Poel has won a World Cup XC race, he could be a future all-time great.

Saw that. He's an incredible talent. I think he's a great in waiting, certainly will be a beast in the classics.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm 

Brilliant stage today, and Movistar had a very good tactic and have strong riders.

With 2 Movistars on his back, one waiting further down in the valley and a slippery road downhill, Nibali was trapped and couldn't try to escape once he was unable to distance them on the climb.

Carapaz needs another minute to be safe on the last stage. So it is still very very close, and the Giro is far from over.

The only man who is on the losing side so far is Nibali, who may be will regret he didn't follow Carapaz that day... But may be he didn't have the legs then.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:54 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:

Saw that. He's an incredible talent. I think he's a great in waiting, certainly will be a beast in the classics.

Could be the new Tom Boonen

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Tommeke never rode Amstel, let alone win it. If he gets a favourable Lombardia course in his career, vdP could win all 5 monuments. I don’t know about him as a gc rider, especially in a GT, but there’s nothing on the one day calendar that he can’t win.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 pm 

DOB wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Tommeke never rode Amstel, let alone win it. If he gets a favourable Lombardia course in his career, vdP could win all 5 monuments. I don’t know about him as a gc rider, especially in a GT, but there’s nothing on the one day calendar that he can’t win.

He's a weapon, I'm a massive fan.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm 

Has Carapaz got the Giro sewn up now? 2 min+ gap to Roglic - which is probably enough to negate the ITT on Sunday (especially with 2 more mountain stages to come before then)

Movistar looking good. Saturday's stage looks brutal & Carapaz and Landa look to have the strongest legs atm. I reckon Landa can get on the podium

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:47 pm 

If the form of the past couple of days holds, you’d have to say Landa is more likely to catch Carapaz than Nibali or Roglic, especially with 2 summit finishes to go.

Also, Movistar are for once leveraging the fact that they have the 2 strongest climbers in the race. They’re racing with some coordination and tactical savvy, which is refreshing to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 77  Next