Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 79  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 am 

frillage wrote:
Xupi wrote:
Legendary win from Peter Sagan since it's his third in a row, the only rider to have achieved this. Sadly this time, he was litterally invisible the entire race, which is not my idea of cycling...

Julian Alaphilippe was immense and IMO deserved the win. He destroyed the field in Salmon Hill, and still had the jump to let Moscon behind as the Italian was becoming more of a liability. Julian looked the part. Alas video cameras stopped working in the last few km (what a let down from the Norwegian organisers, in an otherwise absolutely superb week - and Bergen is such a gorgeaous city) so we did not see exacty who reeled in, probably a combination of Italians/Belgians?

So were Swift and Matthews who also contended the sprint. It was only cause lost pictures of the commentators would have been ejaculating over Sagan appearing at front of the pack. They couldn't even tell it wasn't Bosen Hagen when came round th corner even though no chance he would have leadnout from that far.

Apparently Sagan and Kristoff were actually pretty busy in the last 4kms which we didn't get to see, though the helicopter footage is available now if anyone cares to break it down. You can see the blue shirt with white shoulders shutting down a couple of attempts to bridge across to Alaphilippe. Somewhere in there is a long-range effort by Gaviria of all people, who should've kept some in the tank for the sprint really.

Sagan pulls a great move through the 2nd last corner to get onto Kristoff's wheel; it's a real "only Sagan" effort.

If Alaphilippe hadn't dropped Moscon when he did, it might not have brought the Italians back into the chase. Not that he wasn't right to take the chance to drop a potentially dangerous rival, but there's only going to be one winner between those 2 in a sprint.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 am 

The helicopter footage clears a lot up. Seems as if Moscon and Alaphilippe actually came back together before being swallowed up. Kiryienka never really got clear. Magnus Cort was the mysterious last man hanging off the front when the race came into view of the fixed cameras. Sagan had indeed worked to chase a half break started by Swift and then put in another effort to close down a move by a rider I can't identify. Then was happy to just wait for the inevitable bunch sprint and positioned himself perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:37 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
Absolutely bizarre begrudging Sagan that win. He is the biggest marked-man in any race he has a chance of winning, whole teams base their strategy around f*cking with him, and he still gets the job done.
Just to clarify: not blaming Sagan for anything, he did not even have a team. It's a fact that such a fantastic race comes about to a "mass" sprint and the winner has been absolutely invisible all day which bothers me. Salmon hill was difficult enough for youth and female categories, but not for elite men.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:42 am 

DOB wrote:
Apparently Sagan and Kristoff were actually pretty busy in the last 4kms which we didn't get to see, though the helicopter footage is available now if anyone cares to break it down. You can see the blue shirt with white shoulders shutting down a couple of attempts to bridge across to Alaphilippe. Somewhere in there is a long-range effort by Gaviria of all people, who should've kept some in the tank for the sprint really.
Interesting. What a pity we did not get to see those final 4kms, Norwegians organizers must be devastated...

DOB wrote:
If Alaphilippe hadn't dropped Moscon when he did, it might not have brought the Italians back into the chase. Not that he wasn't right to take the chance to drop a potentially dangerous rival, but there's only going to be one winner between those 2 in a sprint.
It's also the fact that Moscon was spent, he had produced too big an effort in the climb and his relays were too soft and too short, Alaphilippe did not have much choice. Had Moscon still got some gaz, I think they would have made all the way. Wat was impressive also is how both Gilbert and van Avermaert could not bridge the gap to Alaphilippe in the climb. I was surprised to not see Sagan jump in there, well... he obviously made the right choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:18 am 

Xupi wrote:
DOB wrote:
Interesting. What a pity we did not get to see those final 4kms, Norwegians organizers must be devastated...

DOB wrote:
It's also the fact that Moscon was spent, he had produced too big an effort in the climb and his relays were too soft and too short, Alaphilippe did not have much choice. Had Moscon still got some gaz, I think they would have made all the way. Wat was impressive also is how both Gilbert and van Avermaert could not bridge the gap to Alaphilippe in the climb. I was surprised to not see Sagan jump in there, well... he obviously made the right choice.

He has had some very hard lessons himself along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:56 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
He has had some very hard lessons himself along the way.
Oh yes. It's only these past 2 seasons that he has fully matured and finally got the amazing wins his talent deserves. He's already on over 100 victories as a pro, and he's only 27 years-old.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:01 am 

Can't argue with Sagan's achievements. Qatar and Norway a world apart too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm 

Waterford man Sam Bennett wins the Munsterland Giro.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/sparka ... 7/results/

Phil Bauhaus, Andre Greipel and Marcel Kittel in picture just missing out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm 

DOB wrote:
Waterford man Sam Bennett wins the Munsterland Giro.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/sparka ... 7/results/

Phil Bauhaus, Andre Greipel and Marcel Kittel in picture just missing out.

Good scalps for Sam there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 am 

Nibbles wins Lombardia by just riding away from everyone up, down, and on the flat bits between the last 2 hills.

Gaviria crashed himself out of defending Paris-Tours, but QS still got the win with Trentin, and 3 others in the top 10.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm 

Il Muro di Sormano and Bartali's sentence on the Wall: “Davanti il 50 e il 42, dietro il 24, 17, 19, 23, 26 perché codesta gli è una salita da fare col 42×26 un si scappa; è durissimo il primo strappo che si dovrà fare quasi da fermo, perché viene dopo una curva a gomito. Saranno duri quei 2 chilometri abbondanti che ci sono da scalare in quanto presentano curve secche con impennate paurose. Sarà difficilissimo l’ultimo strappo”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 am 

https://www.lequipe.fr/lachainelequipe/

le tour next year

live presentation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm 

Some great stuff this week on BBC Scotland about Philippa York. The footage of her going back to Glasgow to meet Billy Bilsland was classic, watching him trying to cope but frequently slipping and calling her lad and son.

You know you are someone when you are Sir Chris Hoy's hero.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 pm 

Froome to start the Giro 2018 :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 pm 

So how do the regular cycling heads rate Froomes chances, what is the course like next year?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 am 

Sefton wrote:
So how do the regular cycling heads rate Froomes chances, what is the course like next year?

Nibbles think he has it in the bag.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:53 am 

DOB wrote:
Sefton wrote:

Nibbles think he has it in the bag.

Blood bag?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:35 am 

I'm so excited about this.

I haven't looked at the Giro route yet but I imagine most serious contenders will avoid it/Froome and ride the Tour only where he should be flagging.

I say he does it. And that his Tour attempt is great entertainment but ends in narrow failure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am 

That is a remarkably dapper and middle aged crowd.
Alvise Martinengo wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:47 am 

Tim. wrote:

I haven't looked at the Giro route yet but I imagine most serious contenders will avoid it/Froome and ride the Tour only where he should be flagging.

I say he does it. And that his Tour attempt is great entertainment but ends in narrow failure.

From a general public perspective a 5th Tour probably means more. Trying to add the Giro to his Tours and Vuelta and risking his Tour chancesin doing so probably attracts more admiration from cycling fans.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Tim. wrote:

From a general public perspective a 5th Tour probably means more. Trying to add the Giro to his Tours and Vuelta and risking his Tour chancesin doing so probably attracts more admiration from cycling fans.

I think there is something in this. There is also the possibility that if the Giro takes too much out of him, he skips the tour, takes on the Vuelta rested and suddenly he is up there with Contador, Indurain etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:57 pm 

I'm sure even Big Eddy didn't hold all 3 Grand Your titles at the same time, go Chris !

Last edited by johnstrac on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:10 pm 

I think the Dawg will really struggle if the weather is typically foul so kudos to him for taking it on and putting his chances of a fifth TDF win in serious jeopardy for an outside chance at the slam.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:20 pm 

The UCI and Peter Sagan have decided to drop the action related to his tour ejection after 'previously unseen video' footage indicated...

They f**ked up.

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/a ... sh-dispute

Quote:
"Having considered the materials submitted in the CAS proceedings, including video footage that was not available at the time when the race jury had disqualified Peter Sagan, the parties agreed that the crash was an unfortunate and unintentional race incident and that the UCI Commissaires made their decision based on their best judgment in the circumstances," the UCI said in a statement.

"On this basis, the parties agreed not to continue with the legal proceedings and to focus on the positive steps that can be taken in the future instead."

It appears the incident will result in some change, with UCI President David Lappartient flagging a "video referee" to assist race commissaires in decision making.

“These proceedings have shown how important and arduous the work of the UCI Commissaires is," he said. "As of next season, the UCI intends to engage a ‘Support Commissaire’ to assist the Commissaires Panel with special video expertise on the main events of the UCI World Tour.”

Sagan said he was pleased with the decision, adding that the "past is already forgotten."

"It's all about improving our sport in the future," he said. "I welcome the fact that what happened to me in Vittel has shown that the UCI Commissaires's work is a difficult one and that the UCI has recognized the need to facilitate their work in a more effective way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 pm 

"I'm sorry I cheated and I'm even worried that there's extra evidence proving it"???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 pm 

:lol:

:x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:33 pm 

So... did Froome share a steak with Contador or suffer from.the same heavy symptoms as Ulissi?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Tim. wrote:

I think there is something in this. There is also the possibility that if the Giro takes too much out of him, he skips the tour, takes on the Vuelta rested and suddenly he is up there with Contador, Indurain etc.

Indurain did the double double (win Giro/Tour) in 1992 and 1993.
Pantani did it once in 1998.

Merckx and the Badger Hinault both did the Giro/Tour double, twice.
However when they did it, both riders were racing far more other races during the season, than did Indurain and Pantani.
Coppi did it also.

Froome's credibility is f**ked. Like the team he cycles for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 pm 

Sagan is where it's at. The guy has talent to burn literally. Plus he's interesting and he has a bit of character.

Will he become a great grand tour rider?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:14 pm 

Closing stages in the Milan San Remo. About 10km to go.

Cavendish has just had a massive crash. Flew miles over his handlebars. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:26 pm 

Nibali masterclass. What a champ!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm 

Red card for the traffic furniture. Took Cav beyond horizontal and dropped him Inc his head.

Nibbles is the first to win Lombardia and follow it up with MSR the next season since Kelly in 91/92.

The moto practically towing him up the last km of the Poggio probably didn’t hurt his chances, is what I might point out if I were the churlish sort, but I’m not, so I won’t.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am 

DOB wrote:
The moto practically towing him up the last km of the Poggio probably didn’t hurt his chances, is what I might point out if I were the churlish sort, but I’m not, so I won’t.

its not like he has form or anything...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Closing stages in the Milan San Remo. About 10km to go.

Cavendish has just had a massive crash. Flew miles over his handlebars. :uhoh:

He can't catch a break (too soon?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:42 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Sagan is where it's at. The guy has talent to burn literally. Plus he's interesting and he has a bit of character.

Will he become a great grand tour rider?

Would be tough for him. Currently no one will ride with him because they know the will lose.
Obviously riding for GC is different, but most leaders have built relationships/owed favours over the years. People may ride with him because the peloton do seem to like him, but it is difficult to predict.

There is always the question of if he would want to, he is a Maverick and very good at what he does, obviously enjoys it as well. Big risk going for the big prize, he is such a good all rounder a heavily weighted par cours could make it impossible for him to win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 am 

A Grand Tour winner breaking away alone in the Poggio and resisting to the entire pack to win La Primavera.

Well that's a sight to behold and the best possible start to the season.

Vincenzo Nibali you're an amazing champion !!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:25 am 

2 weeks ago, a Tour de France runner-up and the world cyclocross champion finished 2nd and 3rd having led most of the later stages of the race at Strade Bianche. This is supposedly the age of specialization in cycling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 am 

DOB wrote:
2 weeks ago, a Tour de France runner-up and the world cyclocross champion finished 2nd and 3rd having led most of the later stages of the race at Strade Bianche. This is supposedly the age of specialization in cycling.

A CX rider did well on a rainy shitty course? colour me shocked!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am 

ukjim wrote:
DOB wrote:

A CX rider did well on a rainy shitty course? colour me shocked!

Also most Belgian and Dutch pro riders grew up mixing cyclocross and road riding. Given they would have decent handling skills and good acceleration power from CX the only question is endurance over the longer distance and how they handle the climbing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 79  Next