Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 79  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:15 pm 

nardol wrote:
Serves Yates right?

Seriously? After you started your post stating there are some sad individuals on here?

I think you're reading into it too much, I wanted him to win. Poor phrasing on my part. Just commenting on maybe a lack of experience or something where he pushed too hard too early and blew up in the last week.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:59 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
nardol wrote:
Serves Yates right?

Seriously? After you started your post stating there are some sad individuals on here?

I think you're reading into it too much, I wanted him to win. Poor phrasing on my part. Just commenting on maybe a lack of experience or something where he pushed too hard too early and blew up in the last week.

Ok, my bad.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:06 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
nardol wrote:
Serves Yates right?

Both Yates brothers have gone missing in week 3 before so although the scale of his losses were shocking the form loss was predictable based on their history. I thought he had enough to get through the last 3 days tbh

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:53 am 

How old is yates?

Riders become more durable and less explosive with age. If Yates is 26 or under he could still develop in to a top quality GC rider.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:02 am 

25 I think

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:28 pm 

Well done Sam Bennett on another win in the final stage. Three stage haul, not too shabby. Pity about the points, but Viviani was in top form. Nice rivalry anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:46 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Some very sad individuals on this thread.

Anyway well done Froome, serious turn around for the ages. Suppose it serves Yates right for chasing the stages and time bonuses. Two spectacular implosions on the MS team.

Nah, Yates did the best plan he could to get him the win. I don't think he or anybody else could have predicted the epic blowup he had in the final week, and that's (part of) the difference between 1-week stage race winners, and Grand Tour winners.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:52 am 

Lots of discussion on the "Kenyan Cyclist" thread about where Big Tom went wrong chasing Froome on stage 19, and I saw checking back that Sam Oomen finished with the Pozzovivo group, having just hung onto the wheels the whole way. Surely it would have made sense for Oomen to help drive the Pozzovivo group (along with 2 other Bora top 10-ers) closer to Carapaz and Lopez to persuade them to put in a stint or 2 on the front?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:47 pm 

Sorry to bump another cycling thread to the first page but I see that Aqua Blue Sport 'acquired' Verandas Willems and will have Matthaeu Van Der Poel on their books. Good bit of business...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:54 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Sorry to bump another cycling thread to the first page but I see that Aqua Blue Sport 'acquired' Verandas Willems and will have Matthaeu Van Der Poel on their books. Good bit of business...

Sounds like their 1x experiment is being killed off too. Shame they didn't get a GT wildcard this year

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:09 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:

Should definitely help jersey sales, which was part of their business model. And should help with invites to classics, which was another hurdle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:13 am 

DOB wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Should definitely help jersey sales, which was part of their business model. And should help with invites to classics, which was another hurdle.

Won't hurt being able to market an Irish Nationals jersey too, on top of a rainbow jersey. MVDP is hugely exciting as well, as you say should help with getting some classics invites and hopefully another grand tour invite down the line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Won't hurt being able to market an Irish Nationals jersey too, on top of a rainbow jersey. MVDP is hugely exciting as well, as you say should help with getting some classics invites and hopefully another grand tour invite down the line.

Ive always wondered about this, but never researched it

By what criteria are teams invited to the GTs or is it soley on the whim of a 'committee' or somesuch?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

By what criteria are teams invited to the GTs or is it soley on the whim of a 'committee' or somesuch?

Politics basically, There is normally one wildcard slot that goes international (rather than local like Cofidis/Direct Energie in the tour). This year the Giro one went to the Israeli team and the tour one went to Wanty of Belgium. I'm not sure who the Vuelta one has gone to

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Basically yeah, you might get extra French or Italian wildcards in the Tour and the Giro for example, usually to pad out the field a bit. There's usually a logic to it, more teams from the country the race is in, for example or Israel Cycling Academy invited to the Giro because the Giro started in Israel, and sometimes results or exciting riders will matter. The owner of ABS felt a bit aggrieved this year because they didn't get any invites, despite the ABS riders attacking and winning a stage at the Vuelta last year and getting some decent results. He felt it was abit of a closed shop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 am 

Veranda Willems are calling bullshit on Aqua Blue.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... statement/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am 

I have got myself completely mixed up with MVDP and Woet Van Aert :uhoh: Could have sworn that was the photo Sticky Bottle had used yesterday. Anyway, same guy I was thinking of.

EDIT: I was thinking the news on this was a bit mad. Firstly it was reported as a potential collaboration or merger, and then it was reported as an acquisition. Words matter I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:42 am 

Spare a thought for the riders in today`s stage of the volta de Portugal with the current extreme weather conditions. Its a 204km stage between Beja and Portalegre in the Alentejo region. Forecast highs are 45C for Beja and 43C for Portalegre but heaven knows what the effective temperature will be out on the road.

I hope the riders agree amongst themselves to take it very gently and limit the racing to the last few kms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:53 am 

Lisbon Nick wrote:
Spare a thought for the riders in today`s stage of the volta de Portugal with the current extreme weather conditions. Its a 204km stage between Beja and Portalegre in the Alentejo region. Forecast highs are 45C for Beja and 43C for Portalegre but heaven knows what the effective temperature will be out on the road.

I hope the riders agree amongst themselves to take it very gently and limit the racing to the last few kms.

jesus you would think they would limit the stage.

got to be dangerous.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm 

I think the San Sebastian classic is going to be dangerously hot too. I saw they had people out by the road spraying the riders.

Edit: with hoses. Note Team Sky fans that it's just water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:01 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
I think the San Sebastian classic is going to be dangerously hot too. I saw they had people out by the road spraying the riders.

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:

Would it be fun to use one of the slurry tanks but a bit to much chance for collateral damage

:P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 pm 

Alaphilippe wins San Sebastian.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:50 pm 

Might be the wrong thread for this but I bloody love track cycling.

Ethan Hayter just won an Omnium gold which satisfies my bandwaggoner cycling interest, but whoever wins you can't beat the elimination race for excitement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 pm 

Good win for Alaphilippe :thumbup:

Sounds like a really nasty crash for Landa and Bernal. Fractured vertebrae for Landa and apparently head injuries, face injuries and missing teeth for Bernal. Ouch. Best of luck to both of them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:22 am 

SamShark wrote:
Might be the wrong thread for this but I bloody love track cycling.

Ethan Hayter just won an Omnium gold which satisfies my bandwaggoner cycling interest, but whoever wins you can't beat the elimination race for excitement.

Great result for Hayter. I see he is a Sky trainee too. :thumbup:

Junior cyclocross has also been very good for British juniors recently.

1st place in the worlds this year.

1st 2nd and 3rd last year.

Pidcock seems to be a talent.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 am 

Bullettyme wrote:

Sounds like a really nasty crash for Landa and Bernal. Fractured vertebrae for Landa and apparently head injuries, face injuries and missing teeth for Bernal. Ouch. Best of luck to both of them.

Looked a pretty slow impact slide for Landa but Bernal went over the bars and could not have landed any worse, fully on his face. Dan Martin also had a bad landing. It just looked like a slide out from Landa who took the rest down. All three were actually back on their bikes before the medics arrived, the mad bastards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Looked a pretty slow impact slide for Landa but Bernal went over the bars and could not have landed any worse, fully on his face. Dan Martin also had a bad landing. It just looked like a slide out from Landa who took the rest down. All three were actually back on their bikes before the medics arrived, the mad bastards.

Didn't know Martin was involved. Mad bastard went on to come 12th or something! Wish a speedy recovery to Bernal though, without wanting to view the video that sounds very nasty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:40 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Didn't know Martin was involved. Mad bastard went on to come 12th or something! Wish a speedy recovery to Bernal though, without wanting to view the video that sounds very nasty.

Thats interesting because I wasn't sure it was him. I had a Spanish feed and they were certainly claiming it was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 pm 

Dunno if the name Adrien Costa ever came up here, talented young American lad, won a few races as an 18 year old stagiaire with Quickstep, and with Axeon Havens Bermann, Axel Merckx’s team of youngsters, then out of the blue he retired before this season, aged 19, with the usual questions of “will he ever come back.”

He had a climbing accident a couple of weeks ago and his leg had to be amputated below the knee. He had his 20th birthday since the accident. The Axeon team have a gofundme page up for his rehab.

https://www.gofundme.com/supportadriencosta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 am 

Peter Sagan will ride the Vuelta this year. That's exciting. Bit crap from an Irish POV as it pushes out Sam Bennett, but exciting all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm 

I think we’ve touched on it before, but Bennett probably needs to move, if he wants to win everything he can. He’s capable of a TdF stage on the right course, he can maybe even win MSR with a team dedicated to getting him over the Poggio, but he won’t get to try while he’s on the same payroll as Sagan.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm 

DOB wrote:
I think we’ve touched on it before, but Bennett probably needs to move, if he wants to win everything he can. He’s capable of a TdF stage on the right course, he can maybe even win MSR with a team dedicated to getting him over the Poggio, but he won’t get to try while he’s on the same payroll as Sagan.

I think you're probably right there, I think after his Giro showing he'd get quite a bit of interest so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave when his contract comes up for renewal.

Just saw that both Nico Roche and Dan Martin will be starting the Vuelta. Shaping up to be some decent Irish participation. Depending on how he has recovered from the Tour I'd hope for Dan to take a stage or two and be there and there about, sharing leader duties with Aru though. Nico Roche seems to have cycled himself into a bit of form, seemed to go well at the Arctic Race.

Movistar have a serious team going into the race, suppose we'll have to see which one of Valverde or Quintana wants it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm 

Did Dan Martin do the Giro this year? Sure I remember him there...

if he's having a crack at all three that's ballsy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 pm 

Martin hasn’t attempted the Giro since he crashed out in the opening ttt in Belfast in 2012 or whenever that was. It’s too soon after the Ardennes for him, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:58 pm 

It should be a good Vuelta.

My two favourites are Quintana and S. Yates. Quintana usually shows up pretty well in the Vuelta, and Yates' Giro showing convinced me that he has a grand tour in him. Movistar as a team look very very strong though.

Nibali has already said that he's not yet fit, but he's riding more in preparation for the World Champs. Richie Porte back as well for this, but who knows what kind of form he's in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:04 pm 

DOB wrote:
Martin hasn’t attempted the Giro since he crashed out in the opening ttt in Belfast in 2012 or whenever that was. It’s too soon after the Ardennes for him, apparently.

I've probably confused the classics with the Giro. I was lucky this year to see more cycling that I ever had before and I probably overdosed. Like chocolate cake.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:

I think you're probably right there, I think after his Giro showing he'd get quite a bit of interest so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave when his contract comes up for renewal.

Just saw that both Nico Roche and Dan Martin will be starting the Vuelta. Shaping up to be some decent Irish participation. Depending on how he has recovered from the Tour I'd hope for Dan to take a stage or two and be there and there about, sharing leader duties with Aru though. Nico Roche seems to have cycled himself into a bit of form, seemed to go well at the Arctic Race.

Movistar have a serious team going into the race, suppose we'll have to see which one of Valverde or Quintana wants it.

Do you think he still has it in him??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:14 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
DOB wrote:

I've probably confused the classics with the Giro. I was lucky this year to see more cycling that I ever had before and I probably overdosed. Like chocolate cake.

He rode the Dauphine as well, which might be part of the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:

Do you think he still has it in him??

Not really. He'll give it a crack though. Just really referring to the joint leadership thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 79  Next