Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:00 am 

DOB wrote:
There will always be a section of cycling fans that don't like Valverde for precisely that reason. It might be a bit unfair, given he's served his time and at this stage absolutely proven that he's one of the most talented bike racers of his era. But at the same time, it's a worthwhile lesson for young riders considering trying something; this guy won a Vuelta, a Worlds, multiple monuments, but for a lot of people, they still talk about the one thing.

The other doping lesson with Valverde is they don't need to actually test you positive to ban you.

Yeah it's a bit of a pity since he has done his time as you say. I don't think there has been any suggestion that he's used since then. I think he's a fantastic cyclist and I'd count myself as a bit of a fanboy, so I'm delighted for him. He's had a very exciting season so it's good to see him come away with a big win like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 am 

I thought this World Championship would be between Valverde and Alaphilippe, but the Frenchman didn't have enough in the tank and exploded on the final climb.

Impressive Valverde, but this was to be his championship. He is the only one who has that mix of climb ability, punch on steep hills and finishing speed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:
There will always be a section of cycling fans that don't like Valverde for precisely that reason. It might be a bit unfair, given he's served his time and at this stage absolutely proven that he's one of the most talented bike racers of his era. But at the same time, it's a worthwhile lesson for young riders considering trying something; this guy won a Vuelta, a Worlds, multiple monuments, but for a lot of people, they still talk about the one thing.

The other doping lesson with Valverde is they don't need to actually test you positive to ban you.

Yeah it's a bit of a pity since he has done his time as you say. I don't think there has been any suggestion that he's used since then. I think he's a fantastic cyclist and I'd count myself as a bit of a fanboy, so I'm delighted for him. He's had a very exciting season so it's good to see him come away with a big win like that.

He’s put in a huge season, it’s great to see him win the worlds and at this stage of his career it’s fantastic. I’ve not been able to see any of it but I’ll chase down a replay when I’m placed... such a brutal course I suppose hindsight helps but not many riders were going to be able to pull that one off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:

I am conflicted about Valcerdes win, for those reasons, he is a fantastic cyclist (as were/are many convicted dopers) but I think penalties for proven dopers should be far harsher. As you say he has served his time according to the rules so so be it.

On a personal level I'd have preferred Woods to win or Dumoulin for his fantastic chase. From not liking Dumoulin he has changed my opinion since winning the TdF TT and his reaction to winning that stage and coming second in that race

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:31 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:

I am conflicted about Valcerdes win, for those reasons, he is a fantastic cyclist (as were/are many convicted dopers) but I think penalties for proven dopers should be far harsher. As you say he has served his time according to the rules so so be it.

On a personal level I'd have preferred Woods to win or Dumoulin for his fantastic chase. From not liking Dumoulin he has changed my opinion since winning the TdF TT and his reaction to winning that stage and coming second in that race

He has never been tested positive.

Unlike other pro cyclists who were free to continue competing... :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:36 am 

If you'd asked me in 2005, I'd have said that Valverde would have been the next great Spanish cyclist. Contador was not then regarded as the next great prospect, but Valverde was.

He's always been a classy rider. Of course his suspension for doping weighs heavily on his legacy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 am 

TheFrog wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
DOB wrote:

He has never been tested positive.

Unlike other pro cyclists who were free to continue competing... :P

Jan Ullrich wasn't. Puerto killed his career.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:47 am 

Giro di Lombardia up next.

I've always liked this race, a real classic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:57 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:

The best of the lot. It's a shame it's so late in the season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

The best of the lot. It's a shame it's so late in the season.

Its my favourite too, the race of the falling leaves!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:53 am 

Paris-Tours up next, actually.

An underrated classic. It's thrown up a few good races in recent years, not the automatic bunch sprint of reputation. I'm happy to see that it's separated from Lombardia by a week this year, instead of being the same weekend. It might get a bit of its own limelight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm 

This is kinda funny:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lancearmstro ... 6685815808

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 am 

Bullettyme wrote:

I watched his Podcast a few times during the season, he is actually quite a witty prick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:42 am 

No mention of Tibopino's win at Lombardia? Really was an impressive ride, and just the way he dropped Nibali on the Civiglio left you in no doubt whatsoever who was the strongest in the race.

Again, not for the first time, a downside of the race was the inability of the chasing group to put together any sort of coordination. Once a break goes, there seems to be a sense of inevitability about never pulling it back, and apart from the odd dig by Martin or Wellens or Majka (but never all 3 at the same time) there was no attempt to change that. 40 seconds at the foot of the final climb should have been recoverable, given they'd all been sitting on Dani Martiniez's wheel while the front 4 had been taking turns (apart from Roglic, who was cooked).

But that's a small quibble; great ride by Pinot, who's really had a great finish to the season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am 

Yeah, really good race by Pinot, but I agree, the inability to produce a cohesive chase was annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:52 am 

Good for Pinaut

Nice seeing him reverse his Giro implosion at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

I guess he also wanted to make a point for Cyril Guimard. But nice for Pinot to win a monument. I hope he gets some form on his next attempt at a GT.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
I guess he also wanted to make a point for Cyril Guimard. But nice for Pinot to win a monument. I hope he gets some form on his next attempt at a GT.

to be fair on form 3 of them could have pretended to the leading spot.

Pity Alaphilippe blew up as with Bardet as remaining team mate he would have been in a great position to win it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm 

Laurent wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

to be fair on form 3 of them could have pretended to the leading spot.

Pity Alaphilippe blew up as with Bardet as remaining team mate he would have been in a great position to win it

I had my money on Valverde though, this suited him perfectly. He has a higher resistance than Alaphilippe and does a good job on longer climbs (and repeated climbs) as proven in GTs, and he is a fast finisher. Pity Alaphilippe couldn't keep up with him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm 

Just heard that Conor Dunne has signed for the Israeli Cycling Academy. Glad he's got himself sorted for another contract, and it seems his profile is getting a lot of exposure after the #NoGoTour. 👏

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67