Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 78  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:09 pm 

H'es now made the front split of 6 with Sagan, Lampaert, Gilbert, vanMarcke and Pollitt, which really looks like it could go the whole way.

Trek chasing hard behind, but they've missed out big time. van Avermaet MIA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:05 pm 

Nice for Gilbert.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:15 pm 

Oh that's an incredible win for Philippe Gilbert, what a fantastic champion he is ! he's got 4 out of 5 monuments to his name now...

This race is just amazing, probably my favourite of all classics. Seriously, in which other race do you see riders like Van Aert or Sagan unable to follow on a portion of flat, and disintegrating like any of us amateurs? :shock: what a sight.

I was cheering for Wout van Aert, the efforts he did to overcome his misfortunes... why in the world did not his two team-mates wait for him after Arenberg? he was left alone while he was visibly one of the strongest riders of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm 

Xupi wrote:
Oh that's an incredible win for Philippe Gilbert, what a fantastic champion he is ! he's got 4 out of 5 monuments to his name now...

This race is just amazing, probably my favourite of all classics. Seriously, in which other race do you see riders like Van Aert or Sagan unable to follow on a portion of flat, and disintegrating like any of us amateurs? :shock: what a sight.

I was cheering for Wout van Aert, the efforts he did to overcome his misfortunes... why in the world did not his two team-mates wait for him after Arenberg? he was left alone while he was visibly one of the strongest riders of the day.

Agree with all of that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:18 pm 

Last year Delko Marseille’s Evaldas Siskievicius finished an hour behind Sagan and they had to beg someone to open the gates of the Velodrome so he could do his lap.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/outside ... ter-sagan/

This year he finished 9th, and in the group sprinting for 6th behind the winning break.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:27 am 

Delighted for Gilbert who is a class rider. I hope next year he wins MSR to complete his Grand Slam of monuments. He deserves it.

Was shocked to see Van Aert fighting it all for himself. But I understand one of his team mate finished 7th, so I guess the team tactic had changes to supporting their second best.

Happy for young Senechal too, who gets a rewarding 6th toensure QuickStep have 3 riders in the top 6!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 am 

Quickstep were just so strong yesterday. Their race awareness is something else. They always end up with a numerical advantage when these final selections are made.

In the end I thought Gilbert and Lampaert played it superbly, and either of them could have had that win.

To the Ardennes we now go, where they will have Alaphilippe and Jungels leading them. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:55 pm 

I see Victor Campenaerts set the new hour record. Cracking stuff, fair play :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 pm 

55kms. Some ride. I expect we’ll see a few more attempts at it in the next few years.

Matthieu van der Poel’s win at Brabantse Pijl has set things up nicely for Amstel Gold on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:08 pm 

WOW!

Amazing last few kms at Amstel Gold. Alaphilippe chucked that away tbf but amazing riding by top pros there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:09 pm 

That was amazing!!! Wow

Wtf were Fuglsang and Alaphilippe doing? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:09 pm 

Unbelievable finish to the Amstel Gold. Alaphilippe ambushed by Van der Poel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:10 pm 

Cycling Twitter just exploded.

Must catch the last 10k of that later.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:11 pm 

blindcider wrote:
WOW!

Amazing last few kms at Amstel Gold. Alaphilippe chucked that away tbf but amazing riding by top pros there.

I'm speechless. The moment Kwiat made that bridge I suspected the font two were f**ked. Just didn't realise how close that chasing group was.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:12 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:

Same here - following on the Dutch broadcaster blog, that all came out of the blue!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:20 pm 

It was just brilliant to see them maintain the chase when on most occassions they would sit up and let them go. Really thought Alaphillipe had it sewn up but it was Kwiatowski's ride that really did for him. I wonder if the peleton have got a bit peeved of Quick Step's dominance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:20 pm 

MVDP is going to be an absolute star if he can maintain fitness. I wonder if he needs to join a team like Quickstep to really push his road career on though as Lotto are a decent but not top class world tour team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:33 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
It was just brilliant to see them maintain the chase when on most occassions they would sit up and let them go. Really thought Alaphillipe had it sewn up but it was Kwiatowski's ride that really did for him. I wonder if the peleton have got a bit peeved of Quick Step's dominance.

The other irony is that Alaphillipe lost because he was stuck in the end with a guy whom he knew he was almost certain to beat in a sprint. Fuglsang slowed it down to a crawl and Julian was happy to go along with it. Was there no communication from his team about the danger that was coming?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:40 pm 

Salanya wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Same here - following on the Dutch broadcaster blog, that all came out of the blue!

Last 5km here

https://streamable.com/nb556

unbelievable :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:07 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Salanya wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Last 5km here

https://streamable.com/nb556

unbelievable :shock:

Cheers! Great victory. His dad is from my part of the country.

Love the Flemish commentary too: Daar is het vod. Potjandorie :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
BlackMac wrote:

The other irony is that Alaphillipe lost because he was stuck in the end with a guy whom he knew he was almost certain to beat in a sprint. Fuglsang slowed it down to a crawl and Julian was happy to go along with it. Was there no communication from his team about the danger that was coming?

Apparently, they were getting from informations the gap, vastly overestimated. But I suspect Alaphilippe was cooked and would not have managed to both pull Fulsgang and still beat him in a sprint.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:38 pm 

Alaphilippe on Valverde's tracks?

Good win for him at Fleche Wallone. Fulsgang is becoming his best friend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:17 pm 

Salanya wrote:

Cheers! Great victory. His dad is from my part of the country.

Love the Flemish commentary too: Daar is het vod. Potjandorie :lol:

I don't understand the language but it was fun listening :thumbup: :lol:

He's uploaded the ride to Strava

https://www.strava.com/activities/2307958367/overview

Quote:
Kilometers in 2019

Activities in 2019

:lol:

In other news, Landa might be team leader at Bahrain Merida next year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landa-s ... da-leader/

Quote:
Cyclingnews has been told that Landa – currently at Movistar – agreed a two-year deal several months ago, as Bahrain-Merida looked to secure a new team leader in case contract negotiations with Nibali failed. Nibali has grown more determined to leave Bahrain-Merida in recent months after receiving a serious proposal from Trek-Segafredo. Negotiations with Bahrain-Merida reached deadlock in March after the Italian demanded a two-year deal on roughly the same salary as his current contract.

Bahrain-Merida have been interested in Landa for some time, and although they don’t see him as a like-for-like replacement for Nibali, they hope that the Spaniard can rediscover his best form in three-week stage races.

As Cyclingnews reported last week, Rod Ellingworth will move from Team Sky to Bahrain-Merida and join the team as part of its senior management next season.

Nibali is expected to take his entourage with him to Trek-Segafredo, including his brother Antonio, coach Paolo Slongo and doctor Emilio Magni.

Landa's contract with Movistar ends this season, and he was being courted by Astana. However, his move to Bahrain-Merida will likely spark a merry-go-round of Grand-Tour-leader transfers.

I like that, I hope he can regain that form he showed a couple of years back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:22 pm 

Interesting outcome could be if one of Bernal, Thomas or Froome look to leave team sky/Ineos as they are looking like having too many chiefs very soon.

Bernal to Movistar to replace Landa could be a possibility

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Interesting outcome could be if one of Bernal, Thomas or Froome look to leave team sky/Ineos as they are looking like having too many chiefs very soon.

I think they will throw everything in with Froome to get win number 5 this year. Bernal knows he has plenty of time and will be promised the earth to stay. Thomas is a more difficult situation. Publicly they will say that him and Froome are co -leaders but I don't think for a second that will be the case and he will be expected to ride for Froome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
blindcider wrote:

I think they will throw everything in with Froome to get win number 5 this year. Bernal knows he has plenty of time and will be promised the earth to stay. Thomas is a more difficult situation. Publicly they will say that him and Froome are co -leaders but I don't think for a second that will be the case and he will be expected to ride for Froome

They were trying to push Thomas to do the giro and he told them no chance so could still be fun there

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 pm 

Bernal ruled out of the Giro. He crashed and broke his collarbone yesterday.

It's a shame. I wad really looking forward to him as team leader.

I wonder who Ineos lead with now?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:

Pity about Bernal, I was looking forward to see how he'd do in the Giro.
(Giro and Vuelta are far more interesting races than LeTour, I think).

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 am 

Roglic looking strong for the Giro.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:05 am 

TheFrog wrote:

He certainly looks to be the favourite coming into the race. He's been strong all round. There's also quite a lot of ITT KM's and that should be to his liking. But I suppose this also brings Tom D into the picture. Simon Yates' time-trialling has also improved a great deal, so it should be a good battle for the Maglia Rosa.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 am 

Beaver_Shark wrote:

Gutted for him, he's a very exciting cyclist. Yeah I will be interested to see that. There's an opportunity in the team now (although not lead) for young Eddie Dunbar. He had a great ride for Ineos at the Tour of Yorkshire and came 3rd overall.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am 

What's the latest on the Irish sprinter Bennet...? Heard he wasn't being selected for the main races or some such?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:51 am 

nardol wrote:
What's the latest on the Irish sprinter Bennet...? Heard he wasn't being selected for the main races or some such?

He's had some very good performances recently and took a good few wins. He was up there in the Tour of Turkey and won the points classification. Thing is he's always going to lose out to the likes of a) Peter Sagan and b) German riders like Ackerman, although he did race MSR this year. Hopefully he gets selected for some bigger races because he is in some very good form.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:

Gutted for him, he's a very exciting cyclist. Yeah I will be interested to see that. There's an opportunity in the team now (although not lead) for young Eddie Dunbar. He had a great ride for Ineos at the Tour of Yorkshire and came 3rd overall.

I wonder if the young talents seen in the Tour des Alpes will get a chance to shine.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:54 pm 

La Giro Route 2019

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:17 am 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

He certainly looks to be the favourite coming into the race. He's been strong all round. There's also quite a lot of ITT KM's and that should be to his liking. But I suppose this also brings Tom D into the picture. Simon Yates' time-trialling has also improved a great deal, so it should be a good battle for the Maglia Rosa.

Yates
Nibali
Roglic
Landa
Dumoulin
Mollema
Miguel Angel Lopez

should be a good battle!

(And may be Pavel Sivakov and Tao Geoghegan Hart)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

Dunbar got his call up anyway :thumbup: Brilliant stuff, I think it's his first grand tour.

Should be a bit of Irish interest like last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 pm 

Yeah, Dunbar riding his first GT, Conor Dunne riding his 2nd for Israel Academy. Hope he gets in a few breaks.

Be interesting to see who Ineos ride for. On his Yorkshire form, Dunbar has to be a chance of a stage win, but TGH and Sivakov could both go high on GC.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:38 pm 

Did Dunbar nearly win that race in Yorkshire at the weekend?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Did Dunbar nearly win that race in Yorkshire at the weekend?

He was leader on the road on the final stage until van Avermaet and Lawless bridges up to him. So he ended up 3rd which is still a phenomenal result for the young lad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 78  Next