Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2946 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 pm 

All clear for Thomas to start the Tour. Just abrasions to the shoulder and a cut near the eye.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint ... a03HFHtaQo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 pm 

Good news for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:04 am 

DOB wrote:
All clear for Thomas to start the Tour. Just abrasions to the shoulder and a cut near the eye.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint ... a03HFHtaQo

Well chuffed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 pm 

Dumoulin gooooooooooooone.

Gonna heal up and try for the Vuelta.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 am 

Sad to hear about Dumoulin

Saw that Bernal won the Tour de Suisse pretty comfortably - wonder if he'll be let off the leash by Ineos at the TDF or will be riding in support of Thomas? (suspect they'll protect them both until the decision is made for them)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:52 am 

I suspect they’ll let the road decide. First summit finish is stage 6, so they should have a fairly good idea after that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 am 

Not much left in terms of proven grand tour pedigree - Thomas, Quintana and Nibali all have question marks against them. Could be a Bernal / Kruijswijk / Bardet podium or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:06 am 

The pattern with the Tour is usually Ineos in control and the rest of the GC guys trying to find a way to break them down. Bernal is in good form but Thomas has a lot of experience in the three week war of attrition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:18 am 

Armchair_Superstar wrote:
The pattern with the Tour is usually Ineos in control and the rest of the GC guys trying to find a way to break them down. Bernal is in good form but Thomas has a lot of experience in the three week war of attrition.

But without Froome, Thomas in unknown condition and Bernal an unproven youngster, will Ineos take that responsibility again? With van Baarle and Poels in very good form, will they sit back and keep their team fresh instead? The pattern of this tour could be a bit different without a clear favourite. It might just explode on Pretty Girls mountain in Stage 6 and fall into a familiar pattern for Thomas or Bernal but if Fuglsang or Quintana take Yellow there, Ineos will just sit in the bunch presumably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:23 am 

clydecloggie wrote:

But without Froome, Thomas in unknown condition and Bernal an unproven youngster, will Ineos take that responsibility again? With van Baarle and Poels in very good form, will they sit back and keep their team fresh instead? The pattern of this tour could be a bit different without a clear favourite. It might just explode on Pretty Girls mountain in Stage 6 and fall into a familiar pattern for Thomas or Bernal but if Fuglsang or Quintana take Yellow there, Ineos will just sit in the bunch presumably.

I would say it’s the logical choice considering the way they use the rest of the team to pressurise everyone else’s GC men.

Then it comes down to Bernal and Thomas racing smart against a reduced field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 pm 

Pity about Big Tom. Nico Roche looks in really good nick at the moment so would have been nice to see him ride in support of TD. I see Matthews is a bit bemused too.

I think Valverde is looking tough at the moment. I've been burned too many times by Quintana, I don't think he'll have the legs for it.

I also think it'll be Bernal's year. Perhaps Ineos can stay rubber down for the few weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 pm 

As suggested by a few on here, Thomas and Bernal joint leaders of team INEOS for Le Tour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:42 am 

clydecloggie wrote:

One of my favorite climbs on the tour.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:25 am 

Bernal will probably emerge midway through the tour as Ineos' outright leader, and I'm tipping him for a podium, minimum.
Nothing I have seen of Thomas so far this season has suggested that he could defend his Tour. And the crash would have complicated things for him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:32 pm 

The Secret Pro is apparently doing a daily report, but one thing that jumped out from his preview was that (he says) you “could see it in (Thomas’) eyes” at Suisse even before his crash that his head wasn’t in it for the defense. Which is understandable, and also predictable; I never got the impression of the hunger of a multi-Tour winner looking at G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:51 am 

Nationals headlines;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/201 ... ons-index/

Ben Swift in UK.
Barguil (!!!) in France. His first decent win since leaving Sunweb, maybe a sign that he’s ready to produce something during the Tour? (Pinot and Alaphilippe skipped the race)
Bennett in Ireland. The rest of the lads knew they couldn’t take Sam to a sprint, so he followed the breaks and beat Dunbar in a 2-up.
The Dutch lads weren’t paying attention to that, so Fabio Jacobsen won in a bunch gallop.
Formolo in Italy. Solo 35km break.
A cross rider who isn’t Wout van Aert won in Belgium.
Schachman at the front of a Bora 1-2-3 in Germany. Only 15 finished due to crazy weather.
Konrad in Austria; of the 5 jerseys Bora won, only 2 will be at the Tour.
Valverde in Spain. Because Valverde.
And of course, Sagan in Slovakia. Except Juraj. So stage 1 of the Tour will be Peter’s first road race in Bora kit, and his first race in team kit since 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:37 am 

DOB wrote:
Nationals headlines;

Ben Swift in UK.
Barguil (!!!) in France. His first decent win since leaving Sunweb, maybe a sign that he’s ready to produce something during the Tour? (Pinot and Alaphilippe skipped the race)
Bennett in Ireland. The rest of the lads knew they couldn’t take Sam to a sprint, so he followed the breaks and beat Dunbar in a 2-up.
The Dutch lads weren’t paying attention to that, so Fabio Jacobsen won in a bunch gallop.
Schachman at the front of a Bora 1-2-3 in Germany. Only 15 finished due to crazy weather.
And of course, Sagan in Slovakia. Except Juraj. So stage 1 of the Tour will be Peter’s first road race in Bora kit, and his first race in team kit since 2011.

Very weak field as the race was never going to suit pinot or bardet.

Alaphilippe would have potentially won this but it was not very selective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:52 am 

DOB wrote:
The Secret Pro is apparently doing a daily report, but one thing that jumped out from his preview was that (he says) you “could see it in (Thomas’) eyes” at Suisse even before his crash that his head wasn’t in it for the defense. Which is understandable, and also predictable; I never got the impression of the hunger of a multi-Tour winner looking at G.

For me, G has such an odd attitude among top tier cyclists in that he seems genuinely happy to just be there. Now he has a GT on his palmares he has now achieved pretty much everything in cycling except for a monument/WC so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him lose some edge/interest.

I think he is a one-and-done unless he gets a friendly Vuelta/Giro parcours with not much competition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:57 pm 

Laurent wrote:
DOB wrote:
Nationals headlines;

Ben Swift in UK.

Very weak field as the race was never going to suit pinot or bardet.

Alaphilippe would have potentially won this but it was not very selective.

Pinot was actually racing. But trapped in a bunch that didn't work together to close on the escapees, he never had a chance. He did try to get away couple times but was reeled in twice.

Sagan did actually not get the Slovakian title! For the first time he will race the Tour in his plain team jersey. Not for long I guess as he will soon be in green... Though this doesn't seem to be a good year for him.

Alaphilippe could be trying to get the green jersey though. I always wonder whether he would give it a try. But he seems focused on couple stages and the Polka Dot jersey.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:58 pm 

Did any of you guys see the youtube video where a guy was filming a few races (pro level and semi-pro) with infra-red cameras to detect motors in the bikes? I haven't seen it, but apparently there is plenty of cheating, though they give no names on the video.

One wonder what UCI is doing if it is that easy to catch the cheaters...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:01 pm 

For the Tour de France, I am keen to see what Adam Yates and Fuglsang can do. Yates seemed quite comfortable in the TT and is a good climber. Fuglsang did also well in the TT and is in the form of his life. Can he last 3 weeks though?

Ineos are the obvious favorites with Bernal and Thomas, but I'd like to see a few guys disrupting their plans.

The French championship had banned earbuds and this worked quite well. Teams were disorganised, attacking at the wrong time and struggling to get organised. It made for a crazy and fun race. May be the way the big races should go ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
Did any of you guys see the youtube video where a guy was filming a few races (pro level and semi-pro) with infra-red cameras to detect motors in the bikes? I haven't seen it, but apparently there is plenty of cheating, though they give no names on the video.

I would like to think that sort of cheating is unlikely at the top level due to the amount of people that would need to be complicit. I reckon you would get opposition riders speaking out too as in a lot of ways it seems worse than doping - After all you still have to pedal when doped.

Maybe I am being naive but it just seems like a hell of a lot of risk to take and if someone find a motor there's no dodgy meat excuse to fall back on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm 

TheFrog wrote:

Doping is one thing but this is just too easy to catch. I don't believe this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm 

nardol wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

Doping is one thing but this is just too easy to catch. I don't believe this.

What makes you think it's easy to catch?

a) until recently they weren't checking for motors at all.

b) people have been caught using motors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:33 pm 

One girl in a Cross race was caught with a motor. I haven’t heard of any World Tour pro men caught with one.

There was always an omertà over doping. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t also exist with motors.

I would suspect it would mostly relate to “well Jean-Claude is only using it to get through the mountains, we know he won’t use it on stages he can/might actually win,” or “Pedro’s only riding these cobbles races because Movistar have to send a team, so who cares if he has an engine on board.”

But it’s not like a biological passport violation or a dodgy steak or an off-brand supplement. If you’ve got a motor in your bike, (or pedal assist or whatever), you’ve got a motor in your bike and ought to be thrown off the race and out of the sport for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm 

Quote:
Lance Armstrong says he and his teams would have won the Tour de France multiple times if the entire peloton was riding clean during his now-stripped reign of seven victories from 1999 through 2005.

Although Armstrong told Tirico his decision to dope was a mistake, he also said he wouldn't change a thing in his career, and he was proud of the efforts he and his teams put into the Tour preparation outside of their use of performance enhancing drugs.

"What did we say? We said we worked the hardest, had the best tactics, best team composition, best director, best equipment, best technology, recon the courses. All the things we said, we did. We left out a part, but we did all that stuff. Because now this one thing is part of the story doesn't erase all that. All that happened," Armstrong said. "If you just had this one thing and did none of that, you get last."

When Tirico asked Armstrong to recall why he and many of his US cohorts decided to use performance enhancing drugs, the Texan said it was their belief that they needed to dope to compete in Europe.

"That wasn't just a feeling, that was a fact," he said. "I don't want to make excuses for myself that everybody did it or we never could have won without it. Those are all true, but the buck stops with me. I'm the one who made the decision to do what I did, and it was ... I didn't want to go home, man. I was gonna stay.

"I knew there were going to be knives at this fight, not just fists. I knew there would be knives. I had knives, and then one day, people start showing up with guns. That's when you say, 'Do I either fly back to Plano, Texas, and not know what you're going to do? Or do you walk over to the gun store?' I walked to the gun store. I didn't want to go home.

Armstrong pushed back against claims that he was the ring leader who cajoled others into doping.

"There are a few things that are just not true about the story," he said. "I mean, there's a lot true, but this idea that myself or anybody forced or mandated or encouraged anybody else to cross that line, just isn't true. It's not true. Absolutely not true.

"We did what we had to do to win. It wasn’t legal. It probably wasn't the best decision, but look, we wouldn't have won had we not. But I wouldn't change a thing. I've said that three times. I would not change a thing," Armstrong said, pausing briefly between each word for emphasis.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2946 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74