Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:16 pm 

Salanya wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Bjorg Lambrecht: Belgian cyclist dies following crash during the Tour de Pologne

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/49243277

Just saw this - really sad :(

Far too young, and he had so much promise. His poor family :( RIP

Terrible.

Every time I watch a race, I shiver at the risks these guys take for their lifes. Rugby is nothing in comparison to cycling.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:36 am 

TheFrog wrote:
Salanya wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Bjorg Lambrecht: Belgian cyclist dies following crash during the Tour de Pologne

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/49243277

Just saw this - really sad :(

Far too young, and he had so much promise. His poor family :( RIP

Terrible.

Every time I watch a race, I shiver at the risks these guys take for their lifes. Rugby is nothing in comparison to cycling.

If rugby had the number of deaths at pro level that cycling has in the past 10 years, there’d be people calling for it to be banned outright. It’s hard to see how you have a sport like road cycling and avoid such risks, though.

Meanwhile, Sam Bennett is making the Binckbank Tour sprinting field his absolute bitch right now. Hills tomorrow, so he’ll probably let the puncheurs have their day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:22 am 

Three in a row for him yesterday, his first sprint was a real thing of beauty. Showed some proper muscle to get himself in front. He's in great form.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:56 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Three in a row for him yesterday, his first sprint was a real thing of beauty. Showed some proper muscle to get himself in front. He's in great form.

Think he needs to get away from Sagans team to get more opportunities. He won't get to ride the tour with Sagan at Bora for example

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 am 

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Think he needs to get away from Sagans team to get more opportunities. He won't get to ride the tour with Sagan at Bora for example

Quite right, he's been linked with Quickstep and Viviani has moved to Cofidis so there is an opportunity there. Might find out soon enough, or perhaps after La Vuelta which he's due to ride.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Quite right, he's been linked with Quickstep and Viviani has moved to Cofidis so there is an opportunity there. Might find out soon enough, or perhaps after La Vuelta which he's due to ride.

Odd move for Viviani - he's not the fastest sprinter out there but he will pick up wins, although are Cofidis still after a World Tour slot?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 am 

Yeah I believe so. I heard UCI were increasing the licences from 18 to 20 and Cofidis have bought Viviani and another sprinter in anticipation of that. Bouhanni is also off their books too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 pm 

A good read on how Viviani ended up with Cofidis.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vasseur ... mechanics/

Vasseur seems to have his head screwed on as a DS. I can see Cofidis climbing back up the rankings with these signings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am 

I see MVDP took a break from podiuming at the CX World's to win a bunch sprint yesterday at the Arctic Race. Impressive stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:23 am 

DOB wrote:

Vasseur seems to have his head screwed on as a DS. I can see Cofidis climbing back up the rankings with these signings.

Fair enough. Cofidis are one of those weird teams that are at the tour each year without seemingly ever doing anything other than have Bouhanni cause a fuss. I know as pro-conti they are there without much expectation but other pro-conti teams at least seem to occasionally do something of note.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am 

DOB wrote:

I find it bizarre that a lot of the comments don't rate Viviani. I think he is a fabulous rider and seems to have the same ability as Cav had to jump wheels and pick the right option.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:27 am 

BlackMac wrote:
DOB wrote:

I find it bizarre that a lot of the comments don't rate Viviani. I think he is a fabulous rider and seems to have the same ability as Cav had to jump wheels and pick the right option.

He's just not quite as quick as the other top sprinters. Feeds a bit more on scraps comparatively.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 am 

blindcider wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
DOB wrote:

He's just not quite as quick as the other top sprinters. Feeds a bit more on scraps comparatively.

That's why I like him. Real competitor. His win in the Euro's was really impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:30 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
blindcider wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
DOB wrote:

That's why I like him. Real competitor. His win in the Euro's was really impressive.

He's had a great 2 years at QS, but, Olympics apart, his years at Sky were nothing stellar, so there must be a suspicion that his true level lies somewhere between.

His win at the Euros, and the Italian title last year, show that he's more than just a speedster, but at the same time, as a sprinter only 1 stage win this year from 2 Grand Tours with the QS train must feel a little low. QS backed Gaviria over him for the Tour last year, so I guess there's a general feeling that he's not quite at the top table of sprinters. Though it must be said there hasn't been a clearly defined sprinting heirarchy for a couple of seasons now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:22 pm 

Dan Martin off to Israel Cycling Academy :shock:

Bit surprised with that. They must have a reasonable hope then of getting bumped up to world tour level? He'll have sole leadership anyway, although didn't see much of Aru during his tenure at UAE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:18 pm 

Vuelta time approaching:

Ineos taking joint leaders with Geoghegan Hart and Poels
Movistar taking three leaders again in Valverde, Carapaz and Quintana
Astana taking Lopez and Fuglsang
Lotto-Jumbo taking Roglic, Kruijswijk and Bennett
Mitchelton-Scott seemingly taking Chaves

Got to fancy Roglic I think. The bookies certainly do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:30 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Vuelta time approaching:

Just saw this. Why no Thomas or Bernal? Has Carapaz left Movistar yet for Ineos?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:34 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Vuelta time approaching:

Just saw this. Why no Thomas or Bernal? Has Carapaz left Movistar yet for Ineos?

Too mountainous for Thomas, Bernal is probably too young to put through the stress of another 3 week tour.

Carapaz will join Ineos in the off-season

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:11 pm 

blindcider wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Vuelta time approaching:

Too mountainous for Thomas, Bernal is probably too young to put through the stress of another 3 week tour.

Carapaz will join Ineos in the off-season

I'm more surprised Sivakov isn't there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:17 pm 

Dumoulin officially to Jumbo :thumbup:

Roglic, Kruiswijk or BEnnet to leave?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Vuelta time approaching:

Would love to see Carapaz get another one, good luck though riding with two of the most selfish cyclists in the sport.

Strong team there for Jumbo Visma, as you say Roglic could be a very good shout.

Interested to see if Poels will have overcome a fairly crap Tour. Disappointed Dunbar didn't get a shout but probably unwise to put him through another GT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 pm 

Oh and UAE have a half decent team out. Henao, Conti, Aru, Podacar. Perhaps they've sorted out their energy drink issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 am 

Aru quietly sneaked up to 14th in the Tour this year despite the drink problem, and Pogacar looked slick at the Tour of California. And Conti led the Giro for 5 stages. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned up something good. But then again, it's UAE, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they bombed it completely.

Roglic has to be the favourite, really. He clearly peaked early in the spring, though, and he didn't have his Romandie legs by the time the big mountains in the Giro came around. If they've got that right this time around, and he doesn't lose a climbing domestique to a crash in week 1, it's hard to see him being stopped.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 am 

I'm going for Miguel Ángel López

Astana, Jumbo & Movistar have strong squads - so reckon the winner to come from those teams

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:27 am 

EF have a strong squad too. Uran has to be one of the top 5 riders in the peloton without a GT win yet (Roglic being another) and he's running out of time...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 am 

DOB wrote:
EF have a strong squad too. Uran has to be one of the top 5 riders in the peloton without a GT win yet (Roglic being another) and he's running out of time...

Difficult question time...

Who misses out on Top 5 without a GT win then? GC riders without a win Roglic, Uran, Poels, Landa, Kruiswijk, Porte, Martin, Pinot, Bardet, Lopez, Meintjies (sp?), Bennet, A Yates, Chaves, Zakarin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 am 

blindcider wrote:
DOB wrote:

Difficult question time...

Who misses out on Top 5 without a GT win then? GC riders without a win Roglic, Uran, Poels, Landa, Kruiswijk, Porte, Martin, Pinot, Bardet, Lopez, Meintjies (sp?), Bennet, A Yates, Chaves, Zakarin

Landa, Kruiswijk and Pinot to round out the 5.

The rest are a collection of good classics riders, stage hunters, and eternal top-10ers. Poels has found his level as domestique for top-tier riders, some of the others should take notes from him.

Now that I've typed that Chaves or Lopez will probably go and win the bloody thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:25 am 

Ive set-up a Superbru Pool for those interested.

Quote:
Join Planet Rugby Vuelta 2019, my Vuelta a España league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/vuelta/pool.php?p=12107433

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

flogyawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:10 pm 

Carapaz Goooooooooonnnnnnneeee. Crashed in a crit on Sunday, his injuries haven’t healed and he won’t start the Vuelta on Saturday.

Totally unrelated, but Julian Alaphilippe has restricted himself to just the one crit after his pretty awesome TdF ride, so as to be fresh as possible for t’World Championships in Yorkshire. Ay up.

Also, Ineos released their Vuelta lineup the other day, including Kenny Elissonde, who had been first reserve. Kenny spent all day Wednesday traveling to Spain, and on arrival got a phone call to say they’d changed their mind, and original selection David de la Cruz was back in the team. No Grand Tour for Elissonde this year, he’s off to Trek Segafredo in 2020. De la Cruz is probably going to Movistar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm 

DOB wrote:
Carapaz Goooooooooonnnnnnneeee. Crashed in a crit on Sunday, his injuries haven’t healed and he won’t start the Vuelta on Saturday.

Totally unrelated, but Julian Alaphilippe has restricted himself to just the one crit after his pretty awesome TdF ride, so as to be fresh as possible for t’World Championships in Yorkshire. Ay up.

Also, Ineos released their Vuelta lineup the other day, including Kenny Elissonde, who had been first reserve. Kenny spent all day Wednesday traveling to Spain, and on arrival got a phone call to say they’d changed their mind, and original selection David de la Cruz was back in the team. No Grand Tour for Elissonde this year, he’s off to Trek Segafredo in 2020. De la Cruz is probably going to Movistar.

Makes you wonder how any one can like this team...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 pm 

Tomorrow's first stage should be a formality for Jumbo.

I just wonder who they'll give the red jersey to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:01 pm 

Marcel Kittel’s officially hung up the wheels.

He was very much a one-trick horse, but when that trick is “pedal your bike 10 km/h faster than anyone else,” you can’t help but admire it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:09 am 

Pity about Kittel, really seemed like his head wasn't in it. Very handsome chap though it must be said - I reckon he finds a Crivit Pro modelling contract.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:41 am 

DOB wrote:
Marcel Kittel’s officially hung up the wheels.

He was very much a one-trick horse, but when that trick is “pedal your bike 10 km/h faster than anyone else,” you can’t help but admire it.

Truth be told Kittel wasn't even a good one trick pony, DOB.

Cavendish, in the modern era (late noughties), is probably the best sprinter.

Zabel was a phenomenal sprinter : then again Cippo was the gold standard then.
Back in the 90's, the Tashkent Terror was great. Jalabert. Steels.

Our own Sean Kelly of course. His duels with Eric Van Der Arden were something else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 am 

Ah here, Willie. Kittel on his day was unplayable. He left Cav looking silly on more than one occasion. And vice versa, of course, but there’s no denying Kittel had Cav and everyone else’s number several times.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:54 am 

DOB wrote:
Ah here, Willie. Kittel on his day was unplayable. He left Cav looking silly on more than one occasion. And vice versa, of course, but there’s no denying Kittel had Cav and everyone else’s number several times.

Look at Cavendish's number of stage win's. Kittel is nowhere by comparison. That seals it for me (and I don't particularly like Cavendish, but for me he was the quickest sprinter in the peloton bar none, then).

The quickest sprinter for me is down to between two Italians, Cippo or Bontempi.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 am 

Kittel has more Tour stage wins (14) than any of the sprinters you listed except Cav. He’s 13th on the all-time list for the Tour, and Cav is the only rider active since the 80s above him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de ... _per_rider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 am 

Disaster yesterday for Jumbo Visma, already 43 seconds down on Superman.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:50 pm 

Win for Quintana today.

Nico Roche finished today in the leaders jersey, delighted for him :thumbup: Hope he can retain it for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:37 am 

Great ride by Roche today. He should be able to defend it tomorrow and Tuesday. Wednesday is a Cat 1 summit finish, though. If he finished within 2s of Quintana on that one, he should buy a lottery ticket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3077 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next