Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 pm 

Peter Weinning, Holland at the front. He must be nearly 40 years old, seems to have been around for an age.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:41 pm 

MVP looking good for this.

Edit: He cracks just as I posted this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:45 pm 

Beaver_Shark wrote:

Thanks for calling out the mocker gods :frown:

and it's MvdP.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:49 pm 

Salanya wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:

Thanks for calling out the mocker gods :frown:

and it's MvdP.

My apologies ;)

Trentin now the favourite. He's got Moscon working or him, and he has the quickest sprint here.

Pedersen and Kung will have to go for broke soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:58 pm 

Sagan going at 3.5km, over a minute behind. Madness.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:01 pm 

Pedersen!!

Trentin went a bit too early there I thought. He had the better position and could have waited perhaps another 50m.

Cracking race!

Last edited by Beaver_Shark on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:04 pm 

Wow! Fancy that.

Distance in the legs can sometimes throw up surprises like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:06 pm 

Well done Mads Pedersen!

Always lovely when a cyclist is genuinely surprised/overwhelmed by his win. Great ride.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:41 pm 

Good ride from Pedersen, Trentin looking gutted on the podium.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:51 pm 

Great ride by Pedersen. Fair play to Kung as well, kept taking his pulls in the break even with faster riders alongside.

46 finishers listed. Vakoc last man at 19 minutes. Biblical.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:03 pm 

johnstrac wrote:
Good ride from Pedersen, Trentin looking gutted on the podium.

You can understand why. When he saw vdPoel drop off he must’ve thought it was done and dusted.

He’ll never have a Worlds route so perfect for him again, or have the full backing of as strong an Italian team for a championship race again. The stars aligned for him today, and he came away with silver.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 pm 

Rain stopped about 30mins after race. Such a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm 

Hardest race of the season. Amazing performance by Pedersen! Sagan left it too late, but he knew the breakaway would not have worked with him in the group. I guess he decided to spare his energy and hope for the peloton to catch up. Alaphilippe was cooked and couldn't follow the attackers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:21 pm 

That’s the funny thing. I think the one person who definitely would have worked with Sagan was vdPoel. He’s shown this season that he doesn’t much care for subtleties in his tactics. I think Kung would have worked with him too. And the Italians would’ve been happy to have Moscon work and Trentin sit on. I think only Pedersen would have claimed “I have Fuglsang back in the bunch.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:26 pm 

Just read there that Israel Cycling Academy bought Katusha :shock: WorldTour beckons, great news for Dunne and Martin.

Also saw that Ineos snatched Amador up, something about breaking an agreement with Movistar. FFS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:20 pm 

Dunne doesn’t have a contract for next season, and Katusha have 9 contracted riders who need to be taken care of. Nothing guaranteed for him just yet.

Amador’s agent represents a lot of Spanish riders, and apparently Movistar have had enough with him and refuse to do business with him anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:29 pm 

Actually thought Dunne had a contract for next season, serves me right for just reading the headlines! Bit shit he has another round of uncertainty but that's the sport really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:27 pm 

So, what's the take on next year TDF : LINK HERE ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 am 

At first glance, it’ll be tough.

The continued shortage of TTs is odd looking back at the race’s history. For all that they’ve tried it, the Tour has always managed to end up being the most conservatively races of the 3 GTs in recent years.

Half-planning an epic family voyage for the summer that would culminate on the Champs on 19 Juillet. Can any of the bored Frenchies recommend a decent, family friendly hotel within a brief journey (by foot or public transport) of the Champs and the Eiffel Tower, that is also easily accessible fro the Eurotunnel (which is probably how we will get to Paris), and that’s also near a good bakery where I can get baguettes and croissants in the morning?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:44 am 

DOB wrote:

The continued shortage of TTs is odd looking back at the race’s history. For all that they’ve tried it, the Tour has always managed to end up being the most conservatively races of the 3 GTs in recent years.

Half-planning an epic family voyage for the summer that would culminate on the Champs on 19 Juillet. Can any of the bored Frenchies recommend a decent, family friendly hotel within a brief journey (by foot or public transport) of the Champs and the Eiffel Tower, that is also easily accessible fro the Eurotunnel (which is probably how we will get to Paris), and that’s also near a good bakery where I can get baguettes and croissants in the morning?

The metro makes your request a bit redondant
Gare du nord is your landing point it's rather central. The champs are pretty much the most expensive spot in paris...

Can't help on hotels as for the bakery rule of the grannies is usually the best: look for one with a queue...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:43 am 

DOB wrote:

Looks like they are trying to make a French GC rider friendly parcours... You don't necessarily want the ITT to be decisive but a GC winner needs to be a decent all rounder and not just a mountain goat IMO

I'd love to see a genuinely difficult TT on a sporting course - That short stage with 3 brutal climbs of a few years back would have made an interesting TT course (although maybe it would provide too definitive a split)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:34 am 

blindcider wrote:
DOB wrote:

Looks like they are trying to make a French GC rider friendly parcours... You don't necessarily want the ITT to be decisive but a GC winner needs to be a decent all rounder and not just a mountain goat IMO

I'd love to see a genuinely difficult TT on a sporting course - That short stage with 3 brutal climbs of a few years back would have made an interesting TT course (although maybe it would provide too definitive a split)

For me every proper GT needs one flat(-ish) and long(-ish) ITT - 30km+. It's a shame they are going extinct. But apparently TV viewing figures are down by 40% on ITT stages.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:42 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
blindcider wrote:
DOB wrote:

For me every proper GT needs one flat(-ish) and long(-ish) ITT - 30km+. It's a shame they are going extinct. But apparently TV viewing figures are down by 40% on ITT stages.

Maybe a TT and a crit type stage on the same day and same course could make an interesting change and keep the viewing numbers higher with the public. The riders would hate it but two separate hours of hard racing effort on the same day would be awesome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:22 pm 

I think split-stages are against the rules now? I can’t remember the last time I saw it in a pro race. Maybe Criterium International still had it, to get 3 stages in 2 days, but thats off the calendar now.

A good TT route can make for an exciting stage, and definitely last year’s TT stage that Alaf won was a fantastic route; not just a flat power test, but a real bike handling examination. And yeah, a short circuit race on the same course would have been great, in fact that’s exactly what they did, only they had the women ride the circuit race and it ended up being a cracking race.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 pm 

What an exciting parcours for 2020, love it, especially the first few stages which will be brutal around Nice and southern Alps.

Last year TdF was as exciting as it gets, best in a long time, mainly because Ineos failed to arch-dominate the race.

The 2020 TT remains long and the first two thirds are flat or semi-flat, so there's room for superb spectacle. At the foot of the Planches, guys like Dumoulin or Roglic or Thomas may have a lot of lead over pure climbers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:02 am 

Tour of California will not take place in 2020.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-o ... -for-2020/

The initial guess across social media is that a significant factor was the law passed in California this year, that all sporting events taking place on public property, (ie, roads in this case) must have equal prize money for men and women. The organizers, AEG, who own a bunch of other pro sports teams and events in the US and especially in CA, haven’t mentioned the law either way.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:52 pm 

So, now Dr Freeman admits he ordered testosterone which was delivered at Sky headquarters, but says it was to treat a non rider. May be one of the mechanics? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
So, now Dr Freeman admits he ordered testosterone which was delivered at Sky headquarters, but says it was to treat a non rider. May be one of the mechanics? :roll:

"Aye, right" seems to be the appropriate response here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:56 pm 

DOB wrote:
Tour of California will not take place in 2020.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-o ... -for-2020/

The initial guess across social media is that a significant factor was the law passed in California this year, that all sporting events taking place on public property, (ie, roads in this case) must have equal prize money for men and women. The organizers, AEG, who own a bunch of other pro sports teams and events in the US and especially in CA, haven’t mentioned the law either way.

does the ToC have a women's event as well?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:45 pm 

It has a women’s event, with equal prize money for gc and for stage wins etc, but only 3 stages rather than the 7 of the men’s. It is unclear if this definitely falls foul of the law, but supporters of the law claim that it does and that the race needs to have the same number of stages for men and women.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:59 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:39 pm 

dinsdale wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

I'm with the Dog !

Freeman isn't the most convincing of witnesses.

Quote:
Dr Freeman alleges that the testosterone he ordered to British Cycling headquarters in 2011 was on behalf of Sutton.

Sutton, who is yet to give evidence at the tribunal, denies the claim.

Freeman claims he was "bullied" by Sutton into prescribing testosterone to treat the Australian's alleged erectile dysfunction, which Sutton denies.

On Tuesday, the tribunal ruled that the general topic of erectile dysfunction could be the subject of questions to Sutton in public.

So was Freeman just a incompetent Doctor, or Sutton an idiot ?

Since when has testosterone been a treatment for ED ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:00 pm 

Sutton, Shane Sutton? Last thing seemed like he needed is testosterone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm 

Raymond Poulidor has passed away :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:45 pm 

RIP, Pou-pou.

Other than when he was actually cycling behind Anquetil/Merckx, (or even in front, which he managed more often than he’s given credit for) you see very few photos of him not smiling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

RIP. :((

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:57 pm 

Laurent wrote:
Raymond Poulidor has passed away :(

A great shame.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:51 pm 

He still came to the podium at the TDF for the last several years and had the joy seeing his grand son becoming world champion few times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79