Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:00 am 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/ne ... d=12243469

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 am 

1. Can't we just keep this to a single thread, culture wars or some shit, rather than making a new one for every little incident that happens?

2. He wasn't expelled. He was suspended.

3. We was suspended for filming his teacher, not his position.

FFS.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:33 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
1. Can't we just keep this to a single thread, culture wars or some shit, rather than making a new one for every little incident that happens?

FFS.

Do you think the subject matter might have been a factor, and are you not concerned about the discussion as to what constitutes an acceptable opinion that a student is allowed to express?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:37 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Do you think the subject matter might have been a factor, and are you not concerned about the discussion as to what constitutes an acceptable opinion that a student is allowed to express?

Did you read the article? The teacher said he was welcome to his opinion.

Was he expelled? No.

Was he suspended for his opinion? No.

Do I give a shit about some highschool in bumfuck England? No.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:46 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

He has been suspended for a period of time that essentially means he cannot return to the school. It’s like being yellow carded with 5 minutes on the clock.

He was initially stood down but had the penalty extended “on review”

The whole issue arose because of his opinion in the first place, and the policy in place that states such an opinion is not allowed to be expressed.

You may not give a shit about a school in Bumfuck, England, but the fact that in the western world we are increasingly seeing sanctions for stating such opinions should concern you greatly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:47 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

He has been suspended for a period of time that essentially means he cannot return to the school. It’s like being yellow carded with 5 minutes on the clock.

The whole issue arose because of his opinion in the first place, and the policy in place that states such an opinion is not allowed to be expressed.

You may not give a shit about a school in Bumfuck, England, but the fact that in the western world we are increasingly seeing sanctions for stating such opinions should concern you greatly.

We was suspended for filming a teacher and putting it online.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:04 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

So to clarify:

- Teacher on a website said to the class "only having male and female is old fashioned"
- Student said that there were only two genders
- Teacher said he was entitled to his opinions
- Kid kept it up and was thrown out of class (kids are routinely kicked out for a spell in classes if my memory is right)
- He was then let back in
- He filmed the teacher and uploaded it to youtube
- He was suspended for filming the teacher

Not sure what the issue is. As far as I can see there is no suggestion anywhere he was suspended for his opinion, and suggesting so is dishonest at best.

For what its worth, I disagree with him as I think science suggests that there might only be two sexes but that gender and sexuality is fluid. We dont actually know why some people are transgender, but realise that it exists.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07238-8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:12 am 

Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

- Teacher on a website said to the class "only having male and female is old fashioned"
- Kid kept it up and was thrown out of class (kids are routinely kicked out for a spell in classes if my memory is right)

Not sure what the issue is. As far as I can see there is no suggestion anywhere he was suspended for his opinion, and suggesting so is dishonest at best.

For what its worth, I disagree with him as I think science suggests that there might only be two sexes but that gender and sexuality is fluid. We dont actually know why some people are transgender, but realise that it exists.

Yep.

As for sex/gender, I do believe most of the social construct stuff is total garbage.

One in 1,666 births is not XX and not XY. So 99.94% of people are male or female. 0.06% are intersex/other. I think two options male or female is fair based on those percentages. If you really wanted you could put 'other' as a third option I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:20 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

This is some sensible shit :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:48 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

As for sex/gender, I do believe most of the social construct stuff is total garbage.

One in 1,666 births is not XX and not XY. So 99.94% of people are male or female. 0.06% are intersex/other. I think two options male or female is fair based on those percentages. If you really wanted you could put 'other' as a third option I guess.

I believe Gender is a biological fact, is binary and there are only 2. There are a small minority who are intersex.

I believe Gender Identity is a social construct, there are far more options, and they should be respected. In much the same way as Native Americans viewed “Two Spirit” people.

I believe the current zeitgeist has conflated Gender and Gender Identity in the name of political correctness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

I believe Gender is a biological fact, is binary and there are only 2. There are a small minority who are intersex.

I believe Gender Identity is a social construct, there are far more options, and they should be respected. In much the same way as Native Americans viewed “Two Spirit” people.

I believe the current zeitgeist has conflated Gender and Gender Identity in the name of political correctness.

You don't know what the word zeitgeist and conflated mean. Also, if anyone ever said that sentence to me in real life I'd probably punch them in the throat. Why type of fcukwit even talks like that anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:03 am 

isn't a zeitgeist someone who goes around popping spots on teenage faces?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 am 

Hong Kong wrote:
isn't a zeitgeist someone who goes around popping spots on teenage faces?

I thought it was the ghost of Christmas past. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 am 

Now gak lord is back all the little fash and edgelords are showing off.
It's fash flirting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:34 am 

waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

😂😂😂😂 His return along with his main squeeze around the same time seems to have emboldened the rest. So just like their boy Trump emboldenening white supremacists

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:45 am 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

😂😂😂😂 His return along with his main squeeze around the same time seems to have emboldened the rest. So just like their boy Trump emboldenening white supremacists

There are reasons I don't delve into Trump or American politics threads. Too many loons. Angries up the blood, you see?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:52 am 

Thomas wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

There are reasons I don't delve into Trump or American politics threads. Too many loons. Angries up the blood, you see?

Never really read the Trump one but the Brexit one is full of total ideologues: the same people with 20,000+ posts that I have never seen post about rugby indulging in confirmation bias and linking to their own favored obscure sites as evidence to back up their dogma. People who cannot spell providing links to Applied Statistics paper, it beggars belief.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:55 am 

Thomas wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

You don't know what the word zeitgeist and conflated mean. Also, if anyone ever said that sentence to me in real life I'd probably punch them in the throat. Why type of fcukwit even talks like that anyway.

zeitgeist
/ˈzʌɪtɡʌɪst/

noun: zeitgeist

the defining spirit or mood of a particular period of history as shown by the ideas and beliefs of the time.

conflate

verb
verb: conflate; 3rd person present: conflates; past tense: conflated; past participle: conflated; gerund or present participle: conflating

combine (two or more sets of information, texts, ideas, etc.) into one.

Go figure.

I stand by what I said. You're welcome to try and punch me in the throat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Thomas wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

Never really read the Trump one but the Brexit one is full of total ideologues: the same people with 20,000+ posts that I have never seen post about rugby indulging in confirmation bias and linking to their own favored obscure sites as evidence to back up their dogma. People who cannot spell providing links to Applied Statistics paper, it beggars belief.

How did we get from talking about Gender Identity to Trump and Brexit? Are you chaps off your meds?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:01 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Thomas wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

How did we get from talking about Gender Identity to Trump and Brexit? Are you chaps off your meds?

The Trump thread is essentially a bunch of people retweeting Trump plus emoticon, me posting the odd thing, and 25 people talking about my post. Not much going on at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Thomas wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

I was but going to the pub tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:

It's simple how we got there. Posters who enjoy argung about gender and gender identity are the same type of posters who enjoy the circular arguments on the Trump and Brexit threads. Basically endless, pointless arguments between progressives and conservatives, with no-one ever changing their mind or point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:16 am 

Farva wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

So to clarify:

This now days

But the problem is the hand wringers keep trying to merge the two terms and for a very long time they were interchangeable, so it gets a bit silly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 am 

Farva wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

So to clarify:

Can you clarify the difference between Biological Gender and Gender Identity. Gender Identity, as I understand it, is a social construct and is fluid. Biological Gender, (Male or Female) is a matter of observed fact. I have no issue with someone having a different Gender Identity to the one that was observed at birth, but one is a matter of biology, and is scientific. The other is a matter that is defined through other critera.

Do Transgender people exist? Of course they do. Do they deserve respect? Absolutely. But when we incorrectly (in my opinion) unify objective Biological fact with modern subjective Social Constructs, we head down the wrong path.

If you tell me some boys are girls and some girls are boys, I would say you're wrong. If you tell me some boys identify as girls and some girls identify as boys, I would agree with that, and respect that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:22 am 

Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

Aberdeenshire is in bumfuçk Scotland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:29 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Farva wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:

So to clarify:

Can you clarify the difference between Biological Gender and Gender Identity. Gender Identity, as I understand it, is a social construct and is fluid. Biological Gender, (Male or Female) is a matter of observed fact. I have no issue with someone having a different Gender Identity to the one that was observed at birth, but one is a matter of biology, and is scientific. The other is a matter that is defined through other critera.

Do Transgender people exist? Of course they do. Do they deserve respect? Absolutely. But when we incorrectly (in my opinion) unify objective Biological fact with modern subjective Social Constructs, we head down the wrong path.

If you tell me some boys are girls and some girls are boys, I would say you're wrong. If you tell me some boys identify as girls and some girls identify as boys, I would agree with that, and respect that.

Sex is biological fact when they are born (except of very rare occasions where people are born intersex and someone has to pick)

Gender is whatever their brain tells them they should be. Which when it doesn't match is gender dysphoria, which some argue is a disorder (think it used to be even classified as one).

People who chose to change their appearance and behaviour to match their different "Gender" are trans and obviously do exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:34 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

Pretty clear that neither of you read the article given the school isn’t in f**king England.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 am 

kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

That's great kid, but all it tells us is you don't know what the word 'gender' means. I could explain it to you but you are more likely to learn if you find out for yourself. A little clue, gender is specifically NOT to do with biological characteristics

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:37 am 

Gwenno wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

FFS.

Was he expelled? No.

Aberdeenshire is in bumfuçk Scotland.

Which is a province of England, is it not?

Ok, you got me there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:59 am 

Much as I used to avoid using the word 'gender' outside of discussions about grammar, it is a useful term to differentiate between the biological state of the body, its sex, and the state of mind that the person feels most comfortable with, the gender. The problem arises when sex and gender are treated as synonyms, which they clearly are not. It also means that the term 'gender reassignment surgery', while sounding wordy and pretentious, I believe, is more accurate. In biological terms, a man that has had gender reassignment surgery is now a castrated man with a penis amputation and breast implants, taking oestrogen - but not a biological woman.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:59 am 

MrJonno wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

That's great kid, but all it tells us is you don't know what the word 'gender' means. I could explain it to you but you are more likely to learn if you find out for yourself. A little clue, gender is specifically NOT to do with biological characteristics

So, in that case, when we refer to a person as Male or Female, are we talking about their Sex, or their Gender?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am 

MrJonno wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

Does this mean I don't need to post about how gender is mainly about grammar?

OK then, I won't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am 

Gender is the idea that despite a near total correlation between biological sex and gender identity there is no relationship between them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:29 am 

MungoMan wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
kiwidutchie wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Farva wrote:

So to clarify:

Yep.

Does this mean I don't need to post about how gender is mainly about grammar?

OK then, I won't.

Too late. As language change goes, this one irritates me less than the the trend where similar sounding words, or similar meaning words become effective synonyms, e.g. Decimate and destroy (because it sounds like desecrate?), expect and anticipate, full and fulsome - at least this change is being used to express subtlety and to differentiate. But I don't expect it last. In a few decades sex will only refer to fuçking, and biology textbooks will talk about the gender chromosomes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:31 am 

Santa wrote:
Gender is the idea that despite a near total correlation between biological sex and gender identity there is no relationship between them.

Till they started letting people change their birth certificates and in some cases hospitals started smear test reminders to dudes, because the biological records weren't right

And in this case a baby died, because "the bloke" was a chick and they weren't told

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/20/pregnant ... r-9613972/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 am 

Biology is the shit science anyways compared to physics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:38 am 

waguser wrote:
It's fash flirting.

I'm going to come back to this post at some stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 am 

Dark wrote:
Santa wrote:

Till they started letting people change their birth certificates and in some cases hospitals started smear test reminders to dudes, because the biological records weren't right

And in this case a baby died, because "the bloke" was a chick and they weren't told

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/20/pregnant ... r-9613972/

Shit :(
I remember a click bait article claiming first case of a pregnant man , but of course he was a woman. Dangerous and stupid. Saying that x is y doesn’t make it so. If we are going to carry on in this vein we need to have ‘gender’ and ‘sex’ on questionnaires. How long before we have a ‘woman’ dying of metastatic prostate cancer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:45 am 

Related to this strange topic, there has been a massive spat between the queen of the lower middle classes Sharon Davies MBE and Owen Jones re this tweet:

https://twitter.com/sharrond62/status/1 ... 5517686784

Jones called her a transphobe and homophobe, and she's now calling in her lawyers. It's quite funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:47 am 

Gwenno wrote:
Much as I used to avoid using the word 'gender' outside of discussions about grammar, it is a useful term to differentiate between the biological state of the body, its sex, and the state of mind that the person feels most comfortable with, the gender. The problem arises when sex and gender are treated as synonyms, which they clearly are not. It also means that the term 'gender reassignment surgery', while sounding wordy and pretentious, I believe, is more accurate. In biological terms, a man that has had gender reassignment surgery is now a castrated man with a penis amputation and breast implants, taking oestrogen - but not a biological woman.

I know you probably think you have been impeccably sensible there, it will not save you from the gulag.