Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 133  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am 

Binged the second season of Travellers in two nights. Good stuff if you like your sci-fi, much better than the first season.

There are a lot of logical pitfalls you have to overlook as with any time travel story though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:57 pm 

The best show on TV aka Black Mirror is back, opening episode is a cracker.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:52 pm 

Leinstertainment is back, the 2018 installment looks like it's going to be unmissable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:50 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Watching The Punisher on Netflix. Not a bad effort.

Starts well, but meanders badly in the middle before going into full filler mode.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:22 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Starts well, but meanders badly in the middle before going into full filler mode.

Agree.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:49 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Agree.

One reviewer wrapped it up quite well by saying that at the midway point, one gets the impression the writers simply don't want to be writing the Punisher. Whether that's due to Marvel dictates or the writer's whims, it makes for very disappointing viewing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

Turenne wrote:
The best show on TV aka Black Mirror is back, opening episode is a cracker.

Yes! Just got an email from Netflix about that.

Now if only I didn't have so much drinking and bbqing to do over the next few days I could watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:01 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Also there were concerns that S3 of Narcos woul dnot happen due to the location scout getting killed. But it looks like they are gong ahead regardless. Money talks. Probably will say som ebollox that S3 is in memory of him. Narcos is probably my fav series ever.

S4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:56 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Binged the second season of Travellers in two nights. Good stuff if you like your sci-fi, much better than the first season.

There are a lot of logical pitfalls you have to overlook as with any time travel story though.

I enjoy Travelers (think I may have mentioned it already in this thread), especially the blonde chick, surprised it's your cup of tea really as it's a light weight entertaining show and your movie tastes are a bit high brow :D .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 am 

Saw the 1st ep of the new Black Mirror, solid stuff for the most part. Brooker seems to be struggling to recycle his familiar themes of tech warnings, immersive gaming etc but he definitely knows how to keep it all entertaining. The Star Trek parodying was very amusing.

“Have” to wait to watch the rest with the mrs, apparently.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:54 am 

Probably time Brooker does the time honoured British TV process of ending the show before it really overstays its welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 am 

Speaking of brooker - is there a screenwipe this year?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:45 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:

Doesn't look like it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:45 am 

naki wrote:
Saw the 1st ep of the new Black Mirror, solid stuff for the most part. Brooker seems to be struggling to recycle his familiar themes of tech warnings, immersive gaming etc but he definitely knows how to keep it all entertaining. The Star Trek parodying was very amusing.

I've watched 1 & 2 so far.

1 :thumbup:
2 :thumbdown:

2 was very much Black Mirror by numbers.

For this year I am looking forward to Castle Rock, an agglomeration of a good few Stephen King stories based around the town of Castle Rock. But it's a Stephen King adaptation so there's an 80% chance of it being shit.

Waco looks good too. Michael Shannon's involved so I am on board.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

Nah he said he's been too busy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 am 

alliswell wrote:
naki wrote:

I've watched 1 & 2 so far.

1 :thumbup:
2 :thumbdown:

2 was very much Black Mirror by numbers.

For this year I am looking forward to Castle Rock, an agglomeration of a good few Stephen King stories based around the town of Castle Rock. But it's a Stephen King adaptation so there's an 80% chance of it being shit.

Waco looks good too. Michael Shannon's involved so I am on board.

I'm watching Black Mirror and it's very good, if inconsistent in the quality of its episodes.
It seems to be straying into the ridiculous with this American season, with some plot holes you could drive a bus through.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:13 pm 

I watched the miniseries Godless (Netflix), a western. I really enjoyed it although will admit it was uneven and was wrongly advertised as women-focused (main characters were men). Beautifully shot and acted. Jeff Daniels is top quality as the bad guy, he is truly frightening. I do love a good western.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:07 pm 

Black Mirror as awesome as always. The John Hillcoat one (no. 3) is as bleak as fudge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:13 pm 

Gomorrah 3rd season was amazing again. Brutal and shocking.

Just started 'Dark'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 am 

Bindi wrote:
Black Mirror as awesome as always. The John Hillcoat one (no. 3) is as bleak as fudge.

I only got 3 episodes into the first series...is it worth persevering?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 am 

My all-time favourite series, The X Files, is back tomorrow night. Reviews suggests that the first episode is... not good (mythology, written by Chris Carter, not surprising it's rubbish...) but that the rest are very much back to "classic" form.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 am 

Bindi wrote:

I thought the ArkAngel episode of this latest season was the best.

Episode 1 was dreadful, really dumb. Full of awful plot holes.

The Black museum has that issue as well.

It's lost more than a little subtlety and restraint since going Stateside.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Bindi wrote:

It's good, really excellent bleak sci fi at times.
It's also very uneven at other times, sometimes derivative.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Bindi wrote:

The quality of the show is up and down, which makes sense I suppose since it's a new story every episode. Season 3 was very good though. Had my two favourite episodes in that season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 am 

True Blue wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Bindi wrote:

The quality of the show is up and down, which makes sense I suppose since it's a new story every episode. Season 3 was very good though. Had my two favourite episodes in that season.

I think the last one I watched was the 50s style woman organising an FB style thing?!

It was crap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 am 

HertzCat wrote:
My all-time favourite series, The X Files, is back tomorrow night. Reviews suggests that the first episode is... not good (mythology, written by Chris Carter, not surprising it's rubbish...) but that the rest are very much back to "classic" form.

:lol: He can't help himself, can he? Hopefully we get another Darin Morgan episode to balance it out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:24 am 

True Blue wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Yeah, it’s always been uneven (eg that Waldo ep in the first season) but usually full of interesting ideas and moments regardless. Seems like they’ve run out of them this season, that dating app episode (number 3 or 4?) was quite sweet but felt like a complete BM retread. I can only assume the last episode is intentional self parody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:47 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
HertzCat wrote:

:lol: He can't help himself, can he? Hopefully we get another Darin Morgan episode to balance it out.

Chris Carter = George Lucas and I claim my £5...

There is a Darin Morgan episode and apparently it is everything that one might hope for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:30 am 

Guy Mann (Rhys Darby) episode was the BEST episode last season...hope Darin's episode in the new season is just as good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 am 

Late to this one, but absolutely loving Westworld :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 am 

assfly wrote:

I started watching it on a Qantas flight back from Melbourne - they hadn't censored it. :shock:

Magnificent Bristols throughout!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
assfly wrote:

I started watching it on a Qantas flight back from Melbourne - they hadn't censored it. :shock:

Magnificent Bristols throughout!

Thandie Newton has cracking nips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:48 pm 

enjoying season 3 of the tunnel.....and season 3 peaky blinders is on netflix wooohooo !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

McMafia on BBC has been excellent so far about the Russian mafia, reminds me a bit of the Night manager.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 am 

If you were a kid in the 80s who played with Star Wars, GI Joe or He-Man (even Barbie), there's a four-part doc series on Netflix that's interesting called The Toys That Made Us.

I didn't know the guy on the left (MASH episode) was the creator of the GI Joe comics!

... fun fact they didn't cover in the GI Joe doc. Despite saying that some toy people had their likenesses in several toys, they didn't talk about how the comic creator hated the pressure to put more toys in what was a pretty good comic. He ended up killing a bunch off to spite them including one of the toys they showed had a real-person likeness at Hasbro! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm 

getting into Tin Star now also - Tim Roth is excellent and the irish missus is great - yer man from Corrie banging the bird that owns the biker bar was eh unexpected

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:21 pm 

This could be fantastic. IF it's done right. From the director of 13th. Butler's work is one of the most vastly underrated in the sci-fi world imo.

Quote:
A new dawn on the small screen is coming for Octavia E. Butler’s Dawn.

The classic 1987 science fiction novel by the Nebula- and Hugo Award-winning author has been picked up by Ava DuVernay, Charles D. King’s Macro and director-writer Victoria Mahoney for adaption into a television series, I’ve learned.

In what remarkably is the first time that Science Fiction Hall of Famer’s Butler’s work has been adapted for TV, Mahoney will pen the series about an African-American woman who works with aliens to resurrect the human race 250 years after a nuclear war. King and DuVernay will executive produce the Dawn series. The ex-WME partner and the A Wrinkle in Time director will be joined as EP by Kim Roth, Poppy Hanks, Allen Bain, Gary Pearl, Thomas L. Carter and Teddy Smith. King’s media company Macro, Forward Movement, Oil & Cattle and Bainframe will produce – the latter has been on the effort to bring Butler’s work to TV since 2015.

Related‘The Defenders’ Review: Krysten Ritter & Sigourney Weaver Strong In Team-Up
The estate of Butler, who died in 2006, was represented in this deal by the agent for the estate, Merrilee Heifetz of Writers House, LLC, with Gary Pearl.

A prolific author who used sci-fi to address issues of race, gender and hierarchy, among others, Butler in 1995 was the first writer in the genre to be awarded the MacArthur Fellowship aka the Genius Grant. Led by the aptly named character of Lilith Iyapo, Dawn is the first book in what has been called Butler’s Lilith’s Brood trilogy, which also includes 1988’s Adulthood Rites and 1989’s Imago.

Having recently announced the hourlong political drama Indivisible with CNN regular Van Jones, King’s Macro co-financed and produced the Oscar-nominated Fences, directed by and starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, In addition to the film based on August Wilson’s Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning play, Macro has also produced and financed the Sundance contender Mudbound, among other projects.

With her Netflix-streamed documentary 13th nominated for eight Emmys this year, DuVernay is repped by CAA and Del, Shaw. Mahoney is repped by Verve, the Mission Entertainment and Hirsch Wallerstein.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:18 am 

Anybody here watch "Derry Girls"?

Thought it was quite funny. Will watch it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 am 

This is hilarious, I knew these ideas sounded familiar. Brooker quite clearly lifting from the finest conceptual mind of the modern age, Karl Pilkington

https://youtu.be/dbMtuJ1tZnc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am 

Anybody watching 'Dark'? Netflix' German Stranger Things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 133  Next