Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:11 am 

Bowens wrote:
Just caught up on Vice Principals (HBO) season 2. Might be funnier than the first. :lol:

Thought the second series was hilarious!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 am 

Just finished the 3rd season of Gomorrah. Although it was pretty good, I didn’t think it was in the same level as the first two. Although, not many tv shows are.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am 

El Homerino wrote:
Just finished the 3rd season of Gomorrah. Although it was pretty good, I didn’t think it was in the same level as the first two. Although, not many tv shows are.

Yeah, I still find it compulsive viewing, but the writing has gone to shit. It reminds me a bit of how Game of Thrones has gone - they seem to think up a series of face-offs, but aren’t too arsed about the set-up. Find the new set of characters pretty weak also.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:41 am 

That Maltese is poor, altered carbon is good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:48 am 

james garner wrote:
i am still enjoying the new star trek, lets be honest the plots are mental, but they have managed the trick of making it relevant (in a modern tv series sense again), ie lots of short term action. Try going back to enterprise after this.

good twist to introduce michelle yeoh and kill her in the first episode. Then the new captain is presented as a renegade hero winning the war for several episodes, then it turns out hew is from another (evil) universe and is basically a plum, also there where michelle pops up again as an evil version, who might have redeeming qualities if only she is brought back to the good universe. Either way they have just killed the action loving hero captain just after they suckered you in, before revealing he was a fraud.

when did tv get so obsessed with having to blow your mind on each episode?

Struggling with Star Trek to be honest. The alternate universe story arc is just a bit lazy and along with 'time travel' seems to be a standard plot device in the Trek universe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Brazil wrote:
ASMO wrote:
Dunnikin Diver wrote:
Brazil wrote:
Anybody watching Britannia? Two episodes in and can't decide whether it's enjoyable nonsense or annoying shit. Severely lacking in historical accuracy so far.

I've gone enjoyable nonsense for a few episodes, but when supergirl and flash kick off for 2018 I am not sure this will compete

It is utter shit, had high hopes, a bit like a SA super rugby side, it promised much but delivered fudge all

The absence of historical accuracy is deeply disappointing.

We're up to episode 4 and, whilst it's enjoyable nonsense, it's well below the standard of GoT, Rome, Vikings etc, and leads me to suspect that there may be something of the Emperor's New Clothes about Jez Butterworth.

Per earlier post, gave up after three episodes.

As for historical accuracy, we know what British chariots looked like, we know what the native horses were like. The chariots were massively more sophisticated, and there were no great big warm bloods whose nutritional requirements could not be met in that level of agriculture, but rather hardy, stocky native ponies that can fend for themselves. Rather specific I know, but it is an interest of mine.

Meanwhile there are stone halls in the programme there is no chance they could build.

I was using "Historical Accuracy" in the traditional Bored meaning of Tits and Arse. However, you're right, it was a massive missed opportunity to do produce something genuinely interesting and engaging and instead got inexplicable leather armour, sub-GOT Plotlines, crap characterisation and tedious drug-taking ("ooh, you should be watching this after you've smoked a spliff" Really? Well the majority of your audience won't be marajiuana bores, you hoxtonite twat). Having watched through to the end, I can confirm it doesn't get any better, and ends with a predictable cliff-hanger. What's disappointing is that it'll put off any production of a decent Roman series for a while because they'll either continue with this or, if it gets canned, cite it as a justification that the audience isn't there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 am 

On the subject of Roman productions, I see that James Purefoy has managed to find a way display his impressively large penis on screen again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am 

Bowens wrote:
Just caught up on Vice Principals (HBO) season 2. Might be funnier than the first. :lol:

i think its very under rated ; Gamby is fcukin hilarious and Lee Russell isn't far behind (and Snodgrass has a very nice bottom)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 am 

Westworld S2 April 23

trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... UmfriZoMw0

ooooo http://delosdestinations.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am 

Watching through Peep Show right now, pretty funny and extremely awkward at times :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Been watching both seasons of The Good Place, that's some funny shit.

Such a fantastic show. Almost finished Altered Carbon. Pretty damn good. Usually hate flashbacks but they've done it well for the show. Was wondering how they'd have so much of Quell. Good stuff...

Quite want to watch Altered Carbon, sounds promising. I just don't get Joel Kinnaman though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Such a fantastic show. Almost finished Altered Carbon. Pretty damn good. Usually hate flashbacks but they've done it well for the show. Was wondering how they'd have so much of Quell. Good stuff...

Quite want to watch Altered Carbon, sounds promising. I just don't get Joel Kinnaman though.

He works well enough for this, I think. His character is a gruff, violent bastard so Kinnaman is fine.
Ortega is brilliant, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

He was really really good in The Killing series. Was a big fan of his after that but yeah he sucked balls in everything I've seen him in since. The sanitised Robocop reboot especially x(
Haven't seen this show yet though

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:44 pm 

Has anyone watched Timeless, featuring a professor, soldier and computer techy trying to stop someone from using time travel to ruin the past (or is he?)?

I'm three eps in and am not looking too hard at the potential inaccuracies or time paradoxes, and I really like it.

Spend some decent money on sets, costumes, props, CGI too...

I tried a couple of sci-fi looking shows - Dark Matter and the one where a bunch of young people are sent down to earth to see if it's still habitable - and while I stopped watching because the stories and actors didn't hook me, I couldn't help but thing "Ah, they don't have much of a budget" when it came to showing me this different world they live in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

He works well enough for this, I think. His character is a gruff, violent bastard so Kinnaman is fine.

I assume it'll be a different actor if there is a season two.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 am 

By the by, I made use of Amazon's one-month trial of Amazon Prime recently and plowed my way through the AMC series: Halt and Catch Fire.

Worth watching. A little slow at times, but it tracks the "rise of tech" through the early 1980s and into the 90s. Lots of references to atari, the Commodore 64 and the original Nintendo. Solid acting and a decent soundtrack to match.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Has anyone watched Timeless, featuring a professor, soldier and computer techy trying to stop someone from using time travel to ruin the past (or is he?)?

I'm three eps in and am not looking too hard at the potential inaccuracies or time paradoxes, and I really like it.

I tried a couple of sci-fi looking shows - Dark Matter and the one where a bunch of young people are sent down to earth to see if it's still habitable - and while I stopped watching because the stories and actors didn't hook me, I couldn't help but thing "Ah, they don't have much of a budget" when it came to showing me this different world they live in.

If you haven't seen it, The Expanse is the best Sci-Fi show since Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 am 

I'm just on the last episode of Timeless. Good fun. They've seriously messed around with history, so will be interested to see how they tie things up. Decent depth in the plots too, going a bit further than my beloved Quantum Leap. In that show, it was always fix something that went wrong, it's difficult, but Sam fixes it despite that.

I read that the show runners were inspired by Back to the Future and Quantum Leap, and I suspect they've ran with the 'Evil Leaper' idea that, imo, never really got fleshed out in Quantum Leap (someone who's going around doing the opposite of what Sam's doing). This show isn't just that, though, because the guy doing it has a motive that's maybe not totally evil. Our three heroes also have some big dilemmas along the way themselves, with what they're doing and with things that could be changed.

Cheers for the recommendation, Sonny. I've also been told to check out Altered Carbon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:24 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
I'm just on the last episode of Timeless. Good fun. They've seriously messed around with history, so will be interested to see how they tie things up. Decent depth in the plots too, going a bit further than my beloved Quantum Leap. In that show, it was always fix something that went wrong, it's difficult, but Sam fixes it despite that.

I read that the show runners were inspired by Back to the Future and Quantum Leap, and I suspect they've ran with the 'Evil Leaper' idea that, imo, never really got fleshed out in Quantum Leap (someone who's going around doing the opposite of what Sam's doing). This show isn't just that, though, because the guy doing it has a motive that's maybe not totally evil. Our three heroes also have some big dilemmas along the way themselves, with what they're doing and with things that could be changed.

Cheers for the recommendation, Sonny. I've also been told to check out Altered Carbon.

I think S2 is starting next month after initially being cancelled.

Conservative Eddie wrote:
By the by, I made use of Amazon's one-month trial of Amazon Prime recently and plowed my way through the AMC series: Halt and Catch Fire.

Worth watching. A little slow at times, but it tracks the "rise of tech" through the early 1980s and into the 90s. Lots of references to atari, the Commodore 64 and the original Nintendo. Solid acting and a decent soundtrack to match.

The last two seasons of Halt and Catch Fire were some of the best TV seasons ever. It's a bit of an underrated show along with The Americans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 am 

Halt & Catch Fire was a great show, but it did fall afoul of a bit of Gump ism whereby the 4 main characters were always stumbling on the big innovations in tech. Not as bad as it sounds as the tech industry would have been fairly insular, but it often made the characters out to be all visionary due to 20 20 hindsight.

That said, they were great characters and it was very watchable. I did think they made Donna a bit of a villain at times which felt a bit shoe-horned.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:19 am 

Just popping in to say that Altered Carbon is the bomb. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:22 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Halt & Catch Fire was a great show, but it did fall afoul of a bit of Gump ism whereby the 4 main characters were always stumbling on the big innovations in tech. Not as bad as it sounds as the tech industry would have been fairly insular, but it often made the characters out to be all visionary due to 20 20 hindsight.

That said, they were great characters and it was very watchable. I did think they made Donna a bit of a villain at times which felt a bit shoe-horned.

I think they balanced it pretty well in that only one time did they actually look to be ahead of the pack and successful, the others they were in the pack and unsuccessful.

As much as I liked the show I hated Cameron the character, always liked Donna though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am 

Legion is back April 3rd. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

The Native wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

I assume it'll be a different actor if there is a season two.

You'd imagine so. Isn't he black in book 2?

Neigs, watch the expanse. I really enjoy it. Gritty "realistic" sci fi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 pm 

No 'The Expanse' on Canadian Netflix. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:22 pm 

I see Homeland is back
Can't remember where i stopped watching :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:46 pm 

Cartman wrote:
I see Homeland is back

If you're like most of the viewers - at the Mountain Lion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am 

Cartman wrote:
I see Homeland is back

2 episodes into season 2 for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 am 

Nieghorn wrote:

Yeah Timeless is pretty good to watch. It's an NBC show so it's pretty clean which makes a change.

Travellers is another pretty good time travel show (although in that show, they come to our time). Continiuum is another. I mentioned it already but Future Man is also good to watch, but it's the total opposite of Timeless (it's crude and sexual)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 am 

Hellraiser wrote:
Legion is back April 3rd. :thumbup:

Fantastic news. Such a good show.

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Agreed. Just a few things that irked me. The skinhead sleeve. Bit silly having neo-Nazis in that kind of future I thought. And I never realised from the books, but the timeline for the show seems...problematic. Other than that, fantastic stuff.

Turbogoat wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Haven't seen him in anything else but thought he was good enough.

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Bowens wrote:

i think its very under rated ; Gamby is fcukin hilarious and Lee Russell isn't far behind (and Snodgrass has a very nice bottom)

Just finished season 1. Fantastic show!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:29 am 

I've watched about half a season of Altered Carbon. Bit of a slow burner for me but has definitely picked up.

And yes, I don't quite understand the timeline. What year is this supposed to take place in because a google shows the 24th century but that makes no sense as that guy was part of an interstellar rebellion or whatever 250 years prior to the show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 am 

Brazil wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Per earlier post, gave up after three episodes.

As for historical accuracy, we know what British chariots looked like, we know what the native horses were like. The chariots were massively more sophisticated, and there were no great big warm bloods whose nutritional requirements could not be met in that level of agriculture, but rather hardy, stocky native ponies that can fend for themselves. Rather specific I know, but it is an interest of mine.

Meanwhile there are stone halls in the programme there is no chance they could build.

I was using "Historical Accuracy" in the traditional Bored meaning of Tits and Arse. However, you're right, it was a massive missed opportunity to do produce something genuinely interesting and engaging and instead got inexplicable leather armour, sub-GOT Plotlines, crap characterisation and tedious drug-taking ("ooh, you should be watching this after you've smoked a spliff" Really? Well the majority of your audience won't be marajiuana bores, you hoxtonite twat). Having watched through to the end, I can confirm it doesn't get any better, and ends with a predictable cliff-hanger. What's disappointing is that it'll put off any production of a decent Roman series for a while because they'll either continue with this or, if it gets canned, cite it as a justification that the audience isn't there.

That had slipped my mind. I might have made things more bearable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 am 

The Grand Tour has rapidly disappearing up its own arse for a while.

I've just watched an episode where they 'tested' three cars I am interested in (well two I am interested in, and another of the same type I'm not). At the end I had learned exactly nothing of any use to me. How is that possible?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:21 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
The Grand Tour has rapidly disappearing up its own arse for a while.

I've just watched an episode where they 'tested' three cars I am interested in (well two I am interested in, and another of the same type I'm not). At the end I had learned exactly nothing of any use to me. How is that possible?

Jeremy Clarkson. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

It is VERY good but massively diverges from the book from Season 6.

It doesn't ruin it for me but I don't understand the need to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 am 

True Blue wrote:
I've watched about half a season of Altered Carbon. Bit of a slow burner for me but has definitely picked up.

And yes, I don't quite understand the timeline. What year is this supposed to take place in because a google shows the 24th century but that makes no sense as that guy was part of an interstellar rebellion or whatever 250 years prior to the show.

I'm not so fussed about the timeline as I am fussed at what it implies. [NOTE, NO SPOILERS]. When Kovac meets the rich dude, he is asked whether he knows of the technology whereby you can back up your mind at set intervals (every two days for the rich dude). He says yes, but that he'd never met anyone rich enough.

Fair enough, but that was 250 years ago. There's never been any technology that has mass appeal whereby the price didn't drop like a stone between decades. You'd expect something that only the rich could afford 250 years ago would cost peanuts in the present.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Fair enough, but that was 250 years ago. There's never been any technology that has mass appeal whereby the price didn't drop like a stone between decades. You'd expect something that only the rich could afford 250 years ago would cost peanuts in the present.

I figure that's a "1 percenter" analogy and that the super rich kind of make sure that tech isn't freely available (note: I haven't read the books and am only about 3 episodes in).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:02 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Season 6??? Are YOU from the future???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Season 6??? Are YOU from the future???

Totally jumped the shark when they cast Ted McGinley as the new lead in season 5.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 am 

Started in on Ascension. Not too bad a concept. Won't spoil, but starts with the offspring of 600 people who left earth on a generation ship in the early 1960s. 51 years in and there's a murder that could upset everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next