Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 123  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:35 pm 

This new Star Trek is alright so far, its a step change from most previous series.

Apparently the hard core Trekkies hate because of the openly gay characters and because it doesn't really fit the timeline in terms of the technology they have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:37 pm 

Tried to get in to the 100 recently, had to give up on season 2, too many different tropes in one show, and too many stupid characters repeating the same mistakes from previous episodes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:23 pm 

james garner wrote:
This new Star Trek is alright so far, its a step change from most previous series.

Apparently the hard core Trekkies hate because of the openly gay characters and because it doesn't really fit the timeline in terms of the technology they have.

I thought some Trekkies hated it because it was more like the movies (a war story) and not like the old series (sci-fi morality stories).

I gave up after a few episodes, preferring The Orville, do don't know how it's played out to this point. I also thought the re-design of Klingons was hacky. Why bother? It's like suddenly making Wookies have well groomed brindled dog hair and deepening Chewie's growl.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 pm 

I assume it's been mentioned in this 100+page thread, but anyone watched Shameless? I've just started watching. Thoroughly enjoyable with a brilliant cast of actors, mostly unknown to me (other than William H Macy).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:53 pm 

Moncreif wrote:
I assume it's been mentioned in this 100+page thread, but anyone watched Shameless? I've just started watching. Thoroughly enjoyable with a brilliant cast of actors, mostly unknown to me (other than William H Macy).

We binge watch every season as a family. Every Easter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
james garner wrote:

I thought some Trekkies hated it because it was more like the movies (a war story) and not like the old series (sci-fi morality stories).

I gave up after a few episodes, preferring The Orville, do don't know how it's played out to this point. I also thought the re-design of Klingons was hacky. Why bother? It's like suddenly making Wookies have well groomed brindled dog hair and deepening Chewie's growl.

I suppose its like any modern reboot, hence the more like the movies view - all the better from my point of view. Just carrying on like new generation or the hopeless one with the quantum leap fella would be pointless. the new Klingons have some merit but get boring very quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:40 am 

james garner wrote:

I have really really enjoyed the new Star Trek. I wish they had released it all at the same time so I could binge watch because the weekly episode thing is so fvcking 1980's.

Also the latest episode of Peaky fookin' Blinders ended on a cliff hanger. Because there is a season 5 I fear it is going to end poorly for the eyetalian lads, but I am nervous about who may be getting topped from the Blinders. Tom should be safe, the rest?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm 

Finally finished the Punisher. Really enjoyed it. Thought some of the themes like vets feeling abandoned and domestic terrorism were actually quite good. More emotion than I thought would be in a series like it.

Some of the violence in the last few episodes had me fairly squirming in my seat. x(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 pm 

Watched about 2/3rds of the first episode of knightfall and couldn't be bothered to finish it. Could be a slow starter I guess, and I had just watched the latest episode of Vikings, so that may have tarnished it a bit too.

Anyone seen the 2nd episode care to say if it improves?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 pm 

Peaky Blinders is building to good finish. Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy are both good, Hardy is pretty entertaining. Adrien Brody's character is unlikable and seems quite a caricature.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Ok I can't watch Designed Survivor anymore. The second season is trying to be the West Wing and it's failing so so miserably.

Haven't seen the most recent episode. It is trying very hard to be another White House drama, with a contrived issues dredged up each week. The over-arcing stories are very forced too.
It was good when there was a thriller aspect to it and they were trying to uncover the conspiracy. Without that, it's fairly meh.

That's exactly it. And every single contrived problem has the same resolution, Jack sends his minions out to try fix it, something insurmountable seems to get in their way, Jack talks tough and everything works out.

Season 1 was interesting with the whole who-bombed-the-fucking-capitol plot but season 2 just has nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:18 am 

Jack. :lol:
Try as he might, that's who he is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
james garner wrote:

Check youtube, a lot of Trekkies hate the black/gay characters in STD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:08 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Watching Sinner on Netflix.

Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman - detective/mystery/thriller type show.

2 episodes in a really enjoying it.

i like it - Babylon Berlin is another good one.

4 episodes in now.....intriguing stuff. Genuinely wondering where it is going to go.

Well.....wasn't expecting to go there......all rather taboo and saucy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 pm 

manhunt: Unabomber (Netflix)

Ran through it in 2 days.

very good.

Tunnel S3 started now on Sky :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 pm 

Wormwood. Errol Morris doing MKUltra. Holy fudge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm 

Bindi wrote:

Oh shit. Thanks for the heads up, it's in my queue now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:04 pm 

SYFY's HAPPY is pretty good, 2 episodes in..funny and entertaining..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:11 pm 

comets wrote:
SYFY's HAPPY is pretty good, 2 episodes in..funny and entertaining..

Looks like utter madness. I'm in!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:42 pm 

naki wrote:
Bindi wrote:

Oh shit. Thanks for the heads up, it's in my queue now.

Reminding me of Waltz with Bashir, but without the animation. Gripping stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:33 pm 

I've been watching Better Call Saul. And it's a slow burner and really quite very very good. Writing and acting is superb.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:26 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Best episodes are Angel, Band Candy, Triangle and anything with smoking hot Dark Willow.

Band Candy is a cracker. The one where they make Buffy into a musical is also really good.

The call back in "Earshot" is great.

Quote:
[Buffy reads her mom's thoughts]

Buffy: You had sex with Giles? You had *sex* with Giles?

Joyce: It was the candy, we were teenagers.

Buffy: On the hood of a police car?

Joyce: I'll be downstairs. You feel better.

Buffy: *Twice*?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
The Man Without Fear wrote:
Best episodes are Angel, Band Candy, Triangle and anything with smoking hot Dark Willow.

Band Candy is a cracker. The one where they make Buffy into a musical is also really good.

Haven't watched the whole thing back to back for almost a decade.

Best episode of all IMO is 'Hush' from season 4.

'Doppelgangland' with Dark Willow is :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:07 am 

League of Gentlemen - was fully prepared to be disappointed, but thought it a brilliant return. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 am 

[quote="Red Chopper"]League of Gentlemen - was fully prepared to be disappointed, but thought it a brilliant return. :thumbup:[/quote

Absolutely Class. Some nice nods to the past and more again tonight. Laughed at "small business adviser" way too much

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:29 am 

Poshprop wrote:
Red Chopper wrote:
League of Gentlemen - was fully prepared to be disappointed, but thought it a brilliant return. :thumbup:[/quote

Absolutely Class. Some nice nods to the past and more again tonight. Laughed at "small business adviser" way too much

For some reason, I nearly fell off my chair at Pam Doove reading the shipping forecast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 pm 

Dark is the best new show I have seen. Bad dubbing and all it is well done by those Germans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:47 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:

very good.

Wife loved the Unabomber movie. She actually felt sorry for McV.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:13 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:

very good.

Was just about to post about it, just started it, so far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:10 pm 

The gf has been watching Gossip Girl recently (having already watched it through on more than one occasion in the past, I'm fairly sure), so I've been exposed to bit of it.

It's just so bad. Why do people enjoy this shit and why do people make it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:23 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
I've been watching Better Call Saul. And it's a slow burner and really quite very very good. Writing and acting is superb.

Truly a unique show in my opinion. The pacing just makes it seem very rich. It’s obviously slow moving, but not as slow as it initially appears.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 pm 

Red Chopper wrote:
League of Gentlemen - was fully prepared to be disappointed, but thought it a brilliant return. :thumbup:

I'm going to watch this tomorrow evening again, all three back to back, just to try and pick up all the stuff I missed. So many wtf moments. Loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:23 am 

Nolanator wrote:
The gf has been watching Gossip Girl recently (having already watched it through on more than one occasion in the past, I'm fairly sure), so I've been exposed to bit of it.

It's just so bad. Why do people enjoy this shit and why do people make it?

Young people like looking at attractive people (as do older people)?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:00 am 

Just finished watching the third (final) series of Sky's version of The Tunnel. Better than series two. What makes it stand out is the chemistry between the leads: Stephen Dillane and Clémence Poésy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 am 

Peaky Blinders Season 6 was pretty good. Fairly predictable ending but good avenues for the next season to explore.

Spoiler: show
The only disappointment was seeing Tom Hardy's character die and Adrien Brody's get such a simple death. I fucking hated that wop bastard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

Finished Babylon Berlin both seasons now. Very good but thought season 1 was better as the story is a bit more down to earth whereas in season 2 when it picks up the unresolved story is gets a bit too action thriller at times. Still, interesting to learn about the Black Reichswehr and the dark side and beginnings of the fall of the Weimar Republic before the Nazis started to become a real power (not sure how much of it is pure fiction though).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 pm 

Just heard that the makers of Vikings are doing a tv version of that great film, Ronin.

Maybe they won't completely balls it up and they'll do a half decent job of it. Maybe we'll finally get to find out what the colour of the boathouse is at Heeeeeeerford?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 pm 

Jesus lads. Working through Black Mirror and the episode about social ranking points is toe-curlingly wince inducing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 am 

Watching The Punisher on Netflix. Not a bad effort.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:17 am 

Also there were concerns that S3 of Narcos woul dnot happen due to the location scout getting killed. But it looks like they are gong ahead regardless. Money talks. Probably will say som ebollox that S3 is in memory of him. Narcos is probably my fav series ever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 123  Next