Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 163  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 pm 

I’ve been enjoying Tin Star.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:46 am 

Just rewatched Rome (the HBO series). Obviously not one for sticklers of historical accuracy, but fab tv. Real shame they canned it after two series, as following on the whole Octavian arc would have been good.

TV needs more characters like Titus Pullo.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:22 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
I’ve been enjoying Tin Star.

got mixed reviews but i liked it,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
3rd season of True Detective - hope it's an improvement on the last one.

They have gone back to the tried and tested formula from season 1 by the looks of it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm 

Friends from College is back on Netflix for a second season - it’s very funny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:53 pm 

Halfway through binge watching the new season of The Punisher.
They've dialled up the blood and guts this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:53 pm 

Black Monday on Showtime is good.

First ep is free
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bla ... ORM=VRRTAP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 pm 

True Detective season 3 looks gangz so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:

Just finished episode 5, jeez you weren't kidding. That dude's face x(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

And it only gets more bloody after that, too.
It may seem gratuitous, but having an action hero who actually gets damaged is a nice change from all the invulnerable types who ever get a scratch or lose functionality.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

It may seem gratuitous, but having an action hero who actually gets damaged is a nice change from all the invulnerable types who ever get a scratch or lose functionality.

Nah, I love it. Hand to hand fighting is nasty and if you involve implements it only gets worse, you have to admire the relative realism if nothing else. Frank was punching mighty fine for a dude with his hand in brace though...

I'm enjoying his dynamic with the girl more than I thought I might. The editing means their more light hearted scenes aren't too jarring and they really help break up what could be a relentlessly po-faced series otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 am 

For a change of pace have been watching the South Korean epic 6 Flying Dragons on Netflix- has kept me away from Season 2 of The Punisher.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:09 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
For a change of pace have been watching the South Korean epic 6 Flying Dragons on Netflix- has kept me away from Season 2 of The Punisher.

can't watch Japanese, korean, or chinese shows like that it feels like you are watching the same thing over and over again..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Nah, I love it. Hand to hand fighting is nasty and if you involve implements it only gets worse, you have to admire the relative realism if nothing else. Frank was punching mighty fine for a dude with his hand in brace though...

I'm enjoying his dynamic with the girl more than I thought I might. The editing means their more light hearted scenes aren't too jarring and they really help break up what could be a relentlessly po-faced series otherwise.

The "Assault on Precinct 13" episode (episode 3 i think) was pretty good...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 am 

Binge walking The Good Place
Its enjoyable enough to pass the time

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 am 

If you have YouTube Premium, I recommend a show called Wayne. Dark action comedy, very good so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm 

Kingdom has just arrived on Netflix. Medieval Korea with Zombies. 6 Episodes and renewed for 2nd Season. Can have with subtitles or dubbed or both. There is a difference between subtitles and dubbed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 pm 

Season 13 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a couple of brilliantly funny episodes.

S2 of Punisher off to a great start.

Sex Education had been decently good, superb retro sountrack

Last edited by Insane_Homer on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:09 pm 

The Punisher was good. The non-violent story arcs worked reasonably well, IMO. Shows that he's actual got some sort of moral compass, as opposed to just the utter violence. It's a fairly central element of his character, so I suppose that they had to do it.

One bug-bear is how quickly everyone recovers from the absolute carnage in the fights. Whatever about people moving relatively freely after being winged by a bullet, someone who's just taken several knuckle duster shots to the head is going to be dribbling and fed through a straw for the rest of their short life, rather than quickly shaking it off and the stamping the other guy's head through a table or something.
I know, it's a comic book show, but it's just daft.

Still, it was an entertaining series.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pm 

Just watched a season of good girls as I was trying to find a show to watch that wasn't an "our" show.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:01 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The Punisher was good. The non-violent story arcs worked reasonably well, IMO. Shows that he's actual got some sort of moral compass, as opposed to just the utter violence. It's a fairly central element of his character, so I suppose that they had to do it.

One bug-bear is how quickly everyone recovers from the absolute carnage in the fights. Whatever about people moving relatively freely after being winged by a bullet, someone who's just taken several knuckle duster shots to the head is going to be dribbling and fed through a straw for the rest of their short life, rather than quickly shaking it off and the stamping the other guy's head through a table or something.

they use comic logic, lets just put it this way, this is a "meta-verse" so basically everyone has a meta-gene in them which allows some people to heal faster but being able to heal faster is not really a super power now is it?, to a degree, the punisher has that ability but its not his power.. wolverine has healing abilities but his power is his adamantium claws..Deadpool has healing abilities but his power is immortality of sorts..and just like punisher who is a very good brawler, deadpool is really good with guns and swords..whenever in any comics we talk about a character, we don't ask what his powers are, we ask what his powers and abilities are ..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:19 am 

comets wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

can't watch Japanese, korean, or chinese shows like that it feels like you are watching the same thing over and over again..

Fair enough but its got more plot twists and turns than anything else I have watched. A great cast and reasonably close historically, apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:00 am 

Only looking forward to one series this year - the TV adaption of my favourite book Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 am 

Phredd wrote:
Only looking forward to one series this year - the TV adaption of my favourite book Good Omens (Pratchett/Gaiman).

Dear sweet merciful baby Jesus, please don't let them balls it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am 

comets wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

they use comic logic, lets just put it this way, this is a "meta-verse" so basically everyone has a meta-gene in them which allows some people to heal faster but being able to heal faster is not really a super power now is it?, to a degree, the punisher has that ability but its not his power.. wolverine has healing abilities but his power is his adamantium claws..Deadpool has healing abilities but his power is immortality of sorts..and just like punisher who is a very good brawler, deadpool is really good with guns and swords..whenever in any comics we talk about a character, we don't ask what his powers are, we ask what his powers and abilities are ..

While most comic book characters do seem to have heightened resilience, otherwise fights would last about one 6 panel page or 30 seconds of screen time, both Deadpool and Wolverine explicitly have their healing factors as part of their power set. Other characters can take a beating, Logan can regrow his body mass in a few minutes (see any of the numerous explosions he's been on the wrong end of; the one in Civil War: Wolverine is probably the best example as he talks through what's growing back).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:23 am 

Frank Castle isn't supposed to have any comic-book super powers, so he is supposed to take some time to mend.
As I said earlier, it was refreshing to actually have an action hero take damage and lose functionality, rather than just have bullets bounce off him.
They did have some time with his hand in a cast, or other results of his injuries which also was a decent change.

In the real world though? Yeah, he'd be laid up for months with some of the trauma inflicted, hell the cumulative effect would probably have him in a wheelchair eating dinner through a straw. The healing process is definitely time-compressed, but I'm more willing to forgive that as it keeps the story moving. It'd have been a crap series of the Punisher if after the 3rd episode we'd just had scenes of him having his catheter changed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:33 pm 

Ex-special forces in TV/Film tends to = able to take the kind of beating that would hospitalise an elephant.

Half the season devoted to Frank's long, painstaking recovery from what would undoubtedly be multiple broken bones, gun shots, stab wounds and concussion (probably some internal bleeding from damaged organs too) would certainly have been a bold direction to go in vs. audience expectations.

Total film did an article a couple of years ago with some doctors assessing the medical impact for the hero in various films like Die Hard and Crank. Mostly it was 'oh yeah he'd be dead by minute 30 or at the very least too incapacitated to do much other than lie in a hospital bed'. They also covered human centipede, which was fairly grim. Prognosis: On the generous assumption that anyone survived the surgery, sepsis would have them inside 24 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:47 pm 

Ex special forces guy arrives fresh to fight takes a wupping from the evildoer and is left for dead, wakes up makes a tourniquet out of his laces.
Catches up with evil guy who sneers at him and leaves henchman to deal with him, takes a beating but wins and goes on to knock seven kinds of shite out the evil doer, taking quite few blows to the head first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:
Frank Castle isn't supposed to have any comic-book super powers, so he is supposed to take some time to mend.
As I said earlier, it was refreshing to actually have an action hero take damage and lose functionality, rather than just have bullets bounce off him.
They did have some time with his hand in a cast, or other results of his injuries which also was a decent change.

In the real world though? Yeah, he'd be laid up for months with some of the trauma inflicted, hell the cumulative effect would probably have him in a wheelchair eating dinner through a straw. The healing process is definitely time-compressed, but I'm more willing to forgive that as it keeps the story moving. It'd have been a crap series of the Punisher if after the 3rd episode we'd just had scenes of him having his catheter changed.

AH yeah. TBF to the show, the final boss battles are absolute slugfests where all parties are already completely broken from their ordeals leading to the climactic scenes. That, at least, is realistic. I recall in the first season that he had a black eye which slowly got better over the course of a few episodes.

The Lethal Weapon logic of dislocating his shoulder and then mashing it against the wall to put it back and then using his arm normally is really stupid, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:11 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

AH yeah. TBF to the show, the final boss battles are absolute slugfests where all parties are already completely broken from their ordeals leading to the climactic scenes. That, at least, is realistic. I recall in the first season that he had a black eye which slowly got better over the course of a few episodes.

The Lethal Weapon logic of dislocating his shoulder and then mashing it against the wall to put it back and then using his arm normally is really stupid, though.

I have the burden of knowledge when it comes to these kind of trauma injuries so really have to bite my tongue when watching any of this stuff. I've learned to suspend my disbelief a lot, but can really appreciate when they do get things right now.
What little experience I've had on movie sets has actually helped a lot with appreciating what they need to do to tell the story though. Compressing the time it takes to recover is a big one, but they also have to keep the attention of the audience, so typical methods of things like reducing a shoulder dislocation wouldn't be nearly as gripping as the Lethal Weapon trope.
I guess I'm no longer quite so eager to point out every detail they get wrong, but ONLY if it's moving the story along. When they do it just to look cool, rather than for a purpose, I still crack the shits.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm 

A more realistic outcome of being handcuffed to a rail and the ambulance going off a bridge would be like one of the final scenes in Con Air, where Danny Trejo's arm is left dangling while they take him body away. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:03 pm 

Looking forward to the new series of Endeavour in Feb.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:04 pm 

Not sure about Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery, although Season 1 took about 5 episodes before it started to warm up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm 

Started Discovery season 2. Writing seems a bit all over the place to start with. Some scenes really don't work and the story is a bit disjointed. I suppose that'll settle.

Fill me in. Pike was captain of the Enterprise before Kirk, yeah? Is the story here that after Pike joins Discovery, Enterprise goes back to base and Kirk takes over?
The quip about uniforms and the red shirt not being the one to die was amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:31 pm 

boring start but the "preview" for the seaosn looks good.. hopefully it will pick up by episode 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm 

Here, this shit about humans being picked up from Earth and living on another planet at a more primitive developmental stage. Star Trek have done this before. I'm fairly certain that there was an episode of Enterprise where they found a human colony on some random planet who were stuck in the Wild West stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 pm 

You'd be hard pushed to finda more satisfying final episode to something than Punisher S2 E13.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:58 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Here, this shit about humans being picked up from Earth and living on another planet at a more primitive developmental stage. Star Trek have done this before. I'm fairly certain that there was an episode of Enterprise where they found a human colony on some random planet who were stuck in the Wild West stage.

It's been done many times, it seems a staple of Star Trek to have at least one of those episodes per star trek series.

The next one they like doing is a time travel episode to the exact year the series is filmed. They do that every show as well. Saves costs I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:46 am 

Finally started The Wire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:49 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Finally started The Wire.

Allow me to spoil it for you....

....McNulty was a ghost the whole time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 163  Next