Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 183  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:44 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Just started Das Boot.

So far (1 episode in) - sod being in a submarine. Just sod that right off.

Interesting watching a World War 2 show that doesn't make all German's bad people.

Has anyone else watched it - does it hold a high level throughout?

Stick with it.

One of the best things I have ever watched. Ever.

Think you would like the real life/documentaries about subs, one sub had flags on its side to denote ships sunk, aircraft shot down also enemy subs sunk.
They even had a bridge painted on the conning tower which bridge they blew up when the found no shipping.
Then there was the Targ? which sank itself with it's own torpedo.
Will try to remember the prog name.

Brought the young lad onto Le Redoutable, the decommissioned French nuclear sub, moored as a permanent exhibition in Cherbourg last year. Highly recommend it and the submarine/bathyscaph museum to anyone with even a passing interest. Right beside the ferry terminals so dead handy for filling time once the requisite dozen cases of wine have been stashed before hitting the ferry.

Even in a reasonably big unit like that one you still feel somewhat relieved to be coming up and out for air at the end of the tour...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Just started Das Boot.

Interesting watching a World War 2 show that doesn't make all German's bad people.

Yeah we smashed it out pretty quickly.

Had a wee tour round a diesel sub in faslane once. I completely agree about doing that for real.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:52 pm 

redderneck wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Just started Das Boot.

Stick with it.

Think you would like the real life/documentaries about subs, one sub had flags on its side to denote ships sunk, aircraft shot down also enemy subs sunk.
They even had a bridge painted on the conning tower which bridge they blew up when the found no shipping.

Brought the young lad onto Le Redoutable, the decommissioned French nuclear sub, moored as a permanent exhibition in Cherbourg last year. Highly recommend it and the submarine/bathyscaph museum to anyone with even a passing interest. Right beside the ferry terminals so dead handy for filling time once the requisite dozen cases of wine have been stashed before hitting the ferry.

Even in a reasonably big unit like that one you still feel somewhat relieved to be coming up and out for air at the end of the tour...

Only been in the touristy ones, you would want to see my six foot seven Nephew trying to squeeze in to one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:52 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
redderneck wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
redderneck wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Just started Das Boot.

Stick with it.

Only been in the touristy ones, you would want to see my six foot seven Nephew trying to squeeze in to one.

One thing for sure as you come out of it (and the tour itself is really only about an hour long if you don;t hang about) - you'll know if you were ever cut out to be a submariner/miner/fcukwitpotholing bastard. Not for meeeeee...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:45 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
akann wrote:
The trailer for Cobra Kai Season 2 looks amazing. Cobra Kai was the best show on TV last year imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXoQJx3jYs

Looking forward to this one, that first season was far better than I'd have thought a series based on the Karate kid could be.

Came here on Saturday night and ended up staying up to 4:30am binge watching the first 8 episodes. Went out yesterday but just finished watching the final 2 this morning. Really great series, I really liked the way this flipped the well worn concept of this is the 'good character' and this is the 'bad character'. I don't watch as much tv like I used to as I don't think the quality is that great and I prefer books for the way the good writers can craft better rounded and more consistent characters while the story is unfolding but this was excellent and up there is with True Detective s3 as the best thing I have watched in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the recommendation I wouldn't have watched if I didn't came here and read this on Saturday night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:51 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
maxbox wrote:
Didn’t Southland have that burly fella from band of brothers in it? Also the guy from Gotham. Seemed an entertaining enough police procedural (only watched about 3 episodes on late night channel 2)

That's the one. It's really worth finding the entire series and binge watching it. Gritty realism plus a compelling storyline.

Cheers for the recommendation! I'm about three eps in myself and am sold. Gritty, but so far not at all unrealistic (as far as I know). As mentioned before, I like shows that do the day-to-day.

First ep credits and I already figured out I'd like it because two of the three executive producers (Christopher Chulack and John Wells) were responsible for my beloved Third Watch. I even spotted two 'vets' from the show in the pilot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:34 am 

Just wanted to reiterate how good the second season of Barry has been...

Quality.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:36 am 

only now getting into "Veep" - Christ its funny - and in another late to the show admission, finally got around to watch second episode of "Line of Duty" last night - really don't get the hype tbh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 pm 

I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson

Sketch show with some funny bits
And some unfunny bits
Worth it i reckon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:00 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCrOzKkGHc

New horror series released on netflix today. Looks good, will probably be rubbish, but at least it looks like more of a horror than Haunting of Hill House

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm 

Vegged out on Vikings from the start recently. Pretty good actually. Hadnt great expectations. Pretty cool all told.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:20 pm 

Have binged my way to season 8 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, how have I avoided this show for so long? Danny Devito is just brilliant as Frank.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:23 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Have binged my way to season 8 of Always Sunny in Philadelphia, how have I avoided this show for so long? Danny Devito is just brilliant as Frank.

It's my favourite show out. It gets worse around season 10-12, aside from a few class episodes, but the most of the latest season was brilliant :thumbup:

Frank is by far the best character though

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:31 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:

It's my favourite show out. It gets worse around season 10-12, aside from a few class episodes, but the most of the latest season was brilliant :thumbup:

I could easily be Charlie, except I couldn’t do the ratting, watched ‘Macs day’ earlier, I feel it’s leading up to something about Mac.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:38 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:

I could easily be Charlie, except I couldn’t do the ratting, watched ‘Macs day’ earlier, I feel it’s leading up to something about Mac.

Do you stalk your local waitress as well?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 pm 

Well, she is lovely.

And, I don’t stalk, I protect her.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm 

:lol:

It is genius in an outrageous way. Don't want to spoil anything by mentioning it, but there have been some episodes you could rewatch loads and still find hilarious

The Gang Buys a Boat is one of the best episodes in the first few seasons from memory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:17 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCrOzKkGHc

New horror series released on netflix today. Looks good, will probably be rubbish, but at least it looks like more of a horror than Haunting of Hill House

looks good but the guy cast to play the female lead's father looks like a shitty choice for the role.. it takes one poor actor to ruin a whole show..i'll wait til;l the show gets good reviews and then watch it..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:25 am 

tubbyj wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
akann wrote:
The trailer for Cobra Kai Season 2 looks amazing. Cobra Kai was the best show on TV last year imo.

Looking forward to this one, that first season was far better than I'd have thought a series based on the Karate kid could be.

Came here on Saturday night and ended up staying up to 4:30am binge watching the first 8 episodes. Went out yesterday but just finished watching the final 2 this morning. Really great series, I really liked the way this flipped the well worn concept of this is the 'good character' and this is the 'bad character'. I don't watch as much tv like I used to as I don't think the quality is that great and I prefer books for the way the good writers can craft better rounded and more consistent characters while the story is unfolding but this was excellent and up there is with True Detective s3 as the best thing I have watched in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the recommendation I wouldn't have watched if I didn't came here and read this on Saturday night.

Brilliant show. Loved Season 2, felt Season 1 was slightly better but there really wasn't much in it. Just wish the episodes were a little bit longer. Billy Zabka deserves an Emmy imo for his role as Johnny Lawrence, very underrated actor.

Glad you enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:18 am 

I'm late to the party but I've just started Silicon Valley, having watched half the first season. It's OK, does it get better?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:24 am 

The Native wrote:
I'm late to the party but I've just started Silicon Valley, having watched half the first season. It's OK, does it get better?

You’ve watched more than I managed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
:lol:

It is genius in an outrageous way. Don't want to spoil anything by mentioning it, but there have been some episodes you could rewatch loads and still find hilarious

The Gang Buys a Boat is one of the best episodes in the first few seasons from memory

The drinking game episodes are among my favourites. I might have to watch them again today now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:55 am 

Finished Counterpart season 2.

Such a good show, absolutely gutted it got canned. Still open enough for a resurrection but that was resolved enough.

Spoiler: show
we can just assume that Alpha world has a big flu pandemic where hundreds of millions die like prime world and they never reopen the portal. Shame though, had so much potential

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:36 pm 

Bosch was not great, I wonder will they make a spin off for J Edgar.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

I really liked Bosch. You’re a heathen and deserve to be cast out from this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:46 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

Such a good show, absolutely gutted it got canned. Still open enough for a resurrection but that was resolved enough.

we can just assume that Alpha world has a big flu pandemic where hundreds of millions die like prime world and they never reopen the portal. Shame though, had so much potential

Yep, great show. Apparently they've been shopping it around to other networks/streamers. Be great if Amazon took it tho I doubt anyone will. One of those shows highly critically appraised but barely anyone watched.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
The Native wrote:

Brilliant show

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:16 am 

Just come on to say that Billions has hit it's straps on Season 4, and is back to being the best show on TV after an average couple of opening episodes. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:26 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
The Native wrote:

Brilliant show

I too started watching this due to the hype it but it didn’t live up to it.

Is it like Parks and Rec where it takes a season to sort itself out?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:01 am 

UncleFB wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
The Native wrote:

Brilliant show

I too started watching this due to the hype it but it didn’t live up to it.

Is it like Parks and Rec where it takes a season to sort itself out?

I advise perseverance. It gets better with each season imo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:32 pm 

Speed Racer wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Yep, great show. Apparently they've been shopping it around to other networks/streamers. Be great if Amazon took it tho I doubt anyone will. One of those shows highly critically appraised but barely anyone watched.

Officially dead apparently. Came close to a deal with someone but couldnt get it over the line. Would have taken off on a bigger platform than starz with a bit of promotion I think.

Dammit.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:09 am 

anyone watching "Quicksand" ? latest Scandi drama on Netflix ? good cast with plenty of recognisable faces, good reviews but a bit underwhelmed after watching 1st episode.
ps I love Billions !

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:13 am 

Nice little tribute to The Shield here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/30/all-hail-the-shield-the-scuzzy-forgotten-classic-of-tvs-golden-age#comments

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm 

Tacoma FD is turning into a nice comedy show

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:55 pm 

akann wrote:
tubbyj wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
akann wrote:

Brilliant show. Loved Season 2, felt Season 1 was slightly better but there really wasn't much in it. Just wish the episodes were a little bit longer. Billy Zabka deserves an Emmy imo for his role as Johnny Lawrence, very underrated actor.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Seems I can now watch Cobra Kai legally without a youtube premium sub. Is it aimed primarily at kids?

only now getting into "Veep" - Christ its funny - and in another late to the show admission, finally got around to watch second episode of "Line of Duty" last night - really don't get the hype tbh
Veep is v good. Trust you have seen The Thick of It (the British politics 'version' from the same writer) and the In The Loop film, where US and British politics overlap?

Also, give Line of Duty more of a chance. I think series 1 was kind of a 'pot boiler' for me, but I was hooked by the end. I can imagine that the current hype doesn't help someone approaching it from the start

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:24 pm 

Cheers for that, yeah enough people whose opinion I share rave about line of duty so i,'ll crack on with it. Thick of It has been on my list for a while, must get to it and will check out the Loop, cheers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:35 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Black Summer was meh,

Run! Zombies Sprint!

Disagree. That exactly what it would be like. Total chaos

Am watching it currently. It is hilariously terrible. Am watching the episode where the guy finds a fully
stocked supermarket in the middle of a zombie apocalypse that’s been going on weeks. That’s a stroke of luck. Then he somehow manages to alert his zombie nemesis to his whereabouts despite said zombie growling so loudly as to make its own whereabouts known at all times. Said zombie somehow is fooled by a school bus. Plenty of serviceable cars everywhere in the streets.. does he look for keys on house? No he goes to the one piece of shit car that somehow has keys hidden behind the visor. How lucky! But then car won’t start.. oh no!

It’s one of those shows that’s so awful that I’m kind of guiltily enjoying it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 pm 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

I really liked Bosch. You’re a heathen and deserve to be cast out from this thread.

Tbf I thought season 4 was far better written, season 5 seemed unbalanced. They tried to ramp it up with the plane thing, the violence was gratuitous, the whole Maddie working with the 'enemy' and everyone cool was bonkers, the Crate and Barrel wasn't done well and J Edgar's needed more work. Season 4 was smarter and tighter. I'm guessing in S6 it's going to be the Chinese he goes after.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 pm 

LA to Vegas. Decent comedy just started on Comedy Central.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Tbf I thought season 4 was far better written, season 5 seemed unbalanced. They tried to ramp it up with the plane thing, the violence was gratuitous, the whole Maddie working with the 'enemy' and everyone cool was bonkers, the Crate and Barrel wasn't done well and J Edgar's needed more work. Season 4 was smarter and tighter. I'm guessing in S6 it's going to be the Chinese he goes after.

Also Daisy's killer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 183  Next