Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 am 

UncleFB wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Try the Night Manager.

I think this was the most overrated TV show I've seen in a long time. It reminded me of an 80s show to be honest and not one from this golden age of TV.

I really liked it; Le Carre books tend to transfer to screen very well and TNM was no exception; Laurie and Hollander also make for excellent, very intense, villains!

The Fall is an excellent crime/thriller series, with added Gillian Anderson :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 am 

Joost wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Try the Night Manager.

I think this was the most overrated TV show I've seen in a long time. It reminded me of an 80s show to be honest and not one from this golden age of TV.

I really liked it; Le Carre books tend to transfer to screen very well and TNM was no exception; Laurie and Hollander also make for excellent, very intense, villains!

The Fall is an excellent crime/thriller series, with added Gillian Anderson :thumbup:

I like Le Carre books and some of the adaptions for the screen, but as I said, I felt like I was watching at 80s tv show. I might have loved it in the 80s, well I definitely would have loved the boobies on display in the 80s.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:20 pm 

Has anyone watched Castle Rock? I’m looking for something a little bit scary but not too scary. I don’t expect it to be groundbreaking but want it to be watchable. I thought The Mist was boring and didn’t make it through the first episode.

I’m expecting it to be a bit like Wayward Pines, which I did enjoy. Is that right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:27 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Has anyone watched Castle Rock? I’m looking for something a little bit scary but not too scary. I don’t expect it to be groundbreaking but want it to be watchable. I thought The Mist was boring and didn’t make it through the first episode.

I’m expecting it to be a bit like Wayward Pines, which I did enjoy. Is that right?

I stopped after 3 episodes as I found it supremely dull. Even the lovely Jane Levy couldn't make me persevere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

I stopped after 3 episodes as I found it supremely dull. Even the lovely Jane Levy couldn't make me persevere.

Bummer. I’m on the lookout for a show that’s just for me. You know when you’ve got a missus and every show becomes ‘our show’ so you can never watch something at your own leisure. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Bummer. I’m on the lookout for a show that’s just for me. You know when you’ve got a missus and every show becomes ‘our show’ so you can never watch something at your own leisure. :thumbdown:

Unfortunately the critical consensus iirc was 'well acted, but meh'.

I feel like there's a real dearth of enjoyable* English language genre fare at the moment.

*which doesn't necessarily mean funny or entertaining, rather where the next episode is eagerly anticipated. Then again I could just be jaded having watched too much TV over the last 15 years.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:08 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Unfortunately the critical consensus iirc was 'well acted, but meh'.

I feel like there's a real dearth of enjoyable* English language genre fare at the moment.

*which doesn't necessarily mean funny or entertaining, rather where the next episode is eagerly anticipated. Then again I could just be jaded having watched too much TV over the last 15 years.

Yeah I’m kind of a genre guy when it comes to TV. Crime, horror or sci fi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm 

I see a new season of Top Boy is out on Netflix - cannot wait to see that

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:12 pm 

Chefs Table on Netflix is really done well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:24 pm 

Have you ever read a review of something and the review was so bad you had to check it out?

I've watched a few episodes of The I-Land on netflix. Goodness me, is it nonsense? Maybe it was because I was expecting it to be so bad but I found it, if not exactly enjoyable, watchable while doing something else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:03 am 

Inch high hogs eye wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Inch high hogs eye wrote:
I felt Peaky Blinders disappeared up its own arse years ago and is all style over substance. I don’t find the characters particularly well drawn and the narratives are all over the shop, especially S3. The ham acting doesn’t help and how many times do we need to watch Tommy walking toward the camera in slow-mo with a blast furnace in the background ffs. A little bit of humour here and there wouldn’t hurt either. Other than that :thumbup:

I just watched the first few series on Netflix. The first series was very good, but my days it takes a dive, certainly by the 3rd series where it's getting very silly. The problem is, it's writing starts with a really authentic feeling environment but then falls a little to in love with it's central character, who somehow treats everybody like shite but everybody admires, loves and trusts him and he always got a plan he doesn't tell anybody and always wins the long game with little direct consequences.

Gomorrah has gone the same way for me. Overtly moody machismo almost to the point of parody. I think if you cut out all the thousand yard stares the running time for each ep would be about 11 minutes...

Series 5 of Peaky Blinders takes an even bigger downturn tragically so far. I mean it's supposed to be some con-off between Oswald Mosley and Tommy, but for some reason they have forgotten to give Mosley any actual bad stuff to do to paint him as the villian of the series, besides some very brief and light references that his politics are apparently horrid (Bimboman probably believes this is because he's in the Labour party at this point) but nothing in the actual show if you didn't know who he was.

Here we have Tommy the murderer and frequently kills and betrays his business partners for profit, who was so blood lust full his own brother intervened that he wouldn't kill his own teacher and he had to mercy kill her husband before Tommy tortured him. Who just scared off a gay reporter (and had him killed?) by pointing out he would expose him, now declaring that this is the most evil man ever. But the man is actually doing nothing in the show except having some weird obsession with recruiting Tommy and having some weird dick waving contest about how they find out amazing details of their lives which would be utterly impossible to find-out and wants to start a new political party for reasons not clearly established in the show.

A shame because the directors work and the excellent period elements of the show are excellent. But I fear the writer has got a but to in love with his own characters and wants to forget they are rather evil and selfish at this point (something that's not really explored) and tries to compensate with some badly handled virtue signalling.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 am 

MrJonno wrote:
Have you ever read a review of something and the review was so bad you had to check it out?

I've watched a few episodes of The I-Land on netflix. Goodness me, is it nonsense? Maybe it was because I was expecting it to be so bad but I found it, if not exactly enjoyable, watchable while doing something else.

I've given the first episode a go, not sure I can continue with it. I'll wait for some others to confirm before I invest any more time.

It's not looking good though..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 am 

sonic_attack wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

I've given the first episode a go, not sure I can continue with it. I'll wait for some others to confirm before I invest any more time.

It's not looking good though..

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to recommend it but I think there have been some unfair comparisons with Lost. Lost seemed to think it was much more intelligent and sophisticated than it was and didn't realise it was just pretentious w@nk whereas this seems to know and revel in the fact that it is nonsense. That alone makes it far superior IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:32 am 

I-land is proper shyte. Horrendous dialogue, shit acting, poorly directed, just utter crap.

IMDB rating..... 4.2 is generous.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
I-land is proper shyte. Horrendous dialogue, shit acting, poorly directed, just utter crap.

IMDB rating..... 4.2 is generous.

That is indeed a surprisingly high score

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:23 pm 

I loved peaky blinders till the last EP of the first season.
That stupid contrived mexican stand off where everyone is holding machine guns and looking tough from 5 yards away took me right out of the show .

Never recovered really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm 

New BSG series coming on NBC

Quote:
A reboot of the acclaimed Battlestar Galactica space saga is among the announced offerings of NBC Universal’s upcoming streaming service, which has been named Peacock.

Sam Esmail, the creator of USA Network’s Mr. Robot and an executive producer on HBO’s Homecoming, is behind the reboot, it was announced on Tuesday morning. No other details were made available, though (UPDATE, IN BOLD!) Esmail later made clear this will not be a “remake” of the Ronald D. Moore series that launched in the year 2004:

Plus they're doing Brave New World. Though i do remember being underwhelmed by the book.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:31 pm 

Has anyone watched this new Netflix series Marianne? Supposed to be pretty scary. Its French though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 pm 

No it looked far too scary for me.

Anyone watched Another life, not great reviews. Will be avoiding i-land.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 pm 

Tried watching Gomorrah and Peaky Blinders. Thought both tried a bit too hard tbh. Just finished Carnival Row. Found myself enjoying it. Anyone got recommendations for some good fantasy/sci fi shows?

Also, WoT started filming yesterday. that should be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:44 pm 

Watched the first two seasons of Dark recently.

Fantastic show. I recommend watching it in the original German with subtitles though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:07 am 

Kid A wrote:
Someone please recommend me a TV Show I can watch with the wife. Sensible suggestions only. We enjoy drama and thrillers and have seen and enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale, Euphoria, Sharp Objects, Big Little Lies. Have already seen Fleabag, Motherland, Ozark, Killing Eve. No fantasy b0llocks like Game of Thrones.

Thanks

Counterpart
Quarry
Marcella
Le Mante
Borderliner
The Fall
Russian Doll
Bloodline
Nobel
Hinterland
Shetland
Vera

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Someone please recommend me a TV Show I can watch with the wife. Sensible suggestions only. We enjoy drama and thrillers and have seen and enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale, Euphoria, Sharp Objects, Big Little Lies. Have already seen Fleabag, Motherland, Ozark, Killing Eve. No fantasy b0llocks like Game of Thrones.

Thanks

Counterpart
Quarry
Marcella
Le Mante
Borderliner
The Fall
Russian Doll
Bloodline
Nobel
Hinterland
Shetland
Vera

:thumbup:

Seen some of those. Russian Doll was great. Didn't like Quarry.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:

Fantastic show. I recommend watching it in the original German with subtitles though.

Truly one of the greatest shows this century.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm 

Finally getting around to watching Chernobyl. Somewhat less on a fan of nuclear energy now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:44 pm 

i will no longer watch shows that are not in English, its really painful getting subtitles then incorporating them each episode than converting it to be able to watch it on a bigger screen.. fuck foreign tv shows..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 pm 

comets wrote:
i will no longer watch shows that are not in English, its really painful getting subtitles then incorporating them each episode than converting it to be able to watch it on a bigger screen.. fuck foreign tv shows..

Get Kodi for goodness sake. Does it all in 2.4 seconds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Quote:
A reboot of the acclaimed Battlestar Galactica space saga is among the announced offerings of NBC Universal’s upcoming streaming service, which has been named Peacock.

Sam Esmail, the creator of USA Network’s Mr. Robot and an executive producer on HBO’s Homecoming, is behind the reboot, it was announced on Tuesday morning. No other details were made available, though (UPDATE, IN BOLD!) Esmail later made clear this will not be a “remake” of the Ronald D. Moore series that launched in the year 2004:

Plus they're doing Brave New World. Though i do remember being underwhelmed by the book.

How is a new BSG going to work plot wise? Caprica explored the rise of the cylons prior to the events in BSG which in turn covered everything from the initial attack to the present day earth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:28 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Kid A wrote:

Thanks

Counterpart
Quarry
Marcella
Le Mante
Borderliner
The Fall
Russian Doll
Bloodline
Nobel
Hinterland
Shetland
Vera

Someone recommended Bosch to me recently.

It's about an LA detective. A good blend of policing and politics with strong story lines and decent acting.

There are five seasons. The first one wasn't bad but like a lot of shows it started to hit it's stride in season two (which is where I'm up to).

I think it was originally Amazon Prime - but that's not where I'm watching it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 am 

comets wrote:

Dark is a "foreign" show and it's great. You're missing out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:33 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Quote:

How is a new BSG going to work plot wise? Caprica explored the rise of the cylons prior to the events in BSG which in turn covered everything from the initial attack to the present day earth.

Guess they could do the story of their first colony on Earth. Wouldn't really have much to do with space though, so I hope not.

Honestly the 2004 show was awesome, I don't see the need to fiddle around with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:50 am 

Doc Rob wrote:

I wish I had. The voice acting in it is poor and detracts from an otherwise decent story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:19 am 

True Blue wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Quote:

Guess they could do the story of their first colony on Earth. Wouldn't really have much to do with space though, so I hope not.

Honestly the 2004 show was awesome, I don't see the need to fiddle around with it.

That's a glass half full way of looking at it. To me there are two scenarios:

1. We get a new show and it turns out to be great.
2. The new show is crap, but the old one still exists so who cares?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:48 am 

Maniototo Man wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I wish I had. The voice acting in it is poor and detracts from an otherwise decent story.

Can't stand watching dubbed shows, would rather just read the subtitles. Although they are usually transcribed into "American" and it's sometimes pretty obvious they are saying something completely different.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:51 am 

Bit late to the party but I knocked off Fleabag and The Boys when on holiday recently.

Ordered a nifty little USB C to HDMI cable from Amazon that allowed me to watch Netflix and Amazon in the hotel rooms at night.

I thought they were both brilliant. Fleabag was better but The Boys was great to.

See Fleabag cleaned up at the Emmys. Deservedly so imo. Phoebe whatshername is one talented lady.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:18 am 

Watched Unbelievable on Netflix
Killed a few nights very easily, well worth watching ing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:27 am 

Winnie wrote:
Watched Unbelievable on Netflix
Killed a few nights very easily, well worth watching ing

Unbelievable is survivable, I got through it. I probably felt like I had to after investing in 3 episodes or so.
Not entirely riveting but it's in the "watchable" stack of drivel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:20 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Joost wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Try the Night Manager.

I like Le Carre books and some of the adaptions for the screen, but as I said, I felt like I was watching at 80s tv show. I might have loved it in the 80s, well I definitely would have loved the boobies on display in the 80s.

I'm with uncle - thought it was really sh1te 80's B type stuff, about as lightweight as a show of that type could get. I did finish season 1 of succession last night ; great show, Ciaran Culkin and the satellite/rock ship launch is fcukin hilarious tv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:26 pm 

Speaking of Hugh Laurie, the recent Channel 4 adaptation of Catch 22 is worth a watch

I’ll trust others’ views of how good an interpretation of the book it is (haven’t read it since school, about 5 million years ago), but it has an excellent cast and veers from dark humour to satire to melancholy in the way you’d expect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:58 pm 

Finally started Mindhunter and the first episode was captivating.
Can't wait to see where it goes, the sex scene was a little tedious/pointless though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173  Next