Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 189  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:56 pm 

Third and last season of 'The Deuce' should air in the UK soon after the New Year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:20 pm 

It’s a good box set but it’s stupid to have a character who is an omnipotent god - essentially a walking deus ex machina - so they have to build in fallibilities to make it less of a foregone conclusion. Some of the leaps in this weeks episode were ridiculous. It’s still batshit crazy and very entertaining but watching your man use his god like powers on one hand and the other just stand there and take it, nah.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
It’s a good box set but it’s stupid to have a character who is an omnipotent god - essentially a walking deus ex machina - so they have to build in fallibilities to make it less of a foregone conclusion. Some of the leaps in this weeks episode were ridiculous. It’s still batshit crazy and very entertaining but watching your man use his god like powers on one hand and the other just stand there and take it, nah.

All to just achieve ultimate woke apotheosis.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:07 pm 

Spoiler: show
I was having a ponder over this last night and does anyone think the Seventh Cavalry could be some sort of clones? They fact they seem to be the most incompetent terrorists of all time? I think the show has done a bad job of making them a scary group as they’ve done nothing of note beyond being the modern boogeyman of ‘white supremacists’.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:30 pm 

maxime wrote:
I greatly recommand "le bureau des legendes", if you can find it somewhere.

One of the best TV series ever.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4063800/?r ... f_=nv_sr_1
Tricky to find in the US (for legal streaming, without subscribing to yet another service) but I found the first 2 (of 5, I think) seasons on Amazon Prime UK. 'Best ever' is kind of a stretch, but it's really pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:45 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

If you're talking about Watchmen my reading of it wasn't that he 'just stood there and took it', it was that he actually did it. I watched it again to check and all we see is a blue blob and then it disappears

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 pm 

Sorry if already covered - but wow......what a missed opportunity by the BBC with the War of the Worlds.

Started out slowly - picked up pace and become interesting for about 40 minutes over 2 episodes - and then turned into a slow, nothing happening, period drama with characters that you actually had very little compassion for.

Such a disappointment. Where was the tension - where was Thunder Child - where were the marauding tripods destroying the world. Where was the slow realisation that bacteria would be their downfall.

And then it just stopped with a hint that everything was going to be A-OK.

Could have been great.....turned out to be the worst of all things a show about attacking aliens could be - boring.

Made Tom Cruise's effort seem passable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

If you're talking about Watchmen my reading of it wasn't that he 'just stood there and took it', it was that he actually did it. I watched it again to check and all we see is a blue blob and then it disappears

Basically Lindleof isn't nearly the quality of writer that Moore was and isn't capable of doing anything interesting with the character.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:42 pm 

While Moore is clearly a better writer, I thought this episode explored Manhattan's experience of time and predetermined nature of it more interestingly than the comics did. While Veidt's tachyon in the comics macguffin did the job of clouding his sight around the squid plan, there were plenty of other times in his life when his view of time would have changed things - it really only lightly touches on how it would have affected his relationships with Laurie & Janey for instance. The show explored that aspect much more interestingly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:06 pm 

boere wors wrote:
eugenius wrote:
WATCHMEN

I honestly think the last episode the most enjoyable thing I’ve ever seen on television!

:lol:

You're kidding, right?!

Nope .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 am 

The Expanse s4 should drop by this time tomorrow. Really looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:28 am 

True Blue wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
I've watched the first 5 episodes of the Mandalorian. Meh.

I am normally very good at letting inconsistencies of plot devices slide by. But some of the nonsense on this was exactly that. The most annoying one being how, despite supposedly having advanced combat skills he is not very good in combat and his lack of morals is notable by its absence.

I feel the same
I like him and the show but yeah he's quite useless except for his armour and fancy guns

Yes he even was getting arse whooped by that female bounty despite his armour which magically seems to offer little protection against physical contact. He may actually be the worst mandarlorian fighter I've seen. Perhaps that's the point though, he lets his emotions get in the way of being a good bounty hunter.

What have you seen Boba Fett do other than get his blaster sliced in half and get his jet pack jacked?

I love Boba Fett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:32 am 

freewheelan wrote:

I found myself up an hour earlier than I needed to be this morning and checked to see if I could get an episode in before work. :lol:
My gf lives abroad but is over for the weekend. I've told her that she'll be watching the Expanse this weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:55 am 

Nolanator wrote:
freewheelan wrote:

I found myself up an hour earlier than I needed to be this morning and checked to see if I could get an episode in before work. :lol:
My gf lives abroad but is over for the weekend. I've told her that she'll be watching the Expanse this weekend!

I am sure you explained that is a netflix show, so that she isnt misled in any way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 am 

Lost in Space season 2 is out in a couple of weeks. Season 1 was decent.

I gave up on The Expanse in season 2, I probably should try again. I usually like these types of shows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 am 

True Blue wrote:

I gave up on The Expanse in season 2, I probably should try again. I usually like these types of shows.

Same here, just couldn't get into S2. Everybody is raving about it so will try again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:34 pm 

Couple of episodes in to the Expanse. They're already sowing the seeds for what's to come in the next season with the stuff back in home system.
They also seem to be including some of God's of Risk, a novella' of Bobbie's side story back on Mars.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:21 pm 

After a couple of limp episodes The Mandalorian ep 6 is a good watch. Nice cameos from Bill Burr, Clancy Brown and Osha from GoT.

Interesting that director of this episode, Rick Famuyiwa, also did ep 2 which is one of the better episodes so far too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:56 pm 

Finally struggling my way through Westworld's season 2
Critical Drinker was right, good god!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:22 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Couple of episodes in to the Expanse. They're already sowing the seeds for what's to come in the next season with the stuff back in home system.
They also seem to be including some of God's of Risk, a novella' of Bobbie's side story back on Mars.

So I've finished season 4. I thought it was not bad but the weakest of the four seasons so far.

I little too much on the human drama to draw in a wider audience, and the sci-fi ideas don't ramp up like they did in the previous seasons.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:36 pm 

Sonny Blount wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

So I've finished season 4. I thought it was not bad but the weakest of the four seasons so far.

I little too much on the human drama to draw in a wider audience, and the sci-fi ideas don't ramp up like they did in the previous seasons.

Only 6 episodes in myself, so haven't seen the climax/resolution.

The book is almost entirely based on Ilus/New Terra, Bobbie's not in it at all. I think they had to do a lot of building new foundations after season 3. The build up to and opening of the ring gate is a natural break. New story arcs etc have to be developed

The Mars storyline is adapted from Gods of Risk, like I said, and the arc with Michio Pa and Ashford is setting the background for the next major chapter in season 5. Fairly sure that all the political wrangling in the UN is a show fabrication too.

The majority of the action bring set down a well, rather than in ships and stations also changes the feel.

I am enjoying it, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:41 pm 

To confirm my ealrier post

Quote:
The third and final season of The Deuce will receive its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic on Thursday January 2nd at 10pm, it has been announced.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:27 pm 

Anyone watch Traces on Sky Alibi - was pretty hooked, good cast etc...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:36 pm 

Openside wrote:
Anyone watch Traces on Sky Alibi - was pretty hooked, good cast etc...

Thought it was pish. Mrs still watching as it's set in Dundee (although they only seem to show cut away of it, everything was filmed elsewhere). If I didn't know better I'd say it was written by someone not from Scotland trying too hard to get as many colloquialisms in as possible. Never heard a dundonian accent either :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:43 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
After a couple of limp episodes The Mandalorian ep 6 is a good watch. Nice cameos from Bill Burr, Clancy Brown and Osha from GoT.

Interesting that director of this episode, Rick Famuyiwa, also did ep 2 which is one of the better episodes so far too.

Director for hire approach on a limited series baffles me. I get that you might need it on a 20+ episode per season deal, but stuff in the 6 - 12 episode can surely be left in the hands of one person? It'll only benefit from not having several different visions imposed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:18 pm 

Premier Red wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Just finished wtaching 'The Boys'. F#ck me it was brilliant.

Homelander is genuinely the most brilliant villainous character I can recall in ages. Utterly irredeemable, though you have some sympathy for how be got to become an unloving, narcissistic sociopath. I was surprised how a character like the Deep evolves as well. He basically witnesses murder everywhere he goes and the more he tries to help the worse he makes it. The bit with the lobster :lol: I love Urban as Billy Butcher, he's a hard nosed c#nt but the way they peel back his motivations and even the inner parts of his character as the series progresses is great.

Can't recommend high enough.

Anthony Starr as Homelander is just brilliant casting....its an even more narcissistic version of his character in Banshee, well worth watching if you havent seen it......ridiculous plot, lots of sex/extreme violence but impossible not to keep watching till the end :thumbup:

Any legal way to watch it without having Amazon prime?
They don't seem to be releasing it on DVD.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:34 pm 

The Boys is excellent. Far better than the source material comic - which was quite good but had a lot of the usual Garth Ennis sex jokes. The departure from the source in the final scene of the series blew me away. Can't wait for s2

Along with watchmen, a top 5 series of the year for me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:06 pm 

I think for The Boys that Deep will probably have a redemption arc. We're already starting to see that side of him. Hopefully it pays off better than Jaime Lannisters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 pm 

There’s only so much you can redeem a sex pest like that though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:24 pm 

Year's best five.

1. Fleabag
2. Chernobyl
3. Watchmen
4. Barry
5. Mindhunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:19 pm 

I have recently got into Rick and Morty...and my official opinion is that it's borderline genius. An outstanding show. It takes a while to get into, but once your in the correct head space, it takes a better run at sci-fi tropes than anything else on TV.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:45 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Director for hire approach on a limited series baffles me. I get that you might need it on a 20+ episode per season deal, but stuff in the 6 - 12 episode can surely be left in the hands of one person? It'll only benefit from not having several different visions imposed.

most ppl didn't notice but the 3 new republic pilots who show up in the end to destroy the stations were all directors on the Mandalorian lol including Rick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:47 pm 

I like the art work at the end of every Mandolorian episode

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:19 am 

New Star Trek series Discovery (well, new to the UK) looks utter shite after just one episode.

WTF have they done to the Klingons faces?

After watching that crap, I settled down to watching the Star Wars film Rogue One which is even more shite.

I havent dared to look at what rubbish the Xmas TV schedules will bring us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:34 am 

Glaston wrote:
New Star Trek series Discovery (well, new to the UK) looks utter shite after just one episode.

After watching that crap, I settled down to watching the Star Wars film Rogue One which is even more shite.

Rogue One is by far and away the best of the new Star Wars films.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Glaston wrote:

Rogue One is by far and away the best of the new Star Wars films.

It certainly is. And yet Glaston isn't entirely wrong about it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:28 am 

PICARD is coming early January, trailer looks good..never been a starWars/trek fan, never will be, don't watch any of the Star wars cartoons, never enjoyed the older star trek tv shows...now that i think about it, mandalorian is the closest to a starwreckedtrek show i have seen for atleast half a season...and its still not good, (Mando sucks, only watching for baby yoda)..i will watch the next season of star trek discovery cause towards the end of s2, it actually got interesting..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:54 am 

Bindi wrote:
Year's best five.

1. Fleabag
2. Chernobyl
3. Watchmen
4. Barry
5. Mindhunter

Fleabag was overrated, so was Barry

The highlights of 2019 were Succession, Chernobyl and Watchmen.
Special mention also for Russian Doll and Euphoria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 am 

True Blue wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
I've watched the first 5 episodes of the Mandalorian. Meh.

I am normally very good at letting inconsistencies of plot devices slide by. But some of the nonsense on this was exactly that. The most annoying one being how, despite supposedly having advanced combat skills he is not very good in combat and his lack of morals is notable by its absence.

I feel the same
I like him and the show but yeah he's quite useless except for his armour and fancy guns

Yes he even was getting arse whooped by that female bounty despite his armour which magically seems to offer little protection against physical contact. He may actually be the worst mandarlorian fighter I've seen. Perhaps that's the point though, he lets his emotions get in the way of being a good bounty hunter.

I want to find your secret stash of unaired movies and tv shows about mandalorians now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:00 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7539 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 189  Next