Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:49 pm 

I have just started the man in the high castle. Is it worth it? Not really thrilled so far, looks a bit cheap and some of the acting is dodgy. Sewell is great though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:53 pm 

Watched the first 2 (mainly because there was nothing else to watch), started season 3 and drifted away very quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm 

started new season of Occupied on Netflix last night ; Norwegian show, enjoying it ; anyone any thoughts on the apple streaming service ? other than the Morning Show it didn't look like there was much on it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:08 am 

Binging Succession. What a show. Was wondering what happened to Sarah Snook. Great Aussie actress who looked like she was going places, then didn’t hear from her for a few years. Turns out she was playing Shiv.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:55 am 

BlackMac wrote:
Half way through the final season of Rake. Don't think I have ever seen a series fall of a cliff like it. Whilst he was always a bit of a clown I struggle to see why they decided to make Cleaver into an utter imbecile.

I think I bailed out there.

A real shame.considering the previous series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm 

Bindi wrote:
Binging Succession. What a show. Was wondering what happened to Sarah Snook. Great Aussie actress who looked like she was going places, then didn’t hear from her for a few years. Turns out she was playing Shiv.

and a kim Kardashian bottom to boot !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm 

Thanks to whoever was mentioned Justified a few pages back. Loving it. All excellent but series 3 is really ramping it up. Highly recommemded if you havent watched it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:15 pm 

Poshprop wrote:
Thanks to whoever was mentioned Justified a few pages back. Loving it. All excellent but series 3 is really ramping it up. Highly recommemded if you havent watched it

:thumbup:
I'm happy that I found it and got back into it after watching the first season. It's good right the way through.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
I'd be genuinly interested to see what makes it only just above average for Kid A.

I've said it before - it's technically great but they succumbed to America's stupidness and cast a bunch of British people meandering in and out of their own regional accents and into Russian ones. I couldn't get past that. They should have cast Ukranians and Russians and subtitled it. But then stupid people wouldn't have watched it.

Just saw that Chernobyl won best Limited TV series, and it reminded me that I had posed the question, which you have dutifully answered.

And I find your answer extremely po-faced.

My wife is from Pakistan. We watch Bollywood movies from time to time. When these films are set in exotic locations like Brazil or China, do you think they have native speakers and subtitles? Of course they don't. Miraculously, wherever they turn up, there's always someone speaking Hindi to help the story along.

As such, I have a distinct issue with anyone who tries to drill down on the old 'white-washing'/'western-washing' line. Everyone does it, from every corner of the globe when producing media for their own market...and for good reason. If you want to tell a story, then you want to make it as accessible to those that will watch/listen to it, and if you don't believe that, then read on...

To go to your last point, subtitles are shite. If you've ever sat in a theatre watching a film with subtitles alongside native speakers of the film in question, you'll know that you are missing a tonne of jokes as well as a whole load of subtle uses of language (word-play etc.) which have profound effects on the way you interpret the story, and that wouldn't be so infuriating if it wasn't for the fact that while reading the text, you are missing the furtive looks of an actor, or the sly body shift that tells their own story etc. You endure subtitles because you have to if you want to watch something that has been produced in another language, but you'd have to be an idiot to suggest that they would somehow make a piece of TV/film better.

So, in summary, you are wrong.

What an arrogant post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:47 pm 

Anyone watch Frontier on Netflix? Worth a look?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:00 pm 

Lindelof walking away from Watchmen. Second season unlikely.

Right call, I think. And refreshing to see a show telling its story and bowing out despite success.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 pm 

maverickmak wrote:
Lindelof walking away from Watchmen. Second season unlikely.

Right call, I think. And refreshing to see an American show telling its story and bowing out despite success.

Corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm 

Pennyworth is worth a go. Renewed for 2nd season

Mindhunter is on long term hiatus as Fincher has other things he'd rather be doing. Actors released from contracts. So I'd say that's over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:31 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Mindhunter is on long term hiatus as Fincher has other things he'd rather be doing. Actors released from contracts. So I'd say that's over.

Pretty shit news, it was a great show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:17 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

S2 I thought was a disappointing follow-on from S1, but still a great show. I've become a big fanboy of Holt McCallany - hope MH is a real springboard for his career

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 pm 

Balls Out! wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

S2 I thought was a disappointing follow-on from S1, but still a great show. I've become a big fanboy of Holt McCallany - hope MH is a real springboard for his career

Yup, the two male leads were excellent in their roles.
I'm sure it will be a springboard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:42 pm 

sonic_attack wrote:
Two episodes into The Outsider HBO series.
Stonkingly good crime thriller/drama. Dark and creepy.

I'm going to watch the shit out of that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:01 pm 

Cartman wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but ...

Spoiler: show
The source material pivots from intriguing true crime vibes to typical King supernatural guff pretty quickly culminating in showdowns with an evil spirit/IT-type monster

The acting talent is impressive, will still give it a look

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:23 am 

naki wrote:
Cartman wrote:
sonic_attack wrote:

Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but ...

Spoiler: show
The source material pivots from intriguing true crime vibes to typical King supernatural guff pretty quickly culminating in showdowns with an evil spirit/IT-type monster

The acting talent is impressive, will still give it a look

Yeah the previews at the end for the next episodes kinda give that away.
Not too thrilled about that aspect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

I stumbled across a series on Netflix called Love, Death, and Robots. A series of animated sci-fi shorts from last year. Each episode is done by a different studio, so they're all very different in style.
The episodes can be a bit hit and miss, but I found some of them to be really good. Proper old school sci-fi like you'd get in a magazine in the 70s or something. Most of them are about 15 minutes long, so you hardly invest much time watching the poorer ones, and they're still reasonably entertaining.

"Beyond the Aquila Rift" was brilliant. On looking it up, it's the title of a short story which is part of a collection of stories under the same name. Might have to get my hands on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:38 pm 

Cobra. 3 episodes in, it’s excellent! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm 

Marginally off topic, but I missed this first time around. It’s Ben Cohen on Pointless Celebrities. Farking ‘ell :lol:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... a-Rihanoff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm 

Anyone else watching The New Pope? Enjoying it as much as its predecessor, particularly John Malkovich chewing the (beautifully appointed) scenery every chance he gets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:54 pm 

Sex Education season 2 - lacklustre.

The first season was quite fun and this one was a lot more serious, switched a lot of the focus to new or previously peripheral characters while taking on a more overtly public service announcement approach to the issues and concerns of teens so that they could clumsily make the point to the audience that asexuality or pansexuality are things. Well intentioned, but the execution was lacking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:27 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

Yeah really enjoying it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm 

Brazil wrote:
Anyone else watching The New Pope? Enjoying it as much as its predecessor, particularly John Malkovich chewing the (beautifully appointed) scenery every chance he gets.

watched first episode.....loved the scene from the balcony.....what the fudge is he saying ! looked forward to getting stuck into it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:18 am 

Curb is back and it farking rules. One of the best episodes in years, with Larry casually snapping selfie sticks, weaponising MAGA hats, re-tapping his ex wife, Jeff being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein, getting accidentally #MeToo'd. It's the best comedy of all time.

Got me thinking of shows that have gone 10 seasons and still retained the juice? South Park arguably got better 10 seasons in but, like Curb, each season has a few less inspired eps. The Simpsons only lasted for around 8 seasons of gold and has been horrific for most of the last 20+. King of the Hill went for 13 seasons and was steadily decent.

Tellingly these are all animated shows, I can't think of any 'live action' sitcoms that fit the bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 am 

Sandstorm wrote:

Enjoyed the first episode, although I’m really struggling watching Begbie as PM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:37 am 

Avenue 5 any good?
Its by the Veep guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 am 

naki wrote:
Curb is back and it farking rules. One of the best episodes in years, with Larry casually snapping selfie sticks, weaponising MAGA hats, re-tapping his ex wife, Jeff being mistaken for Harvey Weinstein, getting accidentally #MeToo'd. It's the best comedy of all time.

Got me thinking of shows that have gone 10 seasons and still retained the juice? South Park arguably got better 10 seasons in but, like Curb, each season has a few less inspired eps. The Simpsons only lasted for around 8 seasons of gold and has been horrific for most of the last 20+. King of the Hill went for 13 seasons and was steadily decent.

Tellingly these are all animated shows, I can't think of any 'live action' sitcoms that fit the bill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 am 

Is there a better show on tv than Succession? Watched the Season 2 finale yesterday........... BANG!

It’s up there with Mad Men imo. The script and the standard of acting is exceptional.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am 

naki wrote:

woohooo !!! had thought it was done ; just checked and its going to be on sky comedy starting jan 29th !!!!! cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 pm 

Watched the first episode of Always Sunny season 14. A return to form, I almost imploded cringing at the plot as it progressed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:14 pm 

JPNZ wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Macsimus wrote:
Just watched the first episode of Mr Robot. Looks like this one could be a winner :nod:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/

Started watching Mr Robot series 1 yesterday evening. Watched 3 episodes. Loving it. 2015 where did you do. Watching it on Amazon Video. Is it also on Netflix or Sky on Demand?

Your in for a treat, 2nd season is a slow burn, season 3 and 4 are exceptional.

Its not on Netflix, I'm not sure about Sky over there

I got to say I didn't find season 2 a slow burn. Well into season 3 now. It's been a great watch so far. Malek plays Elloitt superbly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm 

Has anyone seen 'science/technology/space' documentary 'The Farthest'? It's suppsoed to be excellent.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6223974/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Has anyone seen 'science/technology/space' documentary 'The Farthest'? It's suppsoed to be excellent.

Never heard of it, but I’m going to watch the sh*t out of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 pm 

towny wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Never heard of it, but I’m going to watch the sh*t out of that.

It appears not to be on Netflix UK & Ireland but might be on Netflix Australia. I found it on Amazon Prime Video though.
Might be on YouTube.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:06 pm 

Always Sunny in Philadelphia S14 out on Netflix. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:37 pm 

I started watching Dr Who since the 60s. I was not impressed with the current incarnation, but I have now finally ended over 5 decades of watching.

There have been some great Doctors in the recent past, but the current Doctor is just rubbish. Far too shouty and apparently the sonic screwdriver can solve any problem. But it is the moralising I can't stand. The last but one episode being a prime example ending as it did with a climate change lecture.

So farewell old friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:39 pm 

towny wrote:
Is there a better show on tv than Succession? Watched the Season 2 finale yesterday........... BANG!

It’s up there with Mad Men imo. The script and the standard of acting is exceptional.

Yeah it’s absolute genius

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next