It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Toony, stay or go
Taxi for Townsend 71%  71%  [ 17 ]
Give him more time 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Attn Scots, a quick poll
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:55 pm 

Toony's tactical tombola failed to hit the mark in a big game again today, adding to the damage caused by poor selections and tactics against Ireland.

Eyebrows were raised when Stern Vern's contract was not renewed in favour of a relatively green head coach. Whilst Townsend is clearly a good coach who did great things with Glasgow, he appears out of his depth in an international role and despite as good a crop of players as we've had in decades we look like we're going backwards.

So the question is, should he stay or should he go?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:56 pm 

Excuse the question but surely it depends on who might replace him.

I heard Cockerill mentioned - food for thought.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:03 pm 

Cockerill would be very regressive.

I'm worried theyll approach Lancaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm 

From a personal perspective I see who replaces him as a separate question.

I just don't see Townsend as the right man to take us forward. I questioned his appointment at the time but we seem to lurch from one shambles to another. There might be some stellar play from talented players in between times but we're soft, don't turn up for the big matches and our defence is shit. And it's getting worse. Our failings are obvious, and have been so for some time, to all but our coaching team.

There are a number of very decent coaches out there that could do a good job for us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:09 pm 

Any semblance of consistency has gone. A well coached side doesn't blow hot for 20 then struggle for 60. Let's not forget the twickenham result from Vern, but he did have us ticking over otherwise much more nicely. He is gone now though and he ain't coming back.

In a back drop of back to back poor 6n's, a terrible away record including defeats to USA and Fiji, and now failure to get out of the group, I think there should be reason enough for him to hand it on to someone else.

Who else I don't know. Perhaps Jamie Joseph would fit nicely. Rennie would do well but I think he'll be off at the end of the season. Think Cockerill needs to prove himself at Edinburgh first.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 pm 

Worth noting that the SRU had targeted a quarter final as a minimum return. So by their own measure it's been a failed tournament.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:27 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

Now that's interesting.

Rennie would be a good hire as well. Maybe better.

Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but letting Cotter go really was an idiotic move.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:31 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Now that's interesting.

Not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but letting Cotter go really was an idiotic move.

Many of us thought that at the time. We were happy with the progress being made under Cotter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Now that's interesting.

Many of us thought that at the time. We were happy with the progress being made under Cotter.

As you should have been, there was some very good rugby being played.

It shouldn't have mattered, but I feel if Scotland hadn't been robbed by Joubert and had bowed out of the RWC as semifinalists, there's no way he wouldn't have been the man in the coahes' box yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Now that's interesting.

As you should have been, there was some very good rugby being played.

It shouldn't have mattered, but I feel if Scotland hadn't been robbed by Joubert and had bowed out of the RWC as semifinalists, there's no way he wouldn't have been the man in the coahes' box yesterday.

We’d have played Argentina in the semi, against whom we have a very good recent record. We’d have had a decent chance of making the final.

Anyway: we won’t move forward under Townsend. As I’ve posted elsewhere, our main issues (inconsistency, mental fragility and poor defence) are getting worse, not better, and as an international coach he is learning on the job. Yes, we all thought we should have kept Cotter, but that ship has sailed and we need someone else to be in charge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:07 pm 

You had Rennie in your books and you didn't make him head coach. Scotland clearly had the best players last night, you can tell they could've easily run over Japan but there were no cohesion to string a few plays together.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:04 am 

iarmhiman wrote:

Lancaster bar all the nice videos about redemption is a bit shit. You can take that to the bank Scots

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 am 

Sorry not a Scot but I think it was a mistake getting rid of Cotter too. Thought there was really good progress being made under him, still think so but I think Cotter had a bigger picture than Townsend.

Can't help but think that that entire mess of a run up was a huge distraction though, and coaching and management should never have been drawn into it.