Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm 

Going there for a week next month with my good lady . Flying in to Zadar , hiring a car and returning through Dubrovnik. Hoping to see a bit of both cities and exploring the coastline in between. No accommodation booked yet so open to suggestions on itinerary as well as the usual stuff like restaurants, sightseeing etc
Advice from anyone who’s been there would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Croatia
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:18 pm 

Nice sailing around there. We used to have "unofficial" races as the charter company specifically banned them.

No damage ensued.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:21 pm 

Lots of good info here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88990&hilit=Dubrovnik

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm 

Zadar to Durovnik is a fair trek.

Going coastal you'll also cross into Bosnia for a bit but my advice would be to take in some of the islands, like Bol and Hvar, only issue is you would have fairly rigid times as there are more foot only ferries.

I'd also go to Plitvice, it's well worth a drive up, overnight stay and route of the park.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:30 pm 

We preferred Split to Zadar - some nice walks around the coast there. If you're going to Plitvice, be there at opening vecause crowds are mental. With a car, staying a night or two at the town (Skradin?) at Krka national park would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm 

Go to Sarajevo its brilliant. You can do a tour with a guide for dirt cheap at the information place in town. Its great if a little harrowing with some of the war stuff.

I'd something like Plitvice Lakes down to split up to Sarajevo down through mostar to Dubrovnik.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm 

I found the islands shit boring tbh

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm 

Demilich wrote:
We preferred Split to Zadar - some nice walks around the coast there. If you're going to Plitvice, be there at opening vecause crowds are mental. With a car, staying a night or two at the town (Skradin?) at Krka national park would be nice.

At Krka you also get to swim which is great.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 pm 

Plitvice is amazing. I stayed more or less on site overnight so I could get in there early. Very nearly missed the last bus back to Zagreb as it was such an entrancing spot even with a lot of people around.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm 

Korcula is what you imagine Dubrovnik is like.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:

The islands are world renowned for being a great holiday destination, I loved them, not sure how you found them boring.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

The islands are world renowned for being a great holiday destination, I loved them, not sure how you found them boring.

I was on a boat so didn't get to travel round them much tbf, just the ports. Would no doubt be better with a bit of time to explore. However a week wouldn't allow that.

Much preferred my time on the mainland.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm 

Stayed in an AirBnB with another couple in Dubrovnik, which worked quite well in terms of cost, space, etc. Was about a 40 minute walk from the Old Town, so not really central, and it's very hilly, but an Uber is pittance.
Do the walk around the walls of the Old Town, it's amazing. Any descriptions don't do it justice. We also did a boat day trip that visited a couple of nearby islands. It was a glorious day, which really helped, and they gave us loads of free (cheapo) wine, which also helped.

There's also a cable car up the hill overlooking the city, which we didn't get around to doing, but wish we had.

It's a stunning coastline, even the drive from the airport to the city has some fairly dramatic cliff views.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Stayed in an AirBnB with another couple in Dubrovnik, which worked quite well in terms of cost, space, etc. Was about a 40 minute walk from the Old Town, so not really central, and it's very hilly, but an Uber is pittance.
Do the walk around the walls of the Old Town, it's amazing. Any descriptions don't do it justice. We also did a boat day trip that visited a couple of nearby islands. It was a glorious day, which really helped, and they gave us loads of free (cheapo) wine, which also helped.

There's also a cable car up the hill overlooking the city, which we didn't get around to doing, but wish we had.

It's a stunning coastline, even the drive from the airport to the city has some fairly dramatic cliff views.

The walls are great as is the cable car. The Game of Thrones shit gets a bit tedious though.

There's a pub on the rocks outside the walls on the seaward side. You'll spot it from the wall. Good to grab a drink at and watch all the boats and yachts cruising by if you can manage to find the unmarked door out. Fun just getting lost in the old city really.

Edit here it is:

Spoiler: show

Last edited by RuggaBugga on Thu May 16, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm 

Go and visit Mostar in Bosnia. Stunning and has the Stari Most which was blown up in the war but rebuilt

Spoiler: show

The city has feelings of Belfast about it in so far as it's a divided city by religion. Catholics live on one side of the river while muslims live other side.

Stop for some Baklava and Turkish coffee and eat some Cavlapi and flat bread for lunch.

I recommend visiting Mostar for the cultural experience but you will want to spend as much time on the coast as possible. I recommend staying on the coast as far as Ploce and then driving inland to Mostar which is about a 1 1/2 drive from Ploce.

A day is all you will need there

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

The walls are great as is the cable car. The Game of Thrones shit gets a bit tedious though.

There's a pub on the rocks outside the walls on the seaward side. You'll spot it from the wall. Good to grab a drink at and watch all the boats and yachts cruising by if you can manage to find the unmarked door out. Fun just getting lost in the old city really.

Yeah, we looked into a GoT walking tour, but it was a massive rip-off. That pub/cafe on the seaward side of the walls looked lovely, but we didn't stop, wouldn't have had enough time to go the whole way around if we had.

Had fun spotting the newer terracotta roofs against the older ones. They were the buildings that had suffered direct shell/mortar fire during the siege in 91(?).
Also a basketball court hidden away inside the walls and a kids playground in another part. Just terraced into the hill.

The old city is amazing on the ground. Can be absolutely thronged with tourists, but the streets and winding staircase pathways up to the base of the wall are like nothing I've ever seen. Can't imagine what it's like living there.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:29 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

I was on a boat so didn't get to travel round them much tbf, just the ports. Would no doubt be better with a bit of time to explore. However a week wouldn't allow that.

Much preferred my time on the mainland.

Become a skipper and sail there. Much more fun.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:35 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Plitvice is amazing.

Lovely views

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

Split is a lovely town. I thoroughly recommend going there if you can - I had a female Uber driver there, when she showed up I was like FAKE TAXI :o

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:41 am 

Didn’t like the damnatio memoriae to anything Italian/Venetian on the coastal cities and islands (especially Zadar/Zara, where ancients monuments had been obviously destroyed/modified and everything culturally closed to Italy was ripped off. Including different people - not only form Zadar - from those places like Marco Polo and Mario Andretti and the stylist Missoni being advovated by local guides as Croatians)
But apart of that (which would hurt only me obviously, being Italian), all places and cities were aces

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm 

Sorry meant to get back to this earlier, been snowed under with work and stuff . Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. The Balkans look like an amazing part of the world I’m really looking forward to this trip , just wish we could go for longer. We decided on a pretty busy itinerary hoping to fit in as much as possible . This is our schedule, think it’s just about doable

Day 1 : Arrive in Zadar about 11 am, pick up car , drive down coastline to Split and stay there overnight
Day 2 : Take ferry out to Brac , drive around the island and stay in the town of Bol
Day 3: Take ferry back to Split , drive down coast to Markansa and stay there overnight
Day 4: Get up early , drive to Mostar , see the bridge and have a look around . Drive to Sarajevo in the afternoon and check into hotel
Day 5: Do a walking tour of Sarajevo , sightseeing etc
Day 6 : Early start and drive to Dubrovnik. Check in to apartment and do some sightseeing
Day 7 : Full day in Dubrovnik
Day 8: Fly home at lunchtime

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm 

Should spend some more time in Bol and go to the golden horn.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
Sorry meant to get back to this earlier, been snowed under with work and stuff . Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. The Balkans look like an amazing part of the world I’m really looking forward to this trip , just wish we could go for longer. We decided on a pretty busy itinerary hoping to fit in as much as possible . This is our schedule, think it’s just about doable

Day 1 : Arrive in Zadar about 11 am, pick up car , drive down coastline to Split and stay there overnight
Day 2 : Take ferry out to Brac , drive around the island and stay in the town of Bol
Day 3: Take ferry back to Split , drive down coast to Markansa and stay there overnight
Day 4: Get up early , drive to Mostar , see the bridge and have a look around . Drive to Sarajevo in the afternoon and check into hotel
Day 6 : Early start and drive to Dubrovnik. Check in to apartment and do some sightseeing

Really enjoyed Sarajevo, glad I made the effort to get up there. We did a a driving tour (I think it was up to four people but ended up just being me and the mrs). Was really good as took you all over the city. The old cable car, Franz Ferdinand assassination spot and a lot of the war sites including the Serb positions in the hills above sniper alley, the holiday inn, the airport etc.. even got to go down into the tunnel they dug to get to the airport. Was excellent.

Get one of their suage roll pastry things as well. Delicious.

We drove from Split and was a beautiful drive. The road down to Mostar is pretty boring.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 pm 

In Dubrovnik, get the cable car up the hill to the restaurant. Possibly the most wonderful view for a meal you will ever get. Find the bar built into the rocks outside the walls and watch the sun go down. Possibly the most wonderful view for a beer you will ever get.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:16 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
In Dubrovnik, get the cable car up the hill to the restaurant. Possibly the most wonderful view for a meal you will ever get. Find the bar built into the rocks outside the walls and watch the sun go down. Possibly the most wonderful view for a beer you will ever get.

+1 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:01 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Should spend some more time in Bol and go to the golden horn.

Yeah we’d thought about an extra night on Brac but would have had to skip Markansa then , which also looks amazing. Golden Horn looks class !

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:06 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

Really enjoyed Sarajevo, glad I made the effort to get up there. We did a a driving tour (I think it was up to four people but ended up just being me and the mrs). Was really good as took you all over the city. The old cable car, Franz Ferdinand assassination spot and a lot of the war sites including the Serb positions in the hills above sniper alley, the holiday inn, the airport etc.. even got to go down into the tunnel they dug to get to the airport. Was excellent.

Get one of their suage roll pastry things as well. Delicious.

We drove from Split and was a beautiful drive. The road down to Mostar is pretty boring.

Even though this trip started out as purely a Croatia holiday , the Sarajevo leg is the part I’m most looking forward to now . Our time the is limited so a couple of tours like yours may be the best way to see as much as possible

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 pm 

BlackMac wrote:

Thanks , I’ll definitely check them places out

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm 

I really like Split. Still a proper place despite the remarkable history and tourist attractions. Dubrovnik is fabulous but you need to enjoy it early or late away from the day tripping hours. As for the islands, my experience is very limited apart from Hvar which is lovely.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 pm 

Don't underestimate the time to Sarajevo Conpic.

The drive to Mostar is long enough. Sarajevo is another 3 hours.

By the time you stop in Mostar, look around and get lunch then drive to Sarajevo, you will be wrecked.

Still Sarajevo is an amazing city so if you're okay with all that driving then go for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 pm 

Amazing holiday, loved every minute of it . Thanks everyone for the advice . Didn’t get to do everything you suggested but we got around and saw a lot of the Balkans in a memorable 7 days

Spent the first night in Split after arriving in Zadar at lunchtime and driving down the stunning coastline . Split has a beautiful , well kept old town and nice area around the harbour. We didn’t get to see a whole due to time constraints but it seems like a pretty cool city . The following morning we got up early and took the car ferry to Brac island which was one of the highlights of the trip . We stayed near Golden Horn beach which was truly breathtaking, thanks Earl for the recommendation. Probably regretted having to leave after 1 night and if we go back we’ll probably spend 3 or 4 nights there. It’s absolute paradise with crystal clear sea waters , stunning backdrop and not a lucky lucky man to be seen .
Back to the mainland the following afternoon and down the coastline to the beautiful town of Makarska , aka the Croatian riviera. Globus probably knows this place well because it’s full of fancy yachts and nice restaurants. We had one of many top class seafood meals here that was relatively cheap. Outside of Dubrovnik we got pretty good bang for our buck on accommodation, food and drinks.

Day 4 we moved on to Bosnia via another drive down the Croatian coastline as far as Polce. Our first stop was Mostar , a city torn apart during the war and still divided along ethnic lines . There’s reminders of their recent history everywhere with the rebuilt Stari Most bridge , bulletholes in the walls of buildings, graffiti and poverty conspicuous as the country struggles to establish itself after the fall of Yugoslavia. The Bosnian people are brilliant though , friendly funny and keen to move forward. The food and landscape is completely different to Croatia but equally enjoyable. The 3 hour drive through the mountains from Mostar to Sarajevo was unforgettable despite the thunderstorm .

Sarajevo was really something special, probably my favorite part of the trip despite all the beauty of Croatia. So much history and diversity to the city having been under Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian rule . Unfortunately now it’s only known to many people for the siege and it’s role in the war . It’s heartbreaking seeing the graveyards full of young people who were killed during the 90’s as the world stood by and watched . We visited museums, did a walking tour and took the cable car up the mountains . Go there if you get a chance ,just don’t mention the UN

We took a different route back to Croatia on the Saturday morning, through the Nationsl Park and Bosnian Serb territories (Republika Serbska) territories along the Montenegro border . It was another beautiful drive with stunning scenery but many of the towns along the way are grotty with reminders everywhere that you’re in Serb controlled country, just in case you get lost

Dubrovnik is relatively expensive and very touristy but it’s worth it . The city has become very popular for good reason. The drive in to the city along the coastline looking down on the old town is jaw dropping and when you arrive you can’t help but being impressed by its medieval beauty. I just hope they can keep it so clean and well kept. The walk around the city walls is a bit pricey but a must do ( not at midday when it 35c though )

A lot of things impressed me about Croatia but what I’ll remember most is the stunning coastline, the clear sea waters , the cleanliness of the country and the food , especially the seafood. I had sea bass , monkfish and squid there and they were all amongst the best I ever had . The only real negative I have about Croatia is a few impatient or aggressive drivers . For Bosnia , the food (meat lovers paradise) and the scenery were the major highlights along with the history and diversity of Sarajevo

Great trip and experience overall, can’t recommend that part of the world highly enough. Already looking forward to a holiday in Montenegro next year :)

Last edited by Conspicuous on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 am 

Many Croatians who emigrated to Oz have moved back now - evidently a great place to live on an Aussie Pension! :nod:

It's a fair exchange considering their addition to the gene pool here :shock: