Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 415  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Surely they’ll have to break their promise and use the balance sheet to fund this.

Imagine the exploding heads and full reversal with a twist moves on it? This is National's screw up. It happened under them on Brownlee's watch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:09 am 

The excuses for Labour's ability to not budget are coming out every where

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:11 am 

QED

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:29 am 

We've just got back on the EQC treadmill. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:40 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

uh huh... we're going through it now with Mum's estate, trying to get reports about work done and the rest :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Fat Old Git wrote:

Ah shit - bad luck mate.

Edit - you too GS :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
To change the subject... Trump telling his people to get in on the TPP is going to be interesting. They'll want the small number of things that got written out to be back in, and the government's going to have to choose between engaging or obstructing. My guess is that they'll engage and the 'the end is nigh' crowd will have to choose between consistency and attacking Labour.

Great negotiation by Trump here .

I doubt the concessions will be made frankly .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:49 am 

eugenius wrote:
To change the subject... Trump telling his people to get in on the TPP is going to be interesting. They'll want the small number of things that got written out to be back in, and the government's going to have to choose between engaging or obstructing. My guess is that they'll engage and the 'the end is nigh' crowd will have to choose between consistency and attacking Labour.

Yup, Trump played a blinder. Probably why the cnut has been bankrupted half a dozen times.

Re concessions on ISDP etc. to get 'Murica in, maybe, maybe not. Not really the point domestically though - it'll be a shitfight on the left regardless of the result, and will probably run all the way to 2020. Jane Kelsey's already started. Screaming mentalist of course, but a darling of the left only six months ago.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2018/04/16/g ... ttom-line/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:51 am 

eugenius wrote:

Yup, Trump played a blinder. Probably why the cnut has been bankrupted half a dozen times.

Re concessions on ISDP etc. to get 'Murica in, maybe, maybe not. Not really the point domestically though - it'll be a shitfight on the left regardless of the result, and will probably run all the way to 2020. Jane Kelsey's already started. Screaming mentalist of course, but a darling of the left only six months ago.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2018/04/16/g ... ttom-line/

It was obvious from the start that the majority of the anti-TPP sentiment in NZ was really just anti-National sentiment.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 am 

Kelsey is not a darling of the left. Her relegation to the daily blog is proof of that.

As for getting the us in on the action. I can see it happening, as free trade with the us would be huge. But would anyone want to deal with trump to get it?

Edit: dead duck is right. It was opposition for the sake of it. The worst kind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:55 am 

deadduck wrote:
It was obvious from the start that the majority of the anti-TPP sentiment in NZ was really just anti-National sentiment.

The high water mark there was the left campaigning to retain the colonist's flag on our flag.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:55 am 

deadduck wrote:

The high water mark there was the left campaigning to retain the colonist's flag on our flag.

Don’t get me f**king started on that one :x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:04 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Auckman wrote:
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/04/government-admits-potential-billion-dollar-blowout-as-eqc-publicly-apologises-for-botched-claims.html

What a complete stuff-up down there in Chch.

That's no surprise..

but f**k :((

That headline is awful clickbait reporting.
"Potential billion dollar blowout" - The guy from EQC estimates between $100 million - $300 million. Gower asks him to rule out a billion, he can't, so Gower goes with a billion in the headline. No wonder he got replaced.

I hope in the blame game for all this the contractors themselves don't get forgotten about. Some of those guys are crooks and should be the ones paying some reparation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:05 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Don’t get me f**king started on that one :x

:lol: It was opposition for opposition's sake on a lot of things. They opposed extra pay for top teachers - Mrs Doc's still bringing that up at union meetings to a very pissed-off reaction from the union muppet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:41 pm 

It was actually opposition for the sake of aesthetics.

Keys choice was f***ing dire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:55 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Kelsey is not a darling of the left. Her relegation to the daily blog is proof of that.

As for getting the us in on the action. I can see it happening, as free trade with the us would be huge. But would anyone want to deal with trump to get it?

Edit: dead duck is right. It was opposition for the sake of it. The worst kind.

Except you could also argue that that is the actual job of the opposition (and their supporters). You guys are going full on at the moment doing EXACTLY the same thing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:08 pm 

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 pm 

eugenius wrote:
It was actually opposition for the sake of aesthetics.

Keys choice was f***ing dire.

The left opposed before any choice was made. They opposed the whole thing. And ffs, it was a referendum, keys choice was irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:17 pm 

And what an expensive and utterly loaded referendum it was .

The choices allowed were as dumbed down and limited as the process involved.

And the lack of resolution was Keys major political regret ?

What a narcissistic plank.

Last edited by eugenius on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm 

Sen , I’m in a state of shock , it’s seems our completely underqualified and delusional PM is actually doing very well in her bid to gain a trading agreement with the EU.

Much of Keys ability was based on his being comfortable in his own skin , charm can’t be underrated , and Arden is wooing the fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 pm 

eugenius wrote:
And what an expensive and utterly loaded referendum it was .

The choices allowed were as dumbed down and limited as the process involved.

And the lack of resolution was Keys major regret ?

What a narcissistic plank.

The failure the change the flag was the one time Key set out to do something and outright failed. Of course it’s his biggest regret. Not to mention that he’d be taking shots at his own party if he named anything of substance as his biggest regret. This is politics after all. It’s far too soon to admit if he thinks he failed the country in any way.

Cost and process could be questioned but I thought both were appropriate given the circumstances. I thought Red Peak was actually quite a good design but public opinion was against me. I don’t see how any change to the process would’ve resulted in a different flag being chosen by the public.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 pm 

Key will never admitted to any further failure or regret .

It’s not in his make up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm 

If there had been more bipartisan support I think we would have seen more buy in from our arts scene, who are naturally left leaning, and perhaps we would have got some better design choices.
As it happened the staunch politicisation of the process by the Left likely alienated many artists and designers who may otherwise have contributed because they wouldn't want to be seen to be supporting the National Party

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:08 pm 

deadduck wrote:
If there had been more bipartisan support I think we would have seen more buy in from our arts scene, who are naturally left leaning, and perhaps we would have got some better design choices.
As it happened the staunch politicisation of the process by the Left likely alienated many artists and designers who may otherwise have contributed because they wouldn't want to be seen to be supporting the National Party

I reckon the process was stuffed from the start because, as was said at the time, the referendum asked the wrong question.

It's too clever by half to ask what you'd want if there was to be a change. The first question should have been a simple yes or no to change. Then a different process could have been undertaken to decide the design.

If you wanted to engineer a No result, the process that was followed is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:10 pm 

deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Auckman wrote:
http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/04/government-admits-potential-billion-dollar-blowout-as-eqc-publicly-apologises-for-botched-claims.html

What a complete stuff-up down there in Chch.

That's no surprise..

but f**k :((

That headline is awful clickbait reporting.
"Potential billion dollar blowout" - The guy from EQC estimates between $100 million - $300 million. Gower asks him to rule out a billion, he can't, so Gower goes with a billion in the headline. No wonder he got replaced.

I hope in the blame game for all this the contractors themselves don't get forgotten about. Some of those guys are crooks and should be the ones paying some reparation.

The headline and the presentation of the article itself is awful clickbaiting but that seems to be standard fare in NZ. The guts of it is on the money though. This is an awful situation and has been an incredibly poorly managed one right from the start.

You make a very good point about contractors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

deadduck wrote:

Bullshit what alienated the art scene was the chosen make up of the committee which lacked more than a token arts representation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 pm 

a) As much as Labour bitched about the flag referendum, a flag referendum was their policy as well so it would have happened who ever was govt.

b) The referendum wasn't even that big a landslide. The proposed new flag got more votes than Labour did in last years election

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

uh huh... we're going through it now with Mum's estate, trying to get reports about work done and the rest :(

Their process is fecked.

"Oh, you have a problem? No worries, just organise everything yourself, an engineers report, quotes etc, and then send it through to us and we might eventually consider it. Oh, and we're still getting through our 2017 pile and haven't started on anything form 2018 yet, so don't hold your breath. Ha ha..."

:(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 pm 

The flag referendum was badly done. Doomed to fail the moment they decided not to include a proper silver fern option.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 pm 

Did Labour bitch about the referendum itself or the way it was being cocked up?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

Enzedder wrote:

Is there anything they didn't bitch about?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:06 pm 

eugenius wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Bullshit what alienated the art scene was the chosen make up of the committee which lacked more than a token arts representation.

I agree with both points. In either case, the art scene was alienated. Certainly hamstrung the process.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:10 pm 

BillW wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Same with National now. Same with every opposition. It really pisses me off no end how our system promotes opposition for oppositions sake. Fans of the system seem to think an effective opposition results in better lawmaking and a stronger govt but that assumes the opposition makes constructive criticisms. If they do, it’s lost amongst all the bitching and moaning.

f**king politics. I love it as much as I hate it :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:57 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
deadduck wrote:

I reckon the process was stuffed from the start because, as was said at the time, the referendum asked the wrong question.

It's too clever by half to ask what you'd want if there was to be a change. The first question should have been a simple yes or no to change. Then a different process could have been undertaken to decide the design.

If you wanted to engineer a No result, the process that was followed is a good one.

Can't agree mate. I think if the referendum was the other way around, in the absence of options the overwhelming majority would have voted against a change and then we would never know if there was an amazing flag design lurking somewhere in the NZ psyche.

I think it was worth taking a punt on the emergence of that design, before deciding if we wanted to keep the current one. A good design would have won the referendum, unfortunately there wasn't one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:34 am 

deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Can't agree mate. I think if the referendum was the other way around, in the absence of options the overwhelming majority would have voted against a change and then we would never know if there was an amazing flag design lurking somewhere in the NZ psyche.

I think it was worth taking a punt on the emergence of that design, before deciding if we wanted to keep the current one. A good design would have won the referendum, unfortunately there wasn't one.

I bow to your local knowledge :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
BillW wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Same with National now. Same with every opposition. It really pisses me off no end how our system promotes opposition for oppositions sake. Fans of the system seem to think an effective opposition results in better lawmaking and a stronger govt but that assumes the opposition makes constructive criticisms. If they do, it’s lost amongst all the bitching and moaning.

f**king politics. I love it as much as I hate it :lol:

Yep - agree. Both sides have it wrong and I feel that they would be better served to come up with better policies when in opposition. Otherwise they don't want to be seen as "moaning minnies" - see above and see National now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:42 am 

deadduck wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
deadduck wrote:

Or worse, they would have voted for change and then have been stuck with a shite design as the option most of them where thinking would be on the table wasn't presented.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:51 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

Ah shit - bad luck mate.

Edit - you too GS :(

I did mean to reply to this and got sidetracked.. cheers Enz. It's been an interesting experience all round. I really feel for anyone who's been going through this fro the start. It's a terrible, terrible cluster of f**k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:20 am 

You poor bugger !

It’ll be bloody awful .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm 

I see Jacinda has been busy getting her picture taken with her bud Justin

She should be a bit careful here, that guy is busy forming a reputation as an idiot and I don't think she want to be seen as similarly vacuous by association.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 415  Next