Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 212  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 am 

Isn't it amazing how people would have no problem giving Graham Henry a knighthood for coaching a rugby team but when one is given to someone who lead the country for almost 3 parliamentary terms and through the global financial crisis and various disasters, it's apparently the least deserved knighthood ever.

Strange logic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 am 

deadduck wrote:
Isn't it amazing how people would have no problem giving Graham Henry a knighthood for coaching a rugby team but when one is given to someone who lead the country for almost 3 parliamentary terms and through the global financial crisis and various disasters, it's apparently the least deserved knighthood ever.

Strange logic.

Said the very same thing to someone today.

(We also give them out far too readily to sportspeople)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:53 am 

deadduck wrote:

Strange logic.

It's Muttonmong.

I'm not great fan of John Key but to say it's the least deserved knighthood ever is taking the piss. I'm not sure why sportspeople get them at all unless they do a lot of work outside the sport itself.

There was a good opinion piece in yesterday's Sunday Star times about knighthoods and how many business and sports cronies get them whereas someone volunteering for meals on wheels for 50 years gets a QSM.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:57 am 

deadduck wrote:

Strange logic.

Politics can bring out the petty and vindictive in even the most normally sane people.

Sports people getting honours (for their sport) is just a collective bit of kiwi self loving to me. Which is why it is refreshing for Jones to get it for services to the Pacific community and youth.

Having said that. Think it's all a bit wank personally, apart from recognition of your average kiwis work

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 am 

These 'honours' are colonial wank but if John Key is going to get one, then I don't see why that is a tragedy. Anyway, it is up to the Queen isn't it? Or is it the Governor-General? Nothing to do with politics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 am 

Agree Auk.....wankery! Would never address ANYONE Sir or Lady whatever. Becomes proper wankery if any of them put it on their business cards, or add titles to signatures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 am 

terangi48 wrote:
Agree Auk.....wankery! Would never address ANYONE Sir or Lady whatever. Becomes proper wankery if any of them put it on their business cards, or add titles to signatures.

Technically with Key it is now

"The Right Honourable Sir John Key"

His mates will have to buy over sized envelopes for their xmas cards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:38 am 

Let me get this straight. The same guy who was advocating for a new flag without the union jack, is now going to receive a colonial knighthood?

Fcuk out of here.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:47 am 

Tehui wrote:
Let me get this straight. The same guy who was advocating for a new flag without the union jack, is now going to receive a colonial knighthood?

Fcuk out of here.

TBF to him he isn't as bad as Michael Cullen

Actually got rid of knighthoods with Labour as a republican and then grabbed one of Key when Key brought them back in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:58 am 

So a euthanasia bill along with a medicinal cannabis bill drawn out of the ballot today.

Interesting. Pity neither will get passed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:34 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
RuggaBugga wrote:
So a euthanasia bill along with a medicinal cannabis bill drawn out of the ballot today.

I might have a chat to a couple of MPs prior to the election and canvass their views - and then go all political on their asses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 am 

Enzedder wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

I might have a chat to a couple of MPs prior to the election and canvass their views - and then go all political on their asses.

Both are no brainers to most people with more than half a braincell to rub together. Unfortunately we'll be held hostage by hysterical screaming mimi's and deluded sky fairy enthusiasts.

Last edited by RuggaBugga on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:58 am 

The voluntary euthanasia one is far-right ACT leader, David Seymour's bill. ACT got 0.69% of the party vote at the 2014 GE and continues to poll in the 0-0.5% range.

If you think far-right people like David Seymour like the idea of assisted suicide on compassionate grounds you've got rocks in your head. They're into it because it will cut the health budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:00 am 

Thai guy wrote:
The voluntary euthanasia one is far-right ACT leader, David Seymour's bill. ACT got 0.69% of the party vote at the 2014 GE and continues to poll in the 0-0.5% range.

If you think far-right people like David Seymour like the idea of assisted suicide on compassionate grounds you've got rocks in your head. They're into it because it will cut the health budget.

You love your strawmen don't you, you loony plum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am 

ACT was founded in the name of classical liberalism and laissez-faire economics.

Voluntary euthanasia is the epitome of liberalism, it's a perfect fit for ACT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:04 am 

We need Grouch, Slowy, and Eug back on this thread pronto. If the lefty Key-hating PoV is going to be left to Thai Guy it's going to get awfully dull.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:13 pm 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
We need Grouch, Slowy, and Eug back on this thread pronto. If the lefty Key-hating PoV is going to be left to Thai Guy it's going to get awfully dull.

That's a bit harsh/unfair on Enz mate. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:21 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

The former will be a conscience vote, of course. Wouldn't be surprised to see it pass its first reading before they see what they can nut out in select committee.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:24 am 

Ironic that David Seymour's proposal creates more regulation when his reason for being is to remove all regulation.

By advancing the assisted suicide bill he proposes that there would be 'safeguards' for the elderly, vulnerable, and mentally ill.

This means signatures of two doctors :lol: , citation that the patient is not under pressure, citation that the patient is of sound mind (pity the mentally-ill who are then excluded from being relieved from their suffering), and citation that the patient has a terminal illness.

I expect there will be some go-to doctors who like signing these sorts of things and will be known to the euthanasia crowd. NZ's very own Dr. Deaths.

I'm concerned that a third party doctor will not have any idea what pressure the patient is under by those around them.

I'm concerned that the very fact there is discussion with terminally ill patients about the ways forward, when assisted suicide is one of those solutions then said vulnerable patients and their families will consider themselves so useless that they may as well go even though some treatments benefit patients in different ways.

Even thought the medical association is totally against this, DHB's will be happy to use it as a way to free up beds and reduce ongoing costs because they know a lot of patients won't want to bother the world anymore.

Seymour's pet project creates so many more layers of certification and regulation than the current situation which is; no you cannot inject yourself with the same drugs as the US injects their death row inmates with. And yet he's of the 0.69% party who want zero government regulation.

The implication of assisted suicide is that the life of some terminal or heavily intellectually disabled is not worth living. This particular point is certainly right down ACT's alley as it is their firm belief that the the very damaged in our societies should not be allowed to procreate and only the strong should survive.

I wonder also what this 'exit strategy' will do for the drive for research into terminal illnesses. Seymour's bill smacks of little faith in the rapid progress of medical science.

It does though smack of cutting costs for rich taxpayers.

Seymour and his type seems to be about assisting death and not stopping it...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 am 

So you're against it because Seymour introduced it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:32 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Ironic that David Seymour's proposal creates more regulation when his reason for being is to remove all regulation.

By advancing the assisted suicide bill he proposes that there would be 'safeguards' for the elderly, vulnerable, and mentally ill.

This means signatures of two doctors :lol: , citation that the patient is not under pressure, citation that the patient is of sound mind (pity the mentally-ill who are then excluded from being relieved from their suffering), and citation that the patient has a terminal illness.

I expect there will be some go-to doctors who like signing these sorts of things and will be known to the euthanasia crowd. NZ's very own Dr. Deaths.

I'm concerned that a third party doctor will not have any idea what pressure the patient is under by those around them.

I'm concerned that the very fact there is discussion with terminally ill patients about the ways forward, when assisted suicide is one of those solutions then said vulnerable patients and their families will consider themselves so useless that they may as well go even though some treatments benefit patients in different ways.

Even thought the medical association is totally against this, DHB's will be happy to use it as a way to free up beds and reduce ongoing costs because they know a lot of patients won't want to bother the world anymore.

Seymour's pet project creates so many more layers of certification and regulation than the current situation which is; no you cannot inject yourself with the same drugs as the US injects their death row inmates with. And yet he's of the 0.69% party who want zero government regulation.

The implication of assisted suicide is that the life of some terminal or heavily intellectually disabled is not worth living. This particular point is certainly right down ACT's alley as it is their firm belief that the the very damaged in our societies should not be allowed to procreate and only the strong should survive.

I wonder also what this 'exit strategy' will do for the drive for research into terminal illnesses. Seymour's bill smacks of little faith in the rapid progress of medical science.

Maybe you should try reading it before blurting out theories of ignorance. Ie your wrong. See link

https://www.parliament.nz/resource/en-N ... 68e612ebb9

Apparently he is is genuinely doing it for good reasons. Just because you don't like a party does not mean everyone associated with it has to be an arsehole.

I respect peoples views whatever they are on the topic but you sound extremely close minded

No offence

EDIT to add:

And I wouldn't vote for ACT if you paid me to btw

I just don't assume everyone who has different political views to mine has some hidden agenda built into everything they do

Last edited by Dark on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 am 

mr bungle wrote:

(We also give them out far too readily to sportspeople)

Is that really true though? Most of the sportspeople who've gotten one have also had a fairly substantial post sports career that played a big part in the honour (or at the very least have contributed as both a player and then as a coach/administrator) . The only ones I can think of that got it purely on their achievements in sport are Richard Hadlee, Graham Henry and perhaps Fred Allen.

Last edited by Jay Cee Gee on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Lol. I just listed several reason why I'm against it. Seymour is the zero government vehicle (and almost zero support at 0.69%), that's all.

It's a oddity of MMP when a 'party' which has next to zero support has an inflated influence in government because of the support relationship.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:41 am 

Would anyone here actually ever address someone as a "sir" or "dame" like it's 1452?

Why haven't these pompous titles being abolished is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:41 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Lol. I just listed several reason why I'm against it. Seymour is the zero government vehicle (and almost zero support at 0.69%), that's all.

It's a oddity of MMP when a 'party' which has next to zero support has an inflated influence in government because of the support relationship.

The govt doesn't chose what bills get pulled from the ballot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 am 

Dark wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

Maybe you should try reading it before blurting out theories of ignorance. Ie your wrong. See link

Apparently he is is genuinely doing it for good reasons. Just because you don't like a party does not mean everyone associated with it has to be an arsehole.

I respect peoples views whatever they are on the topic but you sound extremely close minded

No offence

EDIT to add:

I just don't assume everyone who has different political views to mine has some hidden agenda built into everything they do
404 on your link.

It's not hidden. They are unashamedly zero government and personal responsibility. The inverse being supportive governance and community responsibility.

Dark wrote:
You and 99.31% of people who voted in 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am 

True Blue wrote:
Would anyone here actually ever address someone as a "sir" or "dame" like it's 1452?

It's fair to publicly honour someone for their achievements and Sir or Dame is an immediately relateable title to most people

Whereas Edmund Hillary KG ONZ KBE or Catherine Tizard ONZ GCMG GCVO DBE QSO DStJ mean very little to Joe Public

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Dark wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

No offence

EDIT to add:

404 on your link.

It's not hidden. They are unashamedly zero government and personal responsibility. The inverse being supportive governance and community responsibility.

Dark wrote:
You and 99.31% of people who voted in 2014.

Sorry mate. They have moved it since it was pulled

Try this:

The End of Life Choice Bill: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/mem ... 85905.html

Should point out, I'm pretty ok with it, and it will obviously be tweaked if it makes first and second reading, and I am quite staunch in my support for euthanasia, given the right safe guards so forgive me if I sound a bit biased or lacking in humour over the topic

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:52 pm 

Dark wrote:

Try this:

The End of Life Choice Bill: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/bill/mem ... 85905.html

Should point out, I'm pretty ok with it, and it will obviously be tweaked if it makes first and second reading, and I am quite staunch in my support for euthanasia, given the right safe guards so forgive me if I sound a bit biased or lacking in humour over the topic

I think safeguards on this are ripe for being weakened as legal action is brought to bear on legislation. The whole process with a couple of doctors signatures seems weak to me.

It's harder to get a bank loan, ffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

The last guys I called Sir were:

1. my College principal in the fifth form......was either show him some respect or get six across the arse....prick!

2. The army guy who was running the cadets at the same school.....didn't feel like carting a pack full of rocks up a hillside.....prick!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:13 pm 

So after the British election result, what chance Little as our next PM?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

Thai guy wrote:
Dark wrote:

Try this:

I think safeguards on this are ripe for being weakened as legal action is brought to bear on legislation. The whole process with a couple of doctors signatures seems weak to me.

It's harder to get a bank loan, ffs.

They can't be weakened without a law change, and that wouldn't happen

One of the doctors has to be totally independent, not chosen by the person. Pulled randomly from a pool of doctors that have signed up to a new group willing to be part of the process. A third doctor can also be called in if there is something not right.

You have to be diagnosed as dieing in six months or screwed with a degenerative illness where you might as well be dead in six months

Don't mean to sound rude dude, but how many do you want? Is 4 enough?...6?

It also can't happen unless it comes from the patient themselves when they are compos mentis, so no evil family killing their old fogies.

This I personally think is too tight as it means no one with "locked in syndrome" etc from terminal illness can do it or anyone who is basically veggie, but can understand why they did it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm 

theaxe wrote:

The latest poll will see him get rolled for Jacinda Ardern as soon as he concedes on election night.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 pm 

Thai guy wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Seymour is an mp with an electorate, and has just as much right to a members bill as anyone else in parliament. Also, act's proportion gives them one person, he is not an overhang. The only mp exceeding their party vote (overhang) is marama fox.

Theaxe, English is not as incompetent as May.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:03 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Seymour is an mp with an electorate, and has just as much right to a members bill as anyone else in parliament. Also, act's proportion gives them one person, he is not an overhang. The only mp exceeding their party vote (overhang) is marama fox.

Theaxe, English is not as incompetent as May.

Depends on how close the nats get and how many winston gets in

Could easily be a Nat/nz first govt as winston hates the greens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:08 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Thai guy wrote:

I'm in favour as I watched my father die of stomach cancer. He was in agony for ages and kept say (asking) if it could be ended.

Regretfully, I was too chicken and just pleaded (no very successfully to Drs to up the pain killers).

I am in favour so that people do not have to go out and resort to suicide by car (and have some poor train or truck driver traumatised) to avoid the pain. Stuff all the anti-suicide do gooders; I hope you and yours die a miserable painful death as well you cunts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:20 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

I'm in favour as I watched my father die of stomach cancer. He was in agony for ages and kept say (asking) if it could be ended.

Regretfully, I was too chicken and just pleaded (no very successfully to Drs to up the pain killers).

I am in favour so that people do not have to go out and resort to suicide by car (and have some poor train or truck driver traumatised) to avoid the pain. Stuff all the anti-suicide do gooders; I hope you and yours die a miserable painful death as well you cunts.

Agreed.. I'm all for this bill..But unfortunately hard to keep the politics out of it..

Will be interesting to see how the pm thinks as he's a staunch catholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:14 am 

brat wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

Agreed.. I'm all for this bill..But unfortunately hard to keep the politics out of it..

Will be interesting to see how the pm thinks as he's a staunch catholic

He'll be against. One of the few not on the fence.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:54 am 

theaxe wrote:

Little is no Jeremy Corben and the neo-lib/blairite cabal that undermined David Cunliffe at the last election surrounds him and keeps him upright with their collection of sharpened blades.

The outcome of the election should be determined by the success or failure of this venture:

http://www.rockenrol.org.nz/
if they manage to mobilise the 800k non-voters then bye to the current fascist mongrels and hopefully the unwinding of 30 years of Neo-lib BS.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:13 am 

True Blue wrote:

It reminds me of people who I work with, who hold PhDs. Most of them you wouldn't even realise held a PhD. But there are a few who love having "Dr" before their names in e-mail signatures or in reports. I love taking the mickey out of them by having the word "Sagittarius" after my name.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182 ... 212  Next