Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 294  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:40 am 

Just at the time National's starting to look vulnerable, WTF is Andrew Little up to with the defamation malarky? He's refused to apologise, then offered $26k and a Clayton's apology, then $100k and a better apology, now he's in court with a pretty articulate sounding witness / victim with the other one on death's door, and probably no better defence than reasonable comment, which I understand is heavily undermined if you haven't properly informed yourself before commenting, which the story in the public domain suggest he didn't.

If they get even a decent chunk of the $2.3M they're after, plus costs I suppose, then where does that leave him? Voters' views of his judgement in tatters, caucus that didn't want him starting to question whether it's time for Jacinda and Grant? And where does he find the money? If he ends up bankrupt he's gone as an MP!

Total clusterfcuk.

Post subject: Ret: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am 

Yeah, great isn't it. 8) :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am 

Plus Jacinda Ardern will keep polling above him in the preferred Prime Minister stakes which must be a little uncomfortable as the guy heading the party.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Plus Jacinda Ardern will keep polling above him in the preferred Prime Minister stakes which must be a little uncomfortable as the guy heading the party.

Let's face it she is hot!

If she does become Prime Minister it will be a welcome change from Jenny Shipley and Aunty Helen. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:46 am 

booji boy wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

If she does become Prime Minister it will be a welcome change from Jenny Shipley and Aunty Helen. :thumbup:

There's a problem there for Labour though. She's not achieved much in opposition, gone through several high-profile portfolios without any big hits unless you count Hello! covers, and now her looks / brand / ability to work the room / etc. have got her to within one Andrew Little fcuk-up of the top job. That's so not OK with your average 21st century lefty that she's going to have built up a lot of resentment in the party organisation.

I was surprised too that Bennett ordered an attack on her. I'd have thought it's better to let her get built up so that she's a bigger issue for Little.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
booji boy wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

There's a problem there for Labour though. She's not achieved much in opposition, gone through several high-profile portfolios without any big hits unless you count Hello! covers, and now her looks / brand / ability to work the room / etc. have got her to within one Andrew Little fcuk-up of the top job. That's so not OK with your average 21st century lefty that she's going to have built up a lot of resentment in the party organisation.

I was surprised too that Bennett ordered an attack on her. I'd have thought it's better to let her get built up so that she's a bigger issue for Little.

That could be a reflection of their opinion of Andrew Little - like "accidentally" dropping the out of form batsman in cricket.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 am 

Well Little is about as likeable as Cunliffe was so I would have thought a fresh faced hottie like Adern is exactly what Labour needs. Maybe another loss this year will propel Jacinda to the top spot and she will lead a resurgent Labour party to a landslide victory in 2020 when the electorate is finally over National. Can't see it with misery guts Little at the helm relying on a clusterfuck with the Greens plus NZ First to rule.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am 

booji boy wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Nicky Kaye had a go at her a few weeks ago. I guess criticism looks better coming from her than the 'old, white man' which freaks people out these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 am 

We still don't seem to have a really credible alternative to the current government do we. They need to stop trying to knock National down and instead build themselves up. Real policy with details about what it will achieve, and just as importantly, how.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
We still don't seem to have a really credible alternative to the current government do we. They need to stop trying to knock National down and instead build themselves up. Real policy with details about what it will achieve, and just as importantly, how.

I suspect they're being led by the old line that oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them. That's what Key did - just wait until we were fed up with Helen, Cullen, etc. I think you're right though, because the other thing Key did was just move National right over the policy ground of the centre left, so now Labour has to fight on competence rather than policy and Labour / Green / NZ First is hard to sell as competent stable government. They need some headline policies.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

I agree. That being said, National didn't stand for anything different when they took over as government either. The big thing National has over Labour is the Nats run a tight ship. Labour undermine themselves from within.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 am 

http://www.radionz.co.nz/programmes/the-9th-floor/story/201839427/the-reformer-geoffrey-palmer

Quote:
RNZ has produced The 9th Floor, a series of conversations with five New Zealand Prime Ministers, from 1989-2008.

Very interesting series of interviews about to be run by RNZ. First up, "The Reformer" - Geoffrey Palmer: Prime Minister 1989-90

Quote:
Palmer also had a much more critical role in making New Zealand nuclear free than is commonly acknowledged. It was him - not David Lange - who turned back the US warship, the USS Buchanan, at the critical moment; Lange wasn’t even in the country.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm 

kiweez wrote:
http://www.radionz.co.nz/programmes/the-9th-floor/story/201839427/the-reformer-geoffrey-palmer

Quote:
RNZ has produced The 9th Floor, a series of conversations with five New Zealand Prime Ministers, from 1989-2008.

Very interesting series of interviews about to be run by RNZ. First up, "The Reformer" - Geoffrey Palmer: Prime Minister 1989-90

Quote:
Palmer also had a much more critical role in making New Zealand nuclear free than is commonly acknowledged. It was him - not David Lange - who turned back the US warship, the USS Buchanan, at the critical moment; Lange wasn’t even in the country.

I was in a lift with you in Bowen House a couple of weeks back...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:22 pm 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure my DPS detail wouldn't have allowed that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 pm 

kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

:lol:

Maybe it was in the underground pathway under Bowen Street. Can't recall now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 pm 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

:lol:

Maybe it was in the underground pathway under Bowen Street. Can't recall now.

What side of the road is your office?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 pm 

kiweez wrote:

I'm in Bowen House. Won't say too much more on here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Last edited by kiweez on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 pm 

kiweez wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
kiweez wrote:

Flick me a PM. Email in profile.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:04 pm 

booji boy wrote:
Well Little is about as likeable as Cunliffe was so I would have thought a fresh faced hottie like Adern is exactly what Labour needs. Maybe another loss this year will propel Jacinda to the top spot and she will lead a resurgent Labour party to a landslide victory in 2020 when the electorate is finally over National. Can't see it with misery guts Little at the helm relying on a clusterfuck with the Greens plus NZ First to rule.

Little is about as likeable as Bill English too. Charisma has been sucked out of NZ politics of late. English has already demonstrated he's not quite so good at reading the public as his predecessor. Nats probably have more than enough credit in the bank to take out this election though, given Labour haven't really scored many major hits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:12 pm 

booji boy wrote:

Absolute bullshit Booji, Little is eminently more likeable than "I am sorry to be a man" c*ntlips....

Labour have a genuine shot in the upcoming elections, they are certainly not going to lose in a landslide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:29 pm 

maxbox wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Absolute bullshit Booji, Little is eminently more likeable than "I am sorry to be a man" c*ntlips....

Labour have a genuine shot in the upcoming elections, they are certainly not going to lose in a landslide

Maybe but that's not saying much is it?

But as The Doc mentioned this defamation case isn't doing Little any favours. And unlike politics he can't just lie his way out of it with bluster, smokescreens and subterfuge. The timing couldn't be worse for Little and Labour. In an election year ffs!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:05 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
But as The Doc mentioned this defamation case isn't doing Little any favours. And unlike politics he can't just lie his way out of it with bluster, smokescreens and subterfuge. The timing couldn't be worse for Little and Labour. In an election year ffs!

It will hurt his chances with national supporters. Labour supporters will see him being harrassed after taking on big business.

It will hurt less than you think

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:43 am 

This and combined with the festering sore that is foreign property ownership, Labour could actually be competitive come this election

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 pm 

maxbox wrote:
This and combined with the festering sore that is foreign property ownership, Labour could actually be competitive come this election

What you mean is Labour + the Greens might be competitive. Labour are currently polling at about 30% support vs about 46% for National and Little is 4th choice as preferred prime minister behind English, Peters and Adern.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 am 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:13 am 

Enzedder wrote:

A lot of people like Hawaiian pizza with pineapple on it (I don't). It's the tinned spaghetti in combo with the pineapple that is truly disgusting. x(

Last edited by booji boy on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:16 am 

There is no "fair" in war and politics

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:18 am 

Fixed! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:26 am 

What has Ardern done other than lose Auckland central on multiple occasions and implementing a couple of poorly thought out bills

Best way foward out of a potential mess would be national/ NZ first coalition..not ideal but the best on offer imho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:16 pm 

brat wrote:
What has Ardern done other than lose Auckland central on multiple occasions and implementing a couple of poorly thought out bills
Well, she won Mt Albert with a higher percentage of the vote than her opposite Bennett did in her manufactured seat.

Also, she hasn't leaked personal information about WINZ complainants. She hasn't overseen the birth of a new industry - taxpayer funded motel stays for low income families. She didn't even create the environment where beneficiaries and the people who help them are now separated by security doors and guards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:50 am 

Ardern's got no chance in a world where most people seem to think her name's Arden or Adern. That sort of stuff counts in a soundbitey world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 am 

kiweez wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just listened to this today and was going to post. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for the rest.

Palmer is a very principled and interesting man.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:17 am 

Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:
Well, she won Mt Albert with a higher percentage of the vote than her opposite Bennett did in her manufactured seat.

Also, she hasn't leaked personal information about WINZ complainants. She hasn't overseen the birth of a new industry - taxpayer funded motel stays for low income families. She didn't even create the environment where beneficiaries and the people who help them are now separated by security doors and guards.

Don't ever work in PR bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:

What about in the Muttonbird skinning factory? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:

What about in the Muttonbird skinning factory? ;)

Oh god, say it aint so :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 am 

Oi you - not sure if you saw it on another thread but my daughter gets her contract from your lot this Wednesday.

Hope they are a good mob to work for.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:03 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Oi you - not sure if you saw it on another thread but my daughter gets her contract from your lot this Wednesday.

Hope they are a good mob to work for.

Yep.

Happy to answer any questions or for you to pass on my details to her if you want to email the addy in my profile. Prefer not to discuss online.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:45 am 

Just at the time National's starting to look vulnerable, WTF is Andrew Little up to with the defamation malarky? He's refused to apologise, then offered $26k and a Clayton's apology, then $100k and a better apology, now he's in court with a pretty articulate sounding witness / victim with the other one on death's door, and probably no better defence than reasonable comment, which I understand is heavily undermined if you haven't properly informed yourself before commenting, which the story in the public domain suggest he didn't.

If they get even a decent chunk of the $2.3M they're after, plus costs I suppose, then where does that leave him? Voters' views of his judgement in tatters, caucus that didn't want him starting to question whether it's time for Jacinda and Grant? And where does he find the money? If he ends up bankrupt he's gone as an MP!

Total clusterfcuk.
And today Andrew Little won. He stood up to corruption on behalf of all New Zealanders and won. I imagine this politically driven court action by Hagaman will now die and Andrew Little will be able to get back to work with an increased reputation as someone speaks truth to power and someone who fights for democracy and for the ordinary Kiwi.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:51 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:

It's really easy for pro government people to ask what opposition MPs have achieved in opposition. Equally easy, I just highlighted a few of the blunders Bennett has nailed as a minister.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 294  Next