Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 296  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 879
Location: Chiang Mai
Tehui wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Last week, I decided can no longer throw my party vote behind the party I voted for at the last election.

But yesterday, I decided where I am going to throw it.

:nod:

Will everybody else be voting the same way as last time with regards to their party vote?
Who'd you vote for last election?


With respect, I'd rather not say.
Ok. I'll be voting the same as last time anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2055
Tehui wrote:
Last week, I decided can no longer throw my party vote behind the party I voted for at the last election.

But yesterday, I decided where I am going to throw it.

:nod:

Will everybody else be voting the same way as last time with regards to their party vote?


No, I'm changing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20132
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
I haven't decided yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18439
It would be interesting to do some sort of survey about where voters placed their party vote over the years. I've voted for 3 different parties since MMP. I'm about to vote for my 4th one in a couple of months.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm
Posts: 2144
Location: Wellington
The biggest block of voters who did something different between the 2011 and 2014 were "did not vote > vote National" according to http://ellisp.github.io/blog/2017/05/21/nzes-sankey

Will be interesting to see what happens this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18439
kiweez wrote:
The biggest block of voters who did something different between the 2011 and 2014 were "did not vote > vote National" according to http://ellisp.github.io/blog/2017/05/21/nzes-sankey

Will be interesting to see what happens this year.


Fascinating. Thanks for this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 994
kiweez wrote:
The biggest block of voters who did something different between the 2011 and 2014 were "did not vote > vote National" according to http://ellisp.github.io/blog/2017/05/21/nzes-sankey

Will be interesting to see what happens this year.


Very enlightening.

If this article is correct https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/11-07-2017/the-myth-of-the-missing-million/

then it would be reasonable to assume that this gain [didnot vote > national] came substantially from recent migrants who do not immediately participate in the voting process.

Could well explain why the NACTS continue to flood us with migrants (72,0000 net gain this year & climbing) despite it becoming very evident that housing, infrastucture, transport & health services can't cope.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/91921252/net-migration-gain-near-72000-as-arrivals-continue-to-climb

More ammo for Winston's mob ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 994
Tehui wrote:
It would be interesting to do some sort of survey about where voters placed their party vote over the years. I've voted for 3 different parties since MMP. I'm about to vote for my 4th one in a couple of months.


I have never voted Tory.

Voted once for Labour in 1984.

Since MMP have party voted for 3 different parties. [I do not classify ACT as a political party]

Will vote the same as the last 2 elections this time.

In my electorate I always vote for the person who convinces me they share the greatest % of my beliefs and whose track record indicates they work hard at trying to implement those beliefs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14401
Location: SW England (via NZ)
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2055
True Blue wrote:
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.


I'm the opposite. Happy to vote greens but then you get saddled with the incompetent mess that is Labour. In fact, I intend to vote greens this election, after voting National in all elections except when Don Brash was at the helm (which was also my first election).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18439
Wilderbeast wrote:
True Blue wrote:
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.


I'm the opposite. Happy to vote greens but then you get saddled with the incompetent mess that is Labour. In fact, I intend to vote greens this election, after voting National in all elections except when Don Brash was at the helm (which was also my first election).


That's quite a swing. Any particular reason why?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 994
True Blue wrote:
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.

:(
I would say NZ First is effectively Labour without the monetarists and whilst I agree that the greens are politically naive , there is no way in hell they could do anything as effective as this current bunch of visionless muppets with respect to running the country into the ground.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2055
Tehui wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
True Blue wrote:
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.


I'm the opposite. Happy to vote greens but then you get saddled with the incompetent mess that is Labour. In fact, I intend to vote greens this election, after voting National in all elections except when Don Brash was at the helm (which was also my first election).


That's quite a swing. Any particular reason why?


I need to go to bed but I can summarise it quite easily. Two key reasons.

I am taking global warming more seriously than I used to, and I have two young kids. I don't want to fudge the world over for them.

And I've finally realised that I would rather the government puts my taxes to those in need, and maintains good health, education, etc, as opposed to tax cuts. I can make my own way, give the money to those that need it. If you open your eyes to what's going on out there, it's really shit and I don't think we're doing enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18439
Wilderbeast wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
True Blue wrote:
THe problem with voting for Labour is that you are also voting for the Greens. And the Greens are imbeciles that will run the country into the ground.

Better off voting for NZ First as they are effectively Labour without the Greens baggage.


I'm the opposite. Happy to vote greens but then you get saddled with the incompetent mess that is Labour. In fact, I intend to vote greens this election, after voting National in all elections except when Don Brash was at the helm (which was also my first election).


That's quite a swing. Any particular reason why?


I need to go to bed but I can summarise it quite easily. Two key reasons.

I am taking global warming more seriously than I used to, and I have two young kids. I don't want to fudge the world over for them.

And I've finally realised that I would rather the government puts my taxes to those in need, and maintains good health, education, etc, as opposed to tax cuts. I can make my own way, give the money to those that need it. If you open your eyes to what's going on out there, it's really shit and I don't think we're doing enough.


Fair call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4583
I know which way I'll be voting...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19818
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
I know which way I'll be voting...



the Cat-Killer thanks you for the Opportunity :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am
Posts: 673
Location: NZ
05 Labour, Chester Borrows of National
08 Nats, Chester
11 Nats, Chester
14 Nats, Chester
17 ????, Harete Hipango of National


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14570
Kahu wrote:
05 Labour, Chester Borrows of National
08 Nats, Chester
11 Nats, Chester
14 Nats, Chester
17 ????, Harete Hipango of National

Didn't know you live in Whanganui. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 am
Posts: 673
Location: NZ
Naki born and bred mate but my gran is from the river city.

I wish i could vote the option of no confidence which is the same as abstaining really, but since i am blessed to live in a society which gives its citizens the right to elect its own representatives and family members went and put their lives on the line for adventure i mean democracy i will exercise my civic duty.

I won't know until i enter the polling booth but i am tossing up between TOP and the Nats at this stage for my party vote.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14570
Kahu wrote:
Naki born and bred mate but my gran is from the river city.

I wish i could vote the option of no confidence which is the same as abstaining really, but since i am blessed to live in a society which gives its citizens the right to elect its own representatives and family members went and put their lives on the line for adventure i mean democracy i will exercise my civic duty.

I won't know until i enter the polling booth but i am tossing up between TOP and the Nats at this stage for my party vote.

Onya, mate. I worked in a polling booth on the last election day and passionately believe in people exercising their civic duty. Those who can't be bothered voting, or think it won't make any difference if they do so they don't, are fucking idiots imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7149
Location: Vandean Coast
It will be interesting to see how TOP are polling and how that will affect voting. I reckon the Conservative Party at the last election lost a lot of potential votes because voters were gunshy and unsure if they'd make the 5% threshold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18439
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Kahu wrote:
Naki born and bred mate but my gran is from the river city.

I wish i could vote the option of no confidence which is the same as abstaining really, but since i am blessed to live in a society which gives its citizens the right to elect its own representatives and family members went and put their lives on the line for adventure i mean democracy i will exercise my civic duty.

I won't know until i enter the polling booth but i am tossing up between TOP and the Nats at this stage for my party vote.

Onya, mate. I worked in a polling booth on the last election day and passionately believe in people exercising their civic duty. Those who can't be bothered voting, or think it won't make any difference if they do so they don't, are fucking idiots imo.


Agree. And those people who don't vote, have no right to complain about how government policies affect them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 4694
Oh yeah TOP have got ALL THE ANSWERS with their brilliant policies. I especially like the tax on equity which will be really simple to measure and assess. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1266
booji boy wrote:
Oh yeah TOP have got ALL THE ANSWERS with their brilliant policies. I especially like the tax on equity which will be really simple to measure and assess. :roll:

I wouldn't write them off.
They should pick up a lot of votes from cat hating dope freaks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7149
Location: Vandean Coast
The problem they have is that they'll never garner enough votes to have the ability to get any of their reforms through even if they comfortably make it into parliament
And their economic reforms require all of them in place to actually work, they're not the sort of policy you can install piece by piece
Labour aren't going to agree to take on board the TOPs economic policies if they win after having spent 9 years out in the cold, they have their own agenda to push and they'll be fighting enough with NZ First and the Greens as it is
And the Nats will not want to shift from the plan that has already won them 3 elections, although they would be likely to make a few concessions if the seat bloc the TOP get is big enough to keep National in power. Whether Morgan would go for that is another question altogether

My prediction is that TOP will get about 5-6% and we'll be having another election in 12 months because the minority government formed on whichever side will be too unstable to last the term


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am
Posts: 192
TOP will likely eat into the greens vote and maybe ACT if he gets enough votes to oust them in Epsom.

Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 994
harvey wilson wrote:
TOP will likely eat into the greens vote and maybe ACT if he gets enough votes to oust them in Epsom.

Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.


Bold call by catman Gareth to stand in Epsom , guaranteed to raise his media profile whilst shoving a few sticks into the spokes of NACT spin machine.

I can't visualise his equity tax proposals ringing the bell for the Burgers of Epsom though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 994
harvey wilson wrote:
TOP will likely eat into the greens vote and maybe ACT if he gets enough votes to oust them in Epsom.

Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.


News to me , I'd like to know more about these like-minded folk .

If you're correct , I may consider voting for them for the first time ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3396
deadduck wrote:
My prediction is that TOP will get about 5-6% and we'll be having another election in 12 months because the minority government formed on whichever side will be too unstable to last the term

Big call re TOP. It'd mostly be a cannibalisation of the left vote though, and that's a problem for Labour / Greens if they just get 3% - 4%. Effectively it'll be wasted. I suspect they'll get close then the vote will collapse in the last few days when they don't look likely to make the 5%. If they do get over 5% it'd be interesting to see if they're able to work with either main party.

Re Winston, I can't for the life of me see him supporting a Labour / NZ First / Greens government. If there's one thing that's certain about Winston, it's that it's all about Winston, and he'll not want to leave a trainwreck as 40-year political legacy. He'll get a few high profile but rather meaningless concessions from National including a serious bauble or two like Deputy PM / Acting-PM-while-Bill's-away then London or Washington two years in. Then we'll have another three years of centre-right government, and maybe by then Labour will have sorted their shit out. Or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am
Posts: 192
grouch wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
TOP will likely eat into the greens vote and maybe ACT if he gets enough votes to oust them in Epsom.

Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.


News to me , I'd like to know more about these like-minded folk .

If you're correct , I may consider voting for them for the first time ever.


Hard left people like you on the fringe of politics. You appear to believe the current National government are fascists , if you were going to find anyone who'd agree with you on that you'd most likely find them in the supporters of the Green Party.

For the benefit of those who haven't reached the conclusion National are fascist can you elaborate on how you came to think that way?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3396
harvey wilson wrote:
Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.

It's an interesting point. There's deffo room for an actual environment party who like the Maori Party will support any government as long as they get some policy concessions. At the moment people with an environmental interest have nowhere to vote - it's certainly not the Green Party as they refuse to work with National so have nil bargaining power with Labour.

Matthew Hooton made an interesting point on National Radio this week - that National would rather have The Greens than Winston and The Greens therefore could get substantial concessions from them e.g. around clean waterways, irrigation, fisheries, agriculture into the carbon trading scheme, etc. But The Greens will almost certainly refuse to even discuss it and will instead spend another three years achieving nothing but self-satisfied circle-jerking.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am
Posts: 192
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
Its a shame the greens aren't an actual greens party but a collection of people who think like Grouch and once every three years pretend to care about global warming and dirty rivers. I'd vote for them if they were.

It's an interesting point. There's deffo room for an actual environment party who like the Maori Party will support any government as long as they get some policy concessions. At the moment people with an environmental interest have nowhere to vote - it's certainly not the Green Party as they refuse to work with National so have nil bargaining power with Labour.

Matthew Hooton made an interesting point on National Radio this week - that National would rather have The Greens than Winston and The Greens therefore could get substantial concessions from them e.g. around clean waterways, irrigation, fisheries, agriculture into the carbon trading scheme, etc. But The Greens will almost certainly refuse to even discuss it and will instead spend another three years achieving nothing but self-satisfied circle-jerking.


I wonder if they had someone more pragmatic like Rod Donald whether they would have been able to do what Hooten suggested? I don't think many people are fooled by the name anymore, this is closer to Jim Andertons various parties than any sort of environmental activist party.

I'm sure the TOP is going to swallow some of their votes , without winning any seats.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 879
Location: Chiang Mai
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5465
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


Big difference between social conscious and stupidity.. something the greens don't have a grasp of..

Like increasing welfare payments by 20% , scraping obligations and having no issue with long term beneficiaries -yep that's really going to incentivise people into employment


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am
Posts: 192
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


National could never work with the greens as they are now which is a party of the hard left. To even suggest national would accept them into Government would shed votes to Peters. Any talk of renewable energy etc is just a distraction from their economically disastrous policies, fortunately 90% of the country is smart enough to see though them .

The greens have acheieved nothing of substance in their years in parliament apart from the anti smacking trophy legislation which cost it and its coalition partner dearly. They might take comfort in national picking the eyes out of their policy and coopting them but that says more about their tragically low expectations than anything else.

I do find snide remarks from the left about act and uf quite odd when they were quite happy to accept uf and one of Andertons conditions for joining a coalition with labour was the waka jumping legislation to avoid another pathetic situation like the one with Alamein Kopu and five years later labour had to alter it for Anderton to do the same thing Kopu did.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 879
Location: Chiang Mai
harvey wilson wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


National could never work with the greens as they are now which is a party of the hard left. To even suggest national would accept them into Government would shed votes to Peters. Any talk of renewable energy etc is just a distraction from their economically disastrous policies, fortunately 90% of the country is smart enough to see though them .

The greens have acheieved nothing of substance in their years in parliament apart from the anti smacking trophy legislation which cost it and its coalition partner dearly. They might take comfort in national picking the eyes out of their policy and coopting them but that says more about their tragically low expectations than anything else.

I do find snide remarks from the left about act and uf quite odd when they were quite happy to accept uf and one of Andertons conditions for joining a coalition with labour was the waka jumping legislation to avoid another pathetic situation like the one with Alamein Kopu and five years later labour had to alter it for Anderton to do the same thing Kopu did.
Sorry. The left were happy to accept UF when they were relevant at 7%. Snide remarks is all UF deserve with 0.22% in 2014. ACT not much better at 0.69%. Both parties on life support overseen by a cynical and desperate National Party. Someone needs to turn off the switch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6311
Driving around Clutha Southland today and noticing a definite lack of billboards ...

Labour have zero interest in the provinces but could have a bit of a push here

"Queenstown Todd " Barclay has given away the safest seat in the country .... dickhead


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 am
Posts: 879
Location: Chiang Mai
brat wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


Big difference between social conscious and stupidity.. something the greens don't have a grasp of..

Like increasing welfare payments by 20% , scraping obligations and having no issue with long term beneficiaries -yep that's really going to incentivise people into employment
You'll have to point me to where it says they'll scrap obligations and that they don't have an issue with long term beneficiaries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3396
Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


Big difference between social conscious and stupidity.. something the greens don't have a grasp of..

Like increasing welfare payments by 20% , scraping obligations and having no issue with long term beneficiaries -yep that's really going to incentivise people into employment
You'll have to point me to where it says they'll scrap obligations and that they don't have an issue with long term beneficiaries.

I think that absolutely mental policy was lost in the fog of MT admitting fraud and blaming it on being much better off than my parents.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5465
Thai guy wrote:
brat wrote:
Thai guy wrote:
Really, to imagine the Greens being in a government with National is fantasy stuff. Hooton and his type always brings this up before every election in the hope of driving a wedge between the Greens and Labour if not directly then in the eyes of the voting public.

Without even getting into the Greens developing social policy, National's very existence is to provide the conditions for Fed Farmers and the dairy industry to make maximum profit no matter the environmental cost. How to you think the Greens would work within that framework? The idea that the Greens would get policy concessions at the expense of farmers is ridiculous.

I can see why National voters get upset by the idea the Greens might develop social policy alongside their core mission of environmental responsibility and move to renewable energy. Another voice on the socially conscious left is too much to bear for some.

As for the Greens achieving nothing in opposition - that's a fallacy. The National Party constantly steals watered down policy from both Labour and the Greens when they think they lose support if they don't. Compulsory insulation for rentals is once such instance and guess what, it's a social policy. Even today Bling and Conehead announced a $600m Auckland infrastructure fund which has been Labour policy since 2015.

Also, Morgan won't get 1.5%. Ironically more than ACT and UF combined in 2014.


Big difference between social conscious and stupidity.. something the greens don't have a grasp of..

Like increasing welfare payments by 20% , scraping obligations and having no issue with long term beneficiaries -yep that's really going to incentivise people into employment
You'll have to point me to where it says they'll scrap obligations and that they don't have an issue with long term beneficiaries.


Google is your friend

I'm sorry but the greens to me are potentially the most damaging of all the parties.. luckily they'll probably be in opposition again


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11806 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185 ... 296  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: backrow, Big Nipper, Bindi, Bing [Bot], BokJock, earl the beaver, Edinburgh01, eldanielfire, eugenefraxby, Flametop, FravBront, Google Adsense [Bot], irishrugbyua, JB1981, Jeff the Bear, koroke hangareka, Market Square Hero, Mustapha, panamax, penguin, polyallstar, PornDog, S Club, sim_in_mel, sturginho, tabascoboy, The Sun God, Toro, TQoET, ukjim, UncleFB, Whatever, Zakar, Zeitgeist, zt1903 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group