Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 398  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:59 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Have to acknowledge Jacinda’s instincts and timing, getting to the games in time for photo opps with our Golden Black Sticks. She is a very quick study for someone thrust into this position so suddenly.

She had a good teacher -

Better not call him a teacher though. He'd be fined $2,000 under proposed new law. How about lecturer?

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/ ... acher.html

That will never happen - Jenny marcroft fantasy that won't get to the books. Typical National lie

How is it a National lie?

You are posting it as fact that the law is in place. So are National MPs - this posting of lies is just endemic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:12 am 

I'm not very happy with Ardern's statement on the Syrian strikes, when no case has been presented to justify the strikes apart from 'trust us' and no resolution enabling the strikes has emerged from the UNSC. We have had it conclusively demonstrated to us that we can't trust them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:19 am 

usermame wrote:
I'm not very happy with Ardern's statement on the Syrian strikes, when no case has been presented to justify the strikes apart from 'trust us' and no resolution enabling the strikes has emerged from the UNSC. We have had it conclusively demonstrated to us that we can't trust them.

Would imagine she is on egg shells after the hash she made with the spy thing.

Out of her depth again

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 am 

usermame wrote:

The UNSC won't issue a resolution on Syria... Russia will just veto any move and neuter it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 am 

guy smiley wrote:
usermame wrote:

The UNSC won't issue a resolution on Syria... Russia will just veto any move and neuter it.

So what? We know we can't trust the members of the SC. How many times do we need it demonstrated conclusively? I don't like the way she rolled over for them.

edit...'them' in this case is those breaching the UN Charter - UK, US, France.

Last edited by usermame on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 am 

Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

Well I'd have preferred she just told them to get fucked, but I didn't think she made too bad a hash of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 am 

usermame wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
usermame wrote:

So what? We know we can't trust the members of the SC. How many times do we need it demonstrated conclusively? I don't like the way she rolled over for them.

edit...'them' in this case is those breaching the UN Charter - UK, US, France.

On one hand, you want a resolution from the UNSC, then on the other hand you're suggesting you can't trust the UNSC.

It's an interesting proposition you're making.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 am 

Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

Did she "get some guts"?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am 

guy smiley wrote:
On one hand, you want a resolution from the UNSC, then on the other hand you're suggesting you can't trust the UNSC.

I want to stay within the bounds of the UN Charter. A UNSC resolution is required for use of force in most situations. If you want to abandon the UN Charter, for all its flaws, good luck to you. If you want to trust what the UK or the US says about events in the ME, you'll need more than luck.

edit...Oh, I should have been more clear and made it clear it was the permanent members of the UNSC to which I was referring.

Last edited by usermame on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:21 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Did she "get some guts"?

Ah, I see she's visiting Macron to talk 'free trade'. That explains that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 am 

look_spanky wrote:
BillW wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:
deadduck wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that in a region regularly stricken by drought that they would benefit from some sort of irrigation scheme, if the water is available.

But the point is that the water storage wouldn't be available to a vast area of the Council's coverage - e.g. Cheviot - and money hasn't been spent fixing the water supply issues in Amberley, yet they're willing to invest ratepayer money in a scheme that primarily benefits a relatively small area, and an even smaller number of ratepayers within the wider Huranui area. Also, given the ongoing earthquake issues referred to in the article, it seems strange to be prioritising an irrigation scheme.

What have earthquake issues got to do with irrigation?
What have the water supply issues in Amberley got to do with this irrigation scheme?
Should a council not invest in anything that does not have a direct benefit to every resident?
Should a council not build a swimming pool in Culverden if it doesn't benefit people in Cheviot FFS?

I think you are totally confused.
I live in Hurunui and do not directly benefit from this scheme but I see no downside.
Only good comes irrigation schemes.

I have lived and worked in the Hurunui district for most of my life, I grew up in Cheviot. I also have dealt with farmers on a day to day basis in my work, and have been on hundreds of farms during that time. The fact is farmers do not know how to farm this dry area properly. When you allow your stock to chew grass to the dirt you're always going to have issues. When you spray out large swathes of matagouri and other scrub, you're going to lose your top soil. There is one particular farmer who seems to spend 12 hours a day bulldozing his entire farm in to the Hurunui river. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't run your business and make a profit then let someone else take over who can. We don't prop up any other business community nearly as much as we do farming.

I don't see any problems raised in your diatribe that would not be fixed by a good irrigation system.
You come across as just another self appointed expert on an industry that you have no experience in.
And you're barking mad if you think that no other business is propped up like farming.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 am 

usermame wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I want to stay within the bounds of the UN Charter. A UNSC resolution is required for use of force in most situations. If you want to abandon the UN Charter, for all its flaws, good luck to you. If you want to trust what the UK or the US says about events in the ME, you'll need more than luck.

I'd love to believe in the UN as a world authority but I think events of the last 10-15 years would suggest it's becoming a toothless irrelevance. As you allude in your post about Macron, there's a wider game at stake and while i haven't seen or heard whatever it was Ardern said, saying we're 'ok' with things is slightly better than 'standing right behind / beside our allies'...

and then there's the sticky issue of Syria itself aside from semantics and principles. 'Something should have been done' long ago in Syria. The posturing from the US and Russia is alarming of course, who knows how far this could go although I suspect it'll be no more than continental strutting and chest puffery but the worrying dark horse is China sitting there quietly expanding its influence and looking to capitalise on any power vacuum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:44 am 

Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

And Key would have said ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:20 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
I'd love to believe in the UN as a world authority but I think events of the last 10-15 years would suggest it's becoming a toothless irrelevance.

That may be the case. Until we leave the UN we should uphold the charter and expect the other signatories to uphold it as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am 

eugenius wrote:
Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

:lol: If there was a gold medal for irrelevant whataboutery you'd have just streaked home by a lap or two.

Ardern will have had no option but to swallow several dead rats in terms of the Middle East, US / UK relations, defence and security policy, and so on. She's solid urban leftie and will personally be of the opinion that NZ has absolutely no business with troops in Iraq, or supporting one side or other in Syria, or keeping quiet when the IDF shoots dozens of civilians. But, she'll have had the Ministry of Defence, the spooks, MFAT, etc. explain to her that the effect of her doing what she thinks is the right thing is totally unthinkable. She said the bare minimum acceptable to the interests she needs to appease.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
eugenius wrote:
Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

:lol: If there was a gold medal for irrelevant whataboutery you'd have just streaked home by a lap or two.

Ardern will have had no option but to swallow several dead rats in terms of the Middle East, US / UK relations, defence and security policy, and so on. She's solid urban leftie and will personally be of the opinion that NZ has absolutely no business with troops in Iraq, or supporting one side or other in Syria, or keeping quiet when the IDF shoots dozens of civilians. But, she'll have had the Ministry of Defence, the spooks, MFAT, etc. explain to her that the effect of her doing what she thinks is the right thing is totally unthinkable. She said the bare minimum acceptable to the interests she needs to appease.

Pretty much my take. Not sure how this shows she is out of her depth though.

The green are predictably up in arms. They’re starting to annoy me a bit (context, they got my vote).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
The green are predictably up in arms. They’re starting to annoy me a bit (context, they got my vote).

I'm wallowing in nostalgia for the days of a 'moral foreign policy'. Ardern and New Zealand will receive no return on following other countries' adventures, apart perhaps from the military being allowed to play with others' toys. We've had that demonstrated enough times, Shirley? That being the case she might as well tell them to fuck off with their Middle East tar babies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 am 

usermame wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I'm wallowing in nostalgia for the days of a 'moral foreign policy'. Ardern and New Zealand will receive no return on following other countries' adventures, apart perhaps from the military being allowed to play with others' toys. We've had that demonstrated enough times, Shirley? That being the case she might as well tell them to fuck off with their Middle East tar babies.

Won't ever happen because our grand policies include:

- to be reliant on the US etc. for defence
- reliant on Five Eyes for intelligence
- to want FTAs with Europe, the UK, and the US
- to use the US as a political balance as China expands its interests in the Pacific

The Greens can afford to pontificate and look superior but if they were that bothered they'd make it a C&S issue. I'll bet my arse they don't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 am 

eugenius wrote:
Dark wrote:
usermame wrote:

Out of her depth again

Should she GET SOME GUTS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:34 am 

usermame wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Won't ever happen because our grand policies include:

- to use the US as a political balance as China expands its interests in the Pacific

The Greens can afford to pontificate and look superior but if they were that bothered they'd make it a C&S issue. I'll bet my arse they don't.

There is no such thing as a moral foreign policy only a pragmatic one. That doesn't mean you can't make moral choices. Just that if you do they tend to align with economic and strategic ones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:37 am 

We should only talk tough if we can back it up. We can't so we should just shut up and let the big kids fight it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

She's done exactly what Key did, just dressed it up better. Which of course is a bit of a theme for her government.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:40 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

She's done exactly what Key did, just dressed it up better. Which of course is a bit of a theme for her government.

No, Key sent in ground troops secretly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

oh.. so he was out of his depth too?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 am 

Enzedder wrote:
We should only talk tough if we can back it up. We can't so we should just shut up and let the big kids fight it out.
Exactly. Get our troops out of their mission creep in Iraq and leave the mess to those who fucked it up originally. Reliant on the US for defence against whom? The US will act in its own interest. This has repeatedly been shown to be the case in regard to NZ. Fair enough, that's its interests. They're not ours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

Ardern is not addressing the mission creep. Yet.

Last edited by usermame on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

oh.. so he was out of his depth too?

Nope, none of the "too" stuff - Ardern almost got it spot on. I would have preferred if she had said nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Should she GET SOME GUTS

And Ardern's kept them there.

If you think for a second that the Ardern government has confronted the military and intelligence communities, has instructed them to give away their default mode of half-truths and obfuscation, and we're now being told the full truth about what they're really doing, then I'm afraid you're dreaming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:03 am 

The policy points you make may well be true but I can't see how not expelling Russian diplomats, pointing out the breach of the UN charter in the Syrian raids and bringing troops back from mission creep will alter any of that.

We won't be given economic advantage for being a poodle. We've dealt with the EU enough to know about that. I bet we give more than we get in five eyes, I'm sure the analysis of the data we get back is restricted. Too, the ANZUS breach determined we don't rely on the US for defence.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:17 am 

usermame wrote:
The policy points you make may well be true but I can't see how not expelling Russian diplomats, pointing out the breach of the UN charter in the Syrian raids and bringing troops back from mission creep will alter any of that.

Because it annoys people we want things from? Ardern's in France right now trying to get them to shift more to the German position on agriculture trade. It doesn't help if five days earlier you've called them out for illegally attacking another country.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 am 

NZ still being in five eyes is quite astonishing given the country was suspended from ANZUS back in the 1980s.

Shows that an independent foreign policy doesn't exactly cut all the benefits of "being in the club". The US obviously still finds NZ useful despite not toeing the party line at every step of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am 

Because it annoys people we want things from? Ardern's in France right now trying to get them to shift more to the German position on agriculture trade. It doesn't help if five days earlier you've called them out for illegally attacking another country.

They will not give us charity because we say nice things about them. We know that. Likewise they won't act against their interests because we point out they commit crimes against peace. I can't understand why you think they will.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am 

Auckman wrote:
NZ still being in five eyes is quite astonishing given the country was suspended from ANZUS back in the 1980s.

Shows that an independent foreign policy doesn't exactly cut all the benefits of "being in the club". The US obviously still finds NZ useful despite not toeing the party line at every step of the way.

ANZUS was the biggest con ever. It bound the parties to 'consult', yet was used as a lever to make that weak cunt Holyoake commit troops to Vietnam. Looks like we still haven't learnt our lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am 

Auckman wrote:

I've always wondered if we're really told everything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:00 am 

In fact, it turns out it didn't even bind the parties to consult. Nuke ship visits were not mentioned in it, yet were determined to be cause enough to unbind the parties' requirement to 'consult'. Sooner or later we'll learn our lesson more fully.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:01 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
I've always wondered if we're really told everything.

Of course we are.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 am 

Article X is my favourite.
ANZUS Treaty
Article X

This Treaty shall remain in force indefinitely. Any Party may cease to be a member of the Council established by Article VII one year after notice has been given to the Government of Australia, which will inform the Governments of the other Parties of the deposit of such notice.

http://australianpolitics.com/1951/09/01/anzus-treaty-text.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am 

I don't care what anyone else says now - do this and you are the best Government ever

Quote:
Government looking at making wheel clamping illegal

Transport Minister Phil Twyford says wheel clamping needs to be illegal - and he is working on legislation to make that happen.

Twyford said on Monday he was working with Consumer Affairs Minister Kris Faafoi on legislation that would ban the controversial practice.

"It is time to change the law and either ban wheel clamping or regulate it."

"I regard the wheel clamping industry as predators and bottom feeders," he said.

Regine Du Villier, 86, was confronted by a wheel clamper demanding $200 cash after she parked her car for 15 minutes because she was too ill to drive.

"I don't believe National's voluntary code of conduct has made a blind bit of difference. This latest case shows it's just not on."

Twyford's comments followed the story of an ill 86-year-old woman who was clamped in Henderson while she sought help for her medical condition.

The $200 fine was eventually voided by the clamping company, but only after police were involved.

Gordon Ward, a spokesperson for the Elite Parking Services, said that the clamper only saw a car illegally parked and not the person.

He rejected calls for a ban.

"Banning would be foolish because you are taking a tool for enforcement on private property," Ward said.

He said the Government should not be involved in regulating behaviour on private property.

In response to Twyford's description of clampers as "bottom feeders", Ward said Twyford was just a politician and "we know how everyone feels about them".

Elite Parking Services would not sign up to the current code of practice as it was currently written, Ward said.

The code was written by groups who advocated for drivers without substantial consultation with property owners, he said.

Automobile Association (AA) principle advisor Mark Stockdale said the organisation was against the practice of clamping and advocated for it to be made illegal.

"The AA's position is still that we want to see wheel clamping banned."

Alternatively, AA would like to see the private parking sector legally regulated, with greater public education around the rules.

"You can't enforce the rules if people don't know what the rules are."

Stockdale said many people who were clamped accepted that they were wrong, however complained the fine was "extortionate".

"Anyone in the parking business, if they are serious and want to improve compliance, then they should be looking seriously at adopting the code," he said.

Twyford did not know when a proposed law banning clamping would make it to Parliament.

While in opposition, Twyford spoke out against clamping and called for it to be banned.

Stuff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am 

usermame wrote:

They will not give us charity because we say nice things about them. We know that. Likewise they won't act against their interests because we point out they commit crimes against peace. I can't understand why you think they will.

Not sure what you're getting at. Diplomacy isn't about charity, it's about explicit and implicit deals where each party gets something they want in exchange for doing something they'd otherwise rather not do. We'll support your FTA ambitions if you don't publicly object to us killing Syrians to distract our voting public from our disastrous domestic performance. For instance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

Pretty much my take. Not sure how this shows she is out of her depth though.

Ah, so it's your fault then.

*adds Wilderbeast to list*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 398  Next