Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21482
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
I don't care what anyone else says now - do this and you are the best Government ever

Quote:
Government looking at making wheel clamping illegal

Transport Minister Phil Twyford says wheel clamping needs to be illegal - and he is working on legislation to make that happen.

Twyford said on Monday he was working with Consumer Affairs Minister Kris Faafoi on legislation that would ban the controversial practice.

"It is time to change the law and either ban wheel clamping or regulate it."

"I regard the wheel clamping industry as predators and bottom feeders," he said.

Regine Du Villier, 86, was confronted by a wheel clamper demanding $200 cash after she parked her car for 15 minutes because she was too ill to drive.

"I don't believe National's voluntary code of conduct has made a blind bit of difference. This latest case shows it's just not on."

Twyford's comments followed the story of an ill 86-year-old woman who was clamped in Henderson while she sought help for her medical condition.

The $200 fine was eventually voided by the clamping company, but only after police were involved.

Gordon Ward, a spokesperson for the Elite Parking Services, said that the clamper only saw a car illegally parked and not the person.

He rejected calls for a ban.

"Banning would be foolish because you are taking a tool for enforcement on private property," Ward said.

He said the Government should not be involved in regulating behaviour on private property.

In response to Twyford's description of clampers as "bottom feeders", Ward said Twyford was just a politician and "we know how everyone feels about them".

Elite Parking Services would not sign up to the current code of practice as it was currently written, Ward said.

The code was written by groups who advocated for drivers without substantial consultation with property owners, he said.

Automobile Association (AA) principle advisor Mark Stockdale said the organisation was against the practice of clamping and advocated for it to be made illegal.

"The AA's position is still that we want to see wheel clamping banned."

Alternatively, AA would like to see the private parking sector legally regulated, with greater public education around the rules.

"You can't enforce the rules if people don't know what the rules are."

Stockdale said many people who were clamped accepted that they were wrong, however complained the fine was "extortionate".

"Anyone in the parking business, if they are serious and want to improve compliance, then they should be looking seriously at adopting the code," he said.

Twyford did not know when a proposed law banning clamping would make it to Parliament.

While in opposition, Twyford spoke out against clamping and called for it to be banned.

Stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3781
usermame wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Because it annoys people we want things from? Ardern's in France right now trying to get them to shift more to the German position on agriculture trade. It doesn't help if five days earlier you've called them out for illegally attacking another country.

They will not give us charity because we say nice things about them. We know that. Likewise they won't act against their interests because we point out they commit crimes against peace. I can't understand why you think they will.

Not sure what you're getting at. Diplomacy isn't about charity, it's about explicit and implicit deals where each party gets something they want in exchange for doing something they'd otherwise rather not do. We'll support your FTA ambitions if you don't publicly object to us killing Syrians to distract our voting public from our disastrous domestic performance. For instance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7419
Location: Vandean Coast
Wilderbeast wrote:

Pretty much my take. Not sure how this shows she is out of her depth though.

The green are predictably up in arms. They’re starting to annoy me a bit (context, they got my vote).


Ah, so it's your fault then.

*adds Wilderbeast to list*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5820
Location: Te Ika a Maui
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Not sure what you're getting at. Diplomacy isn't about charity, it's about explicit and implicit deals where each party gets something they want in exchange for doing something they'd otherwise rather not do. We'll support your FTA ambitions if you don't publicly object to us killing Syrians to distract our voting public from our disastrous domestic performance. For instance.

Ok. I'm going to stop now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5820
Location: Te Ika a Maui
deadduck wrote:
Ah, so it's your fault then.

*adds Wilderbeast to list*

Me too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3781
usermame wrote:
Ok. I'm going to stop now.

Can you though?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7419
Location: Vandean Coast
So I was looking up that classic "Get Some Guts!" speech and came across this

Now my question is, how the heck does the sign language translator manage to keep up with Key for the first two and a half minutes :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2281
deadduck wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Pretty much my take. Not sure how this shows she is out of her depth though.

The green are predictably up in arms. They’re starting to annoy me a bit (context, they got my vote).


Ah, so it's your fault then.

*adds Wilderbeast to list*


Yes. All of it. :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2281
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet


Bro, trying too hard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet


Bro, trying too hard.


Is it?

Unless the actual not getting oil is symbolic they cancel each other out

The shipping of extra exports is probably higher in emmissions than doing the exploration


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3781
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet

That was one of the more stupid examples of supply-side thinking. The only thing that'll reduce emissions is reducing demand, and if we kill local supply we need to import, which puts emissions up not down.

Still, the signal is virtuous. :thumbup:

Just watching The Nation - the Minister for Construction telling us that even if their apprentice numbers pan out they need about 30,000 skilled migrants in the short to medium term. anyone care for a side wager on how much immigration numbers are going to actually come down vs. Labour's and NZ First's promises?

[EDIT - haha, Dark beat me to it.]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet

That was one of the more stupid examples of supply-side thinking. The only thing that'll reduce emissions is reducing demand, and if we kill local supply we need to import, which puts emissions up not down.

Still, the signal is virtuous. :thumbup:

Just watching The Nation - the Minister for Construction telling us that even if their apprentice numbers pan out they need about 30,000 skilled migrants in the short to medium term. anyone care for a side wager on how much immigration numbers are going to actually come down vs. Labour's and NZ First's promises?

[EDIT - haha, Dark beat me to it.]


That and for some odd reason Labour think that NZ stopping drilling is going to some how get anyones attention and make them go

"Wait guys! The kiwis have stopped. We need a rethink!"

Per day global oil production comes out at 80,622,000 barrels

NZ is 35,580

It stupid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet


Bro, trying too hard.


Is it?

Unless the actual not getting oil is symbolic they cancel each other out

The shipping of extra exports is probably higher in emmissions than doing the exploration


One 'm' bro. Give up with the hummer.

Cancelling new exploration is very much a long term aspiration. We already hashed this over but some of you guys just can't let it go in the depths of your depravity and obsession. You make a reasonable point about emissions caused in shipping... that's actually not all that hard to fix and coincidentally, pressure is being put on the body that controls shipping world wide to do just that. Alternative power generation for heavy haulage that generates lower emissions is doable... whereas to play your game here about the comparative benefits of stopping exploration cancels out s a f**king shipload more emissions. Hands down,. Easy.

No new oil?; No emissions.

Ruby red smacked arse cheeks easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Dark wrote:
So Ardern is in France and the UK to try to get a free trade deal to up our emmissions in shipped exports after banning oil exploration because of emmissions.

Sweet


Bro, trying too hard.


Is it?

Unless the actual not getting oil is symbolic they cancel each other out

The shipping of extra exports is probably higher in emmissions than doing the exploration


One 'm' bro. Give up with the hummer.

Cancelling new exploration is very much a long term aspiration. We already hashed this over but some of you guys just can't let it go in the depths of your depravity and obsession. You make a reasonable point about emissions caused in shipping... that's actually not all that hard to fix and coincidentally, pressure is being put on the body that controls shipping world wide to do just that. Alternative power generation for heavy haulage that generates lower emissions is doable... whereas to play your game here about the comparative benefits of stopping exploration cancels out s a f**king shipload more emissions. Hands down,. Easy.

No new oil?; No emissions.

Ruby red smacked arse cheeks easy.


All our oil is exported

We will still be importing the same


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2281
Pointless virtue signalling.

https://www.westpac.co.nz/rednews/busin ... ge-action/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2281
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.


My bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1373
Meanwhile a good news story.
Water quality improving.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12033498
Quote:
Ecologist Dr Roger Young, of Cawthron Institute Freshwater Group, said the overall picture was encouraging.
"Looking back from 2016 at a decade of data, for every monitored parameter, more sites showed evidence of improving water quality than degrading.
"My hope is this could represent a turning point in New Zealand's river health story,'' he said.
The national picture showed that in water clarity, ammoniacal nitrogen and total phosphorus concentrations indicated 11, 8 and 16 times more sites with improving trends than degrading trends, respectively.
The report said: "Compared to a previous national water quality trend summary based on data from 2004-2013), the latest results were generally consistent but provide more positive signs relating to water quality improvements.
"Both found more improving trends than degrading trends for total phosphorus, dissolved reactive phosphorus, E.coli, ammonia al nitrogen and water clarity.''


Great to see the work initiated under the previous administration starting to bear fruit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Wilderbeast wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.


My bad.


I vote Greens in Aus, comrade. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.



This is the bit that slightly irritates me.

It doesn't have to be all out or all in.

I agree with climate change, but you have to be realistic of the impact we can make as a country.

By all means prepare to transition, but to try to be some sort of world guardian given the zero impact whatever we do makes is dumb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2281
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.



This is the bit that slightly irritates me.

It doesn't have to be all out or all in.

I agree with climate change, but you have to be realistic of the impact we can make as a country.

By all means prepare to transition, but to try to be some sort of world guardian given the zero impact whatever we do males is dumb


So we sit pretty and drill oil for all it’s worth while telling everyone else to stop? Also, you realise this is a transition right? Existing permits will be honoured and Taranaki has been given extra time. Drilling in nz isn’t going to dry up for decades.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.



This is the bit that slightly irritates me.

It doesn't have to be all out or all in.

I agree with climate change, but you have to be realistic of the impact we can make as a country.

By all means prepare to transition, but to try to be some sort of world guardian given the zero impact whatever we do makes is dumb



Don't torture yourself over the size of the contribution. Be thankful you can give something.

Seriously, that is such a specious argument. As I said pages back, it's essentially the argument used by the likes of Tony Abbott. It may be just symbolic to you... but it's quite a potent symbol and considering it won't realistically cost anything, it's well worth doing. Great selling point to that theme we all know is sort of bullshit about NZ's appeal being the clean and green thing, too. I mean, tourism and agriculture are our biggest earners, right? Based on... clean and green, right? SO shouldn't we all be standing here, hats off and pants down in appreciation of this marketing master stroke?

John Key could dream of a rockstar move like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:



You don't want to go talking about the cost of not facing up to climate change. That's not part of the steady as she goes profit picture.



This is the bit that slightly irritates me.

It doesn't have to be all out or all in.

I agree with climate change, but you have to be realistic of the impact we can make as a country.

By all means prepare to transition, but to try to be some sort of world guardian given the zero impact whatever we do makes is dumb



Don't torture yourself over the size of the contribution. Be thankful you can give something.

Seriously, that is such a specious argument. As I said pages back, it's essentially the argument used by the likes of Tony Abbott. It may be just symbolic to you... but it's quite a potent symbol and considering it won't realistically cost anything, it's well worth doing. Great selling point to that theme we all know is sort of bullshit about NZ's appeal being the clean and green thing, too. I mean, tourism and agriculture are our biggest earners, right? Based on... clean and green, right? SO shouldn't we all be standing here, hats off and pants down in appreciation of this marketing master stroke?

John Key could dream of a rockstar move like that.


This I would love you to qualify


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Ungranted exploration licenses can't lose you money, only lost potential earnings. Consider the prospect of any sort of carbon pricing structure coming into play on world markets and your potential earnings are taking a large hit. Consider the market led shift to clean energy underway around the world right now (and it's bigger than is really being widely reported) and oil starts to look like a dodgier proposition long term.

It won't cost anything. What you might earn from them won't be worth worrying about past 2030.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Ungranted exploration licenses can't lose you money, only lost potential earnings. Consider the prospect of any sort of carbon pricing structure coming into play on world markets and your potential earnings are taking a large hit. Consider the market led shift to clean energy underway around the world right now (and it's bigger than is really being widely reported) and oil starts to look like a dodgier proposition long term.

It won't cost anything. What you might earn from them won't be worth worrying about past 2030.


So the 6000-10000 direct jobs and the indirect jobs in the small regions aren't a cost?

Or the loss of currently about 800 million in revenue


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3781
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Don't torture yourself over the size of the contribution. Be thankful you can give something.

Seriously, that is such a specious argument. As I said pages back, it's essentially the argument used by the likes of Tony Abbott. It may be just symbolic to you... but it's quite a potent symbol and considering it won't realistically cost anything, it's well worth doing. Great selling point to that theme we all know is sort of bullshit about NZ's appeal being the clean and green thing, too. I mean, tourism and agriculture are our biggest earners, right? Based on... clean and green, right? SO shouldn't we all be standing here, hats off and pants down in appreciation of this marketing master stroke?

John Key could dream of a rockstar move like that.


This I would love you to qualify

Agree with GS on that. Production will continue. All existing exploration rights - out to 2030 - will continue. New onshore exploration rights will be awarded (!!??!!). It's a signal. A virtuous one.

What it will cost (as Hooton said today) is Jones spending part of his slush fund in the grumpy areas to protect Labour and NZ First votes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Ungranted exploration licenses can't lose you money, only lost potential earnings. Consider the prospect of any sort of carbon pricing structure coming into play on world markets and your potential earnings are taking a large hit. Consider the market led shift to clean energy underway around the world right now (and it's bigger than is really being widely reported) and oil starts to look like a dodgier proposition long term.

It won't cost anything. What you might earn from them won't be worth worrying about past 2030.


So the 6000-10000 direct jobs and the indirect jobs in the small regions aren't a cost?

Or the loss of currently about 800 million in revenue



You reckon you 'agree with climate change'. I don't think you believe that.




Meanwhile, tell me about these direct jobs related to oil exploration. Step me through this because I don't currently live in NZ and I may be highly sceptical of those numbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Ungranted exploration licenses can't lose you money, only lost potential earnings. Consider the prospect of any sort of carbon pricing structure coming into play on world markets and your potential earnings are taking a large hit. Consider the market led shift to clean energy underway around the world right now (and it's bigger than is really being widely reported) and oil starts to look like a dodgier proposition long term.

It won't cost anything. What you might earn from them won't be worth worrying about past 2030.


So the 6000-10000 direct jobs and the indirect jobs in the small regions aren't a cost?

Or the loss of currently about 800 million in revenue



You reckon you 'agree with climate change'. I don't think you believe that.




Meanwhile, tell me about these direct jobs related to oil exploration. Step me through this because I don't currently live in NZ and I may be highly sceptical of those numbers.


Ahh. The "don't agree with my method has to be a denier" fall back

Try Google

The estimates are from 6000 to 10000 from various govt advisers and independents

The various is why I didn't put a definitive number


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
No... I was suggesting that if you 'agree with climate change' then you wouldn't be recommending any investment in fossil fuel industries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
No... I was suggesting that if you 'agree with climate change' then you wouldn't be recommending any investment in fossil fuel industries.


What investment?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
No... I was suggesting that if you 'agree with climate change' then you wouldn't be recommending any investment in fossil fuel industries.


So your argument is no other oecd oil countries in the world apart from France and now us believe in climate change


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
No... I was suggesting that if you 'agree with climate change' then you wouldn't be recommending any investment in fossil fuel industries.


So your argument is no other oecd oil countries in the world apart from France and now us believe in climate change

:lol: :lol:

actually, I am just going to laugh.

:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Dark wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
No... I was suggesting that if you 'agree with climate change' then you wouldn't be recommending any investment in fossil fuel industries.


So your argument is no other oecd oil countries in the world apart from France and now us believe in climate change

:lol: :lol:

actually, I am just going to laugh.

:lol: :lol:


They are the only other one to stop oil


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35697
Location: in transit
Look man, I'm not really into playing that silly game where we get drawn into going round and round various stray ideas and end up light years away from wherever we started.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Posts: 576
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Look man, I'm not really into playing that silly game where we get drawn into going round and round various stray ideas and end up light years away from wherever we started.


This sort of thing happens when you accuse someone of not believing obvious, pretty much universally agreed science


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3781
To change the subject... Trump telling his people to get in on the TPP is going to be interesting. They'll want the small number of things that got written out to be back in, and the government's going to have to choose between engaging or obstructing. My guess is that they'll engage and the 'the end is nigh' crowd will have to choose between consistency and attacking Labour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 5251
Enzedder wrote:
I don't care what anyone else says now - do this and you are the best Government ever

Quote:
Government looking at making wheel clamping illegal

Transport Minister Phil Twyford says wheel clamping needs to be illegal - and he is working on legislation to make that happen.

Twyford said on Monday he was working with Consumer Affairs Minister Kris Faafoi on legislation that would ban the controversial practice.

"It is time to change the law and either ban wheel clamping or regulate it."

"I regard the wheel clamping industry as predators and bottom feeders," he said.

Regine Du Villier, 86, was confronted by a wheel clamper demanding $200 cash after she parked her car for 15 minutes because she was too ill to drive.

"I don't believe National's voluntary code of conduct has made a blind bit of difference. This latest case shows it's just not on."

Twyford's comments followed the story of an ill 86-year-old woman who was clamped in Henderson while she sought help for her medical condition.

The $200 fine was eventually voided by the clamping company, but only after police were involved.

Gordon Ward, a spokesperson for the Elite Parking Services, said that the clamper only saw a car illegally parked and not the person.

He rejected calls for a ban.

"Banning would be foolish because you are taking a tool for enforcement on private property," Ward said.

He said the Government should not be involved in regulating behaviour on private property.

In response to Twyford's description of clampers as "bottom feeders", Ward said Twyford was just a politician and "we know how everyone feels about them".

Elite Parking Services would not sign up to the current code of practice as it was currently written, Ward said.

The code was written by groups who advocated for drivers without substantial consultation with property owners, he said.

Automobile Association (AA) principle advisor Mark Stockdale said the organisation was against the practice of clamping and advocated for it to be made illegal.

"The AA's position is still that we want to see wheel clamping banned."

Alternatively, AA would like to see the private parking sector legally regulated, with greater public education around the rules.

"You can't enforce the rules if people don't know what the rules are."

Stockdale said many people who were clamped accepted that they were wrong, however complained the fine was "extortionate".

"Anyone in the parking business, if they are serious and want to improve compliance, then they should be looking seriously at adopting the code," he said.

Twyford did not know when a proposed law banning clamping would make it to Parliament.

While in opposition, Twyford spoke out against clamping and called for it to be banned.

Stuff


Yep, you've got bipartisan support on this one Enz. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1373
So will illegally parked vehicles be just towed away and impounded?
Hardly an improvement I would think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 3498
Location: NZ
This explains why there were no Russian spies for us to expel. They are doing it all remotely.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/103180837/gcsb-boss-says-there-are-indications-russian-statebacked-hackers-directly-threatened-nz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Big Nipper, DuncanF, Fangle, J Man, La soule, Laurent, Liquid_Len, Mullet 2, MungoMan, Saint, small fry, Ted., The Native, Tschussie, UncleFB, village, Wendigo7, Willie Falloon, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group