Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 337  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 am 

Interesting. I think National will go for either Bridges or Kaye.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am 

Hope Bill heads on back down south , he is a good bloke .

Im alsonhoping that Judith Collins gets the job , the left leaning fawning sycophantic media would collectively shit themselves with glee
but mainly it would be bloody good fun .

No doubt it will be some "young plastic media friendly " robot .

Last edited by Hareaway on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am 

Big fan of English and wish him all the best.

I think Adams is the best choice, but she may not go for it. She doesn’t have the ego of some of the others.

This will likely see national drop in the polls too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:19 am 

Hareaway wrote:

I presume you know him yeah?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am 

Well, first thing is to doff the cap for an outstanding contribution to the country. Second possibly is to mourn the retirement of someone with actual serious substance, there's not that many of them around. He did look like he was totally over it though.

The National cupboard looks rather bare after Key and English. It's deffo not Collins, deffo not Bennet, both far too divisive. Bridges meh, Adams and Kaye untested (I never dealt with her but senior managers at ACC when I was doing some stuff there in 14 /15 didn't rate Kaye at all - bullying loon was their view). Joyce no thanks. Brownlee, fcuk no. Anyone playing overseas who could be tempted back - Ryall? Jebus.

That young lad from United Future looked the goods. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

I presume you know him yeah?

Have met him couple of times , not at church though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Bennett or Collins, just for the craic thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 am 

Enzedder wrote:

Well that could work, for us at least. They'd both be sacrificial anode candidates - concede the next election to Ardern (we can lock that in right now) and let the party sort itself out while the caretaker leader goes a bit feral, for the craic as you rightly say. Neither will ever be PM but both can probably be more aggressive than any actual PM aspirant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 am 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

Well that could work, for us at least. They'd both be sacrificial anode candidates - concede the next election to Ardern (we can lock that in right now) and let the party sort itself out while the caretaker leader goes a bit feral, for the craic as you rightly say. Neither will ever be PM but both can probably be more aggressive than any actual PM aspirant.

Imagine Collins as PM :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 am 

Hareaway wrote:
the left leaning fawning sycophantic media

Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 am 

The media is definitely on a honeymoon with the left right now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Imagine Collins as PM :uhoh:

She's a bit like Terry Serepisos - why don't you take your poisonous MO and piss off to Australia where you'd fit in much better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

I would suggest that the media at large in NZ is simply very poor and heavily clickbait weighted. It's not a matter of leaning to one side or the other, it's just about being shit. They don't really try and offer any sort of reporting or journalism, they're full of clamouring opinionators.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 am 

Bejaysus .... Collins!!! That would be a show worth watching! Is it just me or is there a likeness here not only in looks but in character......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I would suggest that the media at large in NZ is simply very poor and heavily clickbait weighted. It's not a matter of leaning to one side or the other, it's just about being shit. They don't really try and offer any sort of reporting or journalism, they're full of clamouring opinionators.

I'm with you on that one. The media here is atrocious. RNZ is pretty much the only credible media outlet which as a public funded institution, probably does lean leftish.

Anyway, hard to think of a credible candidate from the Nats front benches. All have their issues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

Well, which is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Well, which is it?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I'm with you on that one. The media here is atrocious. RNZ is pretty much the only credible media outlet which as a public funded institution, probably does lean leftish.

Anyway, hard to think of a credible candidate from the Nats front benches. All have their issues.

I had my first experience of the workings of the NZ media back in the mid 90s. Was at Income Support running the implementation of the rather grandly-titled Prime Minister's Task Force On Employment that involved some, eh, tricky benefit adjustments over the lead-up to the '96 election. Rather hopefully I had a media release written to get ahead of a beneficiaries advocacy group that was starting to jump up and down, and... the bastards just published it. Totally word for word. Gobsmacked. That was 20+ years ago so gawd knows what razor-thin operations Stuff and so on are trying to run now.

Media 2.0 has to pop up at some point. In the meantime even my Guardian and Telegraph subscriptions have me rolling my eyes half the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Well, which is it?

:lol: very good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

Interesting.

Nah not much , but you do try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 am 

Time to get out of this new world if you can't lend a hand Hareaway, for the times are a changin....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 am 

Quote:

I think they just run with the popular sentiment. They still have callouses on their collective knee after fellating Key for 8 years

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:17 am 

maxbox wrote:
Time to get out of this new world if you can't lend a hand Hareaway, for the times are a changin....

I don’t even think Key got a ride this easy in his first few months , no one will ask this government any hard questions .
Don’t get me wrong I think they are doing a very good job but crikey it’s like (Michael) Joseph has arrived with his whanau

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:27 am 

Hareaway wrote:
maxbox wrote:

I don’t even think Key got a ride this easy in his first few months , no one will ask this government any hard questions .
Don’t get me wrong I think they are doing a very good job but crikey it’s like (Michael) Joseph has arrived with his whanau

He did and for a lot longer ... he won the press over with his folksy down toearth mymumwasonabenefittooandIgrewuptough talk ... as he preceeded to fvuck over a lot of people in the same position him and his mother were.

Bye bye Mr English, I don't there's been a finance minister since that cvnt Douglas who's done more to disadvantage a lot of lower socio-economic people.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 am 

Ruthanasia wasn't much fun for a lot of people, either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 am 

kiweez wrote:
Watch this space....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:48 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Santa wrote:
What is a children of the corn looking family? And what's wrong with trying to fill a gap in your knowledge, if that is why she went to Fonterra?

Jaysus, you guys have gone uber sensitive today (I thought it was supposed to be around the other way) - I didn't say there was anything wrong about trying to fill a gap in her knowledge. I asked why she would be embarrassed about it. There's lots of stuff I don't know about that I'd like to know about but I'm not embarrassed about not knowing it - there's only so much time in the day.

Your worst post ever, by far.

1/ out and out racism followed by

2/ a silly question about something confected by the journalist.

I've posted some inane shit (this place will do that to you) so hardly think it's the worst.

Funny to see you being the anti racism defender though - at any rate, I was being religious-ist or cult-ist, instead of being racist against one half of myself.

Also, you're telling me we can't trust journalists now? What has the world come to? Was any of that story true? Did she even want to learn about farming.

Wilderbeast wrote:

Some might be, but even Granny Herald that went Jacinda crazy made sure they kept their rightish lean up - hell, they even have a husband and wife opinion team in Hoskings and Hawkesby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 am 

Wignu wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
maxbox wrote:

He did and for a lot longer ... he won the press over with his folksy down toearth mymumwasonabenefittooandIgrewuptough talk ... as he preceeded to fvuck over a lot of people in the same position him and his mother were.

Bye bye Mr English, I don't there's been a finance minister since that cvnt Douglas who's done more to disadvantage a lot of lower socio-economic people.

Sure Thai Guy, the only government in the past 30 years to raise benefits across the board above the level of inflation was obviously hell bent on making life hard for lower socio economic people.

Wait, that wasn't Thai Guy? That post was so asinine, so poorly thought out and dishonest I just naturally assumed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 am 

I bet Labour are stoked that Bills retirement took yet another policy backdown off the headlines , they are making a habit of this. I guess charter schools are the next issue they'll about face on. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11992814

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:45 am 

Speaking of the Hurled - they have let Winston have a few words.

Quote:
Winston Peters has ignored gracious farewells to Bill English, instead launching a withering attack on the departing National leader - and his caucus.

The NZ First leader suggested it did not matter who was elected the next leader - as no one in National was capable of leading the party to victory at the next election.

Even English's political opponents have acknowledged his 27 years as an MP as the former prime minister announced today that he was quitting politics.

But Peters said English had "stabilised things under a very flighty leader called John Key, he did the hard yards, so to speak, but in the end, if you look at the concretisation of wealth in so fewer hands in that period of time, this cannot be regarded as a period of success economically."

Peters said he did not think anyone in the current National caucus could win the next election: "They can't debate. They may raise all the money in the world but money won't get you home next time.

"Whoever the next leader is, they're not going to be successful. That I can guarantee you."

Asked if he had any kind words for English, Peters said: "I'll leave those nice words to you.

"I don't think he wants to know about sympathy or otherwise. He's a big, grown, aged man, so to speak, and he's always known how rough this game is because he's been part of it, and [been] in fact inside coups, and sooner or later it will come to haunt you.

"That's what's happened here today."

Meanwhile those vying to replace Bill English as National leader are holding off on announcing their bids until later this week to give English a day for his announcement to sink in.

Possible contenders Mark Mitchell and Judith Collins were not commenting, saying it was English's day.

It appears the caucus had agreed not to make any announcements today out of respect for English.

Simon Bridges, Amy Adams and Jonathan Coleman, who are also considered likely to make a bid, are yet to be contacted.

Party whip Jami-Lee Ross also declined to discuss the process of the leadership election.

There is also a question mark about whether Steven Joyce will look at it.

English's deputy Paula Bennett is yet to make her own plans clear but is unlikely to go for the leadership.

National's leader is voted in by caucus and MPs believed the numbers of contenders would narrow down to two or three as the support levels became clearer.

That had happened when English was elected to take over from John Key at the end of 2016.

Few MPs had expected English to step down so soon so there had been little work "doing the numbers" on replacements.

English's announcement caught most of National's MPs by surprise. That appears to have included some contenders – Bridges was trapped in Tauranga by weather.

English said only Bennett and Joyce were told in advance.

Despite ongoing speculation about English's plans, MPs spoken to said they had not expected him to step down so soon.

Todd Muller was not at the caucus meeting where English and said he was saddened at English's decision.

"He's made his decision and I deeply respect that decision. He's got extraordinary values and I've seen them in action over many years. The National Party will notice him not being a part of it."

He would not comment on who he thought was best placed to take over.

Melissa Lee had just landed from the Winter Olympics in Korea when she heard the news. She said she was "very sad" and had not expected it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:01 am 

kiweez wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Watch this space....
You must hear a lot of chat in your job!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
Wignu wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Sure Thai Guy, the only government in the past 30 years to raise benefits across the board above the level of inflation was obviously hell bent on making life hard for lower socio economic people.

Wait, that wasn't Thai Guy? That post was so asinine, so poorly thought out and dishonest I just naturally assumed.
I've never had a stalker before. It feels weird.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 am 

Thai guy wrote:

In your case it's known as police monitoring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
I bet Labour are stoked that Bills retirement took yet another policy backdown off the headlines , they are making a habit of this. I guess charter schools are the next issue they'll about face on. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11992814
There's been no backdowns in government. This is a meme generated by government opponents in the blogosphere.

There has been compromise during the process of forming government, the water charge for instance but that was a Labour policy not a government policy.

The foreign buyer clause forcing them to sell within 12 months is odd I'll admit. I get what they're trying to do - that is to have foreign capital build houses and apartments, make their profit, then bugger off so that residents can buy and live in them creating stronger communities. Twyford has admitted it's not right so they are reviewing that part.

The rest is sound though and will help protect future generations from rapacious and sometimes corrupt speculator money distorting the residential property market.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:35 am 

Santa wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

In your case it's known as police monitoring.
I know the police struggle for decent recruits but that is scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 am 

On the upside Winston has said he is going Labour again so he is screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
Wignu wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Assumed it was one of your posts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am 

Dark wrote:

Give Ron Mark an uncontested seat a la ACT and we get 2 or 3 MPs. Probably won't need them but we won't fudge them over like National would

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Speaking of the Hurled.
Quote:
Bridges was trapped in Tauranga by weather.
Sure he was. :roll: Our own Kiweez knew about this on Friday and Bridges didn't? Righto.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:49 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Dark wrote:

Give Ron Mark an uncontested seat a la ACT and we get 2 or 3 MPs. Probably won't need them but we won't fudge them over like National would

True

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332 ... 337  Next