Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380 ... 430  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:35 am 

Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:
Work is about to start in Auckland on two light rail lines, not one - and the New Zealand Superannuation Fund wants to build, own and operate both of them.

Transport Minister Phil Twyford and Finance Minister Grant Robertson made the surprise announcement today. The ministers said Cabinet has agreed that work should start on both lines straight away, with an open tender process for the funding, construction and operation of the lines.

Quote:
The Super Fund proposes to put together a consortium of overseas pension funds, to take on all aspects of the project. It would raise the money and then take charge of construction and operation. The lines would be owned by the Super Fund.

Coming to this conversation late, but this caught my eye:

Quote:
It will be a commuter line connecting the 55,000 households already located on the route with the city's two-fastest growing employment centres – the city centre and the airport precinct. Tens of thousands more homes will be built along the route in the coming decades.

Going back to my old hobby horse of the need for decentrilisation, aren't they implementing a solution to a problem that could be solved a better way by forcing/incentivising the businesses that are growing those two areas, and thereby necessitating the need for this light-rail, to go and set up somewhere else in the country?

The worse thing is, in 20 years time, when the light rail won't have capacity, and people are hanging off the roof Delhi style, we'll be told that another several billion will need to be dropped on an overpass, or a subway etc, to meet the demand...the demand they are fucking creating by building the fucking infrastructure in the first place!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Auckland's volcanoes will sort the issue out soon JTB.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:44 am 

You want to relocate Auckland airport to the regions?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
maxbox wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Good times, good times...

this has brought back memories that really should have been scrambled beyond repair. :thumbup:

Did you guys get Solid in NZ?

Seems to be as rare as rocking-horse shit in Oz

What's solid? :blush:

#

ah... missed getting back to this most vital of questions.

the answer is no, and it's the same situation as Oz... doesn't seem to be such a favoured mode of consumption, basically. I've no idea why but suspect it might have something to do with the extra work involved in production and the added risk of discovery as a result. We used to roll heads up in tight balls and let the knives do the work on that.

Chur!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:
Work is about to start in Auckland on two light rail lines, not one - and the New Zealand Superannuation Fund wants to build, own and operate both of them.

Transport Minister Phil Twyford and Finance Minister Grant Robertson made the surprise announcement today. The ministers said Cabinet has agreed that work should start on both lines straight away, with an open tender process for the funding, construction and operation of the lines.

Quote:
The Super Fund proposes to put together a consortium of overseas pension funds, to take on all aspects of the project. It would raise the money and then take charge of construction and operation. The lines would be owned by the Super Fund.

Quote:
It will be a commuter line connecting the 55,000 households already located on the route with the city's two-fastest growing employment centres – the city centre and the airport precinct. Tens of thousands more homes will be built along the route in the coming decades.

Going back to my old hobby horse of the need for decentrilisation, aren't they implementing a solution to a problem that could be solved a better way by forcing/incentivising the businesses that are growing those two areas, and thereby necessitating the need for this light-rail, to go and set up somewhere else in the country?

The worse thing is, in 20 years time, when the light rail won't have capacity, and people are hanging off the roof Delhi style, we'll be told that another several billion will need to be dropped on an overpass, or a subway etc, to meet the demand...the demand they are fucking creating by building the fucking infrastructure in the first place!

The airport tram is a fuking terrible idea

Not future proof..doesn’t take any more time off the journey.. we need to be saving for an underground running off the CRL like most other cities

Yet another example of this stupid government trying to win votes from ignorant dimwits

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 am 

brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not future proof..doesn’t take any more time off the journey.. we need to be saving for an underground running off the CRL like most other cities

Yet another example of this stupid government trying to win votes from ignorant dimwits

:roll: Saving for how long? Any public transport initiative in Auckland is better than sitting on hands which is what successive govts have been doing and what your saving for plan would contribute to.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 am 

JB1981 wrote:
There was nearly an indecent exposure at our Minister's office this morning. The moral of the story is if you drop a pen on the way to meet with the Minister's staff, leave it. Otherwise like me you could be shuffling down Lambton Quay to buy an emergency pair of trousers, covering your front with a laptop but wondering about the view from behind, and arriving a few minutes late to your meeting.

On the plus side measuring my inner thigh would have been easy and the elderly male shop keeper asked if I played sport while measuring my buttocks :smug:.

Who’s your Minister..? Making you brave the damp, depressing drizzle..!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 am 

I always think that underground in NZ is courting disaster and huge disruption.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 am 

brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn’t take any time off the journey? Compared to what?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
maxbox wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Good times, good times...

this has brought back memories that really should have been scrambled beyond repair. :thumbup:

Did you guys get Solid in NZ?

Seems to be as rare as rocking-horse shit in Oz

What's solid? :blush:

#

ah... missed getting back to this most vital of questions.

the answer is no, and it's the same situation as Oz... doesn't seem to be such a favoured mode of consumption, basically. I've no idea why but suspect it might have something to do with the extra work involved in production and the added risk of discovery as a result. We used to roll heads up in tight balls and let the knives do the work on that.

...and oil. Gold preferably but more likely bright green.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 am 

kiweez wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
There was nearly an indecent exposure at our Minister's office this morning. The moral of the story is if you drop a pen on the way to meet with the Minister's staff, leave it. Otherwise like me you could be shuffling down Lambton Quay to buy an emergency pair of trousers, covering your front with a laptop but wondering about the view from behind, and arriving a few minutes late to your meeting.

On the plus side measuring my inner thigh would have been easy and the elderly male shop keeper asked if I played sport while measuring my buttocks :smug:.

Who’s your Minister..? Making you brave the damp, depressing drizzle..!

Stuart Nash. It was a meeting with his advisors though, not him.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doesn’t take any time off the journey? Compared to what?

Compared to taking a taxi through the water view tunnel and there’s bugger all difference with the existing sky bus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am 

UncleFB wrote:
brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:roll: Saving for how long? Any public transport initiative in Auckland is better than sitting on hands which is what successive govts have been doing and what your saving for plan would contribute to.

No it’s not - it will end up being another disjointed half done mess for years

I’m not talking about an underground all the way to the airport, of course it would come up earlier than that where we could use the existing heavy rail infrastructure as necessary ..we need an express future proof system, not a tram trundling down dominion rd causing even more chaos on dominion rd

Heavy express rail is the way to go.. part of the reason a city like Melbourne is looking at heavy rail rather than other options to the airport

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 am 

The reason light rail is preferred is because this is about more than just an airport connection. Give this a read: https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/2018 ... y-airport/

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 am 

brat wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Auckman wrote:
According to NZ Herald:

I’m not talking about an underground all the way to the airport, of course it would come up earlier than that where we could use the existing heavy rail infrastructure as necessary ..we need an express future proof system, not a tram trundling down dominion rd causing even more chaos on dominion rd

Heavy express rail is the way to go.. part of the reason a city like Melbourne is looking at heavy rail rather than other options to the airport

In case it missed your notice[ easy to do when you spend your life in near gridlock] , Auckland is a dormant volcanic field
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_volcanic_field
Underground simply is not an option because of the basalt flows criss-crossing the isthmus.

As a pimply youth i witnessed at close hand the cut for the southern motorway from Khyber pass to Newmarket.
It took 2 years longer than planned and at one stage they poured concrete into a lava cave , round the clock continuously for over 3 months and didn't succeed in filling it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:48 am 

Anyone else find it strange that Cindy held a presser to put Winston in his place ?Told us he will be her bitch

She basically shamed him in front of the whole country... god bless her :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 am 

I saw John Key walking along Lambton Quay today. He's put on weight.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:49 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
I quite like light rail. How's that for a counter-intuitive angle.

I'm not sure there are too many benefits of it all the way to the airport, but then what is sparsely populated / lightly developed there now, could be developed in a high intensity way in the future - I imagine that the fund's strategy is on all sorts of extras like that.

Public transport is fundamentally shite though. It takes you from somewhere you're not, to somewhere else you don't want to be, at a time you don't want to go, in the company of people you don't want to meet. And you're subject to someone else's control (secretly why the lefties love it). Nearly all the trains and buses I ever see are nearly empty.

It's ripe for disruption e.g. from self-drive cars, electric bikes, health / fitness driven moves to walking and cycling, more remote working, more flexible hours, Uber helicopters, naming and shaming the 'tards that drive precious little Josh 500m to school because it's cloudy, high-granularity road and congestion pricing, and all the things we haven't thought of yet. I reckon the move might go the other way - rip up metro train lines and create arterials for electric and normal bikes. I can dream anyway.

Disclaimer - used a bus to get from Cammeray to the NAB building in CBD Sydney a few weeks ago - awesome.

Is this satire?
Has to be. No one is that stupid unintentionally.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Tehui wrote:
I saw John Key walking along Lambton Quay today. He's put on weight.

I saw him going to hit golf balls in the driving range at the Golf Warehouse in Ellerslie with his son Max. Didn't really notice he'd put on weight. Just thought what an ordinary, non descript, middle age bloke he looked.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm 

Light rail from downtown Auckland to the airport is great if you're a tourist or a businessman starting your journey from downtown Auckland. For the 80-90% of travellers coming from other directions it's a fat lot of use.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:14 pm 

Businessmen are more likely to use a door to door taxi service than take the train given the company is usually picking up the tab and time is money.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:17 pm 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Businessmen are more likely to use a door to door taxi service than take the train given the company is usually picking up the tab and time is money.

But if the train service gets rid of a lot of cars from the roads, the taxis will move faster which is the whole point, is it not.

Win-win

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 pm 

brat wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
brat wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

Heavy rail from Onehunga (or Puhinui) is simply too expensive and won't carry anywhere near as many people as light rail could because light rail will go through central auckland as well as mangere to pick up all those people. The catchment area for light rail is simply larger than that of heavy rail. Also, going from Puhinui would involve huge swathes of land at Wiri for the rail loops to make the Puhinui connection feasible.

Rapid transit is designed for the peak periods. Consistency of travel throughout the day, even if it is 45mins from the airport to the CBD, at least it will be 45mins all day. With the taxi (and bus), it could be 20mins at 3am, 2 hours by 7am, 30mins at midday and 2 hours again by 4pm.

As Wilderbeast said, it isn't about the airport anyway. It is about relieving bus congestion on Dom Road/Symonds Street as well as servicing Mangere/Mangere Bridge as well as the Airport industrial zone (one of the largest, if not the largest, employment zones in the city outside of the CBD).

Anyway, the thing about light rail down Dom Road is that it takes the buses off that road. Those buses can then be redeployed elsewhere in Auckland. Bus congestion down Dom Road and Symonds Street is one of the key reasons why the light rail is being planned for this corridor. Taking a bus up Dom Road shouldn't have to take 30-45mins with 5-8 buses lined up one after another when they get into the major bottlenecks. One light rail set can take 450 people. A double-decker bus can only take up to 150. It is a no brainer to replace the buses with light rail.

Public transport gets those people off the roads who really don't need to be using the roads (eg: parents dropping kids off at school or workers simply going to work in an office in the CBD) and leaves the road free for those who really do need to use the roads (eg: truck drivers, contractors etc).

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:06 pm 

Light rail is a great fit for Auckland. I said above in the thread that I could see five lines in 35 years, that's how good I think it will be based on Auckland's size, density, geography, and growth.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm 

Enzedder wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

But if the train service gets rid of a lot of cars from the roads, the taxis will move faster which is the whole point, is it not.

Win-win

That would be a win win. I was just commenting regarding businesspeople actually using it themselves. If the rail option is hoping to get them as their customers then the results are likely to be disappointing.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 pm 

I've yet to hear anyone give a decent explanation how a light train to the airport is going to solve Auckland's traffic issues.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 am 

Dark wrote:
I've yet to hear anyone give a decent explanation how a light train to the airport is going to solve Auckland's traffic issues.

Have you read anything about it at all?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:47 am 

I travel between Auckland airport and the Epsom Newmarket area a lot for work and I've almost never had any issues. I do allow for traffic when booking my return taxi but usually that just gives.me a.bit of extra time to enjoy a beer at the airport.

So I'm not sure how.much impact the rail link will really have. Although I support the idea in principle if done well.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
I travel between Auckland airport and the Epsom Newmarket area a lot for work and I've almost never had any issues. I do allow for traffic when booking my return taxi but usually that just gives.me a.bit of extra time to enjoy a beer at the airport.

So I'm not sure how.much impact the rail link will really have. Although I support the idea in principle if done well.

As said in the link I provided, and Auckman’s post, this is about far more than a simple cbd airport connection.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 am 

I'll try and check that out later. On patchy free shopping mall WiFi at the moment watching the wife in her happy place.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:

As said in the link I provided, and Auckman’s post, this is about far more than a simple cbd airport connection.

That is old information and the airport tram plan has already been debunked as a secondary choice to heavy rail in city/regional plan, not withstanding the crl in all of this

The reason why the nzta didn’t go for heavy was the price tag.. all the other reasons are dubious at best

There’s a place for LR later on as required

I really haven’t got time to debate this now.. maybe at a later date. but I think you should do some more research other than Matt Lowry’s opinion on greater Auckland website

@grouch - you better tell them to stop tunneling for the crl then ..

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 am 

How refreshing it is to hear people like brat advocating for massive public transport infrastructure spending.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 pm 

When does the budget come out?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm 

J Man wrote:

2pm today

But Labour have promised that, so it may end up coming out over a 6 month period or not at all

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:27 pm 

J Man wrote:

All the journos were let in at 10.00am. They are literally locked up in a room poring over the budget documents until 2.00pm. Biggest day of the year for the Beltway.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 am 

I'd like to apologise in advance for Amy Adams and the cretinous comments she'll no doubt make today.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:57 am 

Christchurch is waiting to see if any of the stuff it was promised unconditionally prior to the election, but which became dependent on the budget post election, will actually happen.

It would be nice to think they could do a better job than Gerry. That really shouldn't be that hard to manage.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 am 

Brownlee still smarting from Orr’s comments I’d say.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:

Initially I'd imagine it will suit tourists who wish to spend a few nights downtown, but until other train lines are in place it would be of very little use to Auckland residents, few of whom live in the central city. A moderate amount of residents would consider a short taxi ride to the nearest station to connect to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 am 

3.1b surplus expected to rise to 7b by 2022. Excellent job by National.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380 ... 430  Next