Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385 ... 514  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
JB1981 wrote:
Who would be top of the Government's "Dear God what are they going to say/do next" list? The early contenders must be Twyford, Curran and Shane Jones but are there any other contenders?

Reminds of Gerry the Fat Controller refusing to go thru airport Security, Billy English rorting accommodation benefits and Paula Benefit revealing client benefit details and John pulling hair. and having cups of tea It evens out eh?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am 

Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Who would be top of the Government's "Dear God what are they going to say/do next" list? The early contenders must be Twyford, Curran and Shane Jones but are there any other contenders?

Reminds of Gerry the Fat Controller refusing to go thru airport Security, Billy English rorting accommodation benefits and Paula Benefit revealing client benefit details and John pulling hair. and having cups of tea It evens out eh?

Yeah. It does make good entertainment seeing them pull each other up on things though. Phil Twyford's calls for harsher action on Gerry Brownlie's security breach gave his onboard phone call a bit of humourous irony.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:09 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

Yeah. It does make good entertainment seeing them pull each other up on things though. Phil Twyford's calls for harsher action on Gerry Brownlie's security breach gave his onboard phone call a bit of humourous irony.

It is a bit tit for tit, isn't it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:14 am 

Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
JB1981 wrote:

It is a bit tit for tit, isn't it.

Tat. Tit for tat.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:27 am 

Not in this case - they're all tits.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am 

Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a tit.

Edit. Auto correct does not like tit.

Last edited by Fat Old Git on Fri May 25, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Not in this case - they're all tits.

Both. Both tits.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:14 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a rut.

I suppose you believe in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy too?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 am 

Hope and belief are two different things. I hope to win the big one when I but a lotto ticket as well. But don't really believe I will.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Hope and belief are two different things. I hope to win the big one when I but a lotto ticket as well. But don't really believe I will.

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:55 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Twyford does have a massive job on his hands trying to fix the destruction by the National government. Particularly as they'll continue to sabotage large scale house building because it might affect their voters' property portfolios.

You sir are a loon .. but it appears you are our loon so don’t change

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Tell you what. There is something very fishy about the people at the centre of the MCB disaster.

Wilma and Aad Van Leeuwen.
Alfons and Gea Zeestraten.
and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/104008639/waikato-farmer-reveals-his-farm-first-in-the-region-to-get-mycoplasma-bovis-cattle-disease

Seems like a closed group and you have to wonder if the stuff they were importing is the source. I hope the authorities find out.

One has a home detention bracelet .... it’s a thing in dairy circles

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:56 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Which is a shame. Surely we were hoping for an improvement in government but so far it seems to be more of the same. Be it real effective policy or acting like a tit.

Edit. Auto correct does not like tit.

I agree, in a lot of the key areas its simply been more of the same and I can't see that changing for either National or Labour for years. Sure, they've redirect funding into different priorities but I'm talking the politics side of things here. They've been just as difficult on transparency as National were, which is my biggest disappointment.

I think Jacinda has been a pleasant surprise though. My worries over her being found out in a position way above her head look a bit unfounded. She comes across as incredibly genuine, which is a very powerful thing in politics. John Key managed it too, though it was slipping towards the end (and he knew it).

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:58 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
She comes across as incredibly genuine, which is a very powerful thing in politics. John Key managed it too, though it was slipping towards the end (and he knew it).

She does... and I agree about Key but I think there's an effect of being in power for more than term where the genuine element becomes hard to maintain within a party machine.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:10 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Tell you what. There is something very fishy about the people at the centre of the MCB disaster.

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/104008639/waikato-farmer-reveals-his-farm-first-in-the-region-to-get-mycoplasma-bovis-cattle-disease

Seems like a closed group and you have to wonder if the stuff they were importing is the source. I hope the authorities find out.

Occam's razor says they fucked up but nothing suspicious, however if this affects milk prices then you could easily draw a straight line to a motivation.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 am 

Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

Does it extend to the whole farm? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:36 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

No unfortunately

Apparently and this is just gossip but the Zeestratens had a concrete cow statue outside the “home” farm , it has had its head smashed off .

Hard for people in the city to understand just how devastating this is for the people involved .
Some will never recover and the mental pressure must be immense.
A few will lose their entire life .. savings income and home..
Unfortunately I can see the already shocking rural suicide rates increasing.
There is no easy fix and pointing fingers fixes nothing .
This is our “mad cow” moment and the worst is still to come.
I hope our government quickly puts mental health initiatives in place to help these people and especially the children who will be the forgotten ones .
Dark days are coming for our economy.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 am 

Jesus... $880million at least and thousands of cattle culled. Holy crap.

This is one of those terrible, slow burn events where more and more are drawn into it.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:55 am 

Hareaway wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

No unfortunately

Apparently and this is just gossip but the Zeestratens had a concrete cow statue outside the “home” farm , it has had its head smashed off .

Hard for people in the city to understand just how devastating this is for the people involved .
I hope our government quickly puts mental health initiatives in place to help these people and especially the children who will be the forgotten ones .

Christ. This sounds serious. Keep us informed, I suspect you're ahead of what we will read in the media.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:59 am 

Sounds awful. I was in the UK in 2001 at the height of the Foot & Mouth outbreak. I shudder to think how much livestock was destroyed in that event and the impact that had on the farmers. In relative sounds, this livestock disease could have a similar impact.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:51 am 

Hareaway wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

and now Henk Smit.

All Dutch immigrants?

No unfortunately

I know some folks who,s farm bounds one of the above property's near Winton, they have worked damned hard for 35 years and recently put it on the market ,3 weeks later the bovis came to light next door,the agents have told them they are lookin at a 35% price reduction

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 am 

Should compensation be provided for those that fought and then neglected compliance?

More cooperate welfare for the happily ideological hypocritical I guess.

No surprises there .

In other news the three strikes law is soon gone .

Good job.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 pm 

eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fcuk going before the courts who has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been convicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fcuk up forever?

Last edited by jono45 on Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:31 pm 

jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fudge going before the courts has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been covicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fudge up forever?

It’s good because there is zero evidence it makes any difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?
there is currently a sick fudge going before the courts has beaten a person to the edge of their life , been covicted, then raped and murdered , convicted, now potentially done the same again ,wtf is wrong with locking the sick fudge up forever?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:34 pm 

Is there evidence it does harm though?
To my knowledge the only person unreasonably affected by this had their sentence reduced when the judge used their discretion and common sense.

It seems like an ideologically driven change, much like the charter schools and the 90 day trial period

I think the general public are fairly ambivalent about these things

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:37 pm 

deadduck wrote:
To my knowledge the only person unreasonably affected by this had their sentence reduced when the judge used their discretion and common sense.

It seems like an ideologically driven change, much like the charter schools and the 90 day trial period

It costs more to keep people in prison than out of prison. If that person were in the workforce it’s a double whammy.

Agree it’s more ideology than anything, but there is more justification in this instance than charter schools or 90 days imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm 

Yeah imagine locking someone up just because they've committed 3 serious, violent offenses? How harsh can you get?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:38 pm 

jono45 wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?

:lol:

You think otherwise?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:

It costs more to keep people in prison than out of prison. If that person were in the workforce it’s a double whammy.

Agree it’s more ideology than anything, but there is more justification in this instance than charter schools or 90 days imo.

What about the social cost? How many crimes per year committed by reoffenders do you think we can accept as a society before the cost of keeping them in prison becomes justifiable?
Because the families of the victims of violent crime would no doubt say even one is one too many.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 pm 

deadduck wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:

What about the social cost? How many crimes per year committed by reoffenders do you think we can accept as a society before the cost of keeping them in prison becomes justifiable?
Because the families of the victims of violent crime would no doubt say even one is one too many.

I don’t see this as a trade off. I haven’t seen a shred of evidence to imply crime goes down as a result of this law. Otherwise I might agree with you. As it is we are stuck with overpopulated prisons and a desperate need for more space and a largely unaffected crime rate.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 pm 

deadduck wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
deadduck wrote:

i would say one is justifiable, i suppose the charter school hating unionist types would be outraged, money shouldn"t even be part of the equation, take some out of wffs if the purse is empty

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:49 pm 

Widerbeast
Quote:
I don’t see this as a trade off. I haven’t seen a shred of evidence to imply crime goes down as a result of this law. Otherwise I might agree with you. As it is we are stuck with overpopulated prisons and a desperate need for more space and a largely unaffected crime rate.

Good grief.
It is self evident that when a repeat offender is locked up his criminal activity ceases
As for the cost of keeping violent murderers and rapists locked up?
That is an argument for capital punishment, not an argument for letting monsters loose on the streets.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:49 am 

Edit: misread your post.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:32 am 

Babywatch. Any day now. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:08 am 

Thai guy wrote:

I misread that as:

Thai guy, you are clearly a massive fan but please refrain from making comparisons between the PM and the woman in the middle :thumbup:.

I'm guessing the lady on the left specialised in shallow water rescues.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:
jono45 wrote:
eugenius wrote:

Good job.

why is this good ?

This particular piece of legislative crap paper had its genesis in the good ol' usa , where it props up the highest incarcerated population in the world and underwrites the bottom line of he Corrections Corporation of America , Serco etc etc.
http://www.correctionscorp.com/
Our rates of incarceration have increased dramatically since this was introduced along with major changes to the Bail laws and US style court processes that introduced 'plea bargaining" .

When all this is combined with our grossly outdated [and flawed since day 1] Drug laws then you have a system that turns the young and stupid into Crim School graduates in short order.

I've been pretty unimpressed with the coalition performance so far , but the fascists at head office may just regret rolling Andrew Little , he seems to be on a mission to sort out some of the major garbage introduced by Key/Collins.

Kia kaha Andrew , go hard.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am 

JB1981 wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

I misread that as:

Thai guy, you are clearly a massive fan but please refrain from making comparisons between the PM and the woman in the middle :thumbup:.

That picture led me to look up what Nicole Eggert (Summer Quinn) on the far left is up to now. That reminded me that she was on Charles in Charge with Scott Baio. That led me to discover #ScottBaiotoo.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am 

Santa wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

I misread that as:

That picture led me to look up what Nicole Eggert (Summer Quinn) on the far left is up to now. That reminded me that she was on Charles in Charge with Scott Baio. That led me to discover #ScottBaiotoo.

That's Buddy Lembeck, that is.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 am 

Santa wrote:
JB1981 wrote:
Thai guy wrote:

I misread that as:

Wow. It has been going newcular too

Quote:
Nicole Eggert alleges disease that killed Scott Baio’s unborn child is ‘nonexistent’

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/globalne ... child/amp/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, 384, 385 ... 514  Next