Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 442  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:33 am 

Hareaway wrote:
So this fred that i started asking if we could trust David Cunliffe has reached the holiest of all holy numbers

426 baby ...426 !!!

This is Gold from National , been laughing all day . They look like a bunch of over entitled Takapuna Grammer 6th formers .
Peters may want to be careful what he wishes for though .

Here , first!
Come back David , all is forgiven. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:00 am 

grouch wrote:
Hareaway wrote:
So this fred that i started asking if we could trust David Cunliffe has reached the holiest of all holy numbers

426 baby ...426 !!!

This is Gold from National , been laughing all day . They look like a bunch of over entitled Takapuna Grammer 6th formers .

Here , first!

You've ruined it by taking us to 427!

;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 am 

grouch wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

426 baby ...426 !!!

Here , first!

Even him being a man?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:10 am 

Maybe we should all give in finally and allow Winston to appoint himself Generalissimo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:15 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Maybe we should all give in finally and allow Winston to appoint himself Generalissimo.

He has all the requisite qualities bar one, but it's a crucial one.

The man needs to grow a mo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 am 

Hilarious day. Thoughts:

- have to say JLR appeared credible on the TV news, and Bridges looks shifty (Paula would go down as well if JLR has the goods)
- suspect he might have broken the law himself taping conversations without consent - what effect that has who knows
- Newshub at least is already taking the position that you can't criticise JLR too hard as he's got mental health issues, which makes Bridges' defence rather difficult!
- Press smell blood in the water, they're going to go hard
- and after Labour and NZ First got away with it with little comment from the press, it'll be very interesting to see where the Polis goes with it - if it's a slam dunk they'll either have to prosecute and set a precedent (great IMO) or be consistent in ignoring all electoral / political stuff and put up with mass outrage from the press

Popcorn bought, sitting back in the lazyboy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am 

A bit of a trainwreck of an interview with Simon Bridges this afternoon. Repeatedly dodged direct questions about donations from Zhang Yikun. Every journo in the country would've listened in on that today (as well as his earlier stand-up where he dodged questions) and smelled blood in the water. He could've shut those questions down with a nice and easy "no".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What a complete shambles. This is the sort of behaviour that resulted in Labour losing support 10 or so years ago. I never thought I'd see the National party implode like this.

Really? I thought it was always a matter of time once Key (and less so English) were gone?

I didn't expect a nuclear bomb to go off like this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:50 am 

Tehui wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
Tehui wrote:
What a complete shambles. This is the sort of behaviour that resulted in Labour losing support 10 or so years ago. I never thought I'd see the National party implode like this.

Really? I thought it was always a matter of time once Key (and less so English) were gone?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:51 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:52 am 

UncleFB wrote:
Tehui wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:06 am 

Enzedder wrote:
This won't make a blind bit of difference to the poll figures. (But man, it is funny to watch)

National could be led by a duck (they probably are) and still get their 44%. What they need is a leader who can bring in the swing voters and put together a coalition and right now they don't have anyone capable of that.

Or wait for the 45-60 y.old demographic to die of natural causes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am 

Bridges is onto a loser here

Half the press are now saying he is picking on a bloke with mental issues by saying he is full of it, complete with expert opinion and the other half are saying he isn't saying enough so looks shifty

What a train wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:34 am 

The trouble for National is who do they replace Bridges with?

Collins? Mitchell? Barclay? Adams? Bennett?

A fairly unlikable bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am 

deadduck wrote:

Don't mind Mitchell

And he knows how to kill people which is always handy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:52 am 

Dark wrote:
Bridges is onto a loser here

Half the press are now saying he is picking on a bloke with mental issues by saying he is full of it, complete with expert opinion and the other half are saying he isn't saying enough so looks shifty

What a train wreck

Yeah it's a cluster.

The 'burning Bridges' thing will run and run. Peters found a song Burning Bridges and played it to the press gallery. Haha!

Bridges is fckued if for no other reason than people just don't like him and it's a good craic watching him crash and, ah, burn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am 

deadduck wrote:

Bring Back Bill! Bring Back Bill! Bring Back Bill!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:01 am 

Hilarious. How to turn an irrelevance into a disaster. At this rate Cindy won't even need another pregnancy to distract from her incompetence.

Should be a fun few weeks. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am 

Santa wrote:
Hilarious. How to turn an irrelevance into a disaster. At this rate Cindy won't even need another pregnancy to distract from her incompetence.

Should be a fun few weeks. :lol:

Well that's where we're at. 18 years of world class - maybe even world-leading - government and here we are with a useless government and a worse opposition! Giddy up! it's going to be a wild ride.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 am 

Even as a long time leftie I can't say I think this is hilarious as it is kind of unprecedented in NZ politics to see this kind of raw meltdown and you have to worry about the long term mental health of both Ross and Bridges who will struggle to distance themselves from this in everything they do in their futures. The whole thing just seems tragically unfortunate. Almost House of Cards like in that it comes accross like two not two clever people have been set up and manipulated to destroy each other for someone elses gain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 am 

tubbyj wrote:
Even as a long time leftie I can't say I think this is hilarious as it is kind of unprecedented in NZ politics to see this kind of raw meltdown and you have to worry about the long term mental health of both Ross and Bridges who will struggle to distance themselves from this in everything they do in their futures. The whole thing just seems tragically unfortunate. Almost House of Cards like in that it comes accross like two not two clever people have been set up and manipulated to destroy each other for someone elses gain.

Whether to be sympathetic or not is an interesting one. On one hand I think sorry chaps that's the game you're in and the way you've played it. On the other hand it's just not pleasant to see. I think I'm about 85%/15%.

If there is actual serious mental illness in there that might tip the balance for me quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am 

Santa wrote:
tubbyj wrote:

Whether to be sympathetic or not is an interesting one. On one hand I think sorry chaps that's the game you're in and the way you've played it. On the other hand it's just not pleasant to see. I think I'm about 85%/15%.

If there is actual serious mental illness in there that might tip the balance for me quite a lot.

There might be some mental illness with jlr, though to recover in a week suggests it's a strange one. But what is more certain is that the country has been saved from a particularly fcked up and cretinous individual. And he may have opened the festering scab of Nationals links with China. Nationals top tier are third rate, and party head honchos have got.some work to do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:21 am 

Of course there’s a degree of unhealthy behaviour exhibited... one or both of them are going to struggle and the suggestion from Bridges that JLS is unhinged suggests perhaps both are rattling in the breeze a bit. There’s no joy to be had in that and my amusement is directed at the party and all who sailed in aboard the rusty leaking hell bucket. Seneca makes a decent point about maybe cleaning some rot out as a result... that would be a good outcome, otherwise it’s just a tragicomedy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:07 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Of course there’s a degree of unhealthy behaviour exhibited... one or both of them are going to struggle and the suggestion from Bridges that JLS is unhinged suggests perhaps both are rattling in the breeze a bit. There’s no joy to be had in that and my amusement is directed at the party and all who sailed in aboard the rusty leaking hell bucket. Seneca makes a decent point about maybe cleaning some rot out as a result... that would be a good outcome, otherwise it’s just a tragicomedy.

November 18 is the 40th anniversary of the Jonestown mass extinction , if I was a gnat I'd be very wary of any caucus meeting called that day.....

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Santa wrote:
tubbyj wrote:

There might be some mental illness with jlr, though to recover in a week suggests it's a strange one. But what is more certain is that the country has been saved from a particularly fcked up and cretinous individual. And he may have opened the festering scab of Nationals links with China. Nationals top tier are third rate, and party head honchos have got.some work to do.

Yeah the top tier were basically held together by the quality of Key and English. I don't know much about the next rung down. That young woman we discussed earlier in the thread could be quality but she probably needs some seasoning. The problem is the talent that would naturally gravitate to national is being well paid elsewhere.
Labour on the other hand is probably probably operating much further up its quality scale. Which is quite funny really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 pm 

Santa wrote:
Santa wrote:
tubbyj wrote:

Yeah the top tier were basically held together by the quality of Key and English. I don't know much about the next rung down. That young woman we discussed earlier in the thread could be quality but she probably needs some seasoning. The problem is the talent that would naturally gravitate to national is being well paid elsewhere.
Labour on the other hand is probably probably operating much further up its quality scale. Which is quite funny really.

Nicola Willis?

People who don't understand these things don't realise how good we had it with key and English. They really were that good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 pm 

Chris Bishop is the talent in the wings. He’s biding his time though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 pm 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Hilarious day. Thoughts:

- have to say JLR appeared credible on the TV news, and Bridges looks shifty (Paula would go down as well if JLR has the goods)
- suspect he might have broken the law himself taping conversations without consent - what effect that has who knows
- Newshub at least is already taking the position that you can't criticise JLR too hard as he's got mental health issues, which makes Bridges' defence rather difficult!
- and after Labour and NZ First got away with it with little comment from the press, it'll be very interesting to see where the Polis goes with it - if it's a slam dunk they'll either have to prosecute and set a precedent (great IMO) or be consistent in ignoring all electoral / political stuff and put up with mass outrage from the press

You are allowed to record a conversation you are part of without the other party's permission. It's when you record other people having conversations that you run into trouble - a la Todd Barclay.

JLR's bigger problem is that if the donation allegations prove true, he will become a party to that and will also be open to prosecution. He said as much during his presser yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 pm 

Santa wrote:
Santa wrote:
tubbyj wrote:

Nicola Willis?

People who don't understand these things don't realise how good we had it with key and English. They really were that good.

Yes , need to give credit where its due.

Quite a coup really , making a bunch of talentless, visionless halfwits with an overgrown sense of entitlement look like a cohesive political movement.

Mind you ,the decades long influence of Michelle Boag is more likely the source of the discipline.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:31 pm 

Key and English had the respect of their peers, that is why. No one respects Bridges so his leadership suffers.

National is a mess, although I am inclined to believe them and not Ross (something really odd about that guy)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:32 am 

Maniototo Man wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Hilarious day. Thoughts:

You are allowed to record a conversation you are part of without the other party's permission. It's when you record other people having conversations that you run into trouble - a la Todd Barclay.

JLR's bigger problem is that if the donation allegations prove true, he will become a party to that and will also be open to prosecution. He said as much during his presser yesterday.

If Ross is a genuine whistle blower, or can be perceived as such, it's not a good look for National and Bridges to pillorying him.

As per above, National need to rebuild regardless, so if the have the gumption this could be just what they need.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 am 

Wilderbeast wrote:

He's my local MP and I've seen and chatted with him at several events over the years. Hard working, but I wouldn't see him as the sort of talent to be a successful PM or senior front bencher

Let's face it, the quality of the average MP is atrocious. Chris Bishop is not in that category, but if he's the best parliament has to offer now, then we're in real trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

He's my local MP and I've seen and chatted with him at several events over the years. Hard working, but I wouldn't see him as the sort of talent to be a successful PM or senior front bencher

Let's face it, the quality of the average MP is atrocious. Chris Bishop is not in that category, but if he's the best parliament has to offer now, then we're in real trouble.

I agree.

It pervades all aspects of society and in IMO is a direct consequence of Kiwi brain drain /diaspora that commenced in Muldoon's watch and hasn't abated much since then.

There's a price to pay for exporting your well educated ,trained, motivated , free -thinking young and replacing them with conservative middle class , middle aged ,immigrants with capital [ even those that can speak english]

To quote the 'colourful' Sir Robert Jones : " anyone with any get-up and go , has got up and gone "

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 am 

Tomorrow's news on today's Daily Blog.

The murky water around Simon is beginning to smell of old & largely forgotten crimes.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2018/10/17/well-well-well-aaron-bhatnagar-and-dirty-politics-is-back-inside-national-party-politics/

"Well, well, well – Aaron Bhatnagar and Dirty Politics is back inside the National Party

This is getting dirtier and nastier but this time around the sleepy hobbits of muddle Nu Zilind don’t have the laid back anti-intellectualism of John Key to absolve their conscience and ignore corruption, they have bumbling Simon Bridges. Key could look down the barrel of the camera and lie to our faces and the sleepy hobbits loved him for it, Simon can’t lie convincingly and they will turn on him.

National Party voters love a good liar, they detest a weak one. "

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 am 

Bridge's is gone burger

Just heard one of the tapes.

He was talking about list mps. Which ones to ditch. Said one was useless. Said 2 Chinese ones are worth more than 2 Indians.

I'm sure all parties have the same conversations, but there is no way he could live that down.

The donation is a bit irrelevant.

Far out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:34 am 

The mere suggestion of choosing potential MP candidates based on ethnicity to suit a potential donor is going to go down very badly with National voters, I would think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 am 

Dark wrote:
Bridge's is gone burger

Just heard one of the tapes.

He was talking about list mps. Which ones to ditch. Said one was useless. Said 2 Chinese ones are worth more than 2 Indians.

I'm sure all parties have the same conversations, but there is no way he could live that down.

The donation is a bit irrelevant.

Far out

Really :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
The mere suggestion of choosing potential MP candidates based on ethnicity to suit a potential donor is going to go down very badly with National voters, I would think.

You’d hope it’ll go down badly with anyone, regardless of who they vote for.

It smells m’lud.
Like a rotting thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 am 

Just heard it too. The MP he slams is Maureen Pugh.

Maureen Pugh is f**king useless though. Isn't she also an anti-vaxxer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

You’d hope it’ll go down badly with anyone, regardless of who they vote for.

Well, yes, but it doesn't change the political landscape if a few people already voting Labour/Green take umbrage at this tape.

On the other hand, if Nats supporters are angry about this, there could be an impact on their polling. You'd think NZF would be the primary beneficiary, and they probably could do with it. Surely some real solid material for Winston to make hay with in there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 442  Next