Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435 ... 445  Next
 Post subject: Re: NZ Politics Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Trudeau is the world’s ‘ Anti-Trump’ in my view. Ardern may be the antipodean version but she doesn’t have nearly the same profile internationally as JT.

This is pretty accurate imo.

Things would be sadly out of whack if it wasn’t.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:10 pm 

Wilderbeast wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Trudeau is the world’s ‘ Anti-Trump’ in my view. Ardern may be the antipodean version but she doesn’t have nearly the same profile internationally as JT.

Yes. Unsettling information.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
In the progressive world of our Cantab /Perth hipster friend Guy Smiley is there any criticism that can be levelled at Jacinda A that isn’t based on the fact she’s a woman? Is she so perfect that she’s utterly beyond reproach.

Because it seems to me that if you label any criticism of her as a result of sexism, it deflates and distracts the criticism making it all about identity. This is, of course, a very a very popular tactic amongst the regressive left but I’m onto you, bro.

Dude, I’m just playing with the narrative in here. There’s very little criticism mounted that isn’t based on her gender making her unsuitable for the role.

Sen, describing the Oz media as leftist is an own goal mate. It’s dominated by Murdoch. #dominated

There is almost no criticism based on her gender except perhaps the pregnancy bit. The main criticism is her lack of experience which has nothing to so with her gender and everything to do with her lack of experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:13 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Yeah Slater is a dickhead. Zero time for him.

I said above that the party have got to continue to delouse them from him and lusk. It has to be constant and continual because part of their stated strategy is that they can outlast any politician, who tend to be here today gone tomorrow.

Incidentally I downloaded lusks book yesterday. It's pretty clearly written, but not an indication of any great genius. A lot of obvious stuff.

I guess if you're a spectacular enough c.unt then pathways are available that are not apparent to others. And that can look like innovation or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:25 pm 

Santa wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

I think that's a misformulation. I would tecastbit that almost every conventional politician in the West is an anti-Trump because Trump is the anti-figure. To put it another way, the question is not who or what is the anti-Trump but rather who or what Trump opposes. Trump is the disruptor so the anti-Trump is everything that he is disrupting.

Something like that anyway.

He’s an attractive, young establishment figure who is glossy and says the right on things. In that way he’s the anti-Trump.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:27 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Santa wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

I think that's a misformulation. I would tecastbit that almost every conventional politician in the West is an anti-Trump because Trump is the anti-figure. To put it another way, the question is not who or what is the anti-Trump but rather who or what Trump opposes. Trump is the disruptor so the anti-Trump is everything that he is disrupting.

He’s an attractive, young establishment figure who is glossy and says the right on things. In that way he’s the anti-Trump.

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Things would be sadly out of whack if it wasn’t.

The question remains, if Ardern shot someone on Courtney Place, would she lose your vote?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:32 pm 

Santa wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Yeah Slater is a dickhead. Zero time for him.

I said above that the party have got to continue to delouse them from him and lusk. It has to be constant and continual because part of their stated strategy is that they can outlast any politician, who tend to be here today gone tomorrow.

Incidentally I downloaded lusks book yesterday. It's pretty clearly written, but not an indication of any great genius. A lot of obvious stuff.

I guess if you're a spectacular enough c.unt then pathways are available that are not apparent to others. And that can look like innovation or something.

My buddy did a longish feature on Whale Oil a few years back and he’s a very odd individual. If I remember correctly he was claiming compo for years due to some shady accident he had yet was pretty aggressive towards anyone he considered a dole bludger.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
In the progressive world of our Cantab /Perth hipster friend Guy Smiley is there any criticism that can be levelled at Jacinda A that isn’t based on the fact she’s a woman? Is she so perfect that she’s utterly beyond reproach.

Because it seems to me that if you label any criticism of her as a result of sexism, it deflates and distracts the criticism making it all about identity. This is, of course, a very a very popular tactic amongst the regressive left but I’m onto you, bro.

Dude, I’m just playing with the narrative in here. There’s very little criticism mounted that isn’t based on her gender making her unsuitable for the role.

Sen, describing the Oz media as leftist is an own goal mate. It’s dominated by Murdoch. #dominated

Utterly .

Sen is really starting to lose it .

His facts were usually pretty damn solid , even if the interpretation was happily loaded.

But this was way way off !

🤔

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:48 pm 

Santa wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

There is almost no criticism based on her gender except perhaps the pregnancy bit. The main criticism is her lack of experience which has nothing to so with her gender and everything to do with her lack of experience.

And her Idiocy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:57 pm 

eugenius wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Utterly .

Sen is really starting to lose it .

His facts were usually pretty damn solid , even if the interpretation was happily loaded.

But this was way way off !

🤔

Murdoch can't find enough right wingers to fill his papers these days. You want to see the flagship Sunday Times now. Wall to wall identity politics feminism and SJWism. There simply aren't any right wing journos coming out of the brain washing schools.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:59 pm 

Baloney.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Santa wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

His ridiculous behaviour on his trip to India and then his "we say peoplekind" carry-on are turning him into someone who can't be taken seriously. He's become a self parody.
I don't think he's someone the world should look to for leadership.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:41 pm 

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/10/18/2 ... 7Xc9s6e1g4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:16 pm 

deadduck wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Santa wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

His ridiculous behaviour on his trip to India and then his "we say peoplekind" carry-on are turning him into someone who can't be taken seriously. He's become a self parody.
I don't think he's someone the world should look to for leadership.

Tell that to the Saudi’s.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:35 pm 

Santa wrote:
tecastbit

OK - at the very real risk of becoming all pedantic-stalkery...

wut?

posit?

suggest?

promulgate?

Its not the globalism/nativism debate that will end mankind

Its the complete breakdown of communication from "smart"phone typing

Covefe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 pm 

eugenius wrote:
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/10/18/282957/national-officials-must-answer-for-ross-cover-up?fbclid=IwAR2hEyL9W2K9TwknFC01zge8NGI5t_g-7iheTolFHh45SPX7L7Xc9s6e1g4

Hmmm, interesting.

What is also interesting is why is the leader and an MP dealing directly with donations rather than the party?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 am 

Santa wrote:
kiweez wrote:
Santa wrote:
Bradbury is a ranter. I tried to read the Daily Blog for a while but it has zero substantial content. That article is just a screed.

As to the partisanship, yes it's a problem, and frankly quite bizarre in New Zealand which is actually a low variance political country.

Take grouch's post a few back. Does that accurately describe life under National? It sounds terrible. It sounds worthy of an armed revolution. It sounds like rubbish. It is hysterical.

We could do with a little less of that kind of shit and a little more acknowledgement of where New Zealand actually sits in a global context, which is as an irrelevant (sorry Jacinda but you are irrelevant), relatively boring (political nutcases aside), but exceptionally safe and stable country at the bottom of the world. And long may it stay that way.

I think TDB has far better contributors than WH. Slater attracts rancid racists and climate change deniers. Mostly it’s islamiphobia and Tommy Robinson YouTube clips these days.

Sure Bomber can get ranty, and I’ve argued against some of his views, but jeez....I’ll take that over the turgid Slater and his “Spanish Bride” any day. Fat fuck.

I don't care about Slater. I don't read it. I don't care. My point was about Bradbury. It's not much of a point to say that he's better than the worst guy.

So you got me disagreeing with you about Bomber, and my opinion on Slater. Twofer. You’re welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 am 

Ted. wrote:
eugenius wrote:
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/10/18/282957/national-officials-must-answer-for-ross-cover-up?fbclid=IwAR2hEyL9W2K9TwknFC01zge8NGI5t_g-7iheTolFHh45SPX7L7Xc9s6e1g4

Hmmm, interesting.

What is also interesting is why is the leader and an MP dealing directly with donations rather than the party?

True.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:20 am 

One thing that's annoying me at the moment is that if Climate Change is supposed to be this government's Nuclear Free moment, then why are they still letting Kiwirail replace the NIMT electric locomotives with diesels. The business case apparently didn't stack up financially in the first place, diesel has only got more expensive since and the sign-off is only weeks away. Sounds more like another trite political soundbite with each passing day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
One thing that's annoying me at the moment is that if Climate Change is supposed to be this government's Nuclear Free moment, then why are they still letting Kiwirail replace the NIMT electric locomotives with diesels. The business case apparently didn't stack up financially in the first place, diesel has only got more expensive since and the sign-off is only weeks away. Sounds more like another trite political soundbite with each passing day.

And Wellington got rid of electric buses in favour diesel. I know the infrastructure was ageing, but why invest in old, dirty technology.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 pm 

A sitting MP apparently restrained under Section 109 of the Mental Health Act is unprecedented , apparently after police "visited" Ross at his electoral office.

There are many aspects of this story that warrant open discussion.

JLR was the party 'bag man' .

He had all details on ALL the dirty money flowing into the Gnat dirty tricks campaign coffers .

ie when & from whom.

He threatened to expose ex PM Key's involvement in such matters.

His " mental stability " has been 'dog whistled' for over a week.

The bar for involuntary sectioning is very high.
It means he was either a clear and present risk to himself, or to others. Very often, family members will be rightly concerned about a person, but they will not be sectioned because despite being very obviously unwell, they are not yet a risk to themselves or anyone else. A person’s autonomy is held very highly in mental health.
So the events immediately prior to the police intervention are of significant public interest.

The response from the government over the next 24 hours will be interesting.
Because.
There are glaring parallels here with what takes place with dissidents in the country of origin of much of the cash passing through JLR's hands.

The assumption can be made that JLR and the Gnats are not the only beneficiaries of such cash windfalls.

IMO , the coming week is quite likely the most critical for NZ , in political terms, in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:55 pm 

grouch wrote:
A sitting MP apparently restrained under Section 109 of the Mental Health Act is unprecedented , apparently after police "visited" Ross at his electoral office.

He had all details on ALL the dirty money flowing into the Gnat dirty tricks campaign coffers .

ie when & from whom.

It means he was either a clear and present risk to himself, or to others. Very often, family members will be rightly concerned about a person, but they will not be sectioned because despite being very obviously unwell, they are not yet a risk to themselves or anyone else. A person’s autonomy is held very highly in mental health.
So the events immediately prior to the police intervention are of significant public interest.

Because.
There are glaring parallels here with what takes place with dissidents in the country of origin of much of the cash passing through JLR's hands.

The assumption can be made that JLR and the Gnats are not the only beneficiaries of such cash windfalls.

IMO , the coming week is quite likely the most critical for NZ , in political terms, in my lifetime.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's good enough for me.

LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:58 pm 

grouch wrote:

ie when & from whom.

Because.

The question is why. Why has Ardern commanded the police to section Ross. Is it to save National? Or to damn them...?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm 

Santa wrote:
grouch wrote:

ie when & from whom.

Because.

The question is why. Why has Ardern commanded the police to section Ross. Is it to save National? Or to damn them...?

Grouch in uncharacteristic discrete mode here but the heart of the matter is, IMO

Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 pm 

grouch wrote:
Santa wrote:
grouch wrote:

ie when & from whom.

Because.

Grouch in uncharacteristic discrete mode here but the heart of the matter is, IMO

Quote:

But why has Ardern ordered the police into action when Ross wasn't even dissidenting against her or the government? Unless... unless National actually controls the police.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm 

It looks like if Ross is still detained in six months his seat becomes vacant, so this looks like a power grab by Labour to increase the coalition majority by winning the resulting by-election if there is one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:00 pm 

Santa wrote:
grouch wrote:
Santa wrote:
grouch wrote:

ie when & from whom.

Because.

Quote:

But why has Ardern ordered the police into action when Ross wasn't even dissidenting against her or the government? Unless... unless National actually controls the police.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12058818

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:02 pm 

Does anyone know the latest poll results? I want to see if the Cluster-fcuk opposition has lost support, or whether voters are attracted to their discord and discontent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 pm 

On a positive note , long overdue IMO
" New Zealand could be a step closer to increasing the minimum residency required to get New Zealand Superannuation after a bill proposing an increase from 10 to 20 years was drawn from the parliamentary ballot.

New Zealand and Australia currently have the lowest residency requirements in the OECD at 10 years for eligibility to the state pension while the average across the OECD is 26 years.

But a bill put forward by New Zealand First MP Mark Patterson could change that, if it gains support from other political parties.

Patterson's bill proposes raising the minimum residency from 10 to 20 years after the age of 20 - meaning a childhood spend in New Zealand would not count towards the qualification."

I'd also support a bill limiting access to public funded healthcare for immigrants over the age of 30.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 pm 

How will we tell who is who, give them all patches or armbands?
:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:15 pm 

grouch wrote:

Quote:

But why has Ardern ordered the police into action when Ross wasn't even dissidenting against her or the government? Unless... unless National actually controls the police.[/quote]
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12058818[/quote]

I mentioned five eyes on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87249&p=5727308&hilit=five+eyes#p5727308

I can't imagine why the US would share any serious intelligence with NZ atm. Both our main parties look hopelessly comprised. When it comes to the realities of the complexities of immigration we are just about the dopiest clowns around. What a luxury.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:32 pm 

grouch wrote:

Quote:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12058818[/quote]

I mentioned five eyes on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87249&p=5727308&hilit=five+eyes#p5727308

I can't imagine why the US would share any serious intelligence with NZ atm. Both our main parties look hopelessly comprised. When it comes to the realities of the complexities of immigration we are just about the dopiest clowns around. What a luxury.[/quote]

Have they ever?
Your assumption that '5eyes' is anything other than a major plank for suppression , is flawed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 pm 

deadduck wrote:

Nice - 👍🏼

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 pm 

grouch wrote:
grouch wrote:

Quote:

I can't imagine why the US would share any serious intelligence with NZ atm. Both our main parties look hopelessly comprised. When it comes to the realities of the complexities of immigration we are just about the dopiest clowns around. What a luxury.[/quote]

Have they ever?
Your assumption that '5eyes' is anything other than a major plank for suppression , is flawed.[/quote]

I don't know how five eyes works. Funny that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:36 pm 

In a classic John Pilger moment ;

" I never believe anything until it's officially denied"

RNZ:
"Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is defending New Zealand's transparency when it comes to party donations and says the country is free from foreign interference."

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/369215/jacinda-ardern-defends-political-donation-system

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:41 pm 

grouch wrote:

RNZ:
"Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is defending New Zealand's transparency when it comes to party donations and says the country is free from foreign interference."

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/369215/jacinda-ardern-defends-political-donation-system

Rare Grouch and Seneca crossing moment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 pm 

grouch wrote:

RNZ:

8)

I"m not a member of the Cindy fan club.

I've called out her and her leadership cabal - Robertson/hipkins/twyford , repeatedly for what they are;

Neolibs / 3rd way Blairites / Tory lite .

But , MP for MP this current government outplays the previous by several orders of magnitude .

The good work being done so far is well out of the superficial vision of our talentless and fatuous media .

Much of this 'good' work is in fact , working through and reversing the apalling shite enacted and implemented by NACT 08-17.

Charter Schools , Imprisonment for profit etc.

Last edited by grouch on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm 

deadduck wrote:

In this day and age , everybody that presents themselves for healthcare identifies themselves to administration prior to any care - even those in severe trauma .

Who you are is established without the need for such quaint 19th century embellishments .

A little known fact that escapes the foot soldiers for neo-liberalism.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 pm 

grouch wrote:

RNZ:

Strange bedfellows.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17767 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435 ... 445  Next